• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Smarch 2015 |OT| Toronto is tanking on purpose this time.

Merguson

Banned
Maybe it's just me, but the Leafs look like they have a bit more jump in their game tonight.

trade deadline is over so they don't have to think about getting potentially traded for several months at least..

so they'll just play..

and go on a 10-game winning streak.

Yawnier

Banned
Maybe it's just me, but the Leafs look like they have a bit more jump in their game tonight.

Not just you, the pressure is off the core being traded (for now and next short while).

Also that Hoobooderdoo-Barkov-Old Man Jagr line looks dangerous

For those of you wondering when Lundqvist is coming back, here's AV's answer today:

Meanwhile, here's what Lundqvist was up to today:

Not 1000% convinced at this point that this isn't some ruse to keep Hank super rested for the playoff run. :D

Don't worry, AV has had success with riding backups.

Lundqvist to demand a trade in 2017.

That's two players, by my count.

Phaneuf is not worth a 1st and a prospect. Period. I expect the Leafs to try to get that return anyhow, but I'm surprised to see some Leafs fans here actually arguing that's his value.

Phaneuf is only 29 (though he does have a lot of mileage). He's no Norris candidate but would be a solid No. 2/3 on most teams. If the Leafs retain a significant part of his salary he's worth a first and a prospect. Coburn is 30 and was worth a first, a third, and a roster player.

Quick

Banned
Dat face.

iYgaiQMmxj2XC.jpg

iyaTzX1N2OULe.jpg

I don't think anyone is saying he was worth Mantha, but I don't see anything wrong with Jurco or Pulkkinen + a 1st if the Leafs are taking bad contracts back.

If Detroit wanted Toronto to retain salary (probably 1.5 to 2M per season) then yes the return should be a late first + Mantha and probably a couple of cap dumps.

If all Detroit wanted to give up was a third-rounder then they weren't ever going to get him. A late first-rounder and a prospect is fair, imho.

You're right! The Leafs are still getting hosed in that deal.

edit:

zroid, I saw the same graphs earlier. Eakins should get another shot in the NHL with a better roster. I wouldn't mind him returning to the Leafs org in some capacity, although it seems like he's waiting for a h/c call.

All in response to Mantha being said prospect. Pretty sure there are a few more but you get the picture.

Socreges

Banned
Again. Two players on expiring contracts. It really depends if another GM thinks that contract and term is worth the price for Phaneuf.

Had those two players been signed to longer and reasonable deals, there'd be no question.
Don't worry, AV has had success with riding backups.

Lundqvist to demand a trade in 2017.

Phaneuf is only 29 (though he does have a lot of mileage). He's no Norris candidate but would be a solid No. 2/3 on most teams. If the Leafs retain a significant part of his salary he's worth a first and a prospect. Coburn is 30 and was worth a first, a third, and a roster player.
Yes. Of course. And that's the crux of this. Phaneuf is deteriorating and has 6 seasons left at $7m per. How much of that are the Leafs going to chew to make that digestible? For 6 seasons?

Santorelli and Franson got that return because they're also good candidates for resigning. An expiring contract also means an absence of baggage. Again, Phaneuf's contract looks bad now and he's on year 1 of 7 at a time when it's much harder to wipe away bad deals.

Yes. Of course. And that's the crux of this. Phaneuf is deteriorating and has 6 seasons left at $7m per. How much of that are the Leafs going to chew to make that digestible? For 6 seasons?

Santorelli and Franson got that return because they're also good candidates for resigning. An expiring contract also means an absence of baggage.

That's basically where I'm coming from on all this as well. Phaneuf ain't getting any better, you can put him up against lesser competition but at that point just go for a cheaper guy with a less ridiculous contract.

Legwand dives and gets Ottawa their first powerplay.

Stewart looks good. Haven't noticed Leopold at all, which is probably good. Bergenheim is definitely growing on me.

Top Bottom