• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Smarch 2015 |OT| Toronto is tanking on purpose this time.

As a sample (and nobody here may care anyways), I thought I'd tackle Beaulieu's performance based on the statistical breakdown.

In last night's game, Beaulieu did not play a large role in bringing the puck into the offensive zone (defenseman rarely do), but did manage to carry the puck in the one time he did (as opposed to dumping it in). Where he excelled was in preventing San Jose from entering Montreal's zone; players targeted him 10 times at even strength when attempting to enter Montreal's zone, and Beaulieu only allowed the opposing player to carry the puck in three times. He broke up the play on one attempted entry, and forced dump-ins on the remainder. Therefore, Beaulieu led the team in neutral zone defense, with players carrying the puck in only 30% of the time when targeting Beaulieu.

Where Beaulieu struggled was his performance in the defensive zone. Beaulieu touched the puck 11 times in his zone at even strength, and 7 of those 11 times resulted in turnovers. While the whole team struggled with defensive zone turnovers, Beaulieu still led the team in them and was behind only Smith-Pelly in Turnover %.

While it's difficult to make broad comments after only one game, I would imagine that as a young player, Bealieu has the potential to be a great player based on his neutral zone performance. However, he needs to work on limiting bad turnovers in his own zone, as most young defenseman do.

Well . . . it is Silicon Valley. What can I say? We love data.

ZeroGravity

so why must bishop be the starter? I mean vasi sure is coming along quite nicely. Plus he is way more energetic when I see him at games.
Vasi will be better than Bishop someday, but he's not right now. You don't want to rush a young goaltender before they're ready.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Nice play from the Stars to end it. Islander defender did a shit job there, didn't take the shooter or close the lane.

So embarrassing.. WTF happened to Lehtonen?

Edit: despite the tying goal going off Benn.
No idea, he doesn't look even close to the same player he used to be

Red_Man

Also from this (admittedly very small) sample, Desharnais looks good on paper, even if he isn't suited for the 1st line.
He's not a bad player, he's just not an NHL center. He's good enough to be a depth 3rd line winger, but that's it. He's not skilled enough to center a top 2 line or big enough / good enough defensively to center a bottom 2 line.

The Nucks better not squander this 5 on 3.

Which means they probably will.

image.php

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Stole a point, just like that Caps game about two weeks ago. I'll take it, but sloppy overall.

Excellent episode of Justified tonight, btw.

Red_Man

#FlaPanthers Dale Tallon said if Robb Tallas wasn't cleared and a player was only option, team was thinking about NOT PLAYING A GOALIE
That would have been incredible. With how much pressure the Panthers were laying on the Leafs at the end there, they probably would have tied it.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
That would have been incredible. With how much pressure the Panthers were laying on the Leafs at the end there, they probably would have tied it.

Somewhere Roy is sitting thinking "fucking copycats"

Tabris

Henrik Sedin has more points than anyone drafted year 2000 or later.

With that 2nd goal, he entered the top 100 list of all time point leaders.

Only active players in this list - Jagr, Iginla, Marleau, Thornton, Lecavalier, St.Louis, Hossa, and Elias

Sad that he still can't even get respect from some of his own fan base. But looking at the above list, I assume Joe Thornton and Marleau also don't get respect sometimes from their fan base. Funny how both SJS and VAN, who have suffered from bad playoff luck, have top players in top 100 who don't get enough respect. Such similar teams in a lot of ways.

Smiley90

Henrik Sedin has more points than anyone drafted year 2000 or later.

With that 2nd goal, he entered the top 100 list of all time point leaders.

Only active players in this list - Jagr, Iginla, Marleau, Thornton, Lecavalier, St.Louis, Hossa, and Elias

Sad that he still can't even get respect from some of his own fan base. But looking at the above list, I assume Joe Thornton and Marleau also don't get respect sometimes from their fan base. Funny how both SJS and VAN, who have suffered from bad playoff luck, have top players in top 100 who don't get enough respect. Such similar teams in a lot of ways.

Henrik has 899 points since 2000/2001
Getzlaf has 669 since 06/07
Crosby has 833 since 05/06
Ovechkin has 879 since 05/06
Malkin has 696 since 06/07
Kane has 557 since 07/08

Definitely think he's in the top10 of this decade, but not at the top. All the guys below him WILL pass him at some point, likely. Crosby and Ovechkin are pretty much guaranteed. Don't think there's any Canucks fans that don't think extremely highly of Henrik/Daniel though oO

Acid08

Banned
Henrik has 899 points since 2000/2001
Getzlaf has 669 since 06/07
Crosby has 833 since 05/06
Ovechkin has 879 since 05/06
Malkin has 696 since 06/07
Kane has 557 since 07/08

Definitely think he's in the top10 of this decade, but not at the top. All the guys below him WILL pass him at some point, likely. Crosby and Ovechkin are pretty much guaranteed. Don't think there's any Canucks fans that don't think extremely highly of Henrik/Daniel though oO

Tabris is just trying to be a victim pretending like he's the only one who loves these generational, franchise players.

Tabris

Henrik has 901 now :)

But yes, some of those will pass. Ovechkin and Crosby for sure. The rest are situational, a lot of them have play styles that don't age well.

But anyways, they should, they are generational talent. Don't know how that argues against my points though?

Don't think there's any Canucks fans that don't think extremely highly of Henrik/Daniel though oO

Go to any article or forum thread about Sedins and you will see Canuck fans who still call them sisters.

Smiley90

But yes, some of those will pass. Ovechkin and Crosby for sure. The rest are situational, a lot of them have play styles that don't age well.

But anyways, they should, they are generational talent. Don't know how that argues against my points though?

I don't know, I never really do, actually

Smiley90

TIERNEY ON A BREAKAWAY WITH SCOTT

... he shoots, to the surprise of everyone

then john scott the "hockey player" misses the rebound :lol

Go to any article or forum thread about Sedins and you will see Canuck fans who still call them sisters.

Yeah . . . but the lost.

they are 3 behind and they still go with an empty net? WTF?

I'm not sure if I respect that or laugh at it.

Fake edit: and they score on the empty net again.

Top Bottom