• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Smarch 2015 |OT| Toronto is tanking on purpose this time.

VG6Tds8.png

Olli <3

Sundin was my Favourite Leaf. Miss that Man.

Would love to see him come back as a GM or something

Quick

Banned
I still can't believe this was an issue.

Honestly, I think there should be some level of accountability when it comes to these things. Taking legal action probably isn't the best course to take, but I think an apology isn't too much to ask. It really crossed the line. I'm sure players and people in the public are used to getting shit on, but that was just too much.

On TSN's end, more strict regulations on screening these things should be in place. I'm assuming they had it all automated with a script in place to weed out offensive material, but it didn't pick it up on that particular tweet.

On that note, apparently TSN won't be publishing tweets during live broadcasts anymore.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Honestly, I think there should be some level of accountability when it comes to these things. Taking legal action probably isn't the best course to take, but I think an apology isn't too much to ask. It really crossed the line. I'm sure players and people in the public are used to getting shit on, but that was just too much.

On TSN's end, more strict regulations on screening these things should be in place. I'm assuming they had it all automated with a script in place to weed out offensive material, but it didn't pick it up on that particular tweet.

On that note, apparently TSN won't be publishing tweets during live broadcasts anymore.

Yeah I think it's on TSN more than the guy who made the tweet really. As people joked about when this all hit, half of us in here would be threatened with lawsuits by these standards if our posts were slapped onto a national broadcast. I can definitely understand Phaneuf being pissed, but I guess I was just turned off by the immediate "I'm going to sue you!" tantrum. If it were my tweet, I would have immediately said "hey man I'm really sorry, I was joking around with the eight people who actually follow me and I didn't expect it to actually go on TV."

Yeah I think it's on TSN more than the guy who made the tweet really. As people joked about when this all hit, half of us in here would be threatened with lawsuits by these standards if our posts were slapped onto a national broadcast. I can definitely understand Phaneuf being pissed, but I guess I was just turned off by the immediate "I'm going to sue you!" tantrum. If it were my tweet, I would have immediately said "hey man I'm really sorry, I was joking around with the eight people who actually follow me and I didn't expect it to actually go on TV."

The problem is that he put the hashtag on it that would have got it on TV, and I'm pretty sure from a legal standpoint that matters. Frankly I hope they do sue the guy. You can't go making baseless accusations just because you think you're anonymous.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
The problem is that he put the hashtag on it that would have got it on TV, and I'm pretty sure from a legal standpoint that matters. Frankly I hope they do sue the guy. You can't go making baseless accusations just because you think you're anonymous.

Oh come on. He wasn't trying to convince anyone it was true, he was making a joke. There's a difference.

Calamari41

41 > 38

Was it that clear cut? If so, even then I would put most of the blame on TSN quite frankly. But yeah, if adding that hashtag was known to be a direct flight ticket to having your message on everybody's screen then the dude knew what he was doing as well. I was thinking maybe he put the hashtag on sarcastically, as many are wont to do.

Oh come on. He wasn't trying to convince anyone it was true, he was making a joke. There's a difference.

There are better things to joke about. If you can get sued for a joke it's probably not the right one to make.

Anyways that he tried to get it on TV is going to make a difference when trying to establish damages, to be specific.

Was it that clear cut? If so, even then I would put most of the blame on TSN quite frankly. But yeah, if adding that hashtag was known to be a direct flight ticket to having your message on everybody's screen then the dude knew what he was doing as well. I was thinking maybe he put the hashtag on sarcastically, as many are wont to do.

You'd probably be able to sue over that tweet anyways, you just wouldn't be able to prove damages if only eight people saw it.

Calamari41

41 > 38
You'd probably be able to sue over that tweet anyways, you just wouldn't be able to prove damages if only eight people saw it.

I don't know man, it's a clear joke rather than an accusation of actual infidelity or wrongdoing. By this logic, can I sue for defamation the 12 year old who calls me a gay slur on Xbox Live if I record the statement?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
There are better things to joke about. If you can get sued for a joke it's probably not the right one to make.

Anyways that he tried to get it on TV is going to make a difference when trying to establish damages, to be specific.

Louis CK jokes about fucking peoples pets, among other terrible things. There are better and worse things to joke about, it was clearly a joke. Late night talk show hosts say worse things about celebrities during their monologues.

If this guy were a hockey blogger or something it would clearly be a different story. He's just some random dude who made a stupid joke. The only reason it's funny is because TSN failed to do their job and put it on TV.

Top Bottom