• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Smarch 2015 |OT| Toronto is tanking on purpose this time.

Solo

Rinne's numbers are falling. Looks like the Vezina is Price's barring a catastrophe in the last 16 games. I think he'll get a Hart nom too.

The sad thing about what's going on in SJ is much of their troubles this year were self-inflicted... they were fantastic last year, but they just made all the wrong decisions to try and "fix" stuff that didn't need fixing.

Actually this doesn't sound all that different from Leafs Summer 2013 -- except they weren't fantastic, and the stuff they "fixed" made them into a bottom feeder instead of a playoff bubble team.

Do the Sharks need fixing though? They're a competitive playoff team with top-tier talent, decent depth, and good prospects. Thornton and Marleau are getting old but Couture, Vlasic, and Pavelski look ready to take the reins. McLellan is a coach many teams would love to have.

If they make the playoffs and avoid LA all bets are off. But then again they could end up like the Canucks: a former contender who hung onto the old guard too long. (The Sharks have younger up-and-coming leadership. There's going to be a giant hole in the lineup when the Sedins retire, that's for sure.)

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Rinne's numbers are falling. Looks like the Vezina is Price's barring a catastrophe in the last 16 games. I think he'll get a Hart nom too.
Not just the nomination, he's the favourite for it. Everyday there's a new article from writers from all over lobbying for him to win it. The only way he doesn't is as you say, he has some melt down in this final stretch.

zroid

Banned
Do the Sharks need fixing though? They're a competitive playoff team with top-tier talent, decent depth, and good prospects. Thornton and Marleau are getting old but Couture, Vlasic, and Pavelski look ready to take the reins. McLellan is a coach many teams would love to have.

If they make the playoffs and avoid LA all bets are off. But then again they could end up like the Canucks: a former contender who hung onto the old guard too long. (The Sharks have younger up-and-coming leadership. There's going to be a giant hole in the lineup when the Sedins retire, that's for sure.)

The Sharks aren't that good this year to be perfectly honest. They have enough organizational depth to come out of it, but even if they make the playoffs, they aren't a contender this time around.

Also I like TMac but he's been consistently giving John Scott ice time all year. I don't know if that's pressure from above or what, but it's not a good look.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
This is a much different Habs GAF from when I started on GAF 10 years ago (ugh). Malakhov, X26, Foreign, MPW, Wolf.....all gone. I barely post myself these days. Still watching all the games, but the GF living with me has basically meant my GAF time is limited to when I'm at work.
The times, they are a changin'

zroid

Banned
The number of "legit NHLers" on the Leafs is dropping like flies :lol

I half want to see TJ Brennan called up now but it doesn't look likely

I do too -- I think they will eventually. Brennan will help the Marlies reach the playoffs, they're definitely in a critical stretch right now. Playoff experience will be good for Brown, Nylander, et al.

zroid

Banned
So uhhh what's our blue line look like?

Umm...

Gardiner-Phaneuf
Rielly-Erixon
Brewer-Granberg

Code:
                                                     _..----.._                                   
                                                    ]_.--._____[                                  
                                                  ___|'--'__..|--._                               
                              __               """    ;            :                              
                            ()_ """"---...__.'""!":  /    ___       :                             
                               """---...__\]..__] | /    [ 0 ]      :                             
                                          """!--./ /      """        :                            
                                   __  ...._____;""'.__________..--..:_                           
                                  /  !"''''''!''''''''''|''''/' ' ' ' \"--..__  __..              
                                 /  /.--.    |          |  .'          \' ' '.""--.{'.            
             _...__            >=7 //.-.:    |          |.'             \ ._.__  ' '""'.          
          .-' /    """"----..../ "">==7-.....:______    |                \| |  "";.;-"> \         
          """";           __.."   .--"/"""""----...."""""----.....H_______\_!....'----""""]       
        _..---|._ __..--""       _!.-=_.            """""""""""""""                   ;"""        
       /   .-";-.'--...___     ." .-""; ';""-""-...^..__...-v.^___,  ,__v.__..--^"--""-v.^v,      
      ;   ;   |'.         """-/ ./;  ;   ;\P.        ;   ;        """"____;  ;.--""""// '""<,     
      ;   ;   | 1            ;  ;  '.: .'  ;<   ___.-'._.'------""""""____'..'.--""";;'  o ';     
      '.   \__:/__           ;  ;--""()_   ;'  /___ .-" ____---""""""" __.._ __._   '>.,  ,/;     
        \   \    /"""<--...__;  '_.-'/; ""; ;.'.'  "-..'    "-.      /"/    `__. '.   "---";      
         '.  'v ; ;     ;;    \  \ .'  \ ; ////    _.-" "-._   ;    : ;   .-'__ '. ;   .^".'      
           '.  '; '.   .'/     '. `-.__.' /;;;   .o__.---.__o. ;    : ;   '"";;""' ;v^" .^        
             '-. '-.___.'<__v.^,v'.  '-.-' ;|:   '    :      ` ;v^v^'.'.    .;'.__/_..-'          
                '-...__.___...---""'-.   '-'.;\     'WW\     .'_____..>."^"-""""""""           
                                      '--..__ '"._..'  '"-;;"""                                   
                                             """---'""""""

Red_Man

Good job, good effort

tumblr_nkyid29i041t1om7ho1_1280.jpg

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So the team played a good defensive game and the new 4th line with Sheppard looked great and had a whole bunch of chances. So you know what that means!

TANNER GLASS RETURNS TOMORROW NIGHT

Red_Man

History will be made tonight in Detroit when 33-year-old Evgeny Romasko becomes first Russian referee to work a #NHL game. #RedWings #Oilers
God damn commies taking over our game, is nothing sacred?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
By the way, as an update on Lundqvist, he will not be traveling with the team for any of the three remaining road games this week.

Don't think AV would put him in the next day against the Panthers without full practices with the team first, so I think you can safely say that Hank will continue to be out until AT LEAST next Wednesday's game against the Blackhawks.

Red_Man

#Habs record vs #TBLightning: 0-2-0.

#Habs record vs six other East teams currently in playoffs: 14-2-1.
Really interested to see how they play tomorrow. We have 5 new players since the last time we played Tampa, hopefully Montreal actually shows up this time.

Samyy

I would love if Strome fell that low.

Well they said the ranking is based on where they see players in comparison to their peers, not necessarily where they would go in the draft. Personally I don't think theres much change Strome falls that low but Barzal would be a great pick from 7-10.

I think it'll be hilarious if we pick Provorov just for those amazing Cherry + crazy Leaf fan reactions

Acid08

Banned
@CurtisPashelka: Ben Lovejoy on #SJSharks "They come at u with a ton of speed and a ton of skill, and I think my new team is better equipped to handle that"

#shotsfired at the Ducks

We're definitely worse this year, no question. I wouldn't be surprised to see TMac and DW gone in the offseason. TMac I would be kinda eeeeh on, I'd like him to stay. DW can fucking kick rocks after the garbage offseason he had. It just demonstrated that he doesn't know where to take this team and then ended up making all the wrong decisions.

The same problem this team has had for almost a decade now is still its main problem: not enough quality complimentary players. The Stuarts, Griers, Hannans, McLarens, Mitchells, Whites of the league. Our top end talent has always been there, the supporting cast never is and that's DW's fault.

Tabris

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Matthias-Bonino-Vrbata
Dorsett-Vey-Burrows
McMillan-Horvat-Hansen

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Sbisa
Stanton-Corrado

Lack

Defence finally looking better. Surprised Kassian is still on the top line.

Good coaches give players a chance to have bad games and develop chemistry with line mates instead of shuffling the lines constantly.

Top Bottom