• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Stanley Cup Final |OT| Beat LA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think Quick was out too far, I don't like how goalies can play outside the paint and expect immunity.

It isn't "immunity." You have to understand the inverse of such a rule would unequivocally "mark" a goalie for ever leaving the crease. You can't have that.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It isn't "immunity." You have to understand the inverse of such a rule would unequivocally "mark" a goalie for ever leaving the crease. You can't have that.
Goalies should be fair game outside of the paint, if you're outside and get bumped it shouldn't be interference. Obviously running a guy intentionally like Lucic did isn't right, but they shouldn't be as protected as they are now whenever they leave the paint. It's pretty obvious there that Pouliot was just trying to get in front of the net.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I actually think Quick was out too far, I don't like how goalies can play outside the paint and expect immunity.

He was definitely way out there, but Pouliot has to know better. That's going to be called every time.

I think we did alright to weather the storm at the start. Only down 1 is a lot better than it looked like it might have been, and the push in the second half of the period was looking pretty promising. Quick looks sharp for the most part, but he's also leaving some juicy rebounds out there (so is Hank, for that matter).

Need to get it back in the 2nd. Trying to claw back from behind in the third may be impossible tonight.

Goalies should be fair game outside of the paint, if you're outside and get bumped it shouldn't be interference. Obviously running a guy intentionally like Lucic did isn't right, but they shouldn't be as protected as they are now whenever they leave the paint. It's pretty obvious there that Pouliot was just trying to get in front of the net.

"Fair game" is exactly what the rule is designed to prevent. Your suggestion about variances in the form of contact is written into the rule itself. Incidental contact and/or necessary contact is permitted. You can't suggest "fair game" and then suggest degrees of fairness.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like that's the first time I've heard Boyle's name tonight.

This is the kind of game he needs to be prominent in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom