• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Goody

OK, so I got my PS3 on Sunday and have been playing this. I absolutely adore this game. It's so incredibly charming and whimsical. I am not at all far in the game but I can really tell this game is something special.

Is there any trick to getting familiars around the time you first learn how to? I have a side quest to tame one of these green banana bastards and I've killed about 30 of them with no luck yet. It's aggravating to have a quest rely on random chances. It's the only thing keeping me in this desert region.

I got it in 3 tries somehow. Either keep at it or come back later when you can raise the chances of familiar catching.

So teens in the 50s were three-and-a-half feet tall?

I'd chalk that up to the art style.

TDLink

I most certainly love jrpgs, good ones at least. Combat seemed interesting enough, im debating getting this or Xenoblade

Get both. They are both special and definitely the two best RPGs this gen. That being said, Xenoblade is better. So if you absolutely have to choose, choose Xenoblade (especially since it is getting harder and harder to find).

But really, get both.

HOLY SHIT

Just got
Tengri

Freaking game changer and epic music to go along with it. So damn cool. Way better than
a lame old airship

madhtr

Okay.... hearing "Good evening" every few seconds playing Platoon is going to drive me insane.... WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?

Edit: And I suck at this... I can never get through 6 rounds :/

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
No chance of Griffy and Flutterby on PSN later on?

It's Namco and they love paid DLC but at the same time I wouldn't get my hopes up.

HOLY SHIT

Just got
Tengri

Freaking game changer and epic music to go along with it. So damn cool. Way better than
a lame old airship

Yeah. It's the music that does it too. I was kind of hoping for the
airbikes
shown in the Wizard's Compendum though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Esther why don't you use Iron-Man
Swaine why don't you use Full Boar

WHY DO I GIVE YOU PEOPLE CREATURES IF YOU DONT USE THEM

TDLink

Esther why don't you use Iron-Man
Swaine why don't you use Full Boar

WHY DO I GIVE YOU PEOPLE CREATURES IF YOU DONT USE THEM

I gave my Swaine Tin-Man/Iron-Man/Beam-Man and he uses it all the time. Try swapping the characters you are using them on maybe.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Ok, I am running the Dinoceros gauntlet. Where' the best place to find them? i'm on the cliffs around the Trials place now

madhtr

I finally had to turn the sound off... Platoon is great if you get lucky (or are actually good).... It all depends on the hand you're dealt, though. I've hit 70k coins now, though. So addicting, been playing for 3 hours without realizing it.

But seriously, having someone say "Welcome" and "Good Evening" every few seconds is an awful decision. I hate having to turn the sound off on this game, but come on...

Stencil

I'm in the equipment shop, why is it showing two different sword-looking stats for my familiars? What's the green sword with the plus symbol?

Also, as an aside, I love how you can move the camera during dialogue. Not only a good distraction from bland dialogue, but it quenches my inner-cinematographer's thirst.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in the equipment shop, why is it showing two different sword-looking stats for my familiars? What's the green sword with the plus symbol?

Also, as an aside, I love how you can move the camera during dialogue. Not only a good distraction from bland dialogue, but it quenches my inner-cinematographer's thirst.

The copper colored sword icon is attack and the blue colored it magical attack.

Eusis

I dunno, I tend to mostly play games/watch cartoons with decent tracks or no VA, so this sounds really poor in comparison.
Yeah, it's definitely not Chaos Wars bad, but I wouldn't call that "really, really bad" either.
I consider a lot of it average, but not really POOR. But then I suppose Level 5 writing (under good localization) hovers around bland, neither being amazing (I expect the localization did A LOT for this) or utterly terrible (tri-Ace).
do you like jrpgs? yes or no. If yes then get it. If no then don't?
Well, each of the three lower reviews were actually from people who either like JRPGs or at least have significant JRPG experience (Kimberly Wallace, Phil Kohler, and Bob Mackey) and others have been lukewarm, so it's far from a guarantee. I'm actually suspecting those who like JRPGs but have written off handhelds entirely while wanting a more traditional one are the ones most likely to be pleased here.

But, yeah, if you really want a JRPG on consoles then you should give this a shot. I haven't gotten too far in, just about two hours, so I can't really speak either way yet.

one_kill

Some local shops here in Sydney have broken street date. Unfortunately it was around 4pm and most shops close at 5pm.

I'm okay to wait one more night til I get my copy. I can't wait! Only discovered the game a week ago and now I'm really hyped.

So. I just thought I'd mention that I love this game. Just in case you guys didn't know. Yep. I love it. I already want a sequel. Right now. Will it happen? Maybe not. Still want one. I love you, Level 5.

one_kill

Just saw an eBayer who's been selling DLC codes. He/she has sold about 4 or 5 codes for Flutterby for about $45. That's so insane!

Makes me want to put my DLC codes up for sale.

How long is this game approximately?

I am currently looking for something to play after finishing Demons Souls, and I need something completely different to play inbetween tackling Dark Souls after that...

How long is this game approximately?

I am currently looking for something to play after finishing Demons Souls, and I need something completely different to play inbetween tackling Dark Souls after that...

Some say 40 hours. I'm around 48 hours and at least somewhat close to the end but I spent a lot of time capturing familiars and leveling them, also doing every side quest I could find.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dynoceros favorite food isn't chocolate or flan, but his other stats are like 1% compared to his Phys Attack and Def.
tumblr_ly7ejq26m31qm6oc3o1_500.gif

Anyone know the stats /metamorphosis info for Griffy. I can upgrade him to his ultimate form but I don't k ow hitch one to go with or if he will learn more spells and shouldn't upgrade him yet

BluWacky

I was just looking through the wikipedia entry on the game. Was there really a save glitch? Did anyone run into it?

Yes, a few people - just don't save during a very early game quest (
it involves finding a wand
) and you should be fine.

So I spent a little too much time in that graveyard area and ended up overleveled last night.
My Cutpurrse and Esther's Yellow Buncher wipe out everything in seconds, now. haha

I have a problem with Swaine, though.. I noticed he keeps using roll out with the monkey/cat thing for no reason and it bothered me, since his attack/attack speed are so high that he should just be wailing on dudes. Changed his tactics to "Don't Use Abilities" and he's still using roll out like a dummy. So I take roll out off of the monkeycat's trick list and what does Swaine do now? Throws him out and lets him stand around, not attacking. So annoying lol.

Geoff9920

Loving this game so far. :) I just got into the desert area at the beginning of the game... and proceeded to get my ass handed to me. o_O I didn't think I was too low level (12) going in, but I decided to heed drippy's advice and run to the nearest town. Am I too low level or is this normal for this section? Next thing up outside of the sidequests I've just received is to
go to the temple of trials
Should I grind a bit before going?

Raxious

Yes, a few people - just don't save during a very early game quest (
it involves finding a wand
) and you should be fine.

where exactly?
the one
in the real world?
or the one with the first dungeon?
where it explains about waystones

Andrew.

Banned
While not exactly going for the Plat, this game is going to take me longer than 80 hours at the rate I'm going. I still haven't even gotten the ship yet due to hunting all the Familiars. Naja and the Danglerfish are great though and I'm using them with Esther. 24 hours in.

Beat the Genie last night which wasn't hard whatsoever, probably since I'm at flippin level 29, but does anyone know where to find a list of alchemy mixes? I was going through the guide and I didn't see a section for them, only on where to find ingredients.

While not exactly going for the Plat, this game is going to take me longer than 80 hours at the rate I'm going. I still haven't even gotten the ship yet due to hunting all the Familiars. Naja and the Danglerfish are great though and I'm using them with Esther. 24 hours in.

Beat the Genie last night which wasn't hard whatsoever, probably since I'm at flippin level 29, but does anyone know where to find a list of alchemy mixes? I was going through the guide and I didn't see a section for them, only on where to find ingredients.
when you got the ability to tame familiars did you go to back to ding dong well by foot to get a naja? I want one but man the thought of going back there seems far lol.

Kyon

Banned

It's in the WC LOL

JohngPR

Tab the list of Alchemy mixes. If you don't have any yet, do the side quest where you have to make a Candle Cutter for the little girl in Castaway Cove....after I did that quest I noticed I had a few Alchemy mixes, but I wasn't sure if I already had them and didn't tab over or if the little girl gave them to me. :p

They are also some if not all of them in the WC.

Top Bottom