• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

madhtr

I was looking for one as well. I did find a fan made one online that I was able to DL to my PS3. It only uses one image (that's watermarked) but it's better than nothing:

PQYU8HT.jpg

Also, I found it amusing how much of a leap in levels I had in one encounter with my Purrloiner.

fUC8FwZ.jpg

I've been using my Graces one I got back at its release. And wow, quite the increase... Best I've gone is 1->6. Was that after facing a Toko?

Beren

Ok the game became just stupid, monsters keep spamming special stuff nonstop and i have no time do do anything :I
EDIT: had to rage quit lol!

Im so going for lvl 99 and have revenge D:

Aeana

The VO isn't that good as a whole, but Oliver and Phil really stand out.
They are really, really bad.

I guess a lot of the other cast are masked for me by the British accents, so it might not sound as bad to me.

Talking about the physical book itself.
I don't think they're anything special, but "really, really bad" seems kind of crazy considering we live in a world with Chaos Wars and Star Ocean 4. I think all of Ni no Kuni's English voice work is absolutely acceptable.

Busaiku

I dunno, I tend to mostly play games/watch cartoons with decent tracks or no VA, so this sounds really poor in comparison.
Yeah, it's definitely not Chaos Wars bad, but I wouldn't call that "really, really bad" either.

Aeana

I dunno, I tend to mostly play games/watch cartoons with decent tracks or no VA, so this sounds really poor in comparison.
Yeah, it's definitely not Chaos Wars bad, but I wouldn't call that "really, really bad" either.
I'm not hearing it. I think the VA is definitely way above poor. But different strokes, I guess.

The game is absolutely wonderful, I'm taking my sweet time with it though. Going to slowly progress, I'd like for this experience to last.

Combat so far feels pretty good, need to learn how to juggle all the different commands while moving in real time, how to effectively dodge, etc.

Derrick01

Banned
Is there any trick to getting familiars around the time you first learn how to? I have a side quest to tame one of these green banana bastards and I've killed about 30 of them with no luck yet. It's aggravating to have a quest rely on random chances. It's the only thing keeping me in this desert region.

Aeana

Is there any trick to getting familiars around the time you first learn how to? I have a side quest to tame one of these green banana bastards and I've killed about 30 of them with no luck yet. It's aggravating to have a quest rely on random chances. It's the only thing keeping me in this desert region.
That one is notorious, I think the tame chance is pretty low on that one. I got lucky. :

Hey so is there a digital copy of the book (that comes with the Wizard's Edition) in the standard edition of the game?
Yes, it's built into the game.

12 hours in, level 16, just finished
the trials

Haven't had any difficulties so far, but then again I've handled every sidequest possible up to thus point.

TDLink

Wow. I just got through the
Vileheart/"Truth"
sequence. Damn. This game. Though that 3-5 minutes of solid voice acting really makes me wish even harder that the entire game was voice acted. This game handles the emotional moments (like that one) really well when the voice and music are full throttle. But so often there are times (even big story moment times) where it is just old school text you are pressing X to get through with no voice. It's really disappointing. Kind of feels like they ran out of budget. I can only imagine how much better this game would be with full voice acting.

But wow, that sequence.

Just hit the ten hour mark and defeated
Moltaan
. God damn, this game is great. Hopefully Amazon.de comes through with my Wizard edition so I can have a real Drippy! =P

DarkPanda

I'm a little over 4 hours in and just finished Ding Dong Well. The game is great so far, but I'm really itching for it to open up more. I want to catch and train familiars, damnit!

Also, I like Drippy a lot more than I thought I would. The small snippets I saw of him in trailers and whatnot pre-release made his localization and VA seem annoying, but after his first scene I was completely over that. He's kind of endeering actually, though based on that first scene I feel like he's hiding something. That 'Lord High' line was too obviously a slip-up for him to not to be hiding something. (Though I my be wrong; Google searches aren't turing up anything suspicious).

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
FINALLY GOT MY 5 FLIPPING SCROLLS OF TRUTH OMG

The temple of tears method is the best way of doing it.

Keep in mind this is really only worth it if you are going for the plat, as you need it for the last merit badge.

Basically, run down the stairs to the first fork and check both mobs that spawn there.
Then take the east path, turn right then go by the roots. You can move the camera to check 3 more. If you see none cast Vacate and try again.

Don't forget to use Veil.

The drop rate is about 5%, but as someone mentioned they do give quite a bit of change, i'm at 902k now, lol.
They appear in random groups about 10% of the time, so this also might work if you are working on maxing a familiar's affection level. But it's faster to check the 6 spawns.

DR2K

Banned
I want to get this, but not for $60, but I still need to finish P4G. Will probably get this for $60 and before I finish P4G.

So what JRPG is this most like/comparable to?

JohngPR

I'm sure everyone knew this already but I found out not so long ago that if you press the select button, it makes the game Hudless. Pretty cool.

I most certainly love jrpgs, good ones at least. Combat seemed interesting enough, im debating getting this or Xenoblade
I personally think this is better. This is classic jrpg stuff here mixed in with a lot of other cool stuff. They're really so different though. Just get the one you're more in the mood for.

I want to get this, but not for $60, but I still need to finish P4G. Will probably get this for $60 and before I finish P4G.

So what JRPG is this most like/comparable to?
tales and pokemon combined with a ghibli-esque art style and infinitely better music.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a penalty for easy mode at all? Just got the 2nd party member and the enemies are doing huge amounts of damage. I wanted a little challenge but this seems like something I would just have to grind out before it's smoother sailing.

zeopower6

Is there a penalty for easy mode at all? Just got the 2nd party member and the enemies are doing huge amounts of damage. I wanted a little challenge but this seems like something I would just have to grind out before it's smoother sailing.

I don't believe so. The game doesn't really punish you for going on easy mode like most other RPGs that also have a similar choice between Easy/Normal/Hard.

Sanctuary

He's 13. And honestly, I'd kind of expect kids from the era that Ni no Kuni takes place in to be a bit 'slow'.

What? There's no way in hell he's 13. Doesn't really matter what the Wiki says, in game he acts like a 7 - 10 year old and has the mentality to match. He also must be an extremely "late bloomer" or just one of the shortest teenagers ever.

They are...by how much, I can't really say. For comparison's sake...here are both of my Mitey's:

Vs.

I have still yet to increase the growth limit on my Shinymite so it seems like he has a bit more room to grow compared to Mitey. What sucks is that I pretty much evolved them first chance I got, since I didn't quite know what I was doing initially.

:p

When should they be evolved?

zeopower6

What? There's no way in hell he's 13. Doesn't really matter what the Wiki says, in game he acts like a 7 - 10 year old and has the mentality to match. He also must be an extremely "late bloomer" or just one of the shortest teenagers ever.

It's not just 'what the wiki says', that's just what's been mentioned in all the press regarding the game.

http://www.ninokuni.jp/character/chara01.html

If only the English site updated with the character info... but yeah, he's 13. I suppose they wanted to keep him in the same realm of most Ghibli heroes though most are often heroines... lol.

http://ae.playstation.com/ps3/games/detail/item527124/Ni-No-Kuni-Wrath-of-the-White-Witch/

It's also here and in the instruction manual. (potential spoilers if you haven't played the game if you click)

FSLink

Banned
I personally think this is better. This is classic jrpg stuff here mixed in with a lot of other cool stuff. They're really so different though. Just get the one you're more in the mood for.

tales and pokemon combined with a ghibli-esque art style and infinitely better music.
Eh. Not seeing the Tales comparison since it's not really fully active. It reminds me more of FF12 and DQ8 (with a bit of monster capturing).

Beren

Just finished the main stuff and now to do all the side thingies! for me this game is wonderful, marvelous, full of magic, i love it so much :3
62 hours so far :)
EDIT: must have a sequel , i want to know more about Oliver, about Drippy, about everyone!

Got to DDD, god, the game gets me in the feels. It melts my heart like Dark Cloud 2 only knows how to do.

It's been too long. Level 5. Too long.

For other Dark Cloud players, how do you feel?

Sanctuary

It's not just 'what the wiki says', that's just what's been mentioned in all the press regarding the game.

http://www.ninokuni.jp/character/chara01.html

If only the English site updated with the character info... but yeah, he's 13. I suppose they wanted to keep him in the same realm of most Ghibli heroes though most are often heroines... lol.

http://ae.playstation.com/ps3/games/detail/item527124/Ni-No-Kuni-Wrath-of-the-White-Witch/

It's also here and in the instruction manual. (potential spoilers if you haven't played the game if you click)

Let me clarify: it doesn't matter what the internet and instructions say. There's no way he's a 13 year old. I get that it's fantasy, and it's Ghibli, but he's too damn naive, short and slow to be that old. Unless to make room for all of that magical power it had to replace something. Namely his brain.

zeopower6

Let me clarify: it doesn't matter what the internet and instructions say. There's no way he's a 13 year old. I get that it's fantasy, and it's Ghibli, but he's too damn naive, short and slow to be that old. Unless to make room for all of that magical power it had to replace something. Namely his brain.

I'd buy a 13 year old from the 50s~ being like Oliver.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I got this game in the mail today and I haven't even touched it thanks to street fighter X tekken patch ><

Forgive me gaf, I know I'm living wrongggggg

Top Bottom