• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Acrylic7

What the heck... you must be ahead of me, because all of the enemies I face in the well are level one enemies, and not sure why there would be enemies in the town itself... If it's a spoiler, don't explain it, please.

I was searching around Ding Dong Dell. I was supposed to be inside Ding Ding Dell's Ding Dong Well.....
this sounds weird :s

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
My pre-ordered copy arrived today (Australia). Was so ecstatic. I wasn't expecting it until at least the 4th of Feb.
Played about an hour until they arrived in the new world and I am thoroughly impressed. Can't wait to get back into it and start sinking in some hours.

Balphon

Any suggestion on what to pick for
the three familiar options you get after the trials?
? Just wondering if there is a most useful choice

I took the Naiad, FWIW. She's a good healer, and one of her final forms learns a pretty cool light-elemental damage spell.

one_kill

If you like guides, it is very helpful. Also a lot of good art, a bunch of interviews, good strategies, and it also helps you find hidden treasures. Up to you if that is helpful. I love guides, myself.
Does the guide come with info about familiars (like their evolved forms, abilities they get, etc.)?

Although I'm not much of a guide user, I do like to have them on the side when playing JRPGs.

madhtr

Does the guide come with info about familiars (like their evolved forms, abilities they get, etc.)?

Although I'm not much of a guide user, I do like to have them on the side when playing JRPGs.

Yep, yep, yep. Only thing it doesn't tell you is what type of treats they like, but the wizard's companion has that. It's exclusive per genus, not per familiar, though, so keep that in mind.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Also, you can only fight
Firefry on the Road to Ruin. Once you clear the Marsh and the castle, you can't fight him anymore. Obviously you could just morph a familiar into one, but that's the only place to fight one.

Is he just not there?
Edit: Nevermind I'm thinking of something else.

Two questions:

1. Is there any way to increase your chances of creatures wanting to join you when you beat them?

2. If you have a full party, can you still capture creatures? And if so, do they go directly to storage?

madhtr

Christ, about to morph the Griff into his ultimate. Fire or Ice powered? What. the fuck. What a decision.

I hear the fridge has a great field attack, but haven't heard anything other than that.

Two questions:

1. Is there any way to increase your chances of creatures wanting to join you when you beat them?

2. If you have a full party, can you still capture creatures? And if so, do they go directly to storage?

I don't think there is a way to influence the % chance, and once party and 3-familiar bench is full, they go to the ranch, which holds 400.

Edit: Well, then, yes and yes, apparently.

Goli

Two questions:

Yes, you get a merit reward that increases your chances eventually.

Yes, and they go straight to the familiar retreat.

Andrew.

Banned
I hear the fridge has a great field attack, but haven't heard anything other than that.

I don't think there is a way to influence the % chance, and once party and 3-familiar bench is full, they go to the ranch, which holds 400.

Ill take your word for it. Ice it is. I wanted to go that way anyway.

Sorian

Banned
Two questions:

1. There is a merit reward later on that ups the chances a wee bit but for the most part, the rate is what you get.

2. Straight to Bill's PC if you are full.

TDLink

The Naiad is easily the best choice. It's final evolution is one of the best healers in the game I believe. Either way I am still using it. Don't pick the ghost because you can catch them in literally the next area.

Thanks guys

Any suggestions on some great familiars to make sure to catch/use in battle?

Bonehead (in the desert) and Purrloiner (just south of the desert on the way to Castaway Cove).

Sorian

Banned
Thanks guys

Any suggestions on some great familiars to make sure to catch/use in battle?

Grab up Puss in Boots when you find him (Purrlionar or something). He is a black cat with a fencing sword. I think he beats Mitey in terms of DPS personally.

Edit: Bah, I keep getting beaten in this thread. At least my advice is sound since everyone else offers the same.

duxstar

When do you get "planet" familiars, as in what part of the game, I just got done with the Tomb Trail part, and am now at level 30 or so with the pirates

haha you guys are quick and awesome

One last one: Is there any way to know when the best time to evolve something is? Do I just wait until I learn all the skills? And how rare are those evolution items you feed them?

zeopower6

haha you guys are quick and awesome

One last one: Is there any way to know when the best time to evolve something is? Do I just wait until I learn all the skills? And how rare are those evolution items you feed them?

Whenever you learn all the skills is probably the best time if you're not interesting in maxing out the Familiar completely. Don't the drops that cause evolution drop pretty often?

Ricker

Why can't I find the words to use to open the cauldron in the Wizard book? I have to catch up to
the guy in my Avatar again so the page will be wriiten with the words in the WC?...Drippy tells me to look at the alchemy section but I see nothing...

Also Gobfest is a pain in the ass lol...

madhtr

Whenever you learn all the skills is probably the best time if you're not interesting in maxing out the Familiar completely. Don't the drops that cause evolution drop pretty often?

Keep in mind you can only have 8 learned tricks, so eventually you'll have to choose which to keep. Just, for the record.

Played my first 2 or so hours. Lovely, enchanting game. The Wizard's Companion book is a thing of beauty, it's freaking so well made (and it better have been).

Already annoyed with battle encounters as enemies run up to you pretty fast lol, but I'm taking this game slow and enjoying it as I should.

Dark Cloud 2 is still my all time favourite, I'm hoping this game leaves me with the same feelings I get when I see or hear the beauty of DC2

Sorian

Banned
Why can't I find the words to use to open the cauldron in the Wizard book? I have to catch up to
the guy in my Avatar again so the page will be wriiten with the words in the WC?...Drippy tells me to look at the alchemy section but I see nothing...

Also Gobfest is a pain in the ass lol...

Look again at the first page, it's there.

Sanctuary

Oliver is freaking slow, even for a ten year old. The "big reveal" was just revealed, and it's exactly what I expected. Both in fact.

Oliver was like this (not a spoiler at all):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLyxmD_UAK4

They are all worthless trash, just like the
Sage says about the two you did not pick. They are only there as tutorial familiars

So anybody still wondering how cheap Dinoceraus is?

I just beat a major boss SOLEY with him. Both my partners died and it was just Oliver by himself. All I used was Dinoceraus, and only switched to Oliver to defend. Now that's ridiculous.

Now if that ain't OP then I don't know what is.
Now i know who my favorite familiar is lol.

Kwixotik

So anybody still wondering how cheap Dinoceraus is?

I just beat a major boss SOLEY with him. Both my partners died and it was just Oliver by himself. All I used was Dinoceraus, and only switched to Oliver to defend. Now that's ridiculous.

Now if that ain't OP then I don't know what is.
Now i know who my favorite familiar is lol.

My partners die at the beginning of every boss fight. Most boss fights I've beaten with just Oliver and Mitey. I still haven't died yet lol.

Admittedly, I'm only halfway-ish through the game
just beat the jellyfish boss

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Have two damn scrolls of truth, but have a gold toko now, haha.

Starting stats for those interested, from left to right:

28, 27, 46, 114, 33, 120

Balphon

Naja, Purrloiner.

Edit: And yes, Boneheads are great. I recommend getting it to a Bone Baron. Very nice.

I think Bone Brigadier will have better stats below level 70 or so, so it might be better to go with that evolution unless you're planning on using him in the postgame.

JohngPR

Sadly there isn't... Namco Bandai has not marketed this game... not very well. They basically went Facebook all the way.

I was looking for one as well. I did find a fan made one online that I was able to DL to my PS3. It only uses one image (that's watermarked) but it's better than nothing:

PQYU8HT.jpg

Also, I found it amusing how much of a leap in levels I had in one encounter with my Purrloiner.

fUC8FwZ.jpg

Top Bottom