• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Danj

Yeah don't even try to fight those guys. Even after getting my guys to 40 and my familiars in the 30s I'm still getting crushed. You have to hope to find one of those things on the map itself and then chase it down.

Wait, how do you find one on the map?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
They look like beasts, but may as well be the Tombstone creatures. They move and attack very slowly, and neither are really any good for damage. They seem only to be there to soak up damage, and that's all.

I care not! I refuse to go to castaway cove until I get one!

Sorian

Banned
As for Swaine, you would have to manually control him to get the best use of Yoo-Hoo, or simply remove every trick from your Bonehead but that, and have him "give it your all".

Bonehead, hah please, He's running with an evolved monolith and a golden tin man :p That's a shame though. There isn't a tactic that at least prioritizes his taunts? I thought maybe ummm I think its "support everyone" or something like would be good for this. I've had him set like that since I got him (just finished Hamelin) and he does use Yoo-Hoo fairly regularly but I wasn't sure if I was just getting lucky or if he was prioritizing right.

Almost lost the fight with the
Gladiataur in the Forest of Plenty
because Drippy interrupted with a cut-scene that cancelled out the healing spell I was in the process of casting. Maddening. Anyways, about 5 hours in and I'm enjoying this a lot so far, but the combat system seems so unnecessarily convoluted. Would prefer it if developers chose real-time or turn based and stuck to one, rather than produce a bastardised mish-mash that isn't as good as either.

Now that I've decided to get a PS3 I'm looking forward to this game. Can anyone with the EU version confirm that japanese dialogs are available? I'd rather not play in english if possible.
I think your question got ignored, but yes, I can confirm that both language options are available in the EU.

Sanctuary

Almost lost the fight with the
Gladiataur in the Forest of Plenty
because Drippy interrupted with a cut-scene that cancelled out the healing spell I was in the process of casting. Maddening. Anyways, about 5 hours in and I'm enjoying this a lot so far, but the combat system seems so unnecessarily convoluted. Would prefer it if developers chose real-time or turn based and stuck to one, rather than produce a bastardised mish-mash that isn't as good as either.

Exactly. It gets somewhat better though much later on when you're running around with some overpowered familiars that do a hell of a lot of damage, and take very little. The entire time I played the game though I thought "Why can't it just be one or the other? It would be exponentially improved; even if it's just turn based!".

leadbelly

Banned
10 hours in. With an extra character, the battle system has started to become a little more interesting.

Well, I guess you're not going to. I just wondered about something that's all...

eXistor

What exactly do you mean by traditional? The game has a ridiculous amount of anti-frustration features born by modern design, so I don't know what you could be referring to. As for the dungeons, I'll take the ones here any day over, say, Rogue Galaxy or other Level-5 RPGs. And I can't see how the VA is offensive, and funny you mention the JP ones when one of the main complaints of JP players was weak VA work.

Grinding to progress the game should never be a part of any rpg anymore. Grinding is not anti-frustration. Also, you're comparing shitty Level-5 dungeons to other shitty Level-5 dungeons. These guys don't do good dungeons. They feel incredibly archaic and not modernised at all. It's just corridors stuck together. Sometimes you get an option: go left or right. Left leads to a dead end with a chest, right progresses game. Repeat this for about half an hour and you have your dungeon. There's nothing inventive about them and they feel like a slog to tread through.

I hate the English voice-overs (except for Drippy, he's damn cool), so I switched to Japanese ones so I don't notice how bad they are because it's in a language I can't understand.

But I don't want to focus too much on the bad, when most of the game is very solid. The music especially is gorgeous and beter than anything I've heard come out of a Playstation in a long time. The overworld is a much missed aspect of these games and I love the one in Ni No Kuni. Also the towns seem like a lot of fun and are just gorgeous to look at, as is the rest of the game. Everything works, but it's just held back by a few important flaws.

Rootbeer

Banned
Glad I got Griffy but I feel like I'm cheating by using it. Feels like easy mode... Griffy is VERY powerful. It's stats totally dwarf anything else I have in the same level range. But it has a low level cap so probably will be pretty useless near end game.

What are some good familiars to keep through the entire game, if any?

Bladenic

Grinding to progress the game should never be a part of any rpg anymore. Grinding is not anti-frustration. Also, you're comparing shitty Level-5 dungeons to other shitty Level-5 dungeons. These guys don't do good dungeons. They feel incredibly archaic and not modernised at all. It's just corridors stuck together. Sometimes you get an option: go left or right. Left leads to a dead end with a chest, right progresses game. Repeat this for about half an hour and you have your dungeon. There's nothing inventive about them and they feel like a slog to tread through.

I hate the English voice-overs (except for Drippy, he's damn cool), so I switched to Japanese ones so I don't notice how bad they are because it's in a language I can't understand.

But I don't want to focus too much on the bad, when most of the game is very solid. The music especially is gorgeous and beter than anything I've heard come out of a Playstation in a long time. The overworld is a much missed aspect of these games and I love the one in Ni No Kuni. Also the towns seem like a lot of fun and are just gorgeous to look at, as is the rest of the game. Everything works, but it's just held back by a few important flaws.

Well I'm sorry you've had to grind so much but I haven't purposefully gained levels once, even for some of the bosses a lot of people seem to have trouble with. But that's just me.

As for the dungeons, I don't consider them nearly as bad as you do. No, they aren't amazingly designed. But neither are they overly long, devoid of save points, super maze like, or filled with annoying puzzles that require lots of backtracking. That's a win in my book. Level-5 can't do dungeons very well, but the ones here are light years ahead of Rogue Galaxy. I'm not really one to dwell on how dungeons are designed too much though, unless they carry a lot of the elements I listed above.

Just my opinion. I don't think the game is perfect by any means.

Sorian

Banned

I'm confused on what you think is good dungeon design for an RPG like this. Dungeons are corridors no matter how you slice it for games like this. The fact that we have an amazing over world and decently built cities should be incentive enough to show they worked on the "landscaping" so to speak. I also have to say, there is no grind in this game what so ever from what I've seen. It's an RPG, you should be doing side-quests as they become available. If you are doing the side quests then what you are complaining about is actually the opposite of what is true. They made the content too weak.

zeopower6

I never really understood what people wanted in dungeons... why is it so bad that they're relatively 'plain'? Do you want more puzzles or something? Elevators? Endless dead ends? I've found that a lot of recent RPGs that lack the dead ends and kind of simply guide you on your way through a dungeon are a lot less stressful and makes things a bit more fun.

And I've never really heard too many criticisms about the English dub. I usually hate them since they're pretty badly acted but I enjoy Ni no Kuni's. Going to do a second playthrough with the Japanese track!

Aeana

The dungeons aren't particularly interesting in terms of layout, but they're purty. (._. ) I loved Tombstone Trail and Vault of Tears especially. Honestly, even the well dungeon at the start had me at attention. The sad thing for me is actually how short the dungeons actually are. Vault of Tears in particular was just over way too quickly.

Sorian

Banned
The dungeons aren't particularly interesting in terms of layout, but they're purty. (._. ) I loved Tombstone Trail and Vault of Tears especially. Honestly, even the well dungeon at the start had me at attention. The sad thing for me is actually how short the dungeons actually are. Vault of Tears in particular was just over way too quickly.

I know I'm a bad person but I like short dungeons :p Get me in and get me out. I feel like fighting enemies as I walk through a dungeon is more of a grind/time-waster than fighting enemies on a world maps. Maybe its the feeling of being closed in an area or maybe its repressed memories from specific early FF games with those horrible encounter rates.

Beckx

Vault of Tears is the best so far, I agree. The
frog part
was a huge surprise and really fun.

Bladenic

I know I'm a bad person but I like short dungeons :p Get me in and get me out. I feel like fighting enemies as I walk through a dungeon is more of a grind/time-waster than fighting enemies on a world maps. Maybe its the feeling of being closed in an area or maybe its repressed memories from specific early FF games with those horrible encounter rates.

Yeah I don't like overtly long dungeons. 30-45 minutes is the sweet spot, 1 hour max. Any longer and I get tired and bored.

Anyone got any tips for beating the
pig tank
?

I got Oliver at lvl 27, Esther at lvl 26, and Swaine at lvl 24. I get it down to about half and that's it.

Sorian

Banned
Anyone got any tips for beating the
pig tank
?

I got Oliver at lvl 27, Esther at lvl 26, and Swaine at lvl 24. I get it down to about half and that's it.

I threw Mitey at it and told him to kill.
Make use of all-out defense, each block of a machine gun shot counts as a nice so when he uses that move, it counts as about 10 nices, he was consistently dropping 2 super charge orbs which I had Oliver use for his mega-fireball

Sanctuary

Glad I got Griffy but I feel like I'm cheating by using it. Feels like easy mode... Griffy is VERY powerful. It's stats totally dwarf anything else I have in the same level range. But it has a low level cap so probably will be pretty useless near end game.

What are some good familiars to keep through the entire game, if any?

Griffy was useful all throughout the entire game, even post-game. The only familiar that can replace him is a Dino. There's a spreadsheet that shows the total number of stat points a familiar has by the time it's reached maxed level, and Griffy is like number 124 for the "total". But it's completely irrelevant when he has such an absurdly high attack, and med-high defense, magic defense and evasion. His growth rate is higher than any other familiar as well (in terms of getting powerful fast). His lower level cap doesn't matter one bit since he already starts out so strong.

I also don't understand the complaint about "grinding". If you do all of the sidequests as you get them, there's not a single point into the game where you ever need to grind for anything. Up until the last boss anyway; which you may or may not want to gain 10+ levels for. A lot of people keep bringing up Toko grinding, but nowhere in this game is that anything but overkill until the end of the game. The main purpose to grinding is to level up unknown familiars, but you don't actually have to do that to finish the game.

Lightning based attacks.

The little penguin is the strongest familiar I got with a lightning attack but it's just so damn slow, the tank constantly runs over it lol

I threw Mitey at it and told him to kill.
Make use of all-out defense, each block of a machine gun shot counts as a nice so when he uses that move, it counts as about 10 nices, he was consistently dropping 2 super charge orbs which I had Oliver use for his mega-fireball

When using Mitey,
did you just have it attack or did you use MP-based moves? Also, I noticed the two super charged orbs it drops, just couldn't get to them fast enough. :-(

Sanctuary

The little penguin is the strongest familiar I got with a lightning attack but it's just so damn slow, the tank constantly runs over it lol

When using Mitey,
did you just have it attack or did you use MP-based moves? Also, I noticed the two super charged orbs it drops, just couldn't get to them fast enough. :-(

Don't walk, jump.

zeopower6

When using Mitey,

The automata Familiars outside of Hamelin should help. The small purple one and Tin-Man (both required by that Familiar scientist dude) both get Storm moves, I think.

And I tend to accidentally grind while taming creatures in areas but that's kind of my fault since I want to get most creatures before it gets 'annoying' to try to capture them later. I'm at Tengri and I've got almost everything I've encountered except for maybe a dozen that I haven't bothered attempting to capture yet, lol.

Defunkled

After about 60 hours, I have finally finished all the post-game content and now I'm debating on whether to go for the Platinum trophy or not. Anyone have the Platinum for this game?

Sorian

Banned

When using Mitey,

I let Mitey do normal physical attacks for mediocre damage while I was waiting for the gold orbs. His defense let him hold up well. I was overleveled at this part like I have been for most of the game so of course your mileage may vary.

Busaiku

I really liked those Trials.
Well, except for the last one, which wasn't anything special.

Multiple people really changes the game a bunch.

Cheddahz

Banned
Well I got Al Mammon and I'm really getting used to the battle system now, it's been a blast so far, though I wish I had time to play it more often

Don't walk, jump.

Yeah, I just got that when I got
Hamelin
. Kept forgetting I got it so I never used it. Definitely gotta keep it in mind next time.

The automata Familiars outside of Hamelin should help. The small purple one and Tin-Man (both required by that Familiar scientist dude) both get Storm moves, I think.

I do have a Tin-Man and the cog looking one. I know which small purple one you're talking about. Definitely going to give Tin-Man a try if it's already leveled high enough. If not, I'll grind. No big deal.

I let Mitey do normal physical attacks for mediocre damage while I was waiting for the gold orbs. His defense let him hold up well. I was overleveled at this part like I have been for most of the game so of course your mileage may vary.

Happen to remember the level at all? I think I got Mitey at lvl 21 or 22.

Thanks for the tips, all.

Yuterald

About 12 hours in. Just completed the Trials and got the ability to tame monsters. The Trials was probably my favorite part of the game so far. That was pretty old school shit, loved it. I usually prefer it in RPGs when they try and create interesting dungeons with puzzles and gimmicks. So far, each dungeon has had at least a small idea and it's something that goes a long way with me. If you're not going to go all out in the dungeon department, like how they're treated/handled in games like Wild ARMs, Lufia, or Golden Sun, then at least give me something that is mildly engaging. I can't stand "path" dungeons in RPGs.

I'm enjoying the game for the most part, but I'm not super obsessed with it yet. A lot of that is probably due to the fact that I only have time to seriously game on Sundays. The battle system is just okay too. The monster raising/taming stuff isn't as deep or interesting as I thought it was going to be. It's pretty simple stuff. It's nowhere near as deep or interesting as something like SMT: Nocturne though. I guess that's not the point, but it's hard to not think about monster raising stuff from other, older games when playing this.

Story is fun and it's cute, but I haven't seen anything that's made me care too much about these characters or the world that I'm in. I like the soul mate angle stuff a lot, but other than that the game is a pretty standard affair. The visuals and music are what I like the most. World map is gorgeous, of course.

One thing I'm looking forward to is if there's going to be an in-game vocal track that plays during a particular "wow" moment. Wasn't that Level 5's thing for a bit? Dark Cloud 2 and Rogue Galaxy both had moments where a cool vocal track would play over a particular cut scene, usually during some reveal or major story point. It's a total PS2-era RPG thing and I kinda hope this game does it at some point as well. The intro was full of all sorts of mama-drama and it was a neat way to start the game. I guess I'm waiting for other extra cool/touching moment to hit me. We'll see, I suppose.

Sorian

Banned
You can spoil this but what level is his final evolution? Mine's 31, give or take a level (can't remember for sure).

You are within a level or 2, I want to say 32-33 is when it is time

Edit: Also, I think most will agree with me, that you will want to take the red evolution over the blue.

Tunic

Not too sure if this has been posted but I stumbled upon a website that does translation of the Nazcaän language to English. Much easier than flipping back and forth in the in game Wizard's Companion if you are not one of the lucky ones out there that has the physical version of it.

http://www.shiftlimits.com

Hopefully this is helpful for many people out there. Sorry in advance if this was previously posted.

Bladenic

You are within a level or 2, I want to say 32-33 is when it is time

Edit: Also, I think most will agree with me, that you will want to take the red evolution over the blue.

I know there's a difference in moves, but is there also a difference in stats? Seems like red would be attack centric while blue is defense?

Amir0x

Banned
I just won like 249,000 chips in the Casino from that weird game with Wizards and Bishops and shit. And then the bitch kicked me out of the match! Fucking sore loser!

Sorian

Banned
I know there's a difference in moves, but is there also a difference in stats? Seems like red would be attack centric while blue is defense?

Basically, that is correct. From what I've seen in stat reading, the red will end up with less of a hit in defense than the blue will end up with in attack. That's the main difference.

I just won like 249,000 chips in the Casino from that weird game with Wizards and Bishops and shit. And then the bitch kicked me out of the match! Fucking sore loser!

I love me some platoon. When you win, you really win.

Aeana

The top reward tiers aren't that special anyway. A rank is
jumbo drops
and S rank is
tickets to watch game movies in the RIP room

Top Bottom