• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

I've now finished this game and I have to say I really don't think it was very good. Maybe I'm just too old for it at this point but I don't feel the story and writing had the level of intelligence required for an all ages appeal the way Disney or Pixar can create an all ages story.

The combat grew old and I'm incredibly thankful I figured out how to completely avoid it (just cast levitate constantly). I think I would have preferred a completely turn based system where I had complete control over everything that was happening.

The visuals and music were great and what little voice acting there was was good. I was pretty disappointed and how little of it was voiced in the end.

The combat was probably the worst part of the game. It was just so... exploitable. All of the boss attacks are these big moves with huge windups that give you plenty of time to switch to a creature with evade to dodge it and there was very little synergy or interaction with the different creatures. I found it to be a chose almost the entire way through.

It wasn't a bad game and the attention to detail in many areas was fucking impressive but overall I consider it a pretty mediocre jRPG.

I'm 30 hours in and I feel almost exactly the same way. I'll say what I said in another thread:

IMO, the battle system feels more laborious than enjoyable, the characters seem more boring than charmingly simplistic, and the overarching story feels more childish than charming/endearing. Avatar: The Last Airbender is a series that is technically designed for children, but it is not childish. Ni no Kuni feels childish. Fixing people's broken hearts, fighting off nightmares, and redistributing emotions to different people got very old, very fast for me.

But, on the other hand, the localization effort is outstanding, the Wizard's companion is (I'll just go ahead and say it) THE BEST journal/encyclopedia/record keeping mechanism in any JRPG ever made, and of course, the presentation is in a league of its own.

It's a very hard game to recommend to people

Draper

Honestly, don't let other people sway you. Though if you're already on the brink of returning it, just go return it.

Its not that I'm on the brink. Its just JRPGs is not a genre I dabble in all that often. I was just in the mood to expand my portfolio and possibly acquire a new appreciation for it. Just concerned about opening up a $60 game and having complete distaste for it.

zeopower6

Maybe turn the game off for a while and come back to the task later? I find that tends to help with the RNG for games like this. Ugh, I remember spending ages in FFXIII-2 because I couldn't get Chocobo crystals or those damn things you only encounter once in Academia.

Its not that I'm on the brink. Its just JRPGs is not a genre I dabble in all that often. I was just in the mood to expand my portfolio and possibly acquire a new appreciation for it. Just concerned about opening up a $60 game and having complete distaste for it.

I see. Well, you'll only know how you feel about it from playing it yourself. Did you try the demo or watch some reviews/gameplay videos to get a feel for it?

I've got Naja as my main, and he rocks. Completely outclassed Mitey, who was just there to provide a different elemental weapon and the warcry buff.

Pfft, I beat the game and
beat the special boss
with Dynamite in my team. But I guess if Naja has a good enough accuracy stat to hit most of the time and hit Tokotokos... it should be good.

I just finished up in Hamelin and got
the ability to fly
. Are there any particularly good familiars that I should go out and try to catch at this point? I'm using the 3 starter familiars, the sprite from Golden Grove that you get very early, and then some randoms that I picked up along the way.

jiggle

beat the special boss
with Dynamite in my team. But I guess if Naja has a good enough accuracy stat to hit most of the time and hit Tokotokos... it should be good.

what's this super hard end game boss everyone's talking about? without spoiling much, is this the one from the rift quest?

I just finished up in Hamelin and got
the ability to fly
. Are there any particularly good familiars that I should go out and try to catch at this point? I'm using the 3 starter familiars, the sprite from Golden Grove that you get very early, and then some randoms that I picked up along the way.

1-2 or 3 dinoceros and maybe a toko

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Hi guys I need some help with a boss in the cove.

Any tricks to beating the genie? I pretty much does no damage to him whether it's Oliver or my familiars battling :/ What's the best strategy?

Thanks

I think I got lucky in it. Definitely has been the hardest boss I've faced so far as well.

I just unloaded on him when he pulled out the umbrella and then ran away while shooting frostbite spells at him when he had his fire sword.

zeopower6

Thanks. Also is there a good exp grinding spot or an accessory that increases exp gain?

There is also a Merit Award bonus that increases EXP gain that you can get pretty early... and then there's an upgrade to that same bonus a bit later on in the game as well. :D

MicH

I think I got lucky in it. Definitely has been the hardest boss I've faced so far as well.

I just unloaded on him when he pulled out the umbrella and then ran away while shooting frostbite spells at him when he had his fire sword.
Thanks for the reply. That might just be what I have to do as well. I don't know if it's my familiars who are too weak or something. Currently use:

Oliver: Mighty Mite, first evolution of monkeycat and (currently) a low level Draggle because my Griffy has maxed his level but I have no drops to evolve him with.
Esther: Strongo, Shonky Honky and the little green one you get in the forest.

I can not play with Esthers familiars, perhaps because they're more magic oriented.

What are some good familiars for especially Esther, but are they all in generel okay?

what's this super hard end game boss everyone's talking about? without spoiling much, is this the one from the rift quest?

1-2 or 3 dinoceros and maybe a toko

The one you get a gold trophy for killing. He wasn't hard, really. I'm just saying even the supposedly hardest boss isn't so bad and it doesn't much matter.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Recommended end-game character level?

My main crew are around level 70, and my familiars around lvl 65. IGN guide suggest lvl 80. Which I find insane
I was like level 50 with my creatures being level 30-45 so... yeah I would say 80 is no where near necessary. I uh... kind of just stopped fighting everything at some point. Though maybe I was doing something wrong because my party members would always die 10% of the way into any boss battle and I would solo the remaining 90%.

I've just gotten to Another World and made my way into the forest to acquire my first battle companion.
So far I'm loving this game. Wish I'd had more time to play it.
The visuals are really spectacular and the animated cutscenes are wonderful and remind me of Ghiblis Ponyo - the more simplistic look Miyazaki used for that film.

Music is glorious, I expected nothing less from such a legendary composer but its refreshing to play a RPG with such a carefully crafted OST, that isn't called Final Fantasy.

I'm enjoying the battle system. Seems a bit like Eternal Sonata, very simplistic, but I'm still in the 'tutorial' stages right now so I guess there may be more to learn as time goes by.

Story is surprisingly good thus far.

Oh and it's both funny and totally bizarre that Drippy has a crazy Welsh accent hehe!

for real? How have I missed them on my like 30 passes of the area?! @_o

They're there. It's a little forest green colored dude (which is easily confused with a couple of other local enemy types) holding a brown stick. But don't just walk up to them or they'll spook and you won't ever catch up. Instead, once you spot one, cast Veil on yourself so you can catch him unaware. Then make him your first priority once the battle starts, otherwise they'll escape.

Encountered my first freeze last night in Tombstone Trail farming Scrolls of Truth. Also saw my first big bug - a golden Honky Tonker was just walking in the air and clipping through the cavern wall. Have I said how much I hate farming for these stupid scrolls. I just think back to how bad it was farming for Wings of Discovery in FF X ... so many days wasted farming that crap and using Bribe and amassing enough Gil to toss.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I've now finished this game and I have to say I really don't think it was very good. Maybe I'm just too old for it at this point but I don't feel the story and writing had the level of intelligence required for an all ages appeal the way Disney or Pixar can create an all ages story.

The combat grew old and I'm incredibly thankful I figured out how to completely avoid it (just cast levitate constantly). I think I would have preferred a completely turn based system where I had complete control over everything that was happening.

The visuals and music were great and what little voice acting there was was good. I was pretty disappointed and how little of it was voiced in the end.

The combat was probably the worst part of the game. It was just so... exploitable. All of the boss attacks are these big moves with huge windups that give you plenty of time to switch to a creature with evade to dodge it and there was very little synergy or interaction with the different creatures. I found it to be a chose almost the entire way through.

It wasn't a bad game and the attention to detail in many areas was fucking impressive but overall I consider it a pretty mediocre jRPG.

QFT.

No matter what, all the JRPGs that Level-5 made (not including the outsourced ones like DQVIII) end up mediocre all the time.

Draper

Maybe turn the game off for a while and come back to the task later? I find that tends to help with the RNG for games like this. Ugh, I remember spending ages in FFXIII-2 because I couldn't get Chocobo crystals or those damn things you only encounter once in Academia.

I see. Well, you'll only know how you feel about it from playing it yourself. Did you try the demo or watch some reviews/gameplay videos to get a feel for it?

I've watched/read several reviews. Again, it doesn't really apply to a newcomer of the field. I guess I just want to hear someone say, 'you're going to have a good time' :p

Balphon

beat the special boss

Naja has a faster attack speed than the Mite and will end up with better accuracy and defense with around twice the attack. But even if you get the Naja as soon as Esther learns to recruit the Mite will still be comparable to better for the first half of the game or so.

Derrick01

Banned
So what dungeon does that 20k+ toko show up in? Spoiler tag it just in case. I'm pretty sure I'm really close to the end so I don't mind.

I think I have a grand total of maybe three hours of playtime and about 10 freezes. I'm not sure what is going on. I re-installed the game even. It's getting kind of outrageous and I might just take the game back and get my money back.

TTG

So, what did everyone do against the final challenge in the 2nd tier from the bottom of the arena/collessium thing?
That turtle is kicking my ass, keeps casting a defense spell which puts my attack at 1
Do I just chip away at it with Oliver?

Acrylic7

I think I have a grand total of maybe three hours of playtime and about 10 freezes. I'm not sure what is going on. I re-installed the game even. It's getting kind of outrageous and I might just take the game back and get my money back.

Does this have anything to do with that game breaking save problem I read about earlier?

Does this have anything to do with that game breaking save problem I read about earlier?

No clue, but it's making the game just about impossible to play. Any point at which loading happens I am getting a freeze. Particularly during cutscenes. It's basically a 50/50 shot at freezing on a cutscene. This is fine in towns and the world map where you can save whereever you want, but I just spent 20 minutes in a dungeon, got to a cutscene, an had it freeze on me.

Bladenic

So, what did everyone do against the final challenge in the 2nd tier from the bottom of the arena/collessium thing?
That turtle is kicking my ass, keeps casting a defense spell which puts my attack at 1
Do I just chip away at it with Oliver?

Need to use spells. It's weak against Storm type.

TTG

I'll give it another try later. Also, the game slapping me every time I try to explore a little bit is frustrating. It's been over 20 hours, maybe I can sail to a tiny little island and NOT get killed by the first pedestrian creature I come across? What's the point of giving me a ship if I have no choice about where I'm going next? Some balance would be nice, I'm not sailing off across the map to a continent that hasn't been mentioned yet, this is shit that's on the way.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Game is fun. I don't spend $60 on a video game but once a year, if that. I'm really quite glad I did. It's fun, charming, surprisingly challenging. I look forward to playing and completing this one.

My only major complaints are the initial difficulty of it all (I died twice in the Woods) and a slightly confusing battle system (at first...which is why I died). After I've figured out he battle system, it started to feel a bit more fair. I've read that the game is full of difficulty spikes, but I'll manage. The system of powering up your monsters and learning/forgetting moves is also a bit confusing, but I'm hoping it will make more sense as I find myself needing to take advantage of said features.

one_kill

Once I was able to sail, I got my ass handed to me by the familiars at
Shipwreck Shore
. It's a good place to level up if you have a Griffy.

Btw, would I would be able to access the area with Tokos? I'm currently on my way to fight
Shadar
. Also, do Tokos respawn frequently?

Top Bottom