• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Just on my way to Casterway now. Though I'm sure I have loads of emberstones. I love the music of the Desert City. Well just in general too. It's lovely. I'm about Lvl 23. The monsters on the cliffs around the desert are quite tough. I'm not really feeling the benefit of the morphing though. Seems to take a while before you're at the stat lvl you were previously.

Anyone have a primer for combat in general for this game? Just hit the desert area last night and died repeatedly... My solution was to kite with Oliver and spam spells... Also, any tips on microing your party member?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Oh boy this is going to be fun.

Got to Castaway cove and saw the errands. I need an emberstone...and the worst of them all getting the rainbow leaves from florets.

Considering all the florets run away from me because I'm overpowered and they are a shitload faster than me.

This is going to suck ass!

edit: Oh and finally caught a Little Bighorn after I gave up hope. :D

And of course as soon as I say this I end up realizing I had an emberstone already and I end up finding a ridiculous amount of florets in the Northeast and have achieved both errands.

Oh me.

Sanctuary

Who did you guys drop out for
Marcassin
?
I'm thinking of drooping Swaine outside of stealing he's useless.

That's easy:
Swaine, because he is, and always was dead weight aside from trying to steal items. His familiar selection is rather trashy and he never has enough mana to use any good abilities until you're well on your way to finishing the game. Worst character design ever. He actually has TWO whole useful familiars. The Bonhead, which is only actually "good" once it's a Bone Baron way late into the game, and an Inphant--which is a major bitch to tame, even using gateway on it's spawn point.

Esther is garbage, but she has Griffy (if you have it anyway), and enough mana to use good tricks, so she's still more useful than Swaine. Honestly, she's MVP until you can get a Dino or two if you have Griffy. Oliver is rather trash until that point and she carries the group on all fights. Even if you don't have Griffy, she has enough mana to use Earsplitter with a Dino ad nauseum, and the Nightcap familiar is godlike.

aravuus

I wonder, though, if they'll get into the genre generally after this. Miyazaki films and Pokemon are both big in our house, so no real surprise that a game that combines Ghibli animation with a Pokemon mechanic would be a hit. Hopefully this game will serve as a gateway to some of the great JRPGs out there, but it may still be too early to try to introduce FFVI.

You should probably show them something more recent, especially if they're used to the newer consoles. Willing to bet they'd love Kingdom Hearts.

PK Gaming

It's not really worth leveling up Mite since there are better alternatives, but if you like him (or her, just in case :p) then it's better to maximise its level before evolving it.

Btw, the level 50 attack is ray gun. It's a fire move and costs 11mp.

is it any good?

Just lucked into the last copy from my local GAME. This is sold out all over!

So excited to finally play this. Love Classic JRPGS, love the music of Joe Hisaishi, love Studio Ghibli, enjoyed Level 5's PS2 output...

DarkPanda

Anyone run into side quests you couldn't complete right off since the pieces of heart aren't available?

I'm about to go
stone hunting to create the Mornstar
and picked up a ton a quests. The only ones I have left are for
kindness, courage, and I think belief.

Did I miss opportunities to get these pieces or are they just not available yet? I've scourered every map and came up with nothing.

I'm about where you are now (I'm assuming you just got the flying mode of transportation) and I was able to finish every quest except for 1 courage. Just keep looking and keep an eye on your map for green dots.

Oh, and I think I've figured out my earlier problem with The Fairyground. It seems like the pieces of heart there slowly pop up as the story progresses rather than all at once like I was assuming. I've gotten one to appear there so far, so I'm hoping that the others will pop up later.

Dreweyes

I made a parody t-shirt design :D

wwb31zt.png

Snag here :)
http://www.redbubble.com/people/drewwise/works/9931613-another-world

ThankeeSai

A friend of mine has very kindly sold me a copy of this for £33!

For some reason, she ended up with 3 copies (I didn't ask why) and she is sending me a copy today, delivered tomorrow.

Picking myself up a PS3 slim in the next week or 2 to play it on. Can't wait!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ni no Kuni is No.1 in the UK charts according to Eurogamer's Twitter, good stuff.

Meanwhile, here in the Nordic countries it hasn't even broken the top 20, which means it's doing pretty shitty. Not really all that surprised, as there has been absolutely zero marketing for this game - I would be surprised to find a non-hardcore gamer who has ever heard of it. I'm more surprised that it's been doing so well in the UK. The UK is generally rather pro-360, while here in Sweden PS3 games consistently do better than 360 ones. But now the UK is somehow buying Ni no Kuni in droves, while almost nobody seems to want it here. So has the game been marketed a bit more in the UK, or how did this happen? The Wizard's Edition has sold out here, but we probably got a tiny amount of those to start with. That could be true for the standard edition as well I suppose - all but a few of the online stores I've checked are sold out of it.

Finally got done with some of the backlog this weekend and popped this in. The combat didn't click until I somehow managed to die to the first boss, but now I'm kicking butt and really enjoying it.

I screwed up not mailing something back early enough, so I won't be getting Fire Emblem for probably another 2 weeks. Should be time to wrap this puppy up :p

ymmv

Banned
"We have more stock going into the channel this week so check with local stores to receive your copy," Kirton continued. "We hope the word of mouth and demand for the title continues as it does prove that JRPGs are special and we invest a lot of time and effort within this genre."

Amazon.co.uk says the game is "due in stock February 19". Hopefully it will indeed arrive sooner, since I've pre-ordered the game at Amazon.co.uk and I'm still waiting.

Vhalyar

Anyone here playing with the German version of the game? Can you confirm that everything can be set to English?

I'm looking at my Wizard Edition box, unsure if I should open it yet because the language labels at the back would indicate the texts are (only) in German.

Derrick01

Banned
Man I would give anything to be able to set an AI rule for skill uses. I'm tired of my 2 party members draining their magic pool in shitty easy battles. Something like "Use ____ only if MP is >80%".

madhtr

Man I would give anything to be able to set an AI rule for skill uses. I'm tired of my 2 party members draining their magic pool in shitty easy battles. Something like "Use ____ only if MP is >80%".

Having that ability might fix the AI issues that are there... I mean, you'd think, at least. Would be nice not getting healed every 10 damage.

Derrick01

Banned
Having that ability might fix the AI issues that are there... I mean, you'd think, at least. Would be nice not getting healed every 10 damage.

Oh yeah the healing is just as bad if not worse at times. I'm sitting here with 290 health and she's using an 11mp healing spell when I was brought down to 250. Since she only has 142mp and I need her to use one of her ~20-30mp damage spells that's a huge waste.

I never fully appreciated the customization level in FF12 until I played this game. Man they did it right.

To this day I can't fathom why more japanese RPG developers haven't built on FFXII's gambit system and instead persist with the crappy vague general AI instruction systems.

aravuus

Meanwhile, here in the Nordic countries it hasn't even broken the top 20, which means it's doing pretty shitty. Not really all that surprised, as there has been absolutely zero marketing for this game - I would be surprised to find a non-hardcore gamer who has ever heard of it. I'm more surprised that it's been doing so well in the UK. The UK is generally rather pro-360, while here in Sweden PS3 games consistently do better than 360 ones. But now the UK is somehow buying Ni no Kuni in droves, while almost nobody seems to want it here. So has the game been marketed a bit more in the UK, or how did this happen? The Wizard's Edition has sold out here, but we probably got a tiny amount of those to start with. That could be true for the standard edition as well I suppose - all but a few of the online stores I've checked are sold out of it.

The game seems to be sold out everywhere in Finland too, so it shouldn't be doing that bad - or at least it's doing better than some people expected it would.

SxP

It's always great when the AI uses a 18 MP Evasion boost in a regular battle when the last enemy is two hits away from being defeated.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The game seems to be sold out everywhere in Finland too, so it shouldn't be doing that bad - or at least it's doing better than some people expected it would.

Well, that just means they shipped a disappearingly small amount to the Nordic countries then. Again, it hasn't broken the top 20 in any country up here, and I'm pretty sure that means tiny sales.

STG

Anyone here playing with the German version of the game? Can you confirm that everything can be set to English?

I'm looking at my Wizard Edition box, unsure if I should open it yet because the language labels at the back would indicate the texts are (only) in German.

I bought the german version, when you start the game for the first time it asks what language you want (German, English, French and Italian or Spanish or both or not at all, can't remember)

but yeah, you can set the game completely to English, I have done that!

MicH

Got my WE today and I am absolutely loving the game. Just got to Old Smokey and I have a couple of monsters who are ready to evolve. Are the items used for evolution random drops?

Current teams:
Oliver - Mighty Mite, the monkeycat and Griffy
Esther: Drongo, Shonky Honky and the green mage from the forest.

Can't stop playing :D

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Got the third party member and the transport. Now a random question about monsters in the ocean:

Did the difficulty suddenly spike for the ocean monsters? I'm having a bit tougher time fighting them now.

zeopower6

Got the third party member and the transport. Now a random question about monsters in the ocean:

Did the difficulty suddenly spike for the ocean monsters? I'm having a bit tougher time fighting them now.

I'd say if you veer off course where you aren't supposed to go, you will get walloped. I was killed several times after trying to be sneaky and going somewhere I shouldn't have been, lol. It's the same if you build that bridge to the far west of Ding Dong Dell... all of the things there WILL kill you.

I think once you give the other party members Familiars that are pretty good when it comes to physical attack (at least a lot better than what they started out with), they'll use the Tricks a lot less frequently and not waste so much MP. Oh, and I find I use Swaine a lot when it comes to afflicting status ailments if I really need to for errands and such. His instant weak spot shot is pretty nice too.

it's also sold out in germany. even amazon.de is waiting for restock.

Xtincthed

Neo Member
I finally completed Catharine today, so now I have time to start playing Ni No Kuni!
Had my girlfriend start it up, so she played the first part (while i watched, doing some work)
Now I can start playing from the part where it's actually letting you play ^^

The European Wizard's Edition unboxing I did last week: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfYs8dakipg

Guys, this game is from another world, just started and it is easily one of my favorites this gen. And the Wizard's Companion in printed form is just fantastically gorgeous.

I am in looooove.

madhtr

It's always great when the AI uses a 18 MP Evasion boost in a regular battle when the last enemy is two hits away from being defeated.

That's why I only left a healing trick on the only familiar Esther uses, to make sure she can't go hog wild unless she chooses to run around herself, which she does sometimes.

Vhalyar

I bought the german version, when you start the game for the first time it asks what language you want (German, English, French and Italian or Spanish or both or not at all, can't remember)

but yeah, you can set the game completely to English, I have done that!

Thank you, I can stop looking at the box now and actually open it :)

so hwat kind of games is this like? I've had mixed experiences with JRPGs so I'm kinda hesitant to get it. tried the demo out and while the art was cool, the world map and music was pretty bland and while the battle system was ok, I'm not sure if it will hold up through the entire game

holy wow.
hamelin
so pretty

there was a fairy at Drippy's homeland that needed a piece of heart , "restraint". but after i beat the jellyfish, that fairy no longer needed it. what the hell

Got my WE today and I am absolutely loving the game. Just got to Old Smokey and I have a couple of monsters who are ready to evolve. Are the items used for evolution random drops?

At that point in the game, pretty much. But as long as you fight enough, you should get plenty.

Sorian

Banned
holy wow.
hamelin
so pretty

there was a fairy at Drippy's homeland that needed a piece of heart , "restraint". but after i beat the jellyfish, that fairy no longer needed it. what the hell

You sure you didn't turn it in without thinking about it? If not though, just continue the story. You're pretty close to getting a travel spell and that'll open up a whole slew of side quests, I bet that'll re-open that one too.

Top Bottom