• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
The party AI in this game makes me want to cry. It wouldn't be so annoying if the mana items weren't all so bloody expensive but my BUTTIES waste mana on even the most trivial of encounters. I also think that too many familiars run away from you at too low a level but I guess that was done so you wouldn't have to battle every ten steps. Thankfully I figured out that if you press any menu button as they run away (square or triangle) and then cancel, they turn around and tend to run back towards you. The majority of the battles aren't that interesting but I appreciate the high difficulty of some of the boss fights and higher level bounties/errands.

Those small annoyances aside, I'm loving the visuals & the music and the fantastic localisation of Mr Drippy. All that stuff is keeping me playing and I'm keen to see what visual and aural delights the game throws at me next.

I just unlocked the last row of merit awards and I'm not sure what to get first. I was thinking of going for the EXP bonus, but i'm not sure exactly what the final one does since the description is a little vague. Anyone have a recommendation?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I just unlocked the last row of merit awards and I'm not sure what to get first. I was thinking of going for the EXP bonus, but i'm not sure exactly what the final one does since the description is a little vague. Anyone have a recommendation?

You planning on catching 250 familiars?

jono95

The final one
gives Oliver 100 mp and 100 hp.

one_kill

I think I heard you have to create all but about 12 items, which coincides fairly closely to the ones that require a lot of rare items.
That's going to be a pain. I'm fortunate enough to have a guide, but all the ingredient fetching is going to be troublesome.

I'm five hours in and really enjoying it so far. Presentation is pretty nice and I'm in love with the music.. looking forward to dive deeper in this adventure, I am still on the fence about the battlesystem, though.

Bladenic

Oh hell no. There's absolutely no reason to ever look at
Swaine
ever again, except for when you're farming items. He was almost always dead weight to begin with, and with the appearance of
his brother
, it's only magnified.

So what's everyone's favorite themes in regards to music? My favorite has to be
Hamelin
, with
Al-Mamoon
as a runner up.
Hamelin
instantly made me think of a Star Wars Imperial type theme.

My favorite is honestly Ding Dong Dell's theme. The way it picks up right at the end is amazing. Of course, the whole OST is incredible. I need to find it.

Bladenic

I have enough merit awards to collect 2 of the bonuses in the last row or the one that boosts the hell outta Oliver. Can't decide which I'd rather have, though I think if I get the Ollie booster the rest of the game would be cake.

And another question, which of Dinoceros' final evolution should I get? Or do I win regardless? He's so OP already.

I'm getting the feeling it's very easy to over-level in this game, even by accident. I was just exploring the map for an hour or 2 and now that i've come back to the story i'm fucking annihilating everything with ease.

Bladenic

I'm getting the feeling it's very easy to over-level in this game, even by accident. I was just exploring the map for an hour or 2 and now that i've come back to the story i'm fucking annihilating everything with ease.

If you do the sidequests, especially Derwin's (and have bad luck), you will probably always be more than fine. Once you get the method of air transport and take the time to explore and whatnot, you should be great for the remainder of the game. The whole "game requires a lot of grinding" looks so dumb and silly now that I've played the game.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
How do you guys cope with this catching system? Am I doing something wrong? I spend half hour trying to catch a familiar I want sometimes.

daveo42

Banned
I think my tier 3 Griffy familiar broke the party AI. I was in the
Glittering Grotto
and him attached to Esther. Once I evolved him into his final form, Esther would do nothing but keep him out no matter what tactic I switched her to. Even moved Griffy to the third slot and it didn't matter.

I eventually had to move him to Swaine so she at least keep the party alive without me switching over to her to heal the party.

GolazoDan

I've played like 2 and a half hours of this, loving it so far! It's so pretty! The story's pretty charming thus far (although that Phil guy can suck a whole bag of dicks) and I love Drippy. Dude's what I would call obscenely Welsh and I like how the subtitles perfectly reflect his Welshness. I like the battle system although I've only got the starter familiar and he's overpowered for the regular enemies at this point. Not played a JRPG since Final Fantasy VIII so this is a welcome return!

Also
YOUR MEOWJESTY!

So I only just realised that on the maps in the Wizard's Companion
hidden chests are marked with a keyhole and the hidden forests and caves are also noted.
My diversion off the main story is going to get a lot longer.

Ricker

How do you guys cope with this catching system? Am I doing something wrong? I spend half hour trying to catch a familiar I want sometimes.

Pretty much...trying to catch a Purloiner and Esther never does,guess she hates the damn cat...I just gave up for now but as I gain level it will be harder I guess since they run away so damn fast on the world map...

And guys,spoiler anything you can if its related to Boss fights or story stuff please hehe...

SxP

Just had a glitch in battle. Ester just kept switching familiars, even sending out Gogo 10 times in a row without doing anything else. A never ending stream of "Here goes!" from her.

Derrick01

Banned

By not doing it and sticking to each character's first 3 familiars and the 2nd one Oliver gets. That's the main reason why I'm not going to bother with that 250 familiar trophy unless there's some way to make the taming easier.

Bladenic

Pretty much...trying to catch a Purloiner and Esther never does,guess she hates the damn cat...I just gave up for now but as I gain level it will be harder I guess since they run away so damn fast on the world map...

And guys,spoiler anything you can if its related to Boss fights or story stuff please hehe...

You have to manually switch to Esther to catch familiars. The AI won't do it.

So I only just realised that on the maps in the Wizard's Companion
hidden chests are marked with a keyhole and the hidden forests and caves are also noted.
My diversion off the main story is going to get a lot longer.

Such a damn useful tool. The chests being marked is whatever since you have the spell, but the hidden areas will be useful to know when going back to get purple chests and stuff.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Esther has probably the most retarded videogame AI that I've ever experienced.

I dunno if Mitsuru (Persona 3) topped her though.

Esther has probably the most retarded videogame AI that I've ever experienced.

I dunno if Mitsuru (Persona 3) topped her though.

Yep she is pretty much useless and unreliable, she is fine if you tell her to keep the party alive and then make sure you are all out defence, other than that, she will just die and be a waste of space.

Bladenic

The AI's problems become moot later in the game when you get stronger familiars, equipment, overlevel, break the game, etc.

But yeah it's the weakest aspect of the battle system.

SxP

What am I supposed to do here? This
pig boss
has an attack which does like 130 damage to Oliver. But the boss shows that it's going to use the attack so I defend at the last second or so. But then, in the lenghty animation of the attack you can see Oliver stop defending and take the 130 damage. Every time, no matter when I start defending. The animation is long enough to finish the timer on the defend. Should I just grind some levels?

Even though I don't usually use "story-difficulty", I would've really appreciated it in this game. Because easy isn't easy at all.

Beckx

What am I supposed to do here? This
pig boss
has an attack which does like 130 damage to Oliver. But the boss shows that it's going to use the attack so I defend at the last second or so. But then, in the lenghty animation of the attack you can see Oliver stop defending and take the 130 damage. Every time, no matter when I start defending. The animation is long enough to finish the timer on the defend. Should I just grind some levels?

Even though I don't usually use "story-difficulty", I would've really appreciated it in this game. Because easy isn't easy at all.

You mean the
Porco Grosso
? It's a frustrating boss if you're lower leveled. If you've been playing mainline only and are only around 24 or so, you may want to leave and go get some levels. Not to sound like a broken record, but you can easily take care of that killing tokos on Ugly Duckling Isle, then go back. Lightning attacks are key against this boss, don't bother with physical.

Vortex566

Please tell me there is a way to stop the AI getting killed every fight? It's not so much a problem against normal mobs, but on bosses it's horrible.

Stuart444

I know the AI problems (they are horrible) but getting killed every fight or on 'most' bosses seem odd. I was underpowered up until about an hour ago (in-game hour of course) but my team mates kept alive mostly, maybe one revive thrown per boss battle but it seems like others have their team mates get killed every battle/boss battle multiple times (>3 times)

My tactics are simple enough, leave everyone on do your own thing, set the bottom option to attack the same target as leader/me (I prefer concentration on one target to kill them faster, works better than attacking different targets) and while some random battles take me by surprise killing my team mates, I usually don't need to use more than one revive (2 tops) in most boss battles.

That said, the AI is extremely horrible and easily the worst thing about the game, that honestly can't be denied by anyone.

jiggle

only time the AI really became a problem for me was during the solosseum fights
those dummies blew thru their mp so fast they were piratically useless in the final boss fights
only survived S rank by blood draining mobs with my sword XD

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So, the news that Ni no Kuni wasn't selling shit in the Nordic countries turned out to be totally false. What actually happened was that the list for the previous week was published again by mistake, and of course NNK wasn't on it. The real list, which has now been released, has it sitting pretty at #1 (at least here in Sweden). Namco Bandai has commented that NNK has had the greatest sell-through of any game they've ever released here, and they're now printing new copies to try to meet the demand. Pretty nice!

http://loading.se/news.php?pub_id=23484 (Swedish site)

Audioboxer

Hit level 21, just finished in the desert, heading down to the port to get myself a boat.

I've nabbed a Purrloiner and Naja which are levelling up alongside Olivers Golden Mite. Esther has her Golden Drongo, and a Danglerfish/Green Buncher levelling up.

I think those are the best familiars I can get on each characters this early on.

Audίoboxer;47384659 said:
Hit level 21, just finished in the desert, heading down to the port to get myself a boat.

I've nabbed a Purrloiner and Naja which are levelling up alongside Olivers Golden Mite. Esther has her Golden Drongo, and a Danglerfish/Green Buncher levelling up.

I think those are the best familiars I can get on each characters this early on.
yeah Naja and Purrloiner are beasts even into the late game.

Too bad mite pretty much gets the shaft later on.

Bladenic

Esther is great for me. She heals well and does damage. It's
swain
who never does anything particularly useful.

Only thing that character is good for is stealing. Which is admittedly useful. His familiar selection is kind of crappy, but I slapped the monolith on him which is an amazing tank.

Also very happy to see the game doing so well in Europe. Lets hope NA is buying the game too.

Stuart444

So I was finishing off my Toko grinding (the ones that give 2000 xp) and just as I was sailing away from the island, I saw another one, quickly went back to get the free xp and what happened? The hearts suddenly popped up meaning I could tame it and tame it I did. Considering how rare it is for the hearts to pop up on toko, I think I was quite lucky :D

Top Bottom