• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

For someone who hardly ever plays JRPG's and who is not familiar with the works of Studio Ghibli/Level 5, would it be possible to get into this game at all or do I have no real chance of doing so?

Been following this game for a while and it looks amazing, my only worries about it being whether I'd be able to get into it or not.

Help me GAF, help me!

Takuya

Banned
For someone who hardly ever plays JRPG's and who is not familiar with the works of Studio Ghibli/Level 5, would it be possible to get into this game at all or do I have no real chance of doing so?

Been following this game for a while and it looks amazing, my only worries about it being whether I'd be able to get into it or not.

Help me GAF, help me!

I think you'll be just fine. The pacing is pretty good, so you're never really required to do any extraordinary grinding or anything. The story is pretty charming as well.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Couple questions for my Kuni brothers since I've seen conflicting information.

1. What exactly does magic attack boost? Is it all spells that have an element? Example: Mighty Mite has Slash N' Burn (fire element listed) but it seems like it's based off physical dmg to me.

2. What do the icons behind tricks mean? I've seen a sword, a sword inside of a shield, and a star. This where it gets confusing because I was told tricks that have a sword behind them are considered physical (regardless of element) and are based off attack power--while tricks with a star behind them are magic and based off magic attack.

I'm seriously confused as hell cause I've been basing all my feeding habits off this. Someone who knows wasap help me out <3

Anyone? :/

madhtr

Where are the best places for Toko's? I am just about to enter Hamelin for the first time

At that point, the only place is
Ugly Duck Isle NE of the Summerlands continent.
They tend to show up in groups fought in the SE enemy spawn area. You can gateway away and back for respawn. The best spawns are of the Sprite enemy, and more obviously when you see a toko, itself. There are only 4 enemy spawns on the island, so good to watch the other three, in case they are toko spawns.

Mik3F

At that point, the only place is
Ugly Duck Isle NE of the Summerlands continent.
They tend to show up in groups fought in the SE enemy spawn area. You can gateway away and back for respawn. The best spawns are of the Sprite enemy, and more obviously when you see a toko, itself. There are only 4 enemy spawns on the island, so good to watch the other three, in case they are toko spawns.

Cheers, been there and they didn't seem to spawn that often. Guess I need to pay it another visit then

Guys,
I just finished
Temple of Trials and got taming ability

I find Esther horrible at fighting. I set her to attack my mob and not use any abilities as AI burns through mana like crazy. So any tips on what to do next any monsters you guys recommend I should tame?

Also do I need to feed my familiars all the time? I forgot about that little thing and haven't fed them anything since I've got them. Do they get worse if they are hungry or?

Dartastic

I don't know which evolution to evolve my beachhead into. Should I turn him into a Fountainhead or a Thunderhead? AUGH CHOICES.

Also, any tips on finding the dinosaur dudes above or below the desert? Any tips to lure them into a catchable state would be great too.

MicH

Except for the fact that every trick has a sword/sword shield. The only ones I see with stars are healing spells and buffs.
There are also fire water and stormbased tricks. Those are also using magic attack. Not sure about the physical tricks :/ I would assume that's attack

FINALBOSS

Banned
There are also fire water and stormbased tricks. Those are also using magic attack. Not sure about the physical tricks :/ I would assume that's attack

Maybe my question wasn't clear enough. Like when you highlight a trick...there's an icon in the background of the trick--sword, sword/shield, star. I was wondering what those meant.

I realize when you click on a trick it shows you a particular element (fire/water/etc.) and was wondering if those spells are based off attack or magic/attack--even if they have a sword in the background of the trick.

I love the game, but there's like 0 explanation on that shit.

Like Esther's GoGo has a healing spell that has a Star in the background and has a holy element. It seems as if it's boosted by magic attack (heals going up and up).

The Mighty Mite, on the other hand, has a few attacks with the fire element (but with a sword in the background) but feel based on attack power (since he has shit magic attack)

MicH

Maybe my question wasn't clear enough. Like when you highlight a trick...there's an icon in the background of the trick--sword, sword/shield, star. I was wondering what those meant.

I realize when you click on a trick it shows you a particular element (fire/water/etc.) and was wondering if those spells are based off attack or magic/attack--even if they have a sword in the background of the trick.

I love the game, but there's like 0 explanation on that shit.

Like Esther's GoGo has a healing spell that has a Star in the background and has a holy element. It seems as if it's boosted by magic attack (heals going up and up).

The Mighty Mite, on the other hand, has a few attacks with the fire element (but with a sword in the background) but feel based on attack power (since he has shit magic attack)
Ahhh right. I have no idea about that either. I also feel that there's a lot about the battle system that is left unexplained. How do I know which type my enemy is weak to - and who he resists? And how I can see in battle what attribute the trick is? It's very confusing.

Audioboxer

Unlocked alchemy, wasn't expecting the surprise prior to it, was a little unprepared!

Are there any good recipes to help you out from the get go? Sadly I still do not have my hardback guide, waiting on it.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Ahhh right. I have no idea about that either. I also feel that there's a lot about the battle system that is left unexplained. How do I know which type my enemy is weak to - and who he resists? And how I can see in battle what attribute the trick is? It's very confusing.

I can help you with your first problem.

If the damage numbers pop up blue that means they are resistant to that attack type.
If they are white, that means they have no resist for that damage type.
If they are red, that means they are weak to that damage type.

SxP

Aud&#943;oboxer;47394591 said:
Unlocked alchemy, wasn't expecting the surprise prior to it, was a little unprepared!

Yeah, that taught me to save just before entering a town. My last save prior to that point was one hour before that.

Torraz

So I have to tame this green buncher monster, but those bastards just keep dying, what gives? I leveled my mightmy mite from 1-15 (and Oliver is lvl 22 now). I am pretty sure I killed over 60, and nothing :(. Any way to stop them from running away (except for sneaking up on them)?

--

Also, what's some good first merit rewards to get? Is jumping useful? How about faster running outside + more orbs inside combat?

madhtr

So I have to tame this green buncher monster, but those bastards just keep dying, what gives? I leveled my mightmy mite from 1-15 (and Oliver is lvl 22 now). I am pretty sure I killed over 60, and nothing :(. Any way to stop them from running away (except for sneaking up on them)?

--

Also, what's some good first merit rewards to get? Is jumping useful? How about faster running outside + more orbs inside combat?

At this point all you can do is keep chasing, try coming up beside them, if you can. Eventually they'll tame, but I think they're like at 6% chance.

As for awards, get them all. Jumping is useful in battle and areas where you're forced to walk, faster running will be good catching monsters running away, and more orbs is good to heal yourself. Up to you which you get first, but you'll get all of them eventually, assuming you do the sidequests.

FINALBOSS

Banned

--

If monsters are running away, I've found that pulling up the menu with Triangle and cancelling out causes them to stop running and sometimes run towards you.

As for the merit rewards, you need the entire row before the next ones unlock...so might as well go for whatever is useful first :D

Sealion88

I can't seem to catch any familiars after i leveled some to 99. Is there any equipment, level cap or particular familiar in party that disables me from catching anything?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I can't seem to catch any familiars after i leveled some to 99. Is there any equipment, level cap or particular familiar in party that disables me from catching anything?

Nothing should stop you from catching them, some have very absurdly low chances of being caught.

If going for the plat, i'd suggest catching most of the familars from the first few areas, then evolving them to get to 250.

madhtr

Nothing should stop you from catching them, some have very absurdly low chances of being caught.

If going for the plat, i'd suggest catching most of the familars from the first few areas, then evolving them to get to 250.

Does that work? The trophy says to tame 250, not morph 250 or hold 250 different. I just am not sure about that, is all.

MicH

I can help you with your first problem.

If the damage numbers pop up blue that means they are resistant to that attack type.
If they are white, that means they have no resist for that damage type.
If they are red, that means they are weak to that damage type.
Damn this is good to know! Where is this stated?? I am positive I've never gotten this explained.

madhtr

Damn this is good to know! Where is this stated?? I am positive I've never gotten this explained.

It's not explained, but if you look at the guide or the wizard's companion, it tells what monsters are weak and strong to. X = weak, check = strong. Also, the guide tells you % and weak is in red, strong is in green, and the checks and Xs are the same colors.

Received the guide today. Only a week and a half after finishing the game (though to be fair, I ordered it five days after finishing the game anyway)! Contemplating selling the golden Hurly.

Sanctuary

They were a bit on the frustrating side for me to catch, as they seem to be relatively uncommon spawns to begin with. So I ended up spending a little while trying to catch one before moving on. Eventually, though, I got one of my very own, though it took somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 encounters.

Some people get lucky and tame one on the first try.

Did you bother to use the gateway trick that was posted numerous times? There's also an area that has around six spawns that you can reset over and over to get Dinos. Took me literally 20 minutes to get my first, and 30 for my second. Not to imply that taming isn't RNG based, but on outside maps it's much easier to catch something than in a dungeon where you can't simply reset everything quickly.

Dartastic

I tamed a Toto. Hugh. Should I do anything with him?
Did you bother to use the gateway trick that was posted numerous times? There's also an area that has around six spawns that you can reset over and over to get Dinos. Took me literally 20 minutes to get my first, and 30 for my second. Not to imply that taming isn't RNG based, but on outside maps it's much easier to catch something than in a dungeon where you can't simply reset everything quickly.
Also, WHAT IS THIS PLEASE EXPLAIN I NEED TO KNOW

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I tamed a Toto. Hugh. Should I do anything with him?

Also, WHAT IS THIS PLEASE EXPLAIN I NEED TO KNOW

Toto could be used to get familiar captures of the 2 following forms towards your 250.
Keep in mind their xp to level is REALLY high.
The gateway trick is simply casting gateway twice. It resets the mobs on the over-world map.

Dartastic

Toto could be used to get familiar captures of the 2 following forms towards your 250.
Keep in mind their xp to level is REALLY high.
The gateway trick is simply casting gateway twice. It resets the mobs on the over-world map.
Yeah, I figured out the gateway Trick. Thank you! So apparently Toto's are not good for anything then besides the trophy?

Suikoguy

Yeah, I figured out the gateway Trick. Thank you! So apparently Toto's are not good for anything then besides the trophy?

They have an insane evasion stat, and that's about it.
It's more novelty then usefulness.

RangerBAD

Just found out I have to get 15 more Scrolls of Truth and 15 more Kaleidostones after doing the Alchemist's task (got 4 extra scrolls trying to get the stones). lol

madhtr

They have an insane evasion stat, and that's about it.
It's more novelty then usefulness.

They also have a decent Mag attack, and fairly high magic defense. They're not perfect, obviously, but they can avoid many attacks and still smack around some enemies with tricks.

Just found out I have to get 15 more Scrolls of Truth and 15 more Kaleidostones after doing the Alchemist's task (got 4 extra scrolls trying to get the stones). lol

Sanctuary

For those who are about three-fourths of the way through the game, but don't know about it; you'll want to get at least three Dragonstooth rings (+7 attack and +1 attack speed) for your familiars. It's one of the best items for physical damage dealers, and it's actually ridiculously easy to farm them. It's especially good for your very high attack powered familiars that have a lower attack speed.

One is located:
in one of the forest villages that's on tiny island with some trees to the west of Castaway Cove. You have to fly to get to it.
The others can be farmed by:
simply having Swaine use mugshot on either of the common Sasquash type creatures. The Sasquashi (I think that's the weakest) seems to give it up more often. Some say to use the golden glim trick where you have everyone with their tactics shut off, and simply all out defend vs special attacks in hopes that the totally random golden glim pops, but this can take up to an hour to happen. Just repeatedly farm those enemy types and eventually they will drop them. You can actually get up to nine in an hour if you're pretty lucky. If you're worried about overleveling, just save before you start and reset the game if you haven't gotten any from your first eighteen or so and repeat.

Mikey Jr.

Anyone else feel that for a sequel, they should go purely turn based?

I feel like battles are sometimes so out of my control.

Mikeside

Has anyone successfully downloaded this from PSN?
I'm in the UK, have been trying all day - 5 failures for various reasons (2 download failed, 1 corrupt data when trying to install, 1 corrupt data after install, 1 install completed successfully but game nowhere to be found)

Am trying again now, but I can't see the problem - I have over 100GB free space on my HDD but no joy.

madhtr

I hope if they do make a sequel, it's focused on Horace. I think they set that up fairly well, by telling enough of his story to make you want to know what actually happened to him.

RangerBAD

I hope if they do make a sequel, it's focused on Horace. I think they set that up fairly well, by telling enough of his story to make you want to know what actually happened to him.

He tells you everything of importance pretty much. I guess it could be of his younger self. Did you do his
post-game quest
?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else feel that for a sequel, they should go purely turn based?

I feel like battles are sometimes so out of my control.

It doesn't need to be turn-based but any possible sequel needs to have a combat overhaul. There are some really good ideas in there it's just they're all hidden behind a giant wall of glaring flaws.

I feel like with game's like this, where such a big part of the drive is exploring the world, that sequels are better off not having narrative ties and taking place in a completely new world.

Anyways, I need more quests, I must get more stamps, 'cause stamps make merit rewards. There's so much nice stuff on this third row, but it's so expensive.

JollyWolf

I feel like with game's like this, where such a big part of the drive is exploring the world, that sequels are better off not having narrative ties and taking place in a completely new world.

Anyways, I need more quests, I must get more stamps, 'cause stamps make merit rewards. There's so much nice stuff on this third row, but it's so expensive.

I believe the president of Level 5 said that if they do make a sequel he would want a new world and an adult protagonist.

Top Bottom