• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Bladenic

Just finished (late game spoilers)
Nevermore and beating Shadar. If I wasn't as OP and over leveled as I was, I imagine Shadar's third form would have lasted quite a while as it had a ton of HP. But the sequences from the marshes to the Shadar battle were super awesome. Can't wait to see what the final dungeon is like.

Just finished (late game spoilers)
Nevermore and beating Shadar. If I wasn't as OP and over leveled as I was, I imagine Shadar's third form would have lasted quite a while as it had a ton of HP. But the sequences from the marshes to the Shadar battle were super awesome. Can't wait to see what the final dungeon is like.

Just wanted to get GAF's thoughts. How good is the English dub in this game? Most Ghibli subs are pretty good, didn't know if that translated over into the game.

How many of you are using subbed, and dubbed?

Bladenic

Just wanted to get GAF's thoughts. How good is the English dub in this game? Most Ghibli subs are pretty good, didn't know if that translated over into the game.

How many of you are using subbed, and dubbed?

Dub is pretty great and very fitting for the game. Oliver can be a little weak at times. However, there is a clear lack of voice acted sequences in the game.

squall211

Story related question (major late game spoilers)

I haven't beaten the game yet, but I was curious if Mr. Drippy
always knew that Oliver's mom was Alicia. I don't remember one way or the other if that was mentioned.

Audioboxer

Monolith is an absolute beast tank.

It has pretty much no attack (doesn't even equip a weapon), but it's defense stat is crazy. I gave it to the thief party member (forgot his name).

edit: I've seen people mention single/double sign of the same familiars, can someone explain that to me?

Leunam

Audίoboxer;47425306 said:
Monolith is an absolute beast tank.

It has pretty much no attack (doesn't even equip a weapon), but it's defense stat is crazy. I gave it to the thief party member (forgot his name).

Does it have Yoo-hoo? I could use a tank on my team. Was feeding my Lemur dude evasion food and as an evasion tank with fast attack speed (Go Wild!) he was doing really well.

Bladenic

Does it have Yoo-hoo? I could use a tank on my team. Was feeding my Lemur dude evasion food and as an evasion tank with fast attack speed (Go Wild!) he was doing really well.

Yep, it gets Yoo-Hoo. I think it's like the ultimate tank save for a familiar you can get in the post game. Of course Dinoceros is a great tank too, plus it also does insane damage.

Audioboxer

Yep, it gets Yoo-Hoo. I think it's like the ultimate tank save for a familiar you can get in the post game. Of course Dinoceros is a great tank too, plus it also does insane damage.

Is the post-game worthwhile? Would suck to complete the game and then get new familiars you can't do much with (there is no new game +).

reson8or

sony-ninokuni-playstation-3-console.jpg

I want it.... so bad.

Same here :(

reson8or

Story related question (major late game spoilers)

I haven't beaten the game yet, but I was curious if Mr. Drippy
always knew that Oliver's mom was Alicia. I don't remember one way or the other if that was mentioned.

He does not, he assumed that Alicia was his Mom's double, but as you find out was actually her all along. At no point after that does the game say anything to the contrary.

reson8or

I find even when a tank type has Yoo Hoo, its not enough to keep the mobs on him if they are doing enough damage. What I tried to do was have Swaine use a Tin Man, learn Yoo Hoo and tank, Tin Man upgraded can do some pretty decent damage with tricks and has Yoo Hoo when needed, only problem was lack of Defend, iirc.

Question about battle mechanics.

There is "all out defense" or "all out offense." Is there also a third state that is the default, that your party is in when any battle starts?

Once you pick "all out offense," your only choice is to switch to "all out defense." What if you just want to go back to the default? Or is the default one of those two already?

Bladenic

Question about battle mechanics.

There is "all out defense" or "all out offense." Is there also a third state that is the default, that your party is in when any battle starts?

Once you pick "all out offense," your only choice is to switch to "all out defense." What if you just want to go back to the default? Or is the default one of those two already?

Both of those options only stick around for a certain amount of time.

how often should i be evolving my pokemon familiars?

i'm at the
volcano stage after the wizard trials
and i have that one monkey and water dude that you get from
the egg in the forest
ready to evolve.

I will have four golden familiar DLC codes once my amazon.de order comes in, anyone interested in purchasing these off me? I've already sunk a lot of time into the NA version, so they are no good to me.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is the Prima guide worth it from a collector's stand point? I saw one today while out and about and considered picking it up.

jiggle

What do you mean?

those 2 commands are temporary
the default is the AI command you assigned each character

how often should i be evolving my pokemon familiars?

i'm at the
volcano stage after the wizard trials
and i have that one monkey and water dude that you get from
the egg in the forest
ready to evolve.
you'll most likely be replacing your entire team of familiars as you progress in the game
no point keeping them from evolving

edit: just make sure they learned all their abilities first

which of the 3 stones are the easiest to do first ?

the one in NE ocean is the easiest, no dungeon
follow by the one by shipwrecked shores
and then the winterland one

They've never heard of the number 1 best selling game of the week in the UK? That's quite impressive.

Yup. Tesco, Blockbuster, Argos and Asda don't even have it on their system. And my local GAME were never even sent stock.

Which leaves me with Amazon. Where it's sold out.

What level should I be for the
Royal Jelly
boss? I'm level 25, but it's kicked my ass 3 times now. Practically everything about the game before
I got the boat
gave the impression that I was over-levelled, whereas everything after has been giving the impression that I need to go and grind :/

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
You gaf, I need to make a carrot cake. But I don't have any cake. Is that an item that can be purchased or created?

Leunam

I find even when a tank type has Yoo Hoo, its not enough to keep the mobs on him if they are doing enough damage. What I tried to do was have Swaine use a Tin Man, learn Yoo Hoo and tank, Tin Man upgraded can do some pretty decent damage with tricks and has Yoo Hoo when needed, only problem was lack of Defend, iirc.

That's actually what I'm doing now. Swaine has a Tin Man but he's underleveled so he's third-string.

Ricker

What level should I be for the
Royal Jelly
boss? I'm level 25, but it's kicked my ass 3 times now. Practically everything about the game before
I got the boat
gave the impression that I was over-levelled, whereas everything after has been giving the impression that I need to go and grind :/

How close did you get...he was the hardest Boss in the game for me so far(not finished yet)...I levelled to level 27 before I could beat him... first time I had just 1 Pheonix feather though and not a lot of mana refill,so I grinded mostly for money to buy those and I even sold some of the crafting items I had...if you reached the middle of the fight where something happens,some people say to not kill them but I did,with a AoE fire spell(or any really) and then did the run around near the edge with Oliver...You also of course need to absolutly watch his special attack and go defend and try and do the all out defense at the same time also...

How close did you get...he was the hardest Boss in the game for me so far(not finished yet)...I levelled to level 27 before I could beat him... first time I had just 1 Pheonix feather though and not a lot of mana refill,so I grinded mostly for money to buy those and I even sold some of the crafting items I had...if you reached the middle of the fight where something happens,some people say to not kill them but I did,with a AoE fire spell(or any really) and then did the run around near the edge with Oliver...You also of course need to absolutly watch his special attack and go defend and try and do the all out defense at the same time also...

Yeah, I get to the half-way point of the battle, then Drippy says to
attack the main jellyfish
, but while I'm doing that all the
baby jellyfish
kill me off before I can do any real damage. I don't have any AOE spells either, I don't think. And grinding is going to be a pain as I'm kinda stuck on
the fairy island
with few enemies to kill. Oh well, I'll try and bump up at least a couple of levels and see if that helps. Thanks for the tips.

Ricker

baby jellyfish
kill me off before I can do any real damage. I don't have any AOE spells either, I don't think. And grinding is going to be a pain as I'm kinda stuck on
the fairy island
with few enemies to kill. Oh well, I'll try and bump up at least a couple of levels and see if that helps. Thanks for the tips.

Look at all your skills for your familiars,I am sure at that point you have a few AoE spell but you never really needed to use them until this fight...if you still have Mitey,he has one and if you have some sun familiars,theres a good chance one has Ho Huff or something similar...

Bladenic

Finished the main game. 41 hours with every sidequest except the Derwin one in Peridia done. Also did a ton of other fooling around like gathering alchemy materials and getting almost all the invisible chests. Definitely excited for the post game and will go for the Platinum. Will probably post a big impressions post later, but needless to say I loved it. Definitely in my top 10 of the gen, and probably my second favorite RPG after Tales of Vesperia.

well I guess I am not the only one who gets DQ8 vibes from this game? It's a lot better than DQ8 though.

So far, yeah, I was just thinking this last night. Level-5 was involved wholly or partially (can't remember) in DQ8 anyways.

I'm enjoying it, but it's just not got its hooks in me yet. I love everything but the combat so far, but I'm saving judgement until I get a bunch of familiars (I'm still really early on).

reson8or

So I metamorphed my Griffy into the Ice-version. Was that good or bad? I'm secondguessing my choice.

The truth is neither is good nor bad, just depend on the situation and what you are fighting, specifically the elemental weakness. On the final evolution, one is usually has higher final magic power and the other higher final physical damage power. I tend to go with the familiars natural strength when it comes to the final evolution.

baby jellyfish
the fairy island

It's a tough battle but I beat him on my first try. Your best bet is to just keep running around as Oliver. Don't worry about the
baby jellyfish
. You have to have some distance between you and them, enough to get off an attack spell on the
main jellyfish
, and run away. Rinse and repeat until you kill it. Only problem I had was I didn't have enough coffee to refill my MP so I had to just wait for the
main jellyfish
to drop them.

Also, defending whenever it attacks could get you a golden orb for Oliver's super fire attack. That'll take a nice chunk out of its health. Forget about your allies helping too. They died super early in my battle so I was on my own lol

Hopefully, this helps.

well I guess I am not the only one who gets DQ8 vibes from this game? It's a lot better than DQ8 though.

Yeah, it really reminds of DQ8, right down to the way I used travel constantly. I'd probably recommend it to those fans more than Ghibli fans.

Don't know which I enjoy more though. I like DQ8's battle system and world map more, but NNK has a better story and pacing IMO.

Top Bottom