• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Sanctuary

Really? Fuck, I'm only a little bit taller than a 13 year old boy. Though I could have swore most of my friends were under 5 at that age. I must have been 4'9 or something.

Average. That counts people shorter and taller. I'm 6'4, which is definitely nowhere near average. My mother is 5'10, and was taller than most around her in jr. high, same with a female cousin.

I guess Oliver is just at the extreme end of the short spectrum. Still looks like a 10 year old. ;p

zeopower6

I get that, but even in it's skewed dimensions it should remain consistent with itself. Esther is practically a giant compared to Oliver, and she's what, 16? That little kid that's running around Al-Mamoon looks like he's 5-7 and he's not that much smaller than Oliver.

You're pretty nitpicky. Esther's around the same age as Oliver, I think, though it's never really stated, and the difference between their heights is about where it would be if she were 13 as well or a bit older.

xuNr0EC.jpg

I'm guessing a lot of people are thinking of this when they think Oliver, but he's really not that tiny later on, lol.

Sanctuary

You're pretty nitpicky. Esther's around the same age as Oliver, I think, though it's never really stated, and the difference between their heights is about where it would be if she were 13 as well or a bit older.

xuNr0EC.jpg

I'm guessing a lot of people are thinking of this when they think Oliver, but he's really not that tiny later on, lol.

I don't know how old Esther is supposed to be. I just assumed she was around the same as Oliver, but other people keep claiming she's 16. No idea where they are getting the info from.

And no, I'm not thinking of 3-5 year old Oliver. Like I said, put him next to a fire hydrant and then tell me he looks okay. Unless that hydrant is supposed to be three feet tall (which it isn't). You can also have him walk up to any woman on the street and he'll be right below her breast. He's much shorter than average for his age if he's truly supposed to be 13.

Hell, most people that I've shown the game to ask me if the main character is supposed to be eight years old.

johnsmith

remember me
Oliver just hasn't hit puberty. Leave him alone.

Just finished maxing out all my familiars on the 2nd tier before evolving them to the 3rd. Time to beat the game.

madhtr

I just finished Hamelin and went over to Ugly Duck Island... no Tokos to be found. Just a bunch of Mites and Lumerlin things...

That's why they're rare, but... they show up in battles with them, as well as by themselves. I saw them in sprite battles the most, and a few times against mites. Sticks around and you'll end up fighting them nearly every other battle or so.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I'm saving money for the half million trophy... Just finished a boss fight and I now have 499,994 guilders. :p

How do you stop them running away?

Veil is your best bet. Not only will they not run on the map but you'll always get the first strike so you should be able to prevent them from fleeing.

madhtr

Veil is your best bet. Not only will they not run on the map but you'll always get the first strike so you should be able to prevent them from fleeing.

Most people, if they need to ask, likely are not aware of veil and either haven't got to that point, or haven't been following the Horace line of sidequests.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Most people, if they need to ask, likely are not aware of veil and either haven't got to that point, or haven't been following the Horace line of sidequests.

I have no idea how or when I got veil and wrote it off as useless since the only reason to use it would be to avoid a fight. Yeah I was wrong there and thought other people might be thinking the way I did.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
So what's this game about and why are people going crazy over it?
Read the OP?

It's just a really charming RPG game that is pretty accessible for people who aren't normally into RPG's. Great graphics, nice music and a good (I think so, anyway) story.

JollyWolf

Just beat it, took me 41 hours and there are a lot of side quests I have not done. Probably the longest game I played next to the persona and Bethesda games. Had a lot of fun with it. Almost didn't beat the last boss due to lack of MP, but I came through in the end.

Game is good, no doubt about it. But so far 4 hours into the game I cant help to feel a bit bored. Hopefully it gets better. And I am pissed why you cant zoom in on the worldmap. Sometimes I have a hard time seeing which enemy that is coming towards me.

1cmanny1

I'm saving money for the half million trophy... Just finished a boss fight and I now have 499,994 guilders. :p

How do I get that? Is it a spell?

Just finished errand 78 and wrapped up the trophy for doing all errands. Also got the 1000 battles and 2000 glims trophies. Just a few more trophies left.

Bladenic

So what's this game about and why are people going crazy over it?

If you have absolutely no idea, go to Ding Dong Dell and on the map, you'll see a little area to the right of the castle entrance (second screen). The icon should be flashing iirc. That's Horace.

Now that I think about it, there's a certain point in the story for which you need Spirit Medium. I wonder if you can't progress unless you've activated the Horace riddles.

madhtr

Ohh ghost kid. But, i havent seen him at all past mamoon.... Is that normal? Where the fuck is he..... I thought i explored all the towns.

After that, I think Castaway Cove is next... Also, he gives hints of where he's going next (not always helpful, but sometimes).

Thank you. Well, back to Ding Dong Well then.

People will be upset if I don't mention that his defense tops out under 100 in form 1, about 120 in form 2, but gets into the 200s in the final forms.

BluWacky

Ohh ghost kid. But, i havent seen him at all past mamoon.... Is that normal? Where the fuck is he..... I thought i explored all the towns.

His next appearance is
Castaway Cove. He didn't show up for me until towards the end of the main events there, but he appears in the middle of the bridge over the water towards the right of the map.

zeopower6

Yeah, Oliver is totally going to have a massive growth spurt.
Just look at Lucien.

Yeah, he's gonna be just fine. :D

Honestly, just what are people seeing in Ni no Kuni who are calling this not very old school? Just about everything except the battle system is pretty old school feeling.

Oh, just beat
Shadar and all those scenes afterward aghhh! So good! I love the art + narration scenes in this game... shame there are only like two of them so far.

Corto

YAYYYYYY. Finally...

My son instantly claimed Drippy plush hehehe The quality and finishing of the book is astonishing. I almost can't remember the last game I felt so giddy getting it on the mail and putting the disk in my PS3.

YAYYYYYY. Finally...
My son instantly claimed Drippy plush hehehe The quality and finishing of the book is astonishing. I almost can't remember the last game I felt so giddy getting it on the mail and putting the disk in my PS3.

Congrats, I'm not jealous.... honest!

Loving the game so far, didn't get a chance to play last night as I had company, but will put in a few more hours after work today and my Saturday evening is free too!

Stuart444

So Going to continue the game today once my fiance gets home.

Last night, I spent time grinding
tokotokos, ended up taming one even though I already have a toko XD. My Dinocerus went from level 1 to a tier 3 evolution (the bottom one, cas-something?) at level 9 - 12 I think) Also main characters are now level 57/58 and I have several tier 3 familiars including Mite who I just didn't want to get rid of <3 oh and all of this was just after I got the dragon (which after I did, I went, got Dino and then went and trained it up on tokotokos)

Lots of fun.

How far am I from the end (keep in mind, I also do 'try' and do all errands and bounties I can though fast travel certainly cuts down on how long that takes me).
Like I said above, I just got the dragon, did all that and that is it. Heading to the stone place next down south though I may check out whatever competition thing is in the temple of trials first since I haven't done so yet

Really struggling with this game, I don't understand what I'm supposed to be doing with battles, I just spam attack, defending doesn't seem to be worthwhile unless its a charged attack.

Only 4-5 hours in and I seem to be getting pasted even from random battles.

I prefer turn based.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Really struggling with this game, I don't understand what I'm supposed to be doing with battles, I just spam attack, defending doesn't seem to be worthwhile unless its a charged attack.

I prefer turn based battles :/

Play like I do and use the magical L1 button to pause the game, and do it often. In a while you're going to get a feel for things :)

So what am I supposed to do when attacking, just let the enemy hit me while I'm hitting them?

Am I supposed to be fighting 2 enemies at once with 1 familiar?

Danj

I prefer turn based.

Characters' own attacks seem to be pretty worthless. To do any significant damage you will either need to use familiars' attacks or your own spells. The battle does pause when you press the button to select a familiar or a spell. Also don't forget you can change targets with R1, you don't just have to attack whatever is the default. Finally don't forget to check out the Tactics command (only available on human characters, not familiars) which will let you sort of set the sort of things the other characters in your party will do (if you've gotten to the bit where you have other characters yet, that is).

Danj

So what am I supposed to do when attacking, just let the enemy hit me while I'm hitting them?

Am I supposed to be fighting 2 enemies at once with 1 familiar?

You can select Defend which will considerably reduce the damage the enemy does to you when they attack you. You also don't have to wait for it to time out, so you can select Defend, let them hit you while Defending, then cancel out and hit them with a familiar or spell.

Audioboxer

This game has finally entered the phase of "keep thinking about it when not playing". I got the boat last night, and finished up all the sidequests in the port.

The graphics and animations are simply outstanding.

Jinko

My tactics are simple enough, leave everyone on do your own thing, set the bottom option to attack the same target as leader/me (I prefer concentration on one target to kill them faster, works better than attacking different targets) and while some random battles take me by surprise killing my team mates, I usually don't need to use more than one revive (2 tops) in most boss battles.

strangely enough I have found the AI much better on "Do you own thing" also, anything else should be named "Act like a retard"

Was farming gold trumpy's yesterday for the end game equipment materials but Jesus is that shit boring.

I prefer turn based.

This game would have been GOTG (for me) if it had been turn based, but Level 5 always go for this crappy pseudo real-time shite.

Top Bottom