• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Danj

If there aren't any tokotokos, unless you fight through the entire bluff and return, the enemies aren't resetting, so you're spending a lot of time fighting what you don't want to. Using Gateway resets the enemy spawns fairly quickly.

So you just gateway to Motorville then gateway straight back again?

So you just gateway to Motorville then gateway straight back again?
reload a save
gateway in and out
enter/exit perdida

whichever is fastest/seems to be working best for you. For me entering and exiting perdida was fastest and seemed to work best because you can quickly get a view of the first 3 enemies, if it wasn't a tokotoko I'd just enter and exit and check again real quick.

Stuart444

Audίoboxer;47477675 said:
Yeah I've missed a skill on my Naja, Golden Drongo and Danglerfish. Just one for each. I don't think it should matter much, not enough to recapture and level?

Especially as I think Naja has quite an annoying capture rate.

Think its splash splash and body slam/bash that's missing between them all. Not really vital skills I don't think.

Yeah, it doesn't matter much. Just keep it in mind for later on

I was already almost 60 when I got here, and am nearly 80 now after running through the Bluffs to tame some of these guys, morph some of the guys I already had, etc. I think I've defeated 20+ now. I ran out of Jumbo Stardrops, sadly. Star crystals aren't easy to come by.

How far are you into the story? Because I was level 85 by the time I hit the final boss, and that shit was a pushover.

MicH

Yeah, I found they showed up mostly in the SE enemy spawn the most. Fight visible seed sprites, they tend to show up in those spawns a lot. You can also use gateway to force the spawns to reset until you visibly see tokos, but that might take a while. Fight the SE battle, run around a few second until it respawns, and try that way. One time I fought like 5 in a row that way.

Edit: Dinos are so frustrating in battle. One time mine backed away and watched through three clicks of attack, then he tries an uppercut from across the battlefield. Rather frustrating. Even with lower attack/defense, I throw Najalisk out there. Also, fighting Tokos/Tokotokos... you need to kill them fast, so I don't recommend slow familiars.
Thanks. I've only seen three tokos so far, but I will definitely keep going. Glad to know it's the right place.

johnsmith

remember me
Edit: Dinos are so frustrating in battle. One time mine backed away and watched through three clicks of attack, then he tries an uppercut from across the battlefield. Rather frustrating. Even with lower attack/defense, I throw Najalisk out there. Also, fighting Tokos/Tokotokos... you need to kill them fast, so I don't recommend slow familiars.

The thing about Dino's is you don't use them for regular attacks. Skills only with those guys. That means you also don't have to worry about accuracy, which will be awful because of axes and heavy armor.

With skills they are the perfect totoko killers.

Beckx

Just about to head into the Marsh. I've been over-leveled for a while now. I don't like challenge anyway.... I get frustrated too easily.

Given the AI issues, being overleveled is for the best. The battle system could have been great with a detailed gambit system or better party controls.

Still, all in all, such a wonderful experience.

Inversive

Hey guys just started really, i'm loving it so far. The world map but a big smile on my face when I saw first saw it as it reminded me so much of Dragon quest 8. I'm level 9 and in the second dungeon, the sewers part and battles are just me choosing Mitey and using attack command. I take it the system gets loaaads better than this? This game is really goddamn charming!

Derrick01

Banned
Trying to find puss in boats is really pissing me off. I need to get Tachestones for this annoying alchemy quest and apparently they're one of the few things that drop it. Supposedly they're in the ocean to the west/southwest of the middle continent but I haven't found anything resembling a cat yet :(

madhtr

Trying to find puss in boats is really pissing me off. I need to get Tachestones for this annoying alchemy quest and apparently they're one of the few things that drop it. Supposedly they're in the ocean to the west/southwest of the middle continent but I haven't found anything resembling a cat yet :(

The guide tells me
The Bayous - West.
Not sure where that is located, though.

The guide tells me
The Bayous - West.
Not sure where that is located, though.

oops,
The Bayous - West.
is actually that green patch of land NW of Castaway cove. Check pg 96 of the guide. Side note, is there any giant unified map anywhere in the guide or online?

edit: woot, my guide finally came in! Man this thing is a beauty

MicH

I have a question about the signs of familiars. I have not yet seen a familiar with the planet sign. Are they extra rare? Or is it all random? I haven't found an answer to this anywhere so I hope someone here can help. Thanks.

EDIT: And what does the double sign mean? Sorry if it's explained somewhere, in that case I must have missed it.

I have a question about the signs of familiars. I have not yet seen a familiar with the planet sign. Are they extra rare? Or is it all random? I haven't found an answer to this anywhere so I hope someone here can help. Thanks.

EDIT: And what does the double sign mean? Sorry if it's explained somewhere, in that case I must have missed it.

The double sign is a tier above normal, meaning they'll have even better versions of their specified elemental moves and are more resistant. Check out page 154-155 in the Wizard's companion in game. As for rarity, I have no clue, the only double sign I've gotten so far was Naja (twin suns) but I'm only about 1/2 way through

Finalow

monsters in Glittering Grotto are so fucking bullshit, I died really fast even on easy. but hey, the boss was long (too long, IA does LIKE NOTHING) but so easy too.
MEH.

daveo42

Banned
ugh that sounds short :(

I've seen a few of the shorter runs on here, but I know mine is going to run long. I'm at about 45 hours now and still have a way to go before finishing. I'm gonna try and finish up everything before the final battle.

I've seen some creatures with planet signs pop up later in the game around
Perdida
on regular enemies. I would assume they are more rare like creatures with a double sign.

JollyWolf

Again, I am having a hard time understanding how 36 hours is short in any way. You are lucky if game last 20 hours let alone 36.

daveo42

Banned
Again, I am having a hard time understanding how 36 hours is short in any way. You are lucky if game last 20 hours let alone 36.

I think most people familiar with JRPGs are used to games that last a bit longer than most games. 36 hours is really long in comparison to most games, just not some established JRPGs that tend to have a lot of side stuff to do/grinding for levels and specific items.

JollyWolf

I think most people familiar with JRPGs are used to games that last a bit longer than most games. 36 hours is really long in comparison to most games, just not some established JRPGs that tend to have a lot of side stuff to do/grinding for levels and resources.

I don't know, I have play most jrpgs, and most have only lasted me 25 hours. Grinding is really just artfical time.

Boulayman

JRPG are usually an exception, they tend to be in the 50s range. A fairly straight playthrough usually take in the 40s. But I certainly don't mind shorter ones. The length of jrpgs are the reason why I don't play them that much anymore, I just don't have the time. For the same amount of time in one jrpg, I can play 4 or 5 regular games.

Ni No Kuni though is a delightful exception and I might try that Fire emblem one everyone is raving about if I get a 3ds one day.

Acrylic7

Fuck these Toko's. Over-leveled as hell trying to catch one
Has anyone else had any lucky getting one?

Since when is 36 hours short?

for a JRPG it sounds very short. It sounds like he just ran through they game without exploring or doing side missions.
I dont think I'm near the end and I'm at 43.
Nothing wrong with that, it just sounds weird.

Boulayman

I don't know, I have play most jrpgs, and most have only lasted me 25 hours. Grinding is really just artfical time.

Really ? Even the FF games ? damn you really breeze through them. I ABHOR grinding but I have never invested less than 40 hours in a ff game. Heck just the CG/story scenes must take at least 10 hours or sth ?

Sanctuary

The thing about Dino's is you don't use them for regular attacks. Skills only with those guys. That means you also don't have to worry about accuracy, which will be awful because of axes and heavy armor.

With skills they are the perfect totoko killers.

You actually do have to use them for their auto attack when their skills are on cooldown. But yeah, for the most part they are for their specials only. Earsplitter, Rock, Haymaker (if you get it leveled high enough). Haymaker can hit for 1300+ too.
Anyway, if you put a Dragonstooth ring on them, they still auto attack slow, but at least it's twice as fast as what it previously was, and they can still hit for 100+ damage per hit, so accuracy is not a waste. You can either go two ways with the Dino though; do nothing but focus on it's specials and feed it nothing but chocolate, or try upping it's accuracy and increasing it's attack speed so that it's not completely worthless when specials are on cooldown. Your special attacks will only hit for slightly less, but they will also actually be able to hit with auto attack. Personally, I think Earsplitter hitting everything for 400 - 700 (phys weak) or a Haymaker for 1300+ is plenty of special damage.

Credits are rolling. Fuck yeah. Delightful game.

Total time was 36:20.

Sounds like you skipped quite a bit. Either sidequests or cutscenes. My first playthrough took 56 hours, and I never actually spent too much time on anything in particular. I might have added four hours for leveling near the end, but that would be about it. My second playthrough took right around 32 hours, but I skipped every skippable scene.

should I chose Fluorongo or Electrongo?

eww
you did it wrong :(

edit- does anyone else have an insane amount of money? I'm over 100,000

Pick the top option. The one that gives Twinkle Twinkle. You also get electrical attacks with that, but having Thunderspark, Twinkle Twinkle, Elec AoE and that one healing spell that does a lot to a single target is a good setup with that guy. For my third slot I have a Duncecap with Mighty Light, Healing Rain and Second Wind, almost at it's max level for that form and about to change it into a Nightcap. It doesn't hurt that the Nightcap looks cool.

Boulayman

should I chose Fluorongo or Electrongo?

eww
you did it wrong :(

edit- does anyone else have an insane amount of money? I'm over 100,000

Wow you are rich haha, I have money issues myself, I have done all the bounties I can so far

I just got to that pig town, and did most of the errands as well, but I do have a hard time with money, the weapons/upgrades for your creatures are a huge money pit for me right now

Stuart444

So I've completed the main game, absolutely fantastic JRPG and my only issue with it is the AI. Loved the game besides that.

Will start on the post-game stuff and the plat when I get time. :D

Acrylic7

Wow you are rich haha, I have money issues myself, I have done all the bounties I can so far

I just got to that pig town, and did most of the errands as well, but I do have a hard time with money, the weapons/upgrades for your creatures are a huge money pit for me right now

I have issue spending money in RPG's. I rarly upgrade my weapons or buy thing unless its status effect ailments and whatnot.

I never upgrade my armor or weapons unless I see a +14 or more increase in Attack or something close to it.
I only bought 2 swords and I'm past your part :/ and I think I bought one of those 2 to alchemy something <:(

JollyWolf

I beat the game in 41 hours, was the to shot? There are still a bunch of side quests I had not done. I also didn't do any bounties on my play through.

Top Bottom