• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Boulayman

I have issue spending money in RPG's. I rarly upgrade my weapons or buy thing unless its status effect ailments and whatnot.

I never upgrade my armor or weapons unless I see a +14 or more increase in Attack or something close to it.
I only bought 2 swords and I'm past your part :/ and I think I bought one of those 2 to alchemy something <:(

Yah there's at the same time an incentive to buy and an inventive not to buy :( I think they should increase the resell value of items or sth in jrpgs. Usually I am able to resist but in this one I splurge to upgrade the equipment of my creatures for pretty much all the ones in my party at every city I visit, then I get quite frustrated when during a quest I run into an item I just bought then have to resell it for less than half the price sigh.

Boulayman

I beat the game in 41 hours, was the to shot? There are still a bunch of side quests I had not done. I also didn't do any bounties on my play through.

Well you sort of answered your own question in a way since you didn't do any bounties and the bounties are usually more fun to play through than most of the sidequests since you actually fight some challenging creatures instead of just playing fetch which is the case for most of the side quests I have played so far. They also give more money and stamps.

But there is no such thing as too short or too long, play at whatever pace you like really. So far I didn't see any really amazing side quest anyway, they are all fairly standard but the game is so full of charm that I don't mind playing through them. Oh there was that one

Where I ended up in a cave full of crabs, it was quite random

JollyWolf

Well you sort of answered your own question in a way since you didn't do any bounties and the bounties are usually more fun to play through than most of the sidequests since you actually fight some challenging creatures instead of just playing fetch which is the case for most of the side quests I have played so far. They also give more money and stamps.

But there is no such thing as too short or too long, play at whatever pace you like really. So far I didn't see any really amazing side quest anyway, they are all fairly standard but the game is so full of charm that I don't mind playing through them. Oh there was that one

I mostly didn't do all those stuff to leave some stuff for a second playthrough some time next year. Still have a lot of games to play.

Raw64life

36 hours in and I just
put the Clarion together
. I'm at Level 53 and have about 130K in the bank. I have a habit of wanting to do every sidequest/bounty possible before moving on. I've been hunting Sasquatches and Ice Queens for the last hour with not much luck for Derwin's quest, which is what's holding me back right now.

Do any of them give you anything? I was too lazy to use Nature's Tongue 15 times to talk to them all.

Boulayman

I mostly didn't do all those stuff to leave some stuff for a second playthrough some time next year. Still have a lot of games to play.

Yah, that is a solid argument. It really depends on your style. I realize I rarely replay games anymore and if I don't finish the game in one shot, I usually never finish it. And as for replaying through them, my backlog is ... monstrous, and that's just the console games. I pretend my steam one doesn't exist lol ( damn steam sales)

Dartastic

ugh that sounds short :(
Eh, I play through things quite quickly.
eww
you did it wrong :(
I don't think I did. I beat it at level 65, and did a fair amount of side stuff. Not all of the side things of course, but I've hunted a good deal of beasts and managed to do enough errands to get that large 8 point errand on the bottom row. I can just read pretty quickly, and I just skip through a lot of the text for the various "omg they're heartbroken" quests.
YSounds like you skipped quite a bit. Either sidequests or cutscenes. My first playthrough took 56 hours, and I never actually spent too much time on anything in particular. I might have added four hours for leveling near the end, but that would be about it. My second playthrough took right around 32 hours, but I skipped every skippable scene.
I didn't really skip that much. At least I don't feel like I did. I still really enjoyed it. My only gripe is that I never killed a Toko in the final dungeon. Stupid things kept running away from me. Hah.

Balphon

I have a question about the signs of familiars. I have not yet seen a familiar with the planet sign. Are they extra rare? Or is it all random? I haven't found an answer to this anywhere so I hope someone here can help. Thanks.

Familiars will occasionally have planet or double planet instead of their normal sign. But it's quite rare; I got the 250 familiar trophy without ever using a planetdrop.

Trying to find puss in boats is really pissing me off. I need to get Tachestones for this annoying alchemy quest and apparently they're one of the few things that drop it. Supposedly they're in the ocean to the west/southwest of the middle continent but I haven't found anything resembling a cat yet :(

Tachestone is a common steal from Bone Brigadiers in
Nevermore
IIRC. I seem to recall Honky-Tonkers in
Ivory Tower
have them as well.

glaurung

OK, weird-ass week this one was. I canceled my amazon per-order for the game since they still had not shipped it. Stumbled into a local tech store, noticed the game there. Decided to buy, got a discount thanks to some loyalty card points too.

Got home, stuck the disc in. Damn game made me cry already before the prologue was over. Seems nice otherwise.

RangerBAD

The only thing tough about it is getting over the fact that you have to sink countless hours into some pretty pointless and extremely boring farming.

Yeah, it's the farming and grinding, but at least the music helps.
I found that the Philmobile is good for running things off to make the familiars re-pop faster if you're looking for one specifically.

Finalow

zzz Tokotoko or whatever are called, 3 hours to find one and then he goes away after 2 secs. bullshit.

btw there is a spell that makes you invisible or something so you can catch enemies running from you, right? How is it called?

most jrpgs i play are over 50 hours. Heck, I spent over 150 hours on tales of graces f.
ew man, at least spend all those hours on some good tales of.

Sanctuary

I didn't really skip that much. At least I don't feel like I did. I still really enjoyed it.

That's really all that matters in the end.

oh nice, I'm there right now.

Veil is convenient, but you can stop enemies from running away a little bit before that (not too terribly sooner though) by casting the spell that allows you to see hidden chests on the overworld map. You have to recast Veil after every battle anyway, so it's not like one saves that much time over the other. The main difference is when you're in dungeons.

I captured a Tokotoko on first encounter. What's so special about them?

They give great XP mind.

I'm about 46 hrs in now and lvl 58. All side quests and hunts done. Will go after the invisible chests soon. Just heading to the
marshes

Took me forever to tame the lotus bubbud. So relieved to finally get him. Then I had the annoyance of trying to find Star Crystals to metamorph 3 familiars for his next quest. Why are all my familiars Star when it's the least abundant of the drops/rewards?! :(

Finalow

Veil is convenient, but you can stop enemies from running away a little bit before that (not too terribly sooner though) by casting the spell that allows you to see hidden chests on the overworld map. You have to recast Veil after every battle anyway, so it's not like one saves that much time over the other. The main difference is when you're in dungeons.
oh, never used it for that. I will try that tomorrow, ty.

Now that I got the ability to steal, do any of the unique monsters like bosses and bounty hunts have something special to steal, kinda like in FFIX or is it just for normal monsters?

zeopower6

Now that I got the ability to steal, do any of the unique monsters like bosses and bounty hunts have something special to steal, kinda like in FFIX or is it just for normal monsters?

Bounty hunts don't normally drop anything or have items that can be stolen. However, there are a few bosses that have items you can't get otherwise. (most in the post-game, while one is
after the Manna/White Ash falls
)

RDreamer

Finding this stupid cog familiar for that quest is annoying. I've fought a few, but couldn't catch them. Now I can rarely even find one to fight much less catch. It's the last I need for the automata quest, too. This is crazy! I'v been on this quest for like 3-4 hours now...

Edit: You've gotta be kidding me! Finally got the Sprog Cog...but...

I was fighting for so damned long I morphed the little automata guy... now he won't accept it for the quest. I'm so angry right now...

Bounty hunts don't normally drop anything or have items that can be stolen. However, there are a few bosses that have items you can't get otherwise. (most in the post-game, while one is
after the Manna/White Ash falls
)

Thanks!

Oh man I didn't know EU had 2 free DLC familiars! Are they any good (Draggle and Golden something?) and how do you access them after download?

nonnocere

Finding this stupid cog familiar for that quest is annoying. I've fought a few, but couldn't catch them. Now I can rarely even find one to fight much less catch. It's the last I need for the automata quest, too. This is crazy! I'v been on this quest for like 3-4 hours now...

I was fighting for so damned long I morphed the little automata guy... now he won't accept it for the quest. I'm so angry right now...

You can find them
on Teeheeti Island and near Haemlin

RangerBAD

Why did you morph it? :(

Shane86

Started this today and played for 4 hours straight ( a lot for me). Really missed these kinds of games, Blue Dragon is probably the last I played in this genre and that wasn't great.

RDreamer

Why did you morph it? :(

I thought he would still count. He's still a little automata just like the guy described. I guess I just wasn't thinking because I was out there fighting for so long for that stupid cog familiar. I was surprised that other one even got to a morphable state.

Anyway, finally finished that darned quest... took long enough.

zeopower6

Do not metamorph Familiars unless you absolutely need to or you know that they aren't needed in the future.
Mite early on when they force you the Derwin quests for Sasquash (has snow on head)/Ice Queen/Lotus Bubbud and Wisp/Honky/Fry final forms.
Derwin's pretty specific about what he wants so he generally wants first forms only. :(

How do the metamorphosis work tho? I have done them after the familiar has learned all the tricks it can. Is there any point to keep it unevolved longer?

zeopower6

How do the metamorphosis work tho? I have done them after the familiar has learned all the tricks it can. Is there any point to keep it unevolved longer?

Generally, it's best to just do it as soon as they learn all the tricks you want and they're also metamorphable.

The advantage to maxing them out beforehand is that they'll get a 10-20 point boost in their final form at max level (or the next form if it's a first form, I guess) but it is not worth it if you're just trying to complete the game normally.

RangerBAD

I thought he would still count. He's still a little automata just like the guy described. I guess I just wasn't thinking because I was out there fighting for so long for that stupid cog familiar. I was surprised that other one even got to a morphable state.

Anyway, finally finished that darned quest... took long enough.

Done with it until the next Derwin quest, right? lol

Replicant

Started this today and played for 4 hours straight ( a lot for me). Really missed these kinds of games, Blue Dragon is probably the last I played in this genre and that wasn't great.

It's also neat that his selected singer was his daughter. ~_~

Nepotism aside, she still sounds 10 times better than her English counterpart.

In another note, was I the only one who thought "What a fat cow!" the minute you know who was revealed? /tenyearold

Yeah, I did the same thing with Tin Man. Morphed it and he wouldn't accept it. Had to capture another one.

Derrick01

Banned
Can anyone with the guide help me out with this one familiar capture quest? It's #074.

I have the
flash fry
but I can't find a good guide that tells me what the other two first form creatures are.

madhtr

Can anyone with the guide help me out with this one familiar capture quest? It's #074.

I have the
flash fry
but I can't find a good guide that tells me what the other two first form creatures are.

You need a Wispula (Wisp) and a Trumpy-pumper (Shonky-honker).

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I took a Wisp from level 1->26 in a battle I faced 2 Tokotokos. Now that battle felt good. Hehe.

That's what I'm doing. Giving each character one leveled familiar and two fresh caught familiars. It's great seeing some of them max out their levels in one fight.

As much as I love this game the core combat is not all that good. The regular encounters turn into a level check then the bosses just boil down to “All Out” till Oliver is the only one left standing then circle strife the boss casting spells till its dead.

While still a very good game a little of the charm is gone.

madhtr

Thanks. Got to the point where it's available, but didn't want to jump ahead and play there if it was part of the story at some point later on.

Nope, once it's available, go to town.

As much as I love this game the core combat is not all that good. The regular encounters turn into a level check then the bosses just boil down to &#8220;All Out&#8221; till Oliver is the only one left standing then circle strife the boss casting spells till its dead.

It all boils down to how you play the game. I have never really had that issue, and now that I'm over-leveled, doubt I ever will. You just have to pay more attention to your party during boss battles, is all.

Top Bottom