• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Bladenic

I'm currently in Hamelin. I haven't really done any story missions yet as i've just been clearing out the errand board. Anyway, Oliver is at 37 and Mitey is at 35 in his second form. He's still the hardest hitting familiar that I have (the other two are Purrcy and Biggs). This is kind of starting to worry me since i've heard that Mitey isn't really that good once you get later into the game. Are there any familiars that I can pick up now that will work out well for the rest of the game?

Why worry? He's still fine for where you are. You can keep him until you can get a Dinoceros, which won't be for a little while still. And the swashbuckling cat familiar eclipses him soon as well on it's third form.

anyone?

btw battles are getting really boring, IA is shit and it's a lot worse late game than early. also I don't understand why they need 5 or more seconds to defend when I use "all defend" or w/e is called, if the boss is fast with those moves they won't defend at all and it's really stupid.

Feed him some accuracy improving food. His accuracy on the third form becomes better too. And finally, don't use him just to Attack. Use his tricks like Earsplitter and the rock ones. For normal battles use another familiar.

And yeah the AI sucks.

Le_Darck

Banned
I'm currently in Hamelin. I haven't really done any story missions yet as i've just been clearing out the errand board. Anyway, Oliver is at 37 and Mitey is at 35 in his second form. He's still the hardest hitting familiar that I have (the other two are Purrcy and Biggs). This is kind of starting to worry me since i've heard that Mitey isn't really that good once you get later into the game. Are there any familiars that I can pick up now that will work out well for the rest of the game?

Get a Clinketyclank, high stats overall and I'm still using it at level 60.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I'm hearing so much complaints about the battles, I really don't get it. I find it to be one of the most fun battle systems ever. Sure, the A.I likes to use their MP but that's the only problem i've encountered so far.

You're still pretty early in the game right now. The flaws in the battle system become pretty apparent and far more frquent the farther you get and by the end it just becomes a full-on mess.

Well at this point in the game you could have a Naja as well as your Purrloiner. Those two become pretty damn tough later on but are probably still outclassed by Mitey where you are.

Bladenic

Well at this point in the game you could have a Naja as well as your Purrloiner. Those two become pretty damn tough later on but are probably still outclassed by Mitey where you are.

Honestly I almost never bothered using the Naja (evolved him to Mahanaja I believe). His attack eclipses Puss in Boats eventually, but his equipment is much worse and his defense is shit. Basically, Puss in Boats wins for the mid to early late game, then you have Dinoceros. No point to Naja.

johnsmith

remember me
I beat
Khulan's nightmare
and I'm currently level

Am I at a solid level right now moving forward? Just curious.
Now is the perfect time to grind totokos. If you spend about an hour doing it, the rest of the game should be a cakewalk. I went from level 40 to 70 at this point.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly I almost never bothered using the Naja (evolved him to Mahanaja I believe). His attack eclipses Puss in Boats eventually, but his equipment is much worse and his defense is shit. Basically, Puss in Boats wins for the mid to early late game, then you have Dinoceros. No point to Naja.

My Mahanaja hits harder and takes less damage when hit than my Puss in Boats but the downside is it also attacks slower and doesn't evade damage nearly as well. I honestly haven't checked how each actually stack up DPS wise.

Bladenic

My Mahanaja hits harder and takes less damage when hit than my Puss in Boats but the downside is it also attacks slower and doesn't evade damage nearly as well. I honestly haven't checked how each actually stack up DPS wise.

Really? I don't see how it could take less damage considering it was inherently lower defense and no armor. Eh, I've stopped using both since Dino is all you need later on anyway.

Why worry? He's still fine for where you are. You can keep him until you can get a Dinoceros, which won't be for a little while still. And the swashbuckling cat familiar eclipses him soon as well on it's third form.

Get a Clinketyclank, high stats overall and I'm still using it at level 60.

Thanks! I guess i'll drop Biggs from my party. He's only there right now because IGN has him as a good familiar to use early on in the game. But i've found him to be completely worthless. He's extremely slow and does hit particularly hard.

Bladenic

Thanks! I guess i'll drop Biggs from my party. He's only there right now because IGN has him as a good familiar to use early on in the game. But i've found him to be completely worthless. He's extremely slow and does hit particularly hard.

I assume that's a bighorn? I think they're meant to be used as tanks, not damage dealers. But you're over leveled anyway so you probably don't need him.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Really? I don't see how it could take less damage considering it was inherently lower defense and no armor. Eh, I've stopped using both since Dino is all you need later on anyway.

My Purrloiner is great at avoiding damage outright but when he does get hit...Ouch. I think I also boosted my Naja's DEF quite a bit but I can't remember.

Your Bighorn gets some pretty decent healing tricks later on but nothing to get excited about. I think Esther has an affinity with his genus type so it might be worth giving to her since it can take a beating and she can still heal with it up. Otherwise I'd just send him to the retreat.

Bladenic

Where can I find these glorious creatures and what do they look like?

They roam the area known as Billy Goat's Bluff, which is the small stretch of land leading to Perdida. They look like a small green blob with a staff. They always run away though, so you have to sneak up on them or use the spell Veil. Don't confuse them with the egg enemies, which have a "tail."

Derrick01

Banned
Oh shit I finally got my 5th scroll of truth after an hour and a half of looking. I had saved and was making 1 last run before stopping and it actually happened. Worst side quest ever.

Bladenic

Oh shit I finally got my 5th scroll of truth after an hour and a half of looking. I had saved and was making 1 last run before stopping and it actually happened. Worst side quest ever.

That's next on my list. I think I'll try the stealing trick to get it.

They roam the area known as Billy Goat's Bluff, which is the small stretch of land leading to Perdida. They look like a small green blob with a staff. They always run away though, so you have to sneak up on them or use the spell Veil. Don't confuse them with the egg enemies, which have a "tail."

Do they spawn often or no? I wouldn't think so if they give up so much EXP.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
That's next on my list. I think I'll try the stealing trick to get it.

What stealing trick? I'm working on this quest now and I have yet to actually get one scroll. Whoever thought it would be a good idea to make you farm so many rare drops off rare spawns was a good idea needs to stop making games.

Do they spawn often or no? I wouldn't think so if they give up so much EXP.

They spawn just like everything else. They're only slightly less common but they're hardly rare. Just cast veil and run us and down that stretch or cast gateway or duck into town. All of those methods will help them spawn.

Bladenic

What stealing trick? I'm working on this quest now and I have yet to actually get one scroll. Whoever thought it would be a good idea to make you farm so many rare drops off rare spawns was a good idea needs to stop making games.

They spawn just like everything else. They're only slightly less common but they're hardly rare. Just cast veil and run us and down that stretch or cast gateway or duck into town. All of those methods will help them spawn.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/998014-ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch/65357616

SxP

Anyone know where I can get some sundrops? I've been getting moondrops and moondrops only from enemies and I haven't seen them available for purchase. I've just cleared
the Hamelin past story line

Broman1978

Tell me about it=/
I have 5 scrolls and 4 kaleidostones, the last stone I have been trying like a mad man the last 5 hours to get =(

Derrick01

Banned
Tell me about it=/
I have 5 scrolls and 4 kaleidostones, the last stone I have been trying like a mad man the last 5 hours to get =(

The stones were easy for me since I had 3 already when starting that quest and I guess I got lucky with the dragon spawns. It helps that they seem to always carry the stones too whereas the creatures who carry the scrolls seem to almost never carry them.

On a happier note I just finished all the errands/bounties and got another gold trophy. I wish I would have chosen the final merit reward sooner as it's the most helpful one of them all.

Raw64life

Took me forever to tame the lotus bubbud. So relieved to finally get him. Then I had the annoyance of trying to find Star Crystals to metamorph 3 familiars for his next quest. Why are all my familiars Star when it's the least abundant of the drops/rewards?! :(

Encountering the same frustration now. Not even counting the sidequests I had to metamorphose some of my star familiars later than I would've liked because I had no star/jumbo stardrops. Meanwhile, I had a ton of every other kind of drop. So of course when I get to this sidequest, all 3 of the familiars Derwin wants are of the star variety. I hate this guy. I think I'm going to make an exception to my don't move on until all sidequests are completed rule because this is just ridiculous.

I found one and wow, the exp! 9k! My whole team leveled up at least a level, maybe more. I love these things lol

Dear GAF,
what am I doing wrong? I just arrived at
Hamelin
and am lvl
29-26

My main familiars are: Lemahl, Mitey and Carnaj. I have a few others between 23 and 11. Now I still get my bottom handed to me in some fights. I levelled familiars as I got them and sadly most of them aren't that good, so I checked a few guides and picked up Purrloiner and Naja but now I have to level them up. So I'm in this stupid spot where I need to grind and grind so my guys get up to my level.

How do you folks do it? How do you keep a balanced party?

Another thing... Should I try to have 1 dmg, 1 tank and 1 healer for each character or?

And lastly should I feed my familiars stuff that enhance their best stats or try and get lacking stats up to speed?

SkylineRKR

I dropped Biggs around Hamelin too, he's shit. I'd prefer a Yellow Buncher for a Tank. Purrloiner is coming along better and better, I like that creature.

I dropped Biggs around Hamelin too, he's shit. I'd prefer a Yellow Buncher for a Tank. Purrloiner is coming along better and better, I like that creature.

My Swain has a Beam-Man, Underripe Buncher, and Puss In Boats, and they're pretty unbelievable.

That said, a Tin-Man or Buncher familiar would both work fine as a tank. Bighorns and Monoliths also have really high DEF, but they really don't do a whole lot. But if you want a tank that can do tons of damage, there's no substitute for a Dinoceros.

So I'm 21 hours in... And my progress report says I'm 50% complete... But I think I'm more!!

I just got the
Flaying Dragon
... So how much % I'm truly in? How many hours I've left?

The game is amazing and I love it so much but the story is.... Awfuly simple and childish and not interested at all :/

RPGCrazied

Jeepers, the wizard book is going for almost $200 by itself on eBay! I guess I won't be getting it. That's all I really wanted, and I beat the game already, so not a big deal I guess.

Tank wise, no one beats a monolith early game, his attacks are worthless but hes resistant to physical damage and has a ton of defense.

progress wise, I finally got to Yule and i think I'm way overleveled haha. Finished nearly all the sidequests up to here and have farmed the tokos and those higher lvl ones at Perdia. All my characters are ~lvl 50 with the familiars between 30-48. Oliver has a Puss on Boats, Honky-Tonker (this is suppose to have the highest MA in the game but I havent found a use for him yet) and Mahanaja. Swaine has a Bone Baron (god his stats suck early-mid lvls), Phantasma and Neolith to tank. Esther has a Grimray, Umberwood (got so lucky with this capture, turns out this dude will have the highest Def in the game) and Fluorongo. Been using Swaine to tank, steal and cast fire spells mostly, Esther is my general healer and backup mage and Olliver is the physical damage dealer for me. If spells are required I just switch to Olliver himself.

Been trying to give each character their "favorite" type familiars but I'm really not seeing any benefits. Is it worth it to make sure they all match or should I just mix it up?

If anyone is interested in seeing what familiars tops the charts for each stat category here:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/998014-ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch/65295773

SkylineRKR

Jeepers, the wizard book is going for almost $200 by itself on eBay! I guess I won't be getting it. That's all I really wanted, and I beat the game already, so not a big deal I guess.

Knickers, thats a flipping lot!

I do kind of regret not getting it, the book looks nice from what I've seen from the digital version. Its also a bit of a hassle to through the digital pages.

I have to find now the
Three Stones
... How much % I'm on the game? How many hours left?

I'm 22 hours in and I'm 50% complete as the telling stone shows.

hawk2025

Knickers, thats a flipping lot!

I do kind of regret not getting it, the book looks nice from what I've seen from the digital version. Its also a bit of a hassle to through the digital pages.

Well done, you two :)

hmm, i think i'm playing this game wrong. i just got my third familiar and i don't really use them that much. i just run around and hit fireballs. i just defeated that second forrest spirit thing and i didn't use a familiar at all. when i use them i get hit a lot and when i just use oliver and spam fireballs he doesn't even come near me.

also only the knight guy seems practical when i use them. the monkeycat thing is terrible.
what am i doing wrong?

Dreamer RD

Aside from DLC like Griffy, yeah. Once you've got a Dinoceros, you're set. I was level 85 (lots of Toko grinding) by the time I got to the last boss, and OMG, so easy. My Catastroceros just punched everything to death.

Lv 85 Catastroceros? Mine stopped at lv 28 for some reason. Griffy? Not the same monster from some bounty hunt?

A Najapatra or Bone Baron will probably do more damage with regular attacks given Dino's slow attack speed and terrible accuracy, but they're not as good at throwing giant death rocks.

Yeah dinos accuracy is awful, especially with strong axe equipped. What are max strength stats for Najapatra and Bone Baron? (without food boosting)

Sanctuary

A Najapatra or Bone Baron will probably do more damage with regular attacks given Dino's slow attack speed and terrible accuracy, but they're not as good at throwing giant death rocks.

That's what having a Dragonstooth ring on it as well as giving it accuracy food is for. It's not all about just damage though. The Dinos take much less as well thanks to the armor they can wear.

You also don't use axes on Dinos. Unless you never ever want to hit with any of your melee attacks. +30 more damage over the best hammer you can use at the cost of 30 accuracy? Not even a close contest.

hmm, i think i'm playing this game wrong. i just got my third familiar and i don't really use them that much. i just run around and hit fireballs. i just defeated that second forrest spirit thing and i didn't use a familiar at all. when i use them i get hit a lot and when i just use oliver and spam fireballs he doesn't even come near me.

also only the knight guy seems practical when i use them. the monkeycat thing is terrible.
what am i doing wrong?

There's actually no need for a third familiar for most of the game. You'll end up using the same two over and over while the third only comes out to play on very rare circumstances. Some familiars like the Naja aren't actually any good until they are almost ready to evolve into a final form, so they would be one that you'd want to pick up and have just sitting there soaking up xp.

The monkey is a beast type genus. It's primary stat is it's evasion too, so it's not going to actually be that great for damage. Don't get rid of it though--for now anyway. You get more party members, and you can boost a familiar's stats (10%) by matching it with the party member who prefers that familiar type. You can tell what they like by the three icons that appear when you move your familiars around. If you don't know what those symbols represent, look at the book of knowledge.

There's actually no need for a third familiar for most of the game. You'll end up using the same two over and over while the third only comes out to play on very rare circumstances. Some familiars like the Naja aren't actually any good until they are almost ready to evolve into a final form, so they would be one that you'd want to pick up and have just sitting there soaking up xp.

yeah but i don't use any of them.

i can't yet get myself familiars.

Mikey Jr.

The percentage to capture familiars should be WAY higher. Kinda stupid how low some of these rates are. I agree for rare ones, they should be low. But I went through the entire last dungeon and fought every enemy, and not once was I able to capture anything.

Fucking stupidness for a game about capturing and training monsters. And yes, I have the merit award, and as far as I can tell, it is worthless.

Sanctuary

yeah but i don't use any of them.

i can't yet get myself familiars.

I read what you said. You just started the game too. Eventually you'll be swimming in familiar options, but you'll still find a few that you really like, and end up using two of the three more often than not. Most likely you'll keep sticking with one over the other as well and only switching to your second when stamina is getting low, or if it has an ability you really need.

Check the Dropbox URL from this link, it has a spreadsheet of all familiar's stats at their maxed level

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/998014-ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch/65295773

edit: here https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5652367/Familiars.xlsx

The "total stats" isn't any indication of how good a familiar is either. It's not like you really care about the magic attack of a physical familiar, or the accuracy of a caster. Someone was talking about how "low" Griffy was, since he was ranked 124th or something, and yet he has the highest attack in the game until you can get a Dino into it's final form and have around 20 levels on it. That spreadsheet is really only useful to find the two max stats you're looking for in a familiar. Even then, some won't even reach those levels until extremely late into the game compared to others.

Fucking stupidness for a game about capturing and training monsters. And yes, I have the merit award, and as far as I can tell, it is worthless.

I never noticed any difference with it either. I wouldn't be surprised if it was only giving you a +1% bonus.

Balphon

Yeah dinos accuracy is awful, especially with strong axe equipped. What are max strength stats for Najapatra and Bone Baron? (without food boosting)

Around 360 or so; I don't have it in front of me.

That's what having a Dragonstooth ring on it as well as giving it accuracy food is for. It's not all about just damage though. The Dinos take much less as well thanks to the armor they can wear.

Naja and Bonehead have fang slots too, so you're still dealing with 3 attack speed versus 5 and 4, respectively. Likewise, unlike Dinos, Najas have defend, and Boneheads have physical resist. I still think it's a push.

Dartastic

So if I want to do the post game content, what's the quickest way to level up my characters? Is it just facing the Tokos in the final dungeon? Those ones are especially hard because they seem to run away immediately and you barely see them. Any tips would be appreciated.

Top Bottom