• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Something seems strange, I still haven't received the Glim Reaper achievement even while I'm in post-game and have been grinding my butt off. I read only glims acquired by the character you control count towards this, but man, there's no way I've gotten less than 2000... no way! Anyone else in this situation?

Have you gotten the Little Battler Experience one yet? You should get the Glim Reaper a while after that or so it seems for most people.

Would you guys go with this or Persona 4 G on the Vita? I'm guessing P4G is for more mature audience??

Don't write NNK off as being for kids, it's a great game and extremely enjoyable. The artwork and design is just amazing, it's as close to playing a cartoon as I've seen. I really can't commend this game enough and really hope they will bring on a sequel.

Tizoc

There is no other way than that one merit award and leveling up. Be warned tho that leveling increases it extremely little so just keep trying to catch them if you really want to do it or skip it and do it post game ect.

Oh there's a merit reward that increases the chances of monsters joining you? Neat will wait to get that first then =)

Oh there's a merit reward that increases the chances of monsters joining you? Neat will wait to get that first then =)
It increases your chance by 10% of the original value IIRC.

So, if the monster has a 5% chance to join you, it's 5.5% now. I wouldn't wait on it.

madhtr

It increases your chance by 10% of the original value IIRC.

So, if the monster has a 5% chance to join you, it's 5.5% now. I wouldn't wait on it.

25%, but still, that only takes 5% to 6.5%. 1% goes to 1.25%. Etc.

Something seems strange, I still haven't received the Glim Reaper achievement even while I'm in post-game and have been grinding my butt off. I read only glims acquired by the character you control count towards this, but man, there's no way I've gotten less than 2000... no way! Anyone else in this situation?

It took me well into the end-game to get this trophy, and I was doing battle after battle to tame the 250.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Put about 20 hours in so far, just got
the dragon.
Very excited to keep going, if not for the fact that I'm so Pokemon obsessed that anything that scratches the itch will keep me interested forever.

I'm rocking that Puss in Boats now, if only because of his eye patch. Just got me a dinoceras or whatever too. Ready to take over the world.

Mazre

Picking this back up after an unintended month long hiatus for Persona 4 Golden. Just got to the Faycare Center. Absolute visual treat.

Edit: In related news I think I may now have diabetes.

nib95

Banned
Ok, so some spoilers in here...

So I just beat Shadar. Awesome final boss and great final wrap up. Quite a touching story, with some nice twists and epic moments. For once an RPG ends leaving questions for the next game, but still managing to end on a seriously satisfying conclusion.

My question however, is how long does the post game take? How much is actually left to do? On the errand board I only have one errand left to do, I have no bounties to collect. So what is there to do? I'm at Ding Dong Dell and a party is about to start I think. Directly after defeating Shadar and getting Alicia's locket.

Just curious as to whether it's worth it to carry on playing. No point getting stronger or levelling up more if there's no one else strong left to battle. Pretty sure I could do S rank in the Tourney at the Temple of Trials. My team is pretty solid (all 3rd form, high level).

Any answers would be welcome!

PolishQ

I just
got my ass kicked by Shadar on my way to Autumnia. Which familiars should I have with me? All my main characters are level 25 and I got completely destroyed
Please help! ;)

Give it another shot. Here's a hint:
You don't have to get his health bar to zero to win the fight.

So I just beat Shadar. Awesome final boss and great final wrap up. Quite a touching story, with some nice twists and epic moments. For once an RPG ends leaving questions for the next game, but still managing to end on a seriously satisfying conclusion.

My question however, is how long does the post game take? How much is actually left to do? On the errand board I only have one errand left to do, I have no bounties to collect. So what is there to do? I'm at Ding Dong Dell and a party is about to start I think. Directly after defeating Shadar and getting Alicia's locket.

Just curious as to whether it's worth it to carry on playing. No point getting stronger or levelling up more if there's no one else strong left to battle. Pretty sure I could do S rank in the Tourney at the Temple of Trials. My team is pretty solid (all 3rd form, high level).

There are many more difficult fights ahead of you. The story is not yet over.

Zertez

I was finally able to afford this up over the weekend. Are the hidden items, secret areas fairly reasonable to find or is the strategy guide almost a must for the game? I dont mind playing the game over a few times, but some rpgs have special items, characters, and areas that are next to impossible to find without spoilers.

I was finally able to afford this up over the weekend. Are the hidden items, secret areas fairly reasonable to find or is the strategy guide almost a must for the game? I dont mind playing the game over a few times, but some rpgs have special items, characters, and areas that are next to impossible to find without spoilers.
Nothing important is missable. I found most of the secret areas by myself. The game does a good job of giving you hints.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

You didn't even see any credits roll, C'mon Man

Zertez

Nothing important is missable. I found most of the secret areas by myself. The game does a good job of giving you hints.
Thanks, I think if I get stuck at something, I can ask here or look around. I had to ask because some jrpgs have ridiculous hidden secrets that I dont think are possible to find without a spoiler, getting lucky and stumble upon it, or spend 100s of hours looking.

Thanks, I think if I get stuck at something, I can ask here or look around. I had to ask because some jrpgs have ridiculous hidden secrets that I dont think are possible to find without a spoiler, getting lucky and stumble upon it, or spend 100s of hours looking.
Ni No Kuni avoids all the cardinal sins of RPGs...aside from not letting you control your party members.

daycru

Going back and collecting all of the chests now that I have the spell where they pop up on the map. I am missing chests in Glittering Grotto. There was a scene where I was there originally where you jump on a platform only to have it fall beneath your feet. Well, that platform is gone. I have no way of getting to the other area of the Grotto to find the chests. Am I fucked?

Anyone?

Rootbeer

Banned
Have you gotten the Little Battler Experience one yet? You should get the Glim Reaper a while after that or so it seems for most people.

I've read that but hasn't been true in my case. Yeah I have that achievement, I got it before post-game too. So here I am 20 hours later. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Tizoc

Well the banana monster ended up joining me and managed to finish that errand haha.

Made it to the Port city and its subtitle gave me a chuckle.
Getting the Alchemy Pot was...interesting, I expected to just get it like in DQ8 and a few other games NOT FIGHT FOR IT XD!
That was the hardest fight yet and came outta nowhere. Kinda glad that a KOed character still gets EXP, but that fight made up for its difficulty with Al Khemi's humorous antics.
Speaking of which Al Khemi is an interesting pun:
1- Obviously pronouncing it will have it sound as alchemy
2- It's a jab at an arabic-like name
3- Alchemy in arabic is Al-Khemiya

nonnocere

I thought the Glim Reaper trophy was glitched as well. It took a long time to pop after the battle trophy for me.

I wouldn't fret. You'll get it before you finish the post game content.

BTW my last glim was a single "flying" blue glim after a battle for zero points, so those count.

Arthea

hi lucky Ni no kuni owners
I can't wait for my Ni no kuni to be delivered finally. It's late by a week!

I have one silly question. How about downloadable pokemons (sorry, couldn't resist) for Eu? Are they any good?

hi lucky Ni no kuni owners
I can't wait for my Ni no kuni to be delivered finally. It's late by a week!

I have one silly question. How about downloadable pokemons (sorry, couldn't resist) for Eu? Are they any good?

I used the Draggle. You might as well download them, you receive them as tickets in game that you can later on get ''pokemons'' with and just use them or not use them however you want.

One of the things I liked about the fairly easy difficulty was that I didn't have to worry about having good pokemons or not. For example the first pokemon you receive becomes less useful late in the game but I used him all the way through. If you want some giga strong pokemons you can get them later on anyway and get them leveled up very fast.

My main party at the end of the game was Dynamite, Dragamuffin, Rhinobore, Captain Zombo, Overripe Buncher, Tadabout, Aye-Aye Sir, Jabbergrubby and Flourongo.

stolin

I thought mine was glitched for sure.. There was about 30 hours of play between my 1000 battle wins and my Glims. It didn't make sense to me since I was collecting 2-3 Glims per battle. There must be some hidden condition for them to apply. I only got it around 75 hours of playtime.

Just keep at it. It will pop.

stolin

Going back and collecting all of the chests now that I have the spell where they pop up on the map. I am missing chests in Glittering Grotto. There was a scene where I was there originally where you jump on a platform only to have it fall beneath your feet. Well, that platform is gone. I have no way of getting to the other area of the Grotto to find the chests. Am I fucked?

Nope you can get them all everywhere. In Glittering Grotto I had one missing for a long while.

The one that doesn't show on the map with the spell is located after going down the spiral ice into the next area, go past/through that falling ice that you stepped on to get the visible chest, then there's a hidden ice fall behind there.

Good luck.

Bresson

Neo Member
I played my first 2 hours yesterday. I rarely cry or laugh out loud when playing games, this game managed to make me do both in my first hour. Really impressed with the design so far as well, everything is so clean and well put together.

I used the Draggle. You might as well download them, you receive them as tickets in game that you can later on get ''pokemons'' with and just use them or not use them however you want.

One of the things I liked about the fairly easy difficulty was that I didn't have to worry about having good pokemons or not. For example the first pokemon you receive becomes less useful late in the game but I used him all the way through. If you want some giga strong pokemons you can get them later on anyway and get them leveled up very fast.

My main party at the end of the game was Dynamite, Dragamuffin, Rhinobore, Captain Zombo, Overripe Buncher, Tadabout, Aye-Aye Sir, Jabbergrubby and Flourongo.
I've never heard of someone actually keeping Mitey all the way through.

I did.

Zero fucks given. No regrets!

But I also don't use him as often anymore, all about puss in boats and the last evolution of dinoceros.

This. Most of my battles just go Catastroceros -> Earsplitter -> Instant win. But most of my characters are around level 95, now. So it's pretty ridiculous.

Speevy

Banned
I've been experimenting with different stuff now that I'm on the
Tombstone Trail

AI Swayne seems to like Tin Man over his default dude.

I didn't start collecting monsters early on and I kind of regret it now. I don't have that many.

Gila

I've never heard of someone actually keeping Mitey all the way through.

Wait what? I've been using my mitey up until now (Castaway Coast) and he's been good, I think? Currently L20 on his 2nd form and seems to do decent damage...

Now you got me confused of what my party should be at this stage

Wait what? I've been using my mitey up until now (Castaway Coast) and he's been good, I think? Currently L20 on his 2nd form and seems to do decent damage...

your party should be what you decide on.

Tunic

Finished the main story at 55 hours today. Definitely one of my favorite games that I have played in the last few years.

Arthea

still waiting for my Ni no kuni.
It makes me thinking, how could distributors underestimate demand so much? Isn't it hurting game sales in a long run?

Arthea

I see that, but Ghibli? isn't that alone like extreeeeeeme seal of quality and charm or something?
It's a pity they didn't handle a story though

I see that, but Ghibli? isn't that alone like extreeeeeeme seal of quality and charm or something?
It's a pity they didn't handle a story though

I wouldn't trust a script of 40+h JRPG to guys who write stories on 1,5h movies. It would be a totally different beast.

Arthea

I have unwavering faith in Ghibli
They can do no wrong! can they?
Actually on more serious note, I'm not sure level 5 can handle any story, long or no. Hopefully Ni no kuni will prove they can.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
This. Most of my battles just go Catastroceros -> Earsplitter -> Instant win. But most of my characters are around level 95, now. So it's pretty ridiculous.

I passed the game around the high 50s or low 60s for levels. Pretty much my battles would be as you said:

Catastroceros -> Earsplitter -> Sling Stone -> Attack a bit to see how crazy the boss attacks would be -> Puss in Boats to keep things classy -> Oliver spells -> Catastroceros once again.

Go with whatever party you want. You don't get punished in this game for picking certain familiars. Any of them can be strong enough for what you need it feels.

Top Bottom