• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Usobuko

Banned
Can someone give me some tips on Platoon. The strategy guide makes it seem so easy and supposedly its the best way to make chips, but I just can't seem to get the hang of it. I have better luck with blackjack, but the grind on that game can be quite long to accumulate chips at about a 50% win rate.

Here's what I did.

- If you have Bishop & Joker, you'll almost guaranteed a win out of 5. Unless you swapped with the dealer's King.

- Ideally, 2 cards should have a total of 11 points, 21 points for 3 cards. Always use them against opponent's when you have the card numbers ( +1 ) advantage. You'll win unless their hand has a Joker/King.

- Suicide your weakest, smaller hand against their strongest, largest ones. It will give you much needed breathing space if you are dealt with terrible cards.

So I'm getting this game this week, do you have any tips for new players?

Dinoceros.jpeg

Get Dinoceros once you're able to
fly on the dragon.

Merino

Enjoy the ride. Seriously there aint really any beginners traps and nothing is really missable. I suggest you start with Normal difficulty to give you some challenge cause you can always tune the difficulty down from menu if needed.

I supposedly used pretty sucky familiars myself and had no problems on normal difficulty without grinding.
Not exactly true.

Visit Old Father Oak regularly to inform him on your story progression and he will reward you with items. One of these is the Wizard King's Secret of which there are only two in the game. I missed the one from Old Father Oak but did get the second one.

Fully missable are a few enemy's (10 of 1 specific unique type) for your Creatures Compendium. Can't really mention exactly who they are due to spoilers but make sure you fight every enemy type during special sections as just battling them will add them to your encountered creatures list.

Suiciding your weak hand is bad advice. Here's the proper sequence of events to almost always win at Platoon (I have over 2 million chips):

1) If you have a Wizard, pair it with your lowest non-Bishop card.
2) Place all Bishop cards alone.
3) Place all King cards alone.
4) Create one stack that has a value of exactly 10.
5) Create numerical stacks with the rest of what you have; it's good to have one above 30 if you can afford it with a good hand.

Playing the game:
1) The AI always puts special cards to the left, and numerical cards to the right. IIRC the order for face cards goes Wizards+Bishops, Bishops, Wizards, and then Kings if the AI has them.
2) A right-ish stack of one card is always going to be a numerical card in the 1-9 range; I've never seen a 10-value card. Play your 10-value card against it. This is basically your "easy win" that costs you the least amount of card value.
3) If you have a King, always play it against a stack on the right to eliminate the chance of hitting a Wizard, Bishop, or King+numbers stack.
4) If you have a Wizard+low card, play it against a 2-card number stack to reduce your chance of having to fight a Wizard or Bishop (Wizard+Bishop is fine, though).
5) Play your 20+value stack against a 2-stack; if there's a numerical stack that you clearly can't beat with your value stack, try to use a King or Wizard+low card to beat that.

Remember that you need to win 3 exchanges, and this is an aggressive game. Eliminating a big stack with a small stack just gives you one loss while increasing your chances to get randomed out by the AI having better draws on its left-most stacks, and it increases the AI's control over how the "bet" stacks fight, which is something you want to avoid. Focus on the right-most stacks because they will never have surprises in them; go for the sure kills. Then deal with the left stacks when you have to.

If you have an absolutely abysmal hand (2 Jokers and a bunch of low number cards), your best bet is to create a 10-value stack, a 20+-value stack, and three crap-value stacks. Win the exchange with the 10-value stack on your first turn, win an exchange with the 20-value stack on your second turn, and then pray that you hit a Bishop with one of your three crap stacks. Remember that draws are losses in this game.

Even with predictable AI, the game is still random. Sometimes you are just destined to lose. However, I have won matches with draws like Joker, Joker, 2, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 8 using the above strategy while the AI had a dream hand. It is possible with smart play, but nothing is guaranteed. You're still gambling.

If you want the game to stay challenging, avoid Dinoceros and Tokos.

Gigarator

Visit Old Father Oak regularly to inform him on your story progression and he will reward you with items. One of these is the Wizard King's Secret of which there are only two in the game. I missed the one from Old Father Oak but did get the second one.

Thanks for the reminder I completely forgot about Old Father Oak! I better pay him a visit.

hswbaz

Neo Member

There are useful hidden items on the world map, if you have a guide you'll find them, if not you will get a spell much later to show them to you.

Avoid Dinoceros (you have to go out of the way to get one), unless you're finding the game way too hard.

Visit Old Father Oak after every major boss/event (if you want all his available rewards).

Don't be afraid to experiment with familiars as even on normal the game is easy.

Don't sell equipment unless you absolutely have to, it can be useful later in
alchemy.

The missable enemies Merino mentions don't appear until very far into the game, you will know them when you see them.

Cheska

For those who have beaten the game, I just beat
Shadar's three forms
. I know I have so more battles ahead, how close am I to the true end?

Question about Oliver's mother:
(end game spoilers)

She died due to a weak heart?
The great sage Alicia who survived a war as a child, did battle with Shadar and used one of the most powerful spells in existence to travel through time to another world.
She can go through ALL of this, but then keels over because her son almost gets hurt!?
Uhhh.....

JohngPR

Beat it last night!

One of the best JRPG's I've played this generation....and probably one of my personal favorites ever. I loved the art direction and the story is very earnest and wholesome...almost refreshingly so compared to what games are popular these days.

It was a little longer than I would've liked but I never stopped liking the game...although I'm glad I can now play some of the games I've bought the last month that I haven't even opened.

:p

JohngPR

Question about Oliver's mother:
(end game spoilers)

She died due to a weak heart?
The great sage Alicia who survived a war as a child, did battle with Shadar and used one of the most powerful spells in existence to travel through time to another world.
She can go through ALL of this, but then keels over because her son almost gets hurt!?
Uhhh.....

I'm assuming that his mom died because Alicia died and what happens to one, happens to the soulmate. Also, wasn't it revealed that Alicia the Sage was actually Oliver's mom or am I crazy?

Edit: Sorry about the double post.

Kyon

Banned
I'm assuming that his mom died because Alicia died and what happens to one, happens to the soulmate. Also, wasn't it revealed that Alicia the Sage was actually Oliver's mom or am I crazy?

You aren't crazy. It's true

But.....

You're correct in that Alicia and Oliver's Mom were one and the same, so it's impossible for the death of one to affect the other as they were literally the same person.
Alicia cast 'Breach Time' when confronting Shadar and sent herself into the future, but also to Motorville where she assumed the role of a normal person and gave birth to and raised Oliver (The final tale in the Wizard's Companion 'The Young Woman's Journal' goes into detail about this) sooooo it was actually the almighty sage herself who dropped down and died because her son fell into a lake...

The game makes a great effort to neatly tie up all of the characters, backstory and lore and to it's credit everything does make sense, except for this.

Diablos

^ Your avatar is revolting, dude.

Anyway, just got this game and it is installing. Can't wait to play.

Can't help but notice that the manual and inlay are monochrome. Meh. Also, the inlay has tons of compression artifacts.

^ Your avatar is revolting, dude.

Anyway, just got this game and it is installing. Can't wait to play.

Can't help but notice that the manual and inlay are monochrome. Meh. Also, the inlay has tons of compression artifacts.

The CE was in color.

Also, my avatar is of Prince Fielder showing in champagne. What's so revolting?

Diablos

The CE was in color.
I see.

Also, my avatar is of Prince Fielder showing in champagne. What's so revolting?
...no comment.

I really need to finish this game, haven't played in a week or two. I was really into it too!
Heh, if you have any kind of responsibility (school, work, both) in your life it's very hard to just plow through a JRPG unless you really don't want to enjoy it.

I plan on playing this for a long, long time.

Meier

Got the Mornstar but had to quit.. anyone able to tell me about how far I am in terms of progression? My only "complaint" is that even after getting the new wands, you don't notice a tangible difference in terms of character power. I feel like the game is a little bit imbalanced in terms of trash mob power. Many boss fights are easier.

I'm interested in this game. Is it the best JRPG on ps3? Worth buying at full price?

best rpg on the ps3 for me, but then the bar isn't all that high...
if you don't absolutely love studio ghibli, the game loses a lot of points because the plot, battle system, and exploration (especially in dungeons) are very bare boned, like a simplified tales of game with a different and imo less engaging battle system, and a less convoluted story. it is still a very enjoyable game that's well worth the 60$ price tag.

Diablos

best rpg on the ps3 for me, but then the bar isn't all that high...
if you don't absolutely love studio ghibli, the game loses a lot of points because the plot, battle system, and exploration (especially in dungeons) are very bare boned, like a simplified tales of game with a different and imo less engaging battle system, and a less convoluted story. it is still a very enjoyable game that's well worth the 60$ price tag.
First impression: I actually like that it's more of a bare-bones Tales. I realized this too, and honestly have no issue with it.

To me, the storyline in pretty much every Tales game = recycled garbage with a literally mind-numbing amount of mindless chatter/filler. It ruins the experience.

Also, I will note that Ni No Kuni is $50 on Amazon (where I purchased it from) for those of you who have yet to buy the game. Cheapest price I can find anywhere.

daycru

Going back and collecting all of the chests now that I have the spell where they pop up on the map. I am missing chests in Glittering Grotto. There was a scene where I was there originally where you jump on a platform only to have it fall beneath your feet. Well, that platform is gone. I have no way of getting to the other area of the Grotto to find the chests. Am I fucked?

Speevy

Banned
I bought this the other day and I have some thoughts. It's obviously gorgeous and very accessible, which is something I love about all Level 5 games. I didn't love the battle system initially, but I've warmed to it. The story is a bit silly, but offensively so like many JRPGs are.

I really like this game, but I have one nagging criticism.

It's all too much, too fast. You're given a spell, OKAY USE IT NOW there's a wall that this spell would work on, USE IT. You're given new characters and abilities before the old ones outlive their usefulness.

There's a balance between showering the player with things they can do (Fable 2), and depriving them of everything (Demon's Souls).

It seems like they built a game system that was a few sizes too large for the world in which it's featured, if that makes any sense.

Climbing Old Smokey for the hundredth time was it for me. Fuck this final errand. Not going to bother with this recycled filler just for completion's sake.

Play time: 53 hours. I enjoyed it immensely overall. One of my favourite RPG's ever.

I'm at the final dungeon now, right before entering the final boss's room.

So disappointed at the council being an illusion. I was looking forward to facing off against each one individually from the first time they were shown and then..... nothing.

Don't be too disappointed yet.

Beat it last night. I was thinking something more along the lines of facing them in one on one combat throughout the game the way you do
Gallus

More importantly,
The way they build up hype for the Wizard King through the whole game and then kill him off in a non-voiced cutscene without even telling you who he was until after the fact.... WTF!?!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Haven't played this game in a good week+, been way too busy. Looking forward to getting back in this weekend.

Ricker

Haven't played this game in a good week+, been way too busy. Looking forward to getting back in this weekend.

Same,I played but not much,just doing the quests to get the Merit skills,got the one I wanted that lowers the cost of mana...and I just got the
Clarion

I think I will only do the story quests from now on and hope for the best,my guys are level 44...

Globox_82

Banned
Ok I finished the game yesterday, I am about to give my "review".

I really liked how the game started and how you get fooled to believe this is about saving your mother before anything else. I found it to be cute and refreshing somewhat. Of course later in the game japanese developers have to pull some nonsense and spin everything around and sell us again the story about hero saving the world and how it was everything preplanned behind his back.
I got so annoyed when for 100 times bad guys turned out to be "good" guys even if they set the world on fire, they had secret agenda behind all of that. First they pulled that nonsense with Shadar, later with White .itch!
In the end I liked the game but it also reminded me why I don't play JRPG that often anymore. O and characters reminded me a lot of DQ8 characters.I don't want to sound overly negative I really like the game but I just got annoyed by silly things. I don't know how many times I rolled my eyes in 40+ hours. Japanese devs need to find another shtick that isn't "We have to save the world gang"

JohngPR

But.....

You're correct in that Alicia and Oliver's Mom were one and the same, so it's impossible for the death of one to affect the other as they were literally the same person.
Alicia cast 'Breach Time' when confronting Shadar and sent herself into the future, but also to Motorville where she assumed the role of a normal person and gave birth to and raised Oliver (The final tale in the Wizard's Companion 'The Young Woman's Journal' goes into detail about this) sooooo it was actually the almighty sage herself who dropped down and died because her son fell into a lake...

The game makes a great effort to neatly tie up all of the characters, backstory and lore and to it's credit everything does make sense, except for this.

Ah, I see what you mean. They really didn't explain that bit too well did they? :p The way they explained it it sounds like she was at two places at once.

Something I feel like I'm missing....

So Motorville is in the distant future and time travel spells can only be cast once in a lifetime, but Gateway can take you to and from the two separate times freely?

so level-5 stated back in april a sequel was possible if sales in the west were good; well, werent they good?

oh, they were very good. So much so that Namco was surprised. But even so, games aren't made overnight. I wouldn't expect an announcement for some time.

Dreweyes

Sorry for the shameless plug, but I figured some of you would be interested! :)
I designed a limited edition parody Ni No Kuni tee, only available this weekend!

$11 bucks at TheYetee.com

i8BWDUy.gif

And my buddy Marc made a rad tee also going up with mine:

uOGyrfU.gif

Cheers guys!

madhtr

Something I feel like I'm missing....

So Motorville is in the distant future and time travel spells can only be cast once in a lifetime, but Gateway can take you to and from the two separate times freely?

Nope, Motorville is
in the same time now. Shadar and the White Witch have been around for a very long time, so though this is in the future from when Alicia took off, it is at the same time as the current other world.

RedSwirl

So I just got back into this game (I'm at
Fairy Town
) and just wanna confirm something I noticed from the very beginning: Everyone in Motorville speaks with an American accent more or less, including Oliver, with the sole exception of Oliver's mom. Does that tip off anything later on?

Top Bottom