• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

leadbelly

Banned
Ok I finished the game yesterday, I am about to give my "review".

I really liked how the game started and how you get fooled to believe this is about saving your mother before anything else. I found it to be cute and refreshing somewhat. Of course later in the game japanese developers have to pull some nonsense and spin everything around and sell us again the story about hero saving the world and how it was everything preplanned behind his back.
I got so annoyed when for 100 times bad guys turned out to be "good" guys even if they set the world on fire, they had secret agenda behind all of that. First they pulled that nonsense with Shadar, later with White .itch!
In the end I liked the game but it also reminded me why I don't play JRPG that often anymore. O and characters reminded me a lot of DQ8 characters.I don't want to sound overly negative I really like the game but I just got annoyed by silly things. I don't know how many times I rolled my eyes in 40+ hours. Japanese devs need to find another shtick that isn't "We have to save the world gang"

I don't really get your criticism to be honest.

Deep down Shadar and the White Witch are not bad people, they were just 'brokenhearted'. That is the overarching theme within the story and is entirely consistent. I personally found it far more refreshing than your typical archetypal villain.

The reasons behind the White Witch's actions are quite deep and complex. Cassiopeia believed that by using manna she could bring peace and happiness to her kingdom, but in reality she destroyed it. No one was left but herself. Living in complete solitude, the guilt of her actions began to eat away at her until she went totally mad. She developed split personalities, perhaps as a coping mechanism. However, such was the power of her magic, her imagination became real. An aspect of her psyche (Pea) became personified and unfortunately only served to torment her. She reacted by banishing Pea to another world. In doing so, the equilibrium within her psyche was lost and she plunged into total despair. From there the White Witch and the council were born. Without Pea to balance and counteract that despair within her heart, there was only darkness.

To me, that is far more interesting than your typical villain who wants to destroy the world simply because they are 'evil'. :p

I don't really get your criticism to be honest.

Deep down Shadar and the White Witch are not bad people, they were just 'brokenhearted'. That is the overarching theme within the story and is entirely consistent. I personally found it far more refreshing than your typical archetypal villain.

The reasons behind the White Witch's actions are quite deep and complex. Cassiopeia believed that by using manna she could bring peace and happiness to her kingdom, but in reality she destroyed it. No one was left but herself. Living in complete solitude, the guilt of her actions began to eat away at her until she went totally mad. She developed split personalities, perhaps as a coping mechanism. However, such was the power of her magic, her imagination became real. An aspect of her psyche (Pea) became personified and unfortunately only served to torment her. She reacted by banishing Pea to another world. In doing so, the equilibrium within her psyche was lost and she plunged into total despair. From there the White Witch and the council were born. Without Pea to balance and counteract that despair within her heart, there was only darkness.

To me, that is far more interesting than your typical villain who wants to destroy the world simply because they are 'evil'. :p
I share your feeling, though I wasn't fond of how
preachy Oliver was in their post-combat conversation
. That really dampened the mood for me, it didn't seem like Oliver to do that, and she just accepted it all too readily. The twist, while I saw it coming, was fantastic.

BeastM0de

Neo Member
I just got this game. About 10 hours in. Has anyone else turned off the guiding star? It has made the game a lot more enjoyable.

Rootbeer

Banned
Anyone working on post game for the trophies? I've never got Plat on any game in my life and I want at least one so I'm going for it. Farming mats for the alchemist quest and the final weapons is a drag. But then, this is post game, it's pretty much a drag in every game :p

aTlyB13.jpg
NEATO!

Closing comments on the game:

+My favourite traditional JRPG on home consoles this gen
+Music
+Graphics
+Tons of Pokemans so a lot of customization options on your party
+Lots of sidequests and enough post game content

-+Ghibli animation scenes are charming but could have more frames
-+Puns EVERYWHERE

-Party AI can be stupid
-Terrible pathfinding
-Lil bit too easy

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Looked up and realized I just spent 2 hours+ on platoon. But on the plus from that I now have a golden tin man and tons of that sages secret thing.

RedSwirl

Why does the
fairy comedy show remind me of The Ricky Gervais Show? Is that like a common format for British comedy or something?

Very interesting article about Ni no kuni and its more subtle meanings:
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/03/03/ni-no-kuni-and-coping-with-depression
Pure bullshit. There's nothing at all in this game to suggest that the other world is some kind of inner fantasy Oliver is steeped in. That wouldn't even make sense, since he comes back to Motorville throughout the game and interacts with real people. And Myrtle engages with him and senses Drippy exists, too. Not to mention that Oliver has a goddamn cape he's running around with and a spellbook (where did those come from?!). Plus he can go back after the game is over, which would contradict the solution the game comes to (as does the entire White Witch scenario).

That's not to say that there aren't intended connections between things like being heartbroken and being depressed, but the fantasy aspect is literal - any metaphorical connection should be appreciated, but not taken to be a replacement for the actual story being told.

Looked up and realized I just spent 2 hours+ on platoon. But on the plus from that I now have a golden tin man and tons of that sages secret thing.
I know that feeling...

How did the gameplay get a higher score than the graphics?

madhtr

How did the gameplay get a higher score than the graphics?

How did sound end up the worst part of the game?

Edit: Also, I think they're relating the entirety of the Ni no Kuni story to real-life depression, not Oliver's. It is rather fitting when you think of it that way.

How did sound end up the worst part of the game?

Edit: Also, I think they're relating the entirety of the Ni no Kuni story to real-life depression, not Oliver's. It is rather fitting when you think of it that way.
I read this paragraph as saying that Oliver is delusional; it seems strongly worded if that's not the intention:
Although it can be easily lost in the game’s innocent and charming setup, what Ollie is doing is blocking out reality in favour of a fantasy world, one that’s a more attractive proposition than his own. In Ollie’s case, what’s particularly interesting is that his fantasy world not only absolves him of any culpability relating to his mother’s death (as Drippy explains to him, it was Shadar’s fault, after all), but it’s also a world in which he believes he can actually save her from death.

And I think Ni No Kuni has good music, but not great music. In particular, the music that plays when you board
your dragon
gets really tiresome when you have to hop on/off repeatedly. I would probably give the music an 8.5/10, the graphics a 10/10, and the gameplay a 7/10 if I have to throw numbers at it.

All quests done and nearly all trophies.

Only need to:
- Get 500k money.
- Get 2k spheres
- Build 120 objects
- Tame 250 creatures
- Max a creature.
- Rank S on Solosseum

And I'll get my first and last platinum.

Tizoc

On my way to climb Old Smokey, but need some tips for an Errand/Sidequest: An NPC wants me to catch a Banana monster, but I've spent an hour fighting them and non seem to want to join me @_@. What's a good way to increase the chances of enemies joining you?

On my way to climb Old Smokey, but need some tips for an Errand/Sidequest: An NPC wants me to catch a Banana monster, but I've spent an hour fighting them and non seem to want to join me @_@. What's a good way to increase the chances of enemies joining you?

There is no other way than that one merit award and leveling up. Be warned tho that leveling increases it extremely little so just keep trying to catch them if you really want to do it or skip it and do it post game ect.

Ricker

This is not really a spoiler,its about the quest about the girl that gives you a Jabba something,to level from level 30 to 40...I am level 39 now on him,near the end of the game so I am wondering if you go back to her once he is 40,do you get to keep him or does she take it back?...he is doing well,I would like to keep him.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
This is not really a spoiler,its about the quest about the girl that gives you a Jabba something,to level from level 30 to 40...I am level 39 now on him,near the end of the game so I am wondering if you go back to her once he is 40,do you get to keep him or does she take it back?...he is doing well,I would like to keep him.

I just finished that one yesterday. She lets you keep him.

stolin

I just got my 37th Platinum with Ni No Kuni.

First off, I'm a huge Level-5 fan and this game has solidified it. It took me 83 hours for the Platinum but here's my Progress Report.

Wizard's Companion :100%
Creature Compendium: 87%
Task Completion: 100%
Alchemy Completion: 91%
Hidden Treasures: 100%
Solosseum: S Rank

I'll probably keep playing the game to complete the Creature Compendium, but those Scrolls of Truth may stop me from the Alchemy.

Overall this game has enough new things, while embracing the classic systems that I enjoy to make a fresh new IP. I really hope this turns into a series since I would like to play again in this world.

I encourage any fence sitters to give the game a chance, if you ever enjoyed any classic JRPG this may be the game to remind you why you played them. Cheers.

Noahd42

Banned
best rpg on the ps3 for me, but then the bar isn't all that high...
if you don't absolutely love studio ghibli, the game loses a lot of points because the plot, battle system, and exploration (especially in dungeons) are very bare boned, like a simplified tales of game with a different and imo less engaging battle system, and a less convoluted story. it is still a very enjoyable game that's well worth the 60$ price tag.

Thanks. I'm still on the fence but will probably purchase it at a more affordable rate down the road. I have noticed the bar has been really low this cycle for RPGs and I cant think of playing any. Played Folklore and Valkyria Chronicles briefly but didn't get hooked.

How close am I to the end If Ive just reached Miasma woods?

Alchemy recipes.. ones that you dont need to create using the wizard book, like actual ones. Where the hell do you get them from?!?
I hope doing it by mix and match counts towards completion thats for sure.

nonnocere

S Rank was pretty challenging (mainly the last fight), even with a Catastroceros.

Managed to eke it out. Round 3 Thunderstorm to keep a handful of MP. Everyone was down save Oliver headed into Round 4.

Esther took the fall for the team. Marcassin survived to heal himself. Oliver succumbed. Marcassin/Casteceros plowed on for the victory.

That was close.

Can anyone tell me why Errand 136 isn't activating for me? I already completed
all of Horace's riddles and he won't give me any more.
Is it an end-game thing or what?

SxP

Can anyone tell me why Errand 136 isn't activating for me? I already completed
all of Horace's riddles and he won't give me any more.
Is it an end-game thing or what?

I'm pretty sure you have to beat the game for the errand to activate.

nonnocere

Alchemy recipes.. ones that you dont need to create using the wizard book, like actual ones. Where the hell do you get them from?!?

You're about 75% through.

I don't think mix/match counts, but I'm not sure. I'd hold onto your components, for sure.

Kaji

Sorry for the shameless plug, but I figured some of you would be interested! :)
I designed a limited edition parody Ni No Kuni tee, only available this weekend!

$11 bucks at TheYetee.com

i8BWDUy.gif

And my buddy Marc made a rad tee also going up with mine:

uOGyrfU.gif

Cheers guys!

Just ordered the Take Heart one, great stuff :)

madhtr

Most recipes are given by random townies during your travels. Usually one person in each town has some for you, just for talking to them. I had missed one late in the game and had to go around looking.

I just
got my ass kicked by Shadar on my way to Autumnia. Which familiars should I have with me? All my main characters are level 25 and I got completely destroyed
Please help! ;)

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Just beat the game. What an enjoyable experience and made even better by:

There is still more to do! I am very pleased by this

maguskain

Decided to pick the game up as a somewhat impulse buy based on the great feedback I've read here. As I was paying for it, the sales rep at Gamestop mentioned she had an extra steel case if I wanted it...I was shocked that it would still be available.

I played for about 4 hours this weekend, I can't think of a single complaint. The story and gameplay were also fun enough that my children played along for a while.

Kjellson

I started with this recently, awesome so far. But I'm wondering if Oliver and his Familiars is earning the same amount of XP if I just use the Familiar, or do I have to change now and then?

madhtr

I started with this recently, awesome so far. But I'm wondering if Oliver and his Familiars is earning the same amount of XP if I just use the Familiar, or do I have to change now and then?

They earn the same XP regardless as long as they are in the active party.

madhtr

Finally platinum'd tonight. Not sure I'll finish the final 9% compendium and alchemy items remaining. I feel good stopping now. I had such a great time with the game, though.

Diablos

Well, I just played this game for 10-11 hours. No regrets at all.

I think this is the best RPG I've played in over 10 years. Honestly.

Rootbeer

Banned
Something seems strange, I still haven't received the Glim Reaper achievement even while I'm in post-game and have been grinding my butt off. I read only glims acquired by the character you control count towards this, but man, there's no way I've gotten less than 2000... no way! Anyone else in this situation?

Top Bottom