• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

bounchfx

just tried the demo. loved it. I hadn't heard anything about this being part pokemon, wtf? All the previews and thing I read somehow I managed to not see that you collect and battle with monsters.

In fact, it's pretty much exactly what I wanted a full pokemon console game to be, minus whatever multiplayer. The graphics, the battling. God dammit nintendo do it.

Only issue is my ps3 doesn't read discs.. I don't know how to get it fixed and I don't want to pay for a full new one. Will this game be on the digital store? (though I'd rather avoid that.)

madhtr

just tried the demo. loved it. I hadn't heard anything about this being part pokemon, wtf? All the previews and thing I read somehow I managed to not see that you collect and battle with monsters.

In fact, it's pretty much exactly what I wanted a full pokemon console game to be, minus whatever multiplayer. The graphics, the battling. God dammit nintendo do it.

Only issue is my ps3 doesn't read discs.. I don't know how to get it fixed and I don't want to pay for a full new one. Will this game be on the digital store? (though I'd rather avoid that.)

Yep, supposedly on PSN on day 1. Keep in mind this is around a 20GB game, so will require double that space to DL and install.

Edit: Sorry for the double post... and had no idea I couldn't delete my own post.

madhtr

Usually I believe. We're not talking a Wii or even 3DS game here, and if they can isolate where it occurs maybe they can fix it.

Problem might be if NB and Level 5 care enough to do so.

Considering we know about where this bug is, we can avoid it more than likely.... I just hope there aren't more like it to be found. Not the type of easter egg I want to find in a game.

zeopower6

One reason why it may not have been found before is that in that section of the game, you kinda just play for an hour without risk of death in the Japanese version so no one really ever saves there, lol.

I get sad when I read all the people that want to buy the WE now. Where were you guys during the Ninostarter?! We could have gotten more stuff! :(

Seriously though, thanks to whomever posted a link to get the strategy guide from bookdepository. Amazon.ca didn't list any in stock and chapters was more expensive. I'll take the 23 or so dollars with free shipping anyday!

Eusis

After the ZombiiU debacle, I'm not sure any scores can be trusted anymore. It's more about going by your gut again or simply making liberal use of Gamefly until next gen.
Reading the text isn't a bad idea though.

Though honestly I take most reviews with a grain of salt unless something blindsides me. They can be from people I know and trust, but unless it's a very extreme score (and frankly 7 isn't extreme) or some of the things said are alarming I don't worry too much.

zeopower6

I get sad when I read all the people that want to buy the WE now. Where were you guys during the Ninostarter?! We could have gotten more stuff! :(

Seriously though, thanks to whomever posted a link to get the strategy guide from bookdepository. Amazon.ca didn't list any in stock and chapters was more expensive. I'll take the 23 or so dollars with free shipping anyday!

They did not know about the game, I guess? A lot of people came out of the woodwork when the review was posted on IGN and before that when the demo was posted on PSN.

Sanctuary

Reading the text isn't a bad idea though.

Though honestly I take most reviews with a grain of salt unless something blindsides me. They can be from people I know and trust, but unless it's a very extreme score (and frankly 7 isn't extreme) or some of the things said are alarming I don't worry too much.

I was being slightly facetious. I don't ever go by a single site anymore, and haven't since about 2005. I'm not sure why anyone would these days anymore either. I usually just use Gamerankings average and read a few of the highest as well as lowest reviews. The only people at Gamespot that I kind of trust is Kevin and maybe Carolyn, but I think Kevin is just a master salesman. He could talk up coal into being a diamond. IGN is just the online version of Gamepro (which has not been relevant since 1993), and GI is just there to sell games for Gamestop. I'm also not one that thinks 7 is a bad score either, although if it's something I'm on the fence about, it does play a factor. Although I've never been one of those "9-10 or die" kind of people either.

9,3 from Multiplayer.it:

http://multiplayer.it/recensioni/11...rega-cinerea-tutti-hanno-unanima-gemella.html

Pros :)

High production value and adequate longevity
Extra and exploration in industrial quantities
Dynamic fights interesting and often difficult
Fabulous soundtrack, excellent artistic style
Cons :-(

The game Will not satisfy those who wanted some innovation for the JRPG genre
Although of excellent quality, the Italian translation is based on questionable choice of adaptation

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch – verdict
Overflowing with brilliance, Ni No Kuni delivers on its promises and proves there is still life in Japanese role-playing games. It’s an impressively deep game but one that is always careful to keep things accessible and fun. Funny and as warm as a onesie, Ni No Kuni might lack marines, blood and fast cars but it certainly knows how to put a smile on people’s faces.

http://www.stuff.tv/review/ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch

In Short: One of the best Japanese role-players of the generation and a gloriously beautiful game by any standard, both visually and emotionally.

Pros: Incredible visuals and an equally majestic soundtrack. Likeable characters and enjoyable side quests. Interesting battle system with plenty of depth and variety.

Cons: Plot is disappointingly cliché, especially given Studio Ghibli’s input, with variable voice acting. Few genuinely new gameplay ideas, including some obvious cribbing from other games.

8/10

http://metro.co.uk/2013/01/17/ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch-review-spirited-away-3355480/

i no Kuni attempts to breathe some life into the stagnant JRPG genre, and it accomplishes this on many fronts. It reminds us to take a step back and remember what made Tales of Destiny and Final Fantasy staples of our adolescence. Given Studio Ghibli’s success with hand drawn animation (despite the popularity of CGI), it fits that this game is an homage to the traditional. With a heart-warming protagonist, beautifully illustrated world, and addicting gameplay, Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is another masterpiece of which Level-5 and Studio Ghibli can be rightly proud.

http://www.insidegamingdaily.com/2013/01/16/ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch-review/

9/10

zeopower6

I sort of wish reviewers and even regular gamers knew that Ghibli didn't really do anything with the story but... eh. :( I guess the marketing probably makes people think that though.

Peagles

Wow, thank you for the information. Glad I read the thread tonight.

I pre-ordered the Wizard's Edition during Ninostarter, but now that I know the book is in the game...well shoot! I would much rather have the standard edition.

Guess I'll try to cancel my order and get a refund today.

Nooo save it for a fellow gaf member!

zeopower6

Wow, thank you for the information. Glad I read the thread tonight.

I pre-ordered the Wizard's Edition during Ninostarter, but now that I know the book is in the game...well shoot! I would much rather have the standard edition.

Guess I'll try to cancel my order and get a refund today.

Gunharp, do NOT cancel your preorder. There are probably people who want to talk to you, lol. Not that you could cancel it anyway since I'm pretty sure BamCo's policy is like "no cancellations" :/~

Eusis

I was being slightly facetious. I don't ever go by a single site anymore, and haven't since about 2005. I'm not sure why anyone would these days anymore either. I usually just use Gamerankings average and read a few of the highest as well as lowest reviews. The only people at Gamespot that I kind of trust is Kevin and maybe Carolyn, but I think Kevin is just a master salesman. He could talk up coal into being a diamond. IGN is just the online version of Gamepro (which has not been relevant since 1993), and GI is just there to sell games for Gamestop. I'm also not one that thinks 7 is a bad score either, although if it's something I'm on the fence about, it does play a factor. Although I've never been one of those "9-10 or die" kind of people either.
Actually yeah, I largely agree with you. It's really not good to stick to a single site, not unless you really trust a specific person's opinion to match your's, and there's been plenty of games I really liked at 7 or 8 (hell, some 6s are enjoyed). You'll always get some relatively low ones too, but they can be good counterpoints if they don't blather about dumb things like how Ryu doesn't turn into a dragon in BoF:DQ or whatever.

Peagles

Haha, a fellow like yourself? Got your private message and will reply.

Alright! I'll hold onto it.

Indeed good sir! I'm actually a girl but yeh, hehe.

I am so looking forward to this game. Can't believe it's nearly out. At least the long shipping time to NZ will give us a chance to upgrade our old PS3 40GB hard drive!

I can't help but notice that a large number of reviews and impressions talk about how Ni No Kuni 'pushes the stagnating Japanese RPG genre forward'. Considering how I don't remember this game doing that at all, is this just code for 'I barely ever play games in this genre'?

Any impressions yet on the quality of the localisation? I know it is limited by its source material, but adding some flavour into the script could help the game a lot. The demo was a bit too limited to get a decent sample of this.

Sanctuary

Ni No Kuni might lack marines, blood and fast cars but it certainly knows how to put a smile on people’s faces.

Oh shit, better cancel my preorder then. It's a sad state of affairs when a review actually has to include that as a disclaimer.

Bladenic

I can't help but notice that a large number of reviews and impressions talk about how Ni No Kuni 'pushes the stagnating Japanese RPG genre forward'. Considering how I don't remember this game doing that at all, is this just code for 'I barely ever play games in this genre'?

Any impressions yet on the quality of the localisation? I know it is limited by its source material, but adding some flavour into the script could help the game a lot. The demo was a bit too limited to get a decent sample of this.

I haven't played the game outside the demo but nothing in the demo or what I have seen and know about the game seems like it's pushing anything forward. If anything it seems more of a throwback RPG with modern design. As for why reviews would say its pushing the genre forward, who knows?

But I think I've decided to go ahead and keep my pre-order. So I should be playing this game by this time next week if I'm lucky :)

Lucent

Oh shit, better cancel my preorder then. It's a sad state of affairs when a review actually has to include that as a disclaimer.

lol yeah. I'm always making fun of how there are so many of those games now and there are people who pretty much will ONLY play those types of games.

Just read the effusive Eurogamer review. Hopefully it lives up to the praise.

But I don't know if I'll manage to get and play this before I no longer have a PS3.

The JRPG's reputation has been stomped on by the loudmouths who dislike the genre, and their scorn has been backed up in recent years by the actual games coming from the east - even the big-name ones. And that's before even mentioning Atelier Meruru. But with one massive, graceful, Welsh-tinged sweep, the combined might of Level-5 and Studio Ghibli has reinstated credibility to a flagging area of gaming. It's taken years of craft and - likely - a hell of a lot of money, but Ni No Kuni is a wonderful, wondrous experience and will keep you captivated and enchanted for dozens of hours.

And seriously - Mr Drippy is excellent. I was worried his schtick would get tired after the halfway point, but... oh I'm gushing again. Recommended for anyone, apart from those who hate bright colours and the Welsh.

Astonishingly good looking at times
Cherry picks the best JRPG mechanics
As well as it's done, it's still nothing new
If you hate the Welsh, you're screwed

http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/ni_no_kuni_review.html

Sushigod7

I can't sleep I'm still thinking about the unboxing of the Wizard Edition. I'm going into Ghibli overload this weekend and going through watching all the films again. Next week cannot get here soon enough I'm going with one day shipping and the guide from Amazon will be here Tuesday. Hope DR gets these things shipped on time.

Zia

Just read the effusive Eurogamer review. Hopefully it lives up to the praise.

Oli is really passionate about what speaks to him. Manages to dig into some meat, though, and what I read sounds nice.

Still don't know if I'm onboard. Can't see being able to afford this and Metal Gear Rising. ; (

Oli is really passionate about what speaks to him. Manages to dig into some meat, though, and what I read sounds nice.

Still don't know if I'm onboard. Can't see being able to afford this and Metal Gear Rising. ; (

That sucks. Maybe you could sell some plasma. ;)

Top Bottom