• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Mikey Jr.

I believe this is a bit buggy, maybe just a hud bug because i set Esther to provide backup/attack same target once and then i saw the thing reset on the next fight but she was providing backup, so i didn't mess with that anymore, then after hours i went to check the AI settings and provide backup/attack same target was there again checked, so i believe it works but the hud is messed up :s

Too sleepy played like 20 hours straight all i see is Mite poking things so if i made lil sense excuse me lol D: (going to sleep!)

Shit, i still have no idea what backup/do what you want/all out does.

The sequel would probably take a while and come out on next-gen consoles, so I think that the AI could improve a lot.

The hardware isnt holding back ally ai. Its the lack of options. Look at final fantasy 12 gambit system. The system was so indepth that you could literrally not touch the controller and the ai would beat 90% of the battles.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The second trial of wit is giving me trouble and making me feel like I'm not fit to be a wizard. :(

SupaNaab

Should I only feed my familiars their favourite foods? I fed Mite almost entirely Accuracy items because his Accuracy was one of his 3 primary stats without equipment and based on my experience with Hit Rating in World of Warcraft and other RPGs :\ Am I optimizing my familiar?

EDIT: Does accuracy affect Magic?

seady

All Level 5 games rest on :

1. one particular good idea and then repeat it 1000x times.
2. super awesome presentation.

All their games from RPGs (Dark Cloud, White Knight, Ni No Kuni) to non-RPGs (Professor Layton) are like this. The end result is a very beautiful game that starts out beautifully and then grind repeatedly.

Should I only feed my familiars their favourite foods? I fed Mite almost entirely Accuracy items because his Accuracy was one of his 3 primary stats without equipment and based on my experience with Hit Rating in World of Warcraft and other RPGs :\ Am I optimizing my familiar?

EDIT: Does accuracy affect Magic?

You want to mix in a good amount of the favorite food, otherwise you won't gain a level of familiarity before you reach the growth cap, which is a painful experience, as I found out the hard way.

Acrylic7

They should have delved deeper into the tactics. Esther is burning through every drop of her MP. and Swains steroid guy sucks so bad. Think I'm going to give him a Cat face Pirate thing, and a Bone Head.

When has everyone Morphed their team? Im around lv26 and the only one that I morphed (forced to) is Mitey. should I morph them?
I did some research and to my understanding its better if you wait until they are at a very high level, then morph them.

jwk94

Ok, one of my friends told me not to attempt the trials until lvl 20....from what I've seen on here, it seems like the trials are just little challenges that don't require any combat? Am I wrong? Or should I wait until i'm a higher level? Currently lvl 18 by the way.

Ok, one of my friends told me not to attempt the trials until lvl 20....from what I've seen on here, it seems like the trials are just little challenges that don't require any combat? Am I wrong? Or should I wait until i'm a higher level? Currently lvl 18 by the way.

There's a really easy boss at the end, that's about it.

soup or man

Neo Member
I'm playing it now and it really is a fantastic game. It's really charming. Everything about it is extremely pleasant. There are a lot of things to collect and side-quests to do, but none of 'em ever feel like chores to me. And that's unusual, because normally I tire of such things rather quickly. The music is good, too. I can already tell the world map theme will go down as one of those tracks I listen to over and over throughout the years. Needless to say, too, the game is stunningly beautiful. I'm anxious to get to every new area just because I know there's gonna be some really good, new eye candy.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Downloading it now! Man... I'm having a weird day, this sort of thing usually isn't my bag... But it seems so awesome haha
I'm not really that into JRPG's and this is wonderful. It's so charming, has Pokemon-esque collecting which always drags me in. Amazing animation and music, too. The Mite is adorable!

madhtr

When growth gets to say 10/10 does that mean it will evolve or it just won't get anymore boost from food?

You can't boost with food after that. You need to feed familiars their favorite foods to increase their familiarity. Doing so increases that limit by 10. For Mitey, I have 30 now, with 3 hearts, for example.

Does it mention who takes care of oliver . Surely he can't live alone

Not sure if it ever says it outright, but it made me think his friend's mom was taking care of him now.

Nakayumi

Have been listening to the soundtrack since yesterday to make the waiting a bit easier (living in Europe where the game hasn't been released yet). It is truly a phenomenal soundtrack, I'm kinda disappointed to hear that the European Wizard's Edition doesn't include it, but I might order it if it ever releases separately. Also interested in the DS version now, why didn't that one make it over to the West anyway?

Esura

Banned
Bonehead and thumbelemur are great for him. A little later on, a tin man is not a bad way to round him out. Covers his affinities pretty well.

What would be a good third familiar for Oliver? So far all I use for him is Mighty Mite and Bighorn.

Akainu

I'm trying to answer the questions about the lion king story. How does the game except me to type it out? Is it exact words/case?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm trying to answer the questions about the lion king story. How does the game except me to type it out? Is it exact words?

try Dragon of the East or if that doesn't work, Dragon of the West

Maaseru

Banned
Game is awesome, about 22 hours from the game clock, but I guess about 7 or a bit more came from leaving it on doing nothing. I just finished the volcano and I'm really into it!

I think this is one of the top 5 JRPGs from this gen. Loving the battle system.

Also for reference I'm level 22 with Oli right now, what are the expected/your levels for the game at this point?

PS: Anyone else love the Trial of Friendship? I loved that even though I failed a lot. Tried to do it both hands at once for a while haha it really was fun.

DatDude

Banned
What's the general opinion so far in this about Ni No Kuni?

Lived up to the expectations? Exceeded expectations? A tad below expectations?

Esura

Banned
I mean I shouldn't have to search for one. I'd be like having to find a space solely for deleting things.

True. I wonder why they didn't map space to one of the other buttons.

Should I be feeding my monsters? I already evolved a couple and now I think I made a mistake.

I evolved mines after they learned all of the tricks they could in one form. I'm not trying to min/max this game so I didn't feel like sticking it out with one form for a long time. Will probably bite me in the ass later though but I've been dealing with bosses ok so far (trying to get a ship). My Esther dies and I just deal with the bosses with Oliver and his Pokemons.

Mikey Jr.

The world, the graphics, the presentation, the sense of adventure, is all above expectations. The only thing for me that is below expectations is the combat. A lot of common sense things that should be in there, but aren't.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member

For me personally it's a fair bit below my expectations and they weren't terribly high to begin with. I don't think the game is bad mind you it's just really rough around the edges when it comes to certian aspects.

General opinion right now is overwhelmingly positive, though I'm interested to see more impressions from people who are past the "the game is gorgeous and reminds me of classic JRPGs" phase and into the nitty gritty.

I'm in the final dungeon, personally, and think it's good overall, but average in gameplay and mechanics. In particular, I feel like the familiar system could have been a lot better than it ended up being. When I get to the end of an RPG, I want to feel like the effort I put into the character building system has paid off, and I simply don't with the familiar system. The AI for party members is extremely bad, but I was consistently over leveled due to my habit of clearing all side quests before progressing, so it didn't affect my progress. The combat is deep enough to get fairly advanced, but the interface is clumsy enough that you're in trouble if you have to.

The story is fine, but the ending feels tacked on, probably because it was. On the bright side, it's the sort of thing some publishers (Capcom) would make DLC, so we can at least be glad that it's on the disc. There isn't nearly enough voice acting in the game after the first two hours, to the point where the little voice acting that is there is extremely awkward. This may seem nitpicky, but it's really noticeable.

Ni no Kuni is a fine game and well worth the time, but don't expect to be blown away by anything besides its visuals and charm.

Just got the game and its amazing so far! The music is great and the graphics are refreshingly colorful. Battles are quick. Story is definitely ghibli fare. I love this game!!! In DDD has anyone encountered frozen birds? They make for quite a bit of hilarity!

For what it's worth, none of the ones you get to choose at that point are particularly worthwhile.

And yeah, allies are either going to use no MP or all of their MP with no real in-between. Fortunately, blue glims drop fairly often if you've got the merit badge upgrade, and the AI is at least generally smart about going for them.

Which one would you suggest choicing?

Saw some talk about the partners and using/wasting mp. I do think its a bit difficult to find a good setting for the ai. Ester seems to die and I need to go at it alone. Honestly it has seemed easier without her the couple times she has died.

Andrew.

Banned
Level 14 and just reached the desert. Does the first metamorph happen as part of the story and then explained to you or is it something that I should be focusing on now? This is the only thing thats a bit confusing for me.

Level 14 and just reached the desert. Does the first metamorph happen as part of the story and then explained to you or is it something that I should be focusing on now? This is the only thing thats a bit confusing for me.
I think you get the your first metamorphosis item after the trials

OwlyKnees

General opinion right now is overwhelmingly positive, though I'm interested to see more impressions from people who are past the "the game is gorgeous and reminds me of classic JRPGs" phase and into the nitty gritty.

I'm in the final dungeon, personally, and think it's good overall, but average in gameplay and mechanics. In particular, I feel like the familiar system could have been a lot better than it ended up being. When I get to the end of an RPG, I want to feel like the effort I put into the character building system has paid off, and I simply don't with the familiar system. The AI for party members is extremely bad, but I was consistently over leveled due to my habit of clearing all side quests before progressing, so it didn't affect my progress. The combat is deep enough to get fairly advanced, but the interface is clumsy enough that you're in trouble if you have to.

The story is fine, but the ending feels tacked on, probably because it was. On the bright side, it's the sort of thing some publishers (Capcom) would make DLC, so we can at least be glad that it's on the disc. There isn't nearly enough voice acting in the game after the first two hours, to the point where the little voice acting that is there is extremely awkward. This may seem nitpicky, but it's really noticeable.

Ni no Kuni is a fine game and well worth the time, but don't expect to be blown away by anything besides its visuals and charm.

Thanks for the impressions. Your overall outlook matches my expectations going in, so I think I can hold out for the game to lower in price a little (which should take, oh, four days in the UK?)

BNB82

Neo Member
10 hours in and it is still fantastic. It gives me the feeling that a lot of the JRPG's from the 90's gave. I can seen influences from Secret of Mana, for instance, as well as others. It is literally like playing a Ghibli movie, which I think is one of the best compliments you can give to this form of art.

Ricker

The story is a little simple so far but I thought the whole girl in the window thing was actually well done
in introducing Myrtle,Esther to your party,it was charming and had a first instance when I went oh shit,even though Drippy kinda warned me before going in the garage...bareley beat his father as well,it was close
...I can see the give and take courage,enthusiasm etc etc getting a little worn out at some point but so far,it's ok...

I whish I could of picked the actual physical book though...anyone did the Horace questions where he tells you to read the first page on the fairy tale...did I miss turning the pages that actually still is the first page because after reading what I thouht I had to read,I had no clue about the questions he asked,so I skipped it for now...

Time for another marathon today! :p I found the ranked fights, and barely passed rank E. Yeah, I'm waiting to do this these. lol

Yeah, they're scaled really high. I'm level 50 (with level 40 familiars) and could only get half way through rank A. I was watching familiars with 200-250 attack swing for 1 damage per hit.

Top Bottom