• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Niche games that you love, but know are kind of trash?

I'd like to believe we all have at least one game we love that's niche as hell and kind of trash. It can be a retro game from your childhood, or even a recent game. For me, I have a few diamonds from childhood:

-Gungrave: Saw an ad for this back in 2002 for the PS2. Played it and loved it. Story/characters were designed by Yasuhiro Nightow, which got me into Trigun.

-Saints Row 2: Janky as hell and runs like shit on every platform, especially PC. While the series isn't as niche anymore, at the time, it was seen as just another GTA clone. Still, this is the best Saints Row imo.

-Deadly Premonition: Kind of cheating with this one, but yeah.

What are your picks?

Last edited:

nowhat

Cat Quest 1 & 2 (haven't tried 3 yet). Now, I don't think they're trash. I actually think they're awesome. But just going by the title, I would have assumed them to be top tier shit. Someone here recommended them (can't recall who, but TY whoever you were), and I'm glad they did.

havoc00

Gotham city imposters
splatterhouse 2010
Hunter: The Reckoning
Manhunt 2
50 cent blood on the sand
Those Burger King games

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Cat Quest 1 & 2 (haven't tried 3 yet). Now, I don't think they're trash. I actually think they're awesome. But just going by the title, I would have assumed them to be top tier shit. Someone here recommended them (can't recall who, but TY whoever you were), and I'm glad they did.

I dont know if I was the one that recommended but I put the Cat Quests there as well. Super fun junkfood shut off your mind games.

And CQ3 is fuckin great. Best in the series.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
There's a special place in my heart for c-tier 3D PS1 platformers.

40 Winks, Muppet Monster Adventure, Disney's Atlantis and A Bug's Life, Gex, Croc etc. Wouldn't say any are trash but they're not exactly Mario.

nowhat

I dont know if I was the one that recommended but I put the Cat Quests there as well. Super fun junkfood shut off your mind games.
It's so refreshing to have something that's just pure... game. I'm not against narrative-heavy games, I quite enjoy them (on occasion). But they take a ton of resources, both in time and money, and the more closer you get to a realistic/movie-like presentation, the more you can fuck it up.

And it's not like Cat Quests don't have a narrative. Take the first game. There's the "opening cutscene". Main baddie steals my sister. I must save my sister. That's enough narrative, characterization and motivation for me, let's go!

kevboard

Deadly Premonition
Lollipop Chainsaw
Crackdown 3
Driver 3
Altered Beast

those are the ones that come to mind. it's hard to think of games that are both niche and kinda bad that I also like tbh.
only trash but not niche, or only niche and not trash, that would be easier lol

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
It's so refreshing to have something that's just pure... game. I'm not against narrative-heavy games, I quite enjoy them (on occasion). But they take a ton of resources, both in time and money, and the more closer you get to a realistic/movie-like presentation, the more you can fuck it up.

And it's not like Cat Quests don't have a narrative. Take the first game. There's the "opening cutscene". Main baddie steals my sister. I must save my sister. That's enough narrative, characterization and motivation for me, let's go!

You'll love the new one most likely. I posted a few screens in the trophy thread after I got the platinum.

This year has been pretty weak game-wise for me personally, and CQ3 has been one of the few highlights.

nowhat

You'll love the new one most likely. I posted a few screens in the trophy thread after I got the platinum.

This year has been pretty weak game-wise for me personally, and CQ3 has been one of the few highlights.
I've been slacking so much off work that I actually need to get some done this week, then there's Astro Bot, and then The Plucky Squire. But after that CQ3 is definitely on my list.

Last edited:
Knife_Edge_-_Nose_Gunner.jpg

wipeout364

Atari recharged games or anything Atari related: I know I only play them because I grew up in the 2600 era and owned all the originals. I don't think they are trash but they are probably not worth their price and I always get them on release day.

Guilty_AI

Fuel was good. it wasn't a hit but a perfectly competent offroad racer imo.
sure, it wasn't nearly as good as Pure, but far from trash imo.
Game had horrible driving physics and the map was vast but generally boring. The whole thing with the weather effects was also much more limited than what they advertised. I couldn't call it good or even just competent in good faith. What they did get right however was the atmosphere.

Bond007

They arent trash to me anyway. lol

Skull and Bones most recently- yea. lol
Automodelista
King Kong Xbox360
Tomb Raider Legend
Mortal Kombat 64
Shaq-Fu
Star Wars Episode 1 Phantom Menace
Episode 1 Pod Racers?
Road Rash 3D
2Xtreme
Moonwalker

Alot of what i liked as a kid probably came down to cool covers or IPs. lol

Last edited:

Natsuko

What, Cat Quest Trash? Niche maybe, but trash?

3 is great. Much shorter, but I think that's okay. I played 2 to platinum and 1000 gamerscore. It felt quite grindy the second time around. 3 is less bloated but not less good. Some people don't like that. I can live with it. I bought it at launch and haven't regretted it. Just got the last achievement last night.

@ Topic: Do the Dead or Alive Xtreme games count?

Anyone of you try to drop either Gravity Rush or NieR here and I'll do my best to get you perma banned from GAF.
I would put them here, but I don't like them and they are not that niche.
Deadly Premonition
Lollipop Chainsaw
Crackdown 3
Driver 3
Altered Beast

those are the ones that come to mind. it's hard to think of games that are both niche and kinda bad that I also like tbh.
only trash but not niche, or only niche and not trash, that would be easier lol
Driv3r is my first choice as well. I love the sound of the game, car reflections, skybox, street lights, and pulp direction to its cinematics. Driving is weighty and I could listen to the main menu theme all day. I really want the definitive Xbox version on Series S or PC.

Another game I have been told fits the bill is Hope Lake, but I find it to be one of the best experiences in the adventure/hidden-object genre despite uneven presentation. Banger soundtrack as well.

Last edited:
Metal Wolf Chaos (absolute cinema)
Bullet Witch (it's more than just kind of trash)
Deadly Premonition
Onechanbara Origins and Onechanbara Z2 Chaos
Tenchu Z
Lollipop Chainsaw and Killer is Dead
Bloodrayne 1 and 2
XIII

Deadly Premonition is always my answer to this . . . . but you took it. I'll raise you Deadly Premonition 2. Also Eternights.

I tried Deadly Premonition once, set it down after an hour, and never touched it again. Even as a big Twin Peaks fan I just don't think I can do 17-20 more hours of that.

NeptuneCL

I really love Too Human, jajaja. Actually, I was sad when Silicon Knights revealed there will be no sequel. It was a shame.

SHA

Dragon Ball from Atari on PS2, I don't remember which one, it's trash but a special kind of trash, not ordinary trash, I just liked it cause 1- I'm dragon ball fanboy 2- it's different than other known dragon ball games.

Chess
Original Duke Nukem
Too Human.

Zacfoldor

Destiny 2. Diablo 4.

....jk...

Anyway....I hesitate to call my games trash because I love them but maybe I did or didn't play Phantom Dust until my eyes bled and for weeks after when it came out.

I hear Deadly Premonition and I come running. It's so trash to the point it's good. A lot of things are done on purpose though. However, I like the writing of the games very much. It's my guilty pleasure.

CashPrizes

Does Vampire Survivors count?
I generally enjoy only good games. Like the trashiest games I have nostalgia for are Vigilante 8, Eternal Champions, and..... ummmm..... how about SkyBlazer on SNES? Not a great game but I think it is still fun and has attractive graphics.

For the person asking, Dynasty Warriors definitely counts. Those games are trash!

Last edited:

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
Kill it With Fire. A spider killing game. No time limits, no pressure, just walk around and squash spiders. It's on Gamepass, love it.

Supraland 1, was also on Gamepass. A challenging 3d puzzle/action game. Gave me old school "I have no fucking idea what to do now" vibes while having a cheerful whimsy to it. Just lovely

Magna Carta on PS2, and Magna Carta 2 on Xbox 360 didn't review well, but I liked them both.
I finished Magna Carta 2 too back than. The combat was a little irritating and the story ends up being kinda like Final Fantasy X.

There are many. I'll add 3:

Judge Dredd Genesis/SNES - maybe it's the music/sounds; sci-fi setting i don't know
Bujingai PS2 - Gackt is both trash and cool as hell
Last Remnant X360/PS4 - i like the combat; music; art direction; Mr. Diggs digging :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Castlevania 64 is probably a good example of one for me. I played through that game many times ba k in the day.

Top Bottom