• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nidhogg |OT| GET THAT DICK (Steam, PC)

Another thing that pisses me off is that the How to Play is essentially broken, seemingly unless you use a mouse to click on the configure controls button at the bottom right of the screen.

You can mess around a bit until you run to the right and the game kicks you back to the main menu.

I mean, the game is sick, but c'mon, son. That could've been done a little better. Hopefully the first patch addresses these issues. It's not a good look when I'm trying to sell the game to someone and it's just broken the first time they play.

Another thing that pisses me off is that the How to Play is essentially broken, seemingly unless you use a mouse to click on the configure controls button at the bottom right of the screen.

You can mess around a bit until you run to the right and the game kicks you back to the main menu.

I mean, the game is sick, but c'mon, son. That could've been done a little better. Hopefully the first patch addresses these issues. It's not a good look when I'm trying to sell the game to someone and it's just broken the first time they play.

A patch went out today that mentioned fixing the How To Play tutorial. I haven't tried it myself yet, but that may have fixed your issue.

Probably. Now if only the netplay menus could be controlled by a gamepad...

As it stands right now, it's practically impossible for me to play this game online on my TV.

Zissou

tap down while running. Hold down to roll.

Has anyone found a tactical use for it though? Seems neat, but mostly just showy.

My girlfriend and I were testing the different movement options. Cartwheeling is definitely faster than running. Roll is slower than running but you can use it to duck a thrown sword w/o losing momentum or get in on someone holding their sword high to catch them by surprise and punch them in the genitals if you're playing full on YOLO. Continuous low altitude dive-kicking is also faster than straight up running but we couldn't determine with certainty whether it was faster than cartwheeling.

edit: weird grammar error fixed

My girlfriend and I end were testing the different movement options. Cartwheeling is definitely faster than running. Roll is slower than running but you can use it to duck a thrown sword w/o losing momentum or get in on someone holding their sword high to catch them by surprise and punch them in the genitals if you're playing full on YOLO. Continuous low altitude dive-kicking is also faster than straight up running but we couldn't determine with certainty whether it was faster than cartwheeling.

I'm wondering, does it dodge a low sword? I need to experiment with that.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Throwing your sword is a quarter circle + attack in the direction you want to throw it, right?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, ok that makes more sense. We were trying to figure out what exactly it was last night.

Codeblue

Mapped my d-pad, but it'll read right and down instead of just right and weird stuff like that. Wonder if I would be better off trying Xpadder or something.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
My dpad seems ok, using a ds4. Messed around with matchmaking a little and it is pretty lag filled as reported. But I had no trouble finding a match.

Is there a way to change the default player colors. The orange and yellow are too similar and playing online you switch back and forth and I've definitely caught myself thinking I'm my opponents avatar for a split second. I also can't wait to play this in slow motion.

Lol this game. I get the same joy and overall feeling I get from playing Chivalry. I get super in to the mind game and can't help but laugh every time I die. Loving it.

braves01

Banned
I really hope this goes on sale sometime this spring. I really want to gift it to a couple fencers I know, but it's just a little too expensive.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I just got into a pretty good online match. The latency was definitely there, but it was mostly that I found a player who was wanting to have fun as well and we played probably 5 matches. This game is really something else. I've never really played fighting games before so it feels extra fresh.

All in all I'm super glad this game has online functionality. Its not perfect but I didn't even know it was there until yesterday.

Finally got a couple of low lag back and forths with a dude. Feels good man! The slight lag compensation messes with my game some, as some moves just don't work with the lag compensation (Fast advance is nearly impossible).

Still the tension is so great. We had a 10 minute back and forth that I lost, then I took a nice win. He pushed me back to the end of the pit room in the castle, and I fought back. After we traded at the pits for a while, I finally got clear, and caught him making a mistake as he jumped from the ledge into my flying sword. From there I ran the rest of the castle with only my trusty dive kick, and roll sweep.

<3 this game.

Grakl

Got my arcade stick working with this. So good. My boyfriend started getting pissed since I got better when I switched from keyboard lol.

ampere

This game looks so odd, but after watching some of the quicklook I want it. Will probably buy this week and then I'll be down to play with you guys

Zia

Is the "20 minute match" achievement not popping for anyone else? I've now had 3-4 matches that went over 20 minutes but no achievement.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just had another really really fun set of matches. The online is actually not as bad as it seems at first. This game is too awesome someone should call the police. I did such a great wall jump fake out dive kick move in the castle level. It was the room with all the doors and I burst out but immediately jumped backwards up on the wall and then from there divekicked down and smashed my opponent in the face. He had no idea what hit him. He was expecting me to just lunge attack out the door but I ricocheted around on top of him. So awesome.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Had a great lag-free round of matches with a friend of mine. Had some weird things going on at first but they ironed out when we both restarted the game.

It's hilarious reading about people complaining about the graphics, though. I think they're perfect, and in line with the rest of his games anyway.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just had another great game. The online community is seriously pleasant so far. I've been finding for a good MP game and never would have guessed I'd get so into this. I want to read about it, are there any good articles about the games development? I know its been floating around the scene forever but now its actually a real game.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I want to read about it, are there any good articles about the games development? I know its been floating around the scene forever but now its actually a real game.

gamasutra did an article about that: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/208471/Nidhogg_unleashed_on_the_masses__but_what_took_so_long.php

this is an interview that might be of interest to you, more specifically about Nidhogg from 2011.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJn2FXwTNVo

here's a pretty good interview with him, although the way they cut it is kind of awful. its more of a general interview about the games he makes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G32zCqMHM_s

Cohsae

So where can I see some vids of some awesome competitive play? I'm assuming there's a professional Nidhogg league because holy crap this game

Saty

I will only get this game if it adds a no-jumping game mode so it could be played as a straight-up face-to-face fencing matches.

Skerj

I will only get this game if it adds a no-jumping game mode so it could be played as a straight-up face-to-face fencing matches.

As much as I love jump kicking people and baiting them, I must admit the straight up fencing parts are actually pretty tense. That's why I love the mines, that hallway in the second area = no jumping and no sword throwing. We went back and forth in that one room for like 10 minutes straight last night. Really wish more people had this, I at most see like 5 people online in matchmaking but when I do find a match it's golden 90% of the time.

docbon

Played 20 or so matches with a buddy today.

Desync is a very real issue, unfortunately. I've learned not to hold onto ledges when I'm not host, since the game pretty much locks you into place until your opponent sweeping kicks you to your doom. This is in addition to the rubber banding and kill fakeouts that frequently occur.

But despite the net code issues, I feel the core of the game offers a satisfying amount of depth with its simple control scheme, and plenty of fun in the moment to moment gameplay. I agree that fencing in the tunnels feels particularly intense, and I don't think the neck snapping will ever get old. I just really hope the issues are sorted out in a reasonable amount of time. Mod tools down the line would also be a godsend.

Unrelated question: Is there a way to toggle variants when you're playing an online match?

duckroll

I think disabling divekick is good enough. There can't be a no-jumping mode because the actual stages generally require jumping at some points, usually towards the end.

Saty

Possibly. Although if the motivation is to have proper fencing bouts then i think it's best that such mode's objective will be only 'first to X kills\most kills under a time limit'. Another option is to have that game mode only to take place in a single screen.

Wow. Getting the Perfect Stride achievement with a 20-second run through the Mines was one of the most satisfying things I've ever done in a game. In those scant few seconds, I was legendary. An insurmountable force of grace, efficiency, and brain-gouging brutality.

On the other hand, that fucking Clouds map can be infuriating. The swords should at least darken some as the sky becomes white to provide even a slight amount of contrast. Oddly, I don't take as much issue with the sword-obscuring grass in the Wilds, though it would be nice to see--if only briefly--some hint of your character/sword between the blades. Perhaps if the grass swayed in the wind so as to reveal momentary slivers of the action, that would be enough.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still really loving this. Just played for a half hour and the time just flew by. That half an hour of nidhogg felt like 2 minutes of Dark Souls. I've started using the sweeping kick when I roll. If you time it just right you not only roll by enemies but you kick their feet out as well. I wonder how many moves there are, I want to see a move list.

^most of the cloud level is dark, its just that one room that blinds out the swords. I think its kind of neat. You can still duck because the opponents throwing animation is visible. I can see how its frustrating, definitely.

I think disabling divekick is good enough. There can't be a no-jumping mode because the actual stages generally require jumping at some points, usually towards the end.

Do people really find the divekick annoying? Just hold your sword high if you're facing a jumpy opponent, they'll just jump into it.

Top Bottom