• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nidhogg |OT| GET THAT DICK (Steam, PC)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm using scpserver and a dualshock4 and it is superb. It seems like the gamepad/peripheral support is vast.

Clawww

Wow. Getting the Perfect Stride achievement with a 20-second run through the Mines was one of the most satisfying things I've ever done in a game. In those scant few seconds, I was legendary. An insurmountable force of grace, efficiency, and brain-gouging brutality.

On the other hand, that fucking Clouds map can be infuriating. The swords should at least darken some as the sky becomes white to provide even a slight amount of contrast. Oddly, I don't take as much issue with the sword-obscuring grass in the Wilds, though it would be nice to see--if only briefly--some hint of your character/sword between the blades. Perhaps if the grass swayed in the wind so as to reveal momentary slivers of the action, that would be enough.

nah I love crouching in the grass and being completely hidden, it's hilarious

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Nidhogg seems like a game that would exist in the Superjail universe.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone want to play? I'm online right now looking for a game.

I'm very impressed with Nidhogg. Yes, I've only played single player (so far)

The simplicity of the controls hide a surprising tense and strategic game. Like Samurai Gunn, one hit kills and I'm enjoying the depth of moves and manuevers you can perform. While you may be more agile in Samurai Gunn, the one on one combat and the slower paced fights really give the game a sense of tension and skill that Samurai Gunn lacks. Also the wide range of animations make each fight seem very dynamic. I also like the give-take atmosphere of the combat as you attempt to move from room to room as your opponent does the same. The weird pixel art style gives the game a style all its own while the effects and spraying blood adds a nice visceral feeling to every attack

If anyone wants to kick my ass online: http://steamcommunity.com/id/More_Badass (US East)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, I guess nVidia shadowplay doesn't work with this. I wanted to save an epic match I just had.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Like some said earlier there's still a problem with dpad support. I tried it with a stick and 360 controller. In the control options menu it works fine. The problem is within the real game modes there are already wonky controls mapped to the dpad. Left and right are up/down and some other weird stuff. Try it out with the default controls. When you map movement to the dpad in place of the analog stick the game will try to do both commands at once or possibly the wonky controls have priority. It's possible to play like this but you can't do certain moves like edging forward and your sword will go up and down on it's own.

I still find properly placed jump kicks say "fuck you!" to the sword, regardless of its positioning.
Yup. Aim for the head. Thank you Divekick for the training!
The AI manages to throw its sword at me occasionally when I try this.

Press left and right at the same time to do a cool pose and slide. I learned this from an online opponent today.

Press F1 to see a readout of the game engines actions.

Luckily, I haven't had any issues using the analog stick with my DS4. I still can't seem to do cartwheels when I want to, though. You guys say to just tap down when running, but I always get a roll instead.

Clawww

I think it has to be a 'clean' down input, like you have to go to neutral first.

I still don't get them sometimes either though so I'm not 100% sure

shtkn

you don't need to go back to neutral to cartwheel. you just need to make sure you tap down quickly, then go back to running.

so →↘→ in one motion, like performing a special attack in a fighting game

Like some said earlier there's still a problem with dpad support. I tried it with a stick and 360 controller. In the control options menu it works fine. The problem is within the real game modes there are already wonky controls mapped to the dpad. Left and right are up/down and some other weird stuff. Try it out with the default controls. When you map movement to the dpad in place of the analog stick the game will try to do both commands at once or possibly the wonky controls have priority. It's possible to play like this but you can't do certain moves like edging forward and your sword will go up and down on it's own.

Yep, I observed this as well. I'd definitely like this to get fixed as it's gonna push me back to analog sticks for now. On the other hand I was able to beat the entire single player mode with this happening, lol.

superbank

Yep, I observed this as well. I'd definitely like this to get fixed as it's gonna push me back to analog sticks for now. On the other hand I was able to beat the entire single player mode with this happening, lol.
Nice. I've been using analog too. It works well. Some things are more difficult to do like rapidly changing sword height. Dpad will probably be my preferred control method once it's fixed.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I switched back to analogue because the Dpad was hurting my thumb. Just had another great set of matches. Its so much fun when you find someone in matchmaking and just get in the zone. This is the most fun I've had playing multiplayer in a long looong time. This is the most awesome game ever. I love it.

Clawww

man every time I play a sick set I just can't get over how many options there are. the mindgames were going beyond next level, the tactics, the counters. it's so fucking good.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It really is pretty mindblowing watching all the acrobatics unfold as you can just barely keep a vision of intent. Unfortunately most of my online matches consist mostly of slice and sprint. I think its probably a latency thing maybe but I rarely find myself actually fencing up and close and personal. Its a lot of jumping fake-outs and sword throwing.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i've always sucked at 2D fighters, so its nice to be able to actually play something where i'm not super terrible at it

Clawww

It really is pretty mindblowing watching all the acrobatics unfold as you can just barely keep a vision of intent. Unfortunately most of my online matches consist mostly of slice and sprint. I think its probably a latency thing maybe but I rarely find myself actually fencing up and close and personal. Its a lot of jumping fake-outs and sword throwing.

strictly fencing is definitely rare, but it also doesn't make sense to just disregard other options and swordfight. it's nice when it happens, but it's too risky to try and simply fence outside of certain situations.

I've tried to do more strict fencing, while still keeping other options in my mind recently. It's pretty fun trying to fake out the opponent when you get the hang of parrying their swords away.

ultron87

Is there anything an unarmed person can do in a tunnel against someone that is just holding their sword at the lowest stance? Obviously there doesn't have to be something, since you just shouldn't lose your sword in a tunnel.

Clawww

Is there anything an unarmed person can do in a tunnel against someone that is just holding their sword at the lowest stance? Obviously there doesn't have to be something, since you just shouldn't lose your sword in a tunnel.

I'm pretty sure hopping out of a roll/crouch allows you to jump over low stance

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

Basically no. You can hope to roll and trip them if they do something stupid.

But that area in the mines isn't the final screen so its not a deciding factor really

Like Clawww said, jumping out of a crouching position will work, but you must remain crouched after jumping and hope to quickly sweep the legs out from under your opponent. It's very difficult in these conditions, but possible.

My buddy came into town last night unexpectedly and popped in--he's not huge on games, but I showed him Nidhogg and let him play through the tutorial. We then had almost 2 hours of hilarious dueling--laughter and yells every few seconds. I've found my new local MP go-to, for sure. Even non-gamers can find the fun in it.

Edge lovin'

Street Fighter II, Super Smash Bros, GoldenEye 007: some games are written into history indelibly for their competitive multiplayer. To play them is to have battle upon battle seared onto your mind, branded there by the white-hot thrill of matching wits and reflexes against your peers. Prepare to add Nidhogg to the list.

superbank

At first I was just playing to win. This meant constant divekicks at or past opponents for a quick finish. I figure this probably isn't fun for people so now I made a new rule for myself: Every time they spawn in front of me I have to kill them before moving on, as well as minimizing divekick use. I have to minimize their divekicks as well so I try to force sword fights with environmental choke points. I'm losing more but having more fun. I do throw swords but there's nothing wrong with that. ;) It totally reminds me of those stickfigure fighting flash cartoons.

The netcode really needs to be fixed though. Playing like this creates long sets and unfortunately the game is almost guaranteed to break down over longs sets online.

Codeblue

I'm not sure if this has been posted in this thread yet. I haven't seen it.
http://venuspatrol.com/2014/01/beast-emerges-qa-nidhogg-creator-messhof/

I also haven't read it yet.

At one point, the moveset was kind of exploding — I was adding things like the crane kick from Karate Kid and Yoshi’s “ground pound”. They were fun to pull off, but it was just too much to think about as a player, especially with the limited number of buttons. Some of that stuff might make sense later as another character — we want to keep adding stuff as updates after release.

Excellent news.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
༼ ༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ༽

Some punk just quit right before I was about to get eaten by the Nidhogg. We had an epic back and forth and then I ran basically all the way across the map and poof back to the matchmaking screen.

Wunder

Doesn't seem to be many players online in London :( Have only seen like 1-3 people online at any one time. I played it with some friends yesterday though and it was a total blast, local MP is definitely the way to play this game. They picked it up almost instantaneously and after the first couple games they totally understood most of the mechanics.

Really in love with this game but I just need more people to play with!

Alric

Doesn't seem to be many players online in London :( Have only seen like 1-3 people online at any one time. I played it with some friends yesterday though and it was a total blast, local MP is definitely the way to play this game. They picked it up almost instantaneously and after the first couple games they totally understood most of the mechanics.

Really in love with this game but I just need more people to play with!

Reading your post and learning it has local multiplyer made sure I have to go home and buy this game tonight.

Zia

༼ ༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ༽

Some punk just quit right before I was about to get eaten by the Nidhogg. We had an epic back and forth and then I ran basically all the way across the map and poof back to the matchmaking screen.

What a miserable douche. More so than most any online game I've played Nidhogg does a very good job of conveying a sense of shared experience that you get from a great local MP game. Luckily, all of the people I've had great matches with seem to be good sports, with lots of "gg" and even a couple friend requests.

Almost to 100 wins!

Clawww

What a miserable douche. More so than most any online game I've played Nidhogg does a very good job of conveying a sense of shared experience that you get from a great local MP game. Luckily, all of the people I've had great matches with seem to be good sports, with lots of "gg" and even a couple friend requests.

Almost to 100 wins!

Yup, 90% of my games have been full of props, GGs and LOL's

even if you get wrecked rematching is practically instant so it's like, whatever, get right back into it

I wonder how the general public will react to a second character getting added to Nidhogg. Probably the same reaction when more characters were added to Divekick, I'm guessing.

Top Bottom