• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

chrono01

for reference

C8_ixC2VYAEjfmc.jpg

i thought it was like, a story thing v_v
LOL!

I love how crazy things like this are assumed that they're intentional, since Yoko Taro is behind it all. Just amazing.

Sorry to see you got infected with the bug, hopefully they release a fix soon. :(

LOL!

I love how crazy things like this are assumed that they're intentional, since Yoko Taro is behind it all. Just amazing.

Sorry to see you got infected with the bug, hopefully they release a fix soon. :(

What do you mean that's not intention̞͚͖̹̹͓̣̋͐̿̊͊͑͠a̺̜̯̘̲̖̋̑̀̍̀͂l̺̤̻̦͎̘̭?͚̪̠̻͈̀͋͊̽͊͘ ͩ̆͒̓̾̚ ̜̙͇̥̊̽͊̽͂ͩͤT͓̱̗̪̦̤ͥ͛̏ͥ̿̅ẖ͉ͤ͘a͔ͯț̷̞̭̟͆̔ͣ̒̇ͪ'̣̠̦̝̦̥̄̊͐ͅş̹͚̙͈̜̹̪ͭ̽̎̓͒̾ͪ ̝͖̣̹̪ͅt̷̰̥̹̖̼̫͆ͯ̽ͮŏ͚̦ͤ̓͑͢t̲͎̟̯͚ͤ̌̈́̎̿̊͘a͋͐ͩ̓l̶̀͋͊͂̒̒l̷͎̠̾y̛̅ͥ̾̔̍̃̽ ̼ͥ̓ȑ̫̮e̮̟͔͍̖̗͋ͩ́a̼̙͒ͪ͑̇ͪ͑͞ḏ̲̑͂̉̉̚̕a͚b̗͑̄̏̐l̶̬͈̲̹͌ͮͮe̳ͤ̌͒͑ͫ ̤̩͈͖̝̪̙E̙̖͍͕ͧn̞̤͓͎̓ͥ͂ͭͤ̚͘g͠l̹̘͓̻̫̺͆ͤ̆i̼͗̾̽ͫ͆̚s͚̲ͩͯͬͮͤͯ̽h̯̼̖͍͈̀ͅ!̗̠̙͉̰͚ͪ́̐͋͛

Seeing the number of views this topic has gotten is kind of...crazy, at least for what seemed to be a niche game to me (at least versus what reception the original got). :O

N° 2048

What do you mean that's not intention̞͚͖̹̹͓̣̋͐̿̊͊͑͠a̺̜̯̘̲̖̋̑̀̍̀͂l̺̤̻̦͎̘̭?͚̪̠̻͈̀͋͊̽͊͘ ͩ̆͒̓̾̚ ̜̙͇̥̊̽͊̽͂ͩͤT͓̱̗̪̦̤ͥ͛̏ͥ̿̅ẖ͉ͤ͘a͔ͯț̷̞̭̟͆̔ͣ̒̇ͪ'̣̠̦̝̦̥̄̊͐ͅş̹͚̙͈̜̹̪ͭ̽̎̓͒̾ͪ ̝͖̣̹̪ͅt̷̰̥̹̖̼̫͆ͯ̽ͮŏ͚̦ͤ̓͑͢t̲͎̟̯͚ͤ̌̈́̎̿̊͘a͋͐ͩ̓l̶̀͋͊͂̒̒l̷͎̠̾y̛̅ͥ̾̔̍̃̽ ̼ͥ̓ȑ̫̮e̮̟͔͍̖̗͋ͩ́a̼̙͒ͪ͑̇ͪ͑͞ḏ̲̑͂̉̉̚̕a͚b̗͑̄̏̐l̶̬͈̲̹͌ͮͮe̳ͤ̌͒͑ͫ ̤̩͈͖̝̪̙E̙̖͍͕ͧn̞̤͓͎̓ͥ͂ͭͤ̚͘g͠l̹̘͓̻̫̺͆ͤ̆i̼͗̾̽ͫ͆̚s͚̲ͩͯͬͮͤͯ̽h̯̼̖͍͈̀ͅ!̗̠̙͉̰͚ͪ́̐͋͛

How do you do this text thing?

chrono01

The infection spreads. The machines are upon us.

So I just learnt you can
fistbump
your pod
when playing as 9S
:

http://i.imgur.com/jcdygr3.gif

I like your thinking. Honestly, watching this on YT would destroy the storytelling imo.

Playing it at sub-30 is definitely a less than stellar experience, but it is something that needs to be played.

AHHHHH. That's so cool! More proof that this is GotG.

Remember to show your appreciation to your Pod by swiping the touch pad on your controller.

Gbraga

GOD, this optional boss...

Even put the game on Easy, and it was still a 30 min battle or so at this point, and then he says something and one shots me.

:'(

Fuck this, I'm out.

Sami+

Finally beat it. Christ, what a ride.

What do I do now for
Emil's Memories
? Just find him again at the commercial facility on any chapter?

pa22word

So after clearing c route I can't help but think the game would have been better if it just consolidated A+B routes.
There's what, like an hour or so of new content in there? I totally wouldn't blame someone who was coming in blind that just stopped playing the game once they hit the open world in b route because they thought it was just the game giving you an alternate character to play as.

Really liked the game overall. Time to track down the other endings...

gngf123

(Start of route B): lol, they didn't lie about
recording the settings tutorial. Now I had to sit through my earlier trolling of 9S D:

I honestly really loved this section lol.
It caught me completely off guard even though 9S specifically tells you he is doing it at the start of the game.

How much am I missing out on if I avoid most of the sidequests? There's been some interesting writing in the ones I've done, but the actual objectives have been absolute snore fests. Thinking of just mainlining the story and maybe doing a few here and there if I'm in the area.

pa22word

How much am I missing out on if I avoid most of the sidequests? There's been some interesting writing in the ones I've done, but the actual objectives have been absolute snore fests. Thinking of just mainlining the story and maybe doing a few here and there if I'm in the area.

I'm at like 95% quest completion, and honestly...not much.

I think the sidequests overall do an awesome job at giving the world an extra layer of depth and giving you little bits of cookie here and there to supplement the plot and its themes, but as far as the actual mechanics and design of the quests themselves? Yeah, not so much worth anything. The game is fairly blunt with its presentation as it is, so unless the themes of the game just aren't reaching you for whatever reason they aren't really necessary as much as they are interesting. Think of it like a collection of optional glossary entries in the back of a book like LOTR than anything else.

Like if there's anything I'd say I think they absolutely need to improve in a potential sequel it's definitely the sidequests, because it's kind of a shame that some of them are legit really good narratively but they're tied down to such drudgery in the form of game design.

Rpgmonkey

Ok so coming back here now, I think I got all the "main" endings for the game, with a few of the extra/joke ones. Took me 33 hours.

To be honest the endings themselves didn't have as much impact on me as I expected, but I really, really enjoyed the journey up to these endings, and I'm the type of person who cares more about the journey than the destination anyway. A lot of fun twists and turns, with some interesting attempts to add more layers to stuff I normally wouldn't have taken that seriously. Route B was a little boring at first but I thought the pay off around the end was good and things only got wilder from there.

Talking about gameplay only, I wasn't too fond of the side quests. I'd put them in the same tier as Final Fantasy XV, which I think also has really bland and tedious side quests, but the writing side of them in Nier is much better, with the NPCs having more personality. A lot of the side quests ending in some kind of existential crisis or dilemma got a little odd though, not that I didn't appreciate the attempt at examining the overall themes the game had from a bunch of different angles. I think RPGs can be very inconsistent about keeping the writing in line with their themes and examining it in different ways (though I think several RPG developers have improved considerably at this in the past few years), so ones that get it (mostly) right on keeping the writing focused earn a lot of points for me.

The open world I'm a little torn on. I thought the scale served the scenario well, and traversal wasn't too bad, but I didn't really develop any kind of "this is in the game and I (don't) enjoy it" feeling about it. It was kind of a means to an end for me and never really stood out in my mind the entire time. I may just be desensitized to them at this point and don't really care either way unless the developer executes on it in a way that really stands out from my usual expectations.

The past 3-4 years have been really good for RPGs -- both Japanese and Western-made -- and I've actually really liked most of the ones I've played (the most "meh" of the ones I've played in that time period being Tales of Zestiria, Final Fantasy Type-0 and Final Fantasy XV, but Tales recovered from that well and I guess I'll have to wait three years and see how Final Fantasy VII turns out, lol). For better or worse, this is probably the most interesting one among the RPGs I've played in that 3-4 year period, and I don't regret picking this up.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Finally beat it. Christ, what a ride.

What do I do now for
Emil's Memories
? Just find him again at the commercial facility on any chapter?

The trigger for it is super annoying. What I did:
1) Chapter Select 06-05
2) Beat A2
3) Talk to Pascal
4) Find Emil and stop him.
5) Talk to him, he should tell you to go visit him sometime
6) Go to the mall and look for a lunar flower, it'll be a shining flower. If you can't find it something went wrong and you should try it again

1) Chapter Select 06-05
2) Beat A2
3) Talk to Pascal
6) Go to the mall and look for a lunar flower, it'll be a shining flower. If you can't find it something went wrong and you should try it again
you can just start at 7-2

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I am guessing I'm near the end of Route C and I have no clue what is even going on any more. Not to mention this game is depressing as it gets. I'm going to need to play something really happy after this.

OniBaka

I am guessing I'm near the end of Route C and I have no clue what is even going on any more. Not to mention this game is depressing as it gets. I'm going to need to play something really happy after this.
You ain't done til you get ending E. Then you can go play a happy game.

Samikaze

Ok so coming back here now, I think I got all the "main" endings for the game, with a few of the extra/joke ones. Took me 33 hours.

To be honest the endings themselves didn't have as much impact on me as I expected, but I really, really enjoyed the journey up to these endings, and I'm the type of person who cares more about the journey than the destination anyway. A lot of fun twists and turns, with some interesting attempts to add more layers to stuff I normally wouldn't have taken that seriously. Route B was a little boring at first but I thought the pay off around the end was good and things only got wilder from there.

Talking about gameplay only, I wasn't too fond of the side quests. I'd put them in the same tier as Final Fantasy XV, which I think also has really bland and tedious side quests, but the writing side of them in Nier is much better, with the NPCs having more personality. A lot of the side quests ending in some kind of existential crisis or dilemma got a little odd though, not that I didn't appreciate the attempt at examining the overall themes the game had from a bunch of different angles. I think RPGs can be very inconsistent about keeping the writing in line with their themes and examining it in different ways (though I think several RPG developers have improved considerably at this in the past few years), so ones that get it (mostly) right on keeping the writing focused earn a lot of points for me.

The open world I'm a little torn on. I thought the scale served the scenario well, and traversal wasn't too bad, but I didn't really develop any kind of "this is in the game and I (don't) enjoy it" feeling about it. It was kind of a means to an end for me and never really stood out in my mind the entire time. I may just be desensitized to them at this point and don't really care either way unless the developer executes on it in a way that really stands out from my usual expectations.

I highly recommend joining in the discussions in the Spoiler Thread. There's even more layers, connections, and deeper meanings behind many of the games characters, side quests, world, and stories than anyone expected. The Spoiler thread is full of those realizations.

Gbraga

Got tired of getting my ass handed to me, decided to try Easy with the Auto Chips. The CPU got hit by the one shot move as well.

10/10.

Let's try it again on manual.

So after clearing c route I can't help but think the game would have been better if it just consolidated A+B routes.
There's what, like an hour or so of new content in there? I totally wouldn't blame someone who was coming in blind that just stopped playing the game once they hit the open world in b route because they thought it was just the game giving you an alternate character to play as.

Really liked the game overall. Time to track down the other endings...

There's quite a bit of new content in there. I feel like the way it was handled led the revelations about the bosses to feel more powerful, otherwise most of them just show up out of no where in the plot. What reason do you have to care about the story of the opera boss the first time around?

It also gives more of an opportunity to do side quests, as the first playthrough can be extremely short. Also I swear if you rush through the repeated content in route b, its no more than an hour and a half. Though, I definitely could see some really ipatient people dropping the game at the start of route b.

Sami+

1) Chapter Select 06-05
2) Beat A2
3) Talk to Pascal

you can just start at 7-2

Thanks guys! I'm gonna do that, maybe
buy some trophies, and give up my save file. :)

Edit - also yeah my two complaints is that the difficulty balance is a big 💩. Health/healing system really just throws everything off. Didn't care much for the first half of Route B either. A lot of it felt like padding, and it giving an opportunity to do old side quests doesn't mean much to me because I'd rather do them as 2B anyway.

I still think it might be my favorite game though. All of Route C, my God.

Berzerkiymc

Neo Member
just started this last night, a few hours in, but im reaally not enjoying the sidequests, do i HAVE to do them? or could i skip the majority?

Ferrio

Banned
just started this last night, a few hours in, but im reaally not enjoying the sidequests, do i HAVE to do them? or could i skip the majority?

Most of the sidequests tie into the story/world somehow, you can skip them but you're going to miss out the world and characters getting fleshed out. Some of the best scenes are in sidequests too.

Also sidequest progress continues to other playthroughs as long as you completed them fully. So you don't have to burn yourself out on all of them the first playthrough.

unbiasedfanboy

Neo Member

I would do all of them you can. All of them felt pretty worthwile to me and I tend to avoid side-quests in open world games with a 10 ft pole. Be sure not to miss "The Wise Machines."

I love that they have to specify that it's not intentional.

I love how everyone was screaming at Square "Your patch broke the game, fix this before you actually roll this out for US users!" when the patch dropped for the japanese version almost two weeks ago.

Then Square was like "Your concerns have been heard, we'll look into it.".

And a couple of days later they roll out the exact same patch with the same issues for US users.

Appearently the patch also introduced a couple of minor physics bugs and whatnot.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just beat Route C, that was probably the best one so far and
2A is great after barely being in the first two run throughs. A lot of depressing twists and strange turns but not that surprising or unexpected from a Yoko Taro game. Really curious what I'll get to see on Route D and E considering what happened on C

tonypark

I did 70% of them and... useless and they dont do much i dont understand why people say they flesh out the world and all honestly... (they do but it doesnt really change much of my exeprience.)

chrono01

Just beat Route C, that was probably the best one so far and
2A is great after barely being in the first two run throughs. A lot of depressing twists and strange turns but not that surprising or unexpected from a Yoko Taro game. Really curious what I'll get to see on Route D and E considering what happened on C
Unfortunately, D and E are more of an...alternate ending kind of thing, and not an actual route. They're still absolutely worth unlocking, though, specifically E.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I did 70% of them and... useless and they dont do much i dont understand why people say they flesh out the world and all honestly... (they do but it doesnt really change much of my exeprience.)

Some do, some don't. Like, I think it's fine skipping sidequests, but, for example (heavy spoilers btw)
Amnesia and wandering couple added a really nice bit of foreshadwoing to think back on
and
building the slide for the machine kids made what happened hit a lot harder, especially when you go back and see the slide.

Manatox

I didn't beat the boss. >_<

Just gave up for now and advanced a bit with Route C.

If that boss is who i think it is, it's not really meant to beaten easily (just look at its level).

I defeated it after fully beating the game and grinding some levels afterwards. I suggest you do the same, because with the level it takes to beat it without much trouble, the game becomes way too easy afterwards.

Someone sell me on this game, it looks really interesting and all the buzz has caught my attention

Really thinking hard about pulling the trigger since I can get it for 40 from Best Buy.

Top Bottom