• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So question about Ending D
I didn't save over the file that has me right before the final Recovery Unit so could I just reload that save and get to the final boss battle and choose the 9S, I choose A2 first, to get ending D?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
So when are they patching this f'd up txt bullshit in the menus? I just got this game a couple days ago all excited to play it, and I saw the garbled menu txt in the settings thinking it was just part of the game, come to find out it's because of the 1.04 update.

Luckily I'm not very far....just past the intro mission, but damn....im not playing anymore until they patch this. I don't want to risk missing out on any story txt.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Main advice I'd give to people playing the game is not to become reliant on automated healing. Accessing the menu and manually healing is pretty slick once you are used to it, particularly once you have anti-chain chips auto heal is pretty much a waste of space.

I really hope they do some sort of combat-themed DLC with specific restrictions for some fights, because it'd force more players out of their comfort zones as regards load-outs. The RPG framework's requirement that the game be accessible and playable by non-action gamers really works against showcasing the quality and depth of the combat mechanics.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
"Maybe if I keep believing my dreams will come to life..."

;_;

BumRush

Question on whether or not something is intentional:

So I'm getting used to the color scheme (at first it was adding uncomfortable eye-strain) but every once in a while the screen turns completely grey scale (or damn close). An example is the
Goliath fight in the city center with 9S and the flight suits
. Is that a bug?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Question on whether or not something is intentional:

So I'm getting used to the color scheme (at first it was adding uncomfortable eye-strain) but every once in a while the screen turns completely grey scale (or damn close). An example is the
Goliath fight in the city center with 9S and the flight suits
. Is that a bug?

Its deliberate, but its just a stylistic touch. Don't read too much into it.

BumRush

Its deliberate, but its just a stylistic touch. Don't read too much into it.

Okay. Thanks. I'm loving the game so far but some of the "stylistic touches" really look jarring. I'm sure I'll get used to them, and gameplay, story, characters are awesome so far.

Obtained ending C last night. Hoping D and E leave me more satisfied. Route C didn't completely live up to the hype. Shit certainly went down but the logic behind things on a dramatic level leave me wanting.

Obtained ending C last night. Hoping D and E leave me more satisfied. Route C didn't completely live up to the hype. Shit certainly went down but the logic behind things on a dramatic level leave me wanting.
Well D goes along the same lines as C but you will not be disappointed in ending E that is for sure.

I thought Mass Effect was glitchy but Nier is on a whole nother level.

Just lost about 2 hours of progress in the second playthrough as the Commander just killed herself and the game freezes.

All super tedious progress starting from the missile defense was lost. Won't be playing this game again anytime soon...

https://youtu.be/mggckNVnIw0

Just lost about 2 hours of progress in the second playthrough as the Commander just killed herself and the game freezes.

All super tedious progress starting from the missile defense was lost. Won't be playing this game again anytime soon...

Wow I have never seen that before. But I think something like that has got to be rare. During my playthroughs I never experienced anything game breaking.

LotusHD

Banned

Such as?

Never seen that before lol

That must be super frustrating for you, but that video cracked me up.

Are you playing on PC? I've put around 80 hours into the game on PS4 and haven't run into a single glitch.

Are you playing on PC? I've put around 80 hours into the game on PS4 and haven't run into a single glitch.
I put in 55 on PC without a single bug. Buddy had a certain fight bug out on PS4 that forced him to lose since he couldnt hit the enemy

BumRush

Man, I'm 4-5 hours into PS4 and I've had a bug where the enemies weren't where they were supposed to be (fixed by loading) and the settings are all gibberish :(

Can't you guys delete the patches on PS4? Genuine question.

I don't think that's possible. If you have a digital copy, you may be able to delete it, re-download it from the PSN Store, re-install the game and then cancel any patch updates by pausing them when they start/turn off the automatic patch download/install option in settings.?

Just finished it last night. I laughed, cried, and I'm so glad this game was made. I put in 55 hours total by the end. I still feel sad about things that happened in Route C/D, but you can't make every game have a happy ending that wraps up in a nice little bow. I'll come back and 100% the rest of the content. I eagerly await Taro's next game/project.

Respect

Would like to check it out, but a bit worried about the enemies in the gifs/videos I see. The combat looks like a blast but if those 1950 generic looking robots are the majority of the enemies I'm fighting (with slight variations) I'm concerned it will get stale very quick as they don't look particularly interesting in combat that I've seen.

I'm sure there is s story reason for their construct, but this isn't a minor concern to me going in... is this concern at all justified or am I blowing this out of proportion?

Would like to check it out, but a bit worried about the enemies in the gifs/videos I see. The combat looks like a blast but if those 1950 generic looking robots are the majority of the enemies I'm fighting (with slight variations) I'm concerned it will get stale very quick as they don't look particularly interesting in combat that I've seen.

I'm sure there is s story reason for their construct, but this isn't a minor concern to me going in... is this concern at all justified or am I blowing this out of proportion?

The aesthetic theme of the enemies is pretty similar, though there's a load of variation between them, certainly to the extent that it kept me interested. Big differences in size, attacks, pace...as well as some pretty bizarre incarnations of different enemy types later on that I won't spoil. It hasn't got stale for me - ironically, it's that right amount of consistency in enemy design that feels like a plus because you've got such a range of different weapons and skills at your disposal that having similar mobs is a good basis for comparison for different load-outs.

I guess it depends what you want coming in. If combat is the over-riding reason for you coming in then this isn't a Bayonetta or MGS - it's fast, it's got that satisfying Platinum flourish, it's deceptively deep but not on the level of the other games mentioned in the combat department. Still my game of the year thus far.

For me, the enemy design is consistent with the context of the world/story and the combat is exciting and gratifying enough to make fighting my way through different storybeats fun. But yeah, it's unapologetically narrative first so bear that in mind.

LotusHD

Banned
Just finished it last night. I laughed, cried, and I'm so glad this game was made. I put in 55 hours total by the end. I still feel sad about things that happened in Route C/D, but you can't make every game have a happy ending that wraps up in a nice little bow. I'll come back and 100% the rest of the content. I eagerly await Taro's next game/project.

At least one happy thing happened!

Elandyll

Banned
Just started route B last night and really enjoying the game.

Would anyone have a link to a write up of what Happened in Nier and Drakkengard written in a non spoilery way for Automata (if even possible aha) that would allow me to have a better understanding of events in Automata, but at the same time not reveal major plot points meant as surprises in Automata down the road?

I hope this makes sense.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Just started route B last night and really enjoying the game.

Would anyone have a link to a write up of what Happened in Nier and Drakkengard written in a non spoilery way for Automata (if even possible aha) that would allow me to have a better understanding of events in Automata, but at the same time not reveal major plot points meant as surprises in Automata down the road?

I hope this makes sense.

Errr, not really no, lol.

All you need to know I guess is that a joke ending in drakengard spawned nier, and the thousand of years later the aliens invaded, and then machines rule the world.

Elandyll

Banned
Errr, not really no, lol.

All you need to know I guess is that a joke ending in drakengard spawned nier, and the thousand of years later the aliens invaded, and then machines rule the world.
Basically a fluff writing with points never really directly touched in Automata that makes you go "Ah! gotcha! Nice reference" when you see them in game (generally a piece of artwork, or discarded object) vs critical understanding that is ultimately used in one of the route to gain a better understanding of what is actually happening.

Thanks for the short write up though :)

Roughly how long are C, D, and E playthroughs for the endings? I am almost finished with playthrough B and I was able to do it pretty quickly compared to the first.

icespide

Banned
Roughly how long are C, D, and E playthroughs for the endings? I am almost finished with playthrough B and I was able to do it pretty quickly compared to the first.

spoiler just in case:

route C is like 6-10 hours depending on if you do new side quests. D and E literally take like 5 minute because you unlock chapter select after finishing c and you just redo the final battle

Skulldead

yeah me too side B took me like 1/5 the time of first play, the game became too easy, chip can became OP when upgrade properly(play on hard),and very few new sidequest...

Gbraga

Basically a fluff writing with points never really directly touched in Automata that makes you go "Ah! gotcha! Nice reference" when you see them in game (generally a piece of artwork, or discarded object) vs critical understanding that is ultimately used in one of the route to gain a better understanding of what is actually happening.

Thanks for the short write up though :)

I disagree with him. It's not fundamental to understand Automata, but they're way more connected than I thought they would be before playing. And Automata will give you major Nier spoilers during Route B, so I'd say that if you never plan on playing them anyway, now is a good time to watch some videos.

I'd recommend Clemps' videos on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrClemps/videos

It definitely doesn't replace playing them by yourself by any stretch of the imagination, but since Route B will already give you huge spoilers anyway, might as well watch them.

You can skip Drakengard 2's videos. Not because the videos are bad, but the game is not important at all. Wasn't even made by the same director.

If you prefer it in written form, and you don't want the whole story, just the world building, I think this is the best one: https://lparchive.org/NIER/Update 123/

It has the entire playthrough in written form, though, so that's cool as well.

spoiler just in case:

route C is like 6-10 hours depending on if you do new side quests. D and E literally take like 5 minute because you unlock chapter select after finishing c and you just redo the final battle

Oh I'm glad to hear
that D and E aren't very long. I'm enjoying the game a lot, but I kind of want to focus on the main story now to see what all is happening.
Thanks!

yeah me too side B took me like 1/5 the time of first play, the game became too easy, chip can became OP when upgrade properly(play on hard),and very few new sidequest...

B was definitely easier than the first one because I knew where to go, how bosses worked, and so forth.

Elandyll

Banned
I disagree with him. It's not fundamental to understand Automata, but they're way more connected than I thought they would be before playing. And Automata will give you major Nier spoilers during Route B, so I'd say that if you never plan on playing them anyway, now is a good time to watch some videos.

I'd recommend Clemps' videos on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrClemps/videos

It definitely doesn't replace playing them by yourself by any stretch of the imagination, but since Route B will already give you huge spoilers anyway, might as well watch them.

You can skip Drakengard 2's videos. Not because the videos are bad, but the game is not important at all. Wasn't even made by the same director.

If you prefer it in written form, and you don't want the whole story, just the world building, I think this is the best one: https://lparchive.org/NIER/Update 123/

Thanks!

Respect

The aesthetic theme of the enemies is pretty similar, though there's a load of variation between them, certainly to the extent that it kept me interested. Big differences in size, attacks, pace...as well as some pretty bizarre incarnations of different enemy types later on that I won't spoil. It hasn't got stale for me - ironically, it's that right amount of consistency in enemy design that feels like a plus because you've got such a range of different weapons and skills at your disposal that having similar mobs is a good basis for comparison for different load-outs.

I guess it depends what you want coming in. If combat is the over-riding reason for you coming in then this isn't a Bayonetta or MGS - it's fast, it's got that satisfying Platinum flourish, it's deceptively deep but not on the level of the other games mentioned in the combat department. Still my game of the year thus far.

For me, the enemy design is consistent with the context of the world/story and the combat is exciting and gratifying enough to make fighting my way through different storybeats fun. But yeah, it's unapologetically narrative first so bear that in mind.

Appreciate the insights - thanks.

Golnei

Finally got to the end of route C.
Everything in the tower was wonderfully executed - callbacks like the text interludes, the use of the original library (with the boss statues!) and Song of the Ancients were timed perfectly, but they would have limply fizzled out if there wasn't a strong underlying structure - while I agree that the ultimate ending was a little brief (hopefully E helps in that regard) the leadup to 9S and A2's confrontation is so well put together, gradually amplifying the tension that's built across the route with increasingly short interludes between perspective switches, culminating in the ascending boss setpiece whose rapid switches in perspective don't just serve as a climax to the shared narrative between 9S and A2, but the game as a whole's use of genre switches; helped in part by the dialogue given to the boss, that spans across all the machine lifeforms in the game (and also P-33 from Nier?).

On another note, the portrayal of the Terminals was amazing, they illustrated just how inadequate Adam and Eve were as characters with their unsettling menace. I was a little worried about how they'd end up from just reading the play's script, but they were able to provide a memorable take on the ghost girl archetype. Voice acting included - it felt like they took the chance to revisit Manah, without the bathos.

I guess I'll get the last endings tomorrow, then go through the spoiler thread.

Also, as another thing; I'm really struck by how effective all of the asset reuse was in this game. So many striking scenarios were put together with a pretty small pool of base models and animations - for example, the standard
infected YoRHa troops, Operator 210, the 2B copies, and the final bosses
were all built off the same template, but were used to great effect as separate encounters without the recycling being their defining factor - compare it to more orthodox examples like the Mistral and Monsoon AIs in MGR.
Adam and Eve, as much as I dislike them as characters, were also the beneficiary of some pretty creative recycling - the first Adam boss, the 2D duo fight, Adam in the copied city, solo Eve and Boxboy all share assets, but every encounter couldn't feel more distinct
. It feels like they got the absolute most out of the work they did, while still not making things feel repetitive or small in scope. Compared to the excess of FFXV, the economical precision of Nier is impressive.

Ooo. The link to the written write up is a good read. The events surrounding the collapse of civilization, WCS, the Legion, and Red Eye leading up to the events of the original NieR are so unsettling. I'd love to see a Taro Yoko game set in this era.

So when are they patching this f'd up txt bullshit in the menus? I just got this game a couple days ago all excited to play it, and I saw the garbled menu txt in the settings thinking it was just part of the game, come to find out it's because of the 1.04 update.

Luckily I'm not very far....just past the intro mission, but damn....im not playing anymore until they patch this. I don't want to risk missing out on any story txt.

The japanese version is in this broken state for almost two weeks now. Speaking of, this issue is appearently not isolated to the english script, other languages, including japanese, can suffer from this glitch as well.

And there are a bunch of other physics and framerate related issues that can crop up, that weren't there before.

So I finished this a few days ago (A-E). I've been trying to really mull on it overall as to what my thoughts are.

Overall, this was a very strong game. In most senses, this was a stronger game than the original Nier. The sidequests were by in large very interesting, the combat (the huge issue with the original) was perfectly suited and addictively fun, the OST was as good as the original with some excellent callbacks and I by in large enjoyed traversal.

That being said, I had some issues with the game as a whole. First, there were definite pacing issues. Route A and B in particular dragged at some points, which weren't aided by the nature of Route B in general. Route C and beyond paces things very well though but overall some parts definitely was a slog to get through.

The other issue was the story/narrative itself. While very strong, I do think that in the end, I do prefer the original's story. I'll go into this more in the below spoiler area, but there was a stronger singular narrative focus in the original whereas this one was much more of a muddled "save humanity and fight machines! By you know... saving it! and fighting them!" Granted, this conflict comes more into light after the story's completed but I never had a clear driving narrative element at all times like "Yonah's dying, we need to save her!"

In more detail (major spoilers for OG Nier and Nier: Automata):

While I appreciated the narrative going into much more of a philosophical and psychological realm, abstraction and interpretation only take me so far. I think it's interesting to talk about the things that Taro brings up: the machine intelligence and evolution or whether there was anything clearly there or whether it was still within the overall spectrum of their design, the similarities between the androids and the machines and the questions of fate, memory and so forth, but ultimately there are no answers to those questions. For me, the strongest narrative moments in the game were the ones that hit the narratively emotional moments: Pascal's story, the Operators, Devola and Popola (their final moments with the vocal Song of the Ancients and subsequent story totally hit me) etc. Having said that, Playthrough B which was similar to New Game + in the original seemed less impactful (i.e. Simone and Adam/Eve vs. Roc, P-33, Hansel and Gretel) overall.

Which brings me to the characters. I think in retrospect 2B's character comes off much stronger knowing her E classification, and seeing 9S's progression was interesting. But A2 was undercooked and overall, I didn't have the same connections compared to say Yonah, Kaine, Emil or even Grimoir Weiss. For all its fault, the original game really hit the characterizations and narratives much more succesfully for me than Automata.

Overall though, I really liked this game. But even with the fact that Automata is a better overall game experience than the original in terms of gameplay, mechanics, etc. I think I still prefer the original, jank and all if that makes any sense. That being said, this is a game that I'm thrilled exists. It's a goddamn miracle that it was made, and I'm thrilled to see it do well for the sake of well... everyone involved. Square Enix, Platinum (who needed a success despite their great pedigree) and especially Yoko Taro.

As for my thoughts on whether you NEED to play the original for this game... I'd say you don't need to, but you should anyways. You'd be depriving yourself of an amazing story and experience by doing so that wouldn't have the same impact by playing Automata first.

Golnei

Ooo. The link to the written write up is a good read. The events surrounding the collapse of civilization, WCS, the Legion, and Red Eye leading up to the events of the original NieR are so unsettling. I'd love to see a Taro Yoko game set in this era.

I've always thought that era of the backstory would make for a perfect survival horror setting.

Freshmire

Just did the
Amusement Park
It's like some messed up fever dream, so strange.

Anyway, a few questions.
If an item says it can be exchanged for money can I safely sell it?

Should I not bother hoarding items in case I die a lot? And what exactly is lost upon death?

Is there any point to not pray over dead androids aside from being a dick?

Top Bottom