• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm imagining playing Bayonetta but with farming involved because a certain boss might be too hard without the extra damage/armor. Is this the case?

No.
You keep your level, your weapons and their level, and your pod. No matter the circumstance you always have the absolute basic, serviceable build that should get you through any encounter. Certain encounters and fights may be made more difficult without plugin perks, especially on higher difficulties, but they're still doable.

If anything a good assortment of plugins can act as a massive crutch, and losing them is just a shock in having to adapt back to basics. Like for a little bit there I was rolling with deadly heal (recover some health with every enemy killed), offensive heal (recover some health with all damage dealt), and overclock (bayonetta witch time on perfect dodge), and auto item use (automatically uses a healing item when you hit a low health threshold), and that obviously put me at a skewered advantage in most fights. I fubbed it, lost my goods, and failed to recover my body and adapting back to the basic build was tough. But it was still entirely doable and didn't feel unfair.

bigjig

Can't seem to get the wandering couple to spawn in the flooded city even though the side quest dot appears on the map. Is this a bug?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
No.
You keep your level, your weapons and their level, and your pod. No matter the circumstance you always have the absolute basic, serviceable build that should get you through any encounter. Certain encounters and fights may be made more difficult without plugin perks, especially on higher difficulties, but they're still doable.

If anything a good assortment of plugins can act as a massive crutch, and losing them is just a shock in having to adapt back to basics. Like for a little bit there I was rolling with deadly heal (recover some health with every enemy killed), offensive heal (recover some health with all damage dealt), and overclock (bayonetta witch time on perfect dodge), and auto item use (automatically uses a healing item when you hit a low health threshold), and that obviously put me at a skewered advantage in most fights. I fubbed it, lost my goods, and failed to recover my body and adapting back to the basic build was tough. But it was still entirely doable and didn't feel unfair.
Great answer. tyvm.

OK advice Gaf if possible please

I just beat route A and am about to start route B but I reckon I've missed lots of stuff on the 1st run. I'm really tempted to start again lol. I'm a bit of a completionist and want to nail all the quests. Can I mop these up later? I don't mind starting again as it's that good but I wanna 100% this bad boy

LotusHD

Banned
OK advice Gaf if possible please

I just beat route A and am about to start route B but I reckon I've missed lots of stuff on the 1st run. I'm really tempted to start again lol. I'm a bit of a completionist and want to nail all the quests. Can I mop these up later? I don't mind starting again as it's that good but I wanna 100% this bad boy

You can't permanently miss anything.

Hektor

There is a destroyed building in the flooded city with a couple of chests on it that is off by itself and I have no clue how up get there. Even decked out with movement mods I still can't reach it. What's the trick?

This one took me ages to get.

Go to the building that's laying sideways.
Run in circles until you reach full movement speed.
Jump off of it with a double jump.
Dash.
Glide with your pod.
Then use the mirage pod ability when you are right in front of it.

That way you can grab the buildings ledge.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Shoot + Jump = Shoot kick
Glide + Light Attack = Tatsumaki Senpukyaku

So what I did was:

Dash (forward Evade) -> Jump -> Dash -> Jump/Shoot kick -> Glide -> Tatsu

Hmm, just got the final primary ending. Going to briefly dicuss my reaction in general terms, beware of spoilers:

Can't say I wasn't expecting something more, profound? The end had some good bits, but I kind of expected more of an impact in the end. Oh well, even though I had been spoiled on the majority of Nier, its story ultimately had more impact for me. This is still a really good game, but it unfortunately didn't really reach the level of story I expected. Only the final bit did much that was really neat. I was hoping the conclusion would elevate this from a solid 9/10 to 10/10, but sadly I can't really say that it did.

I still really liked the game, just wish it had more to it.

Edit:

Oh yes and (end-game final moments spoilers):

Thank you to all those who came to the rescue of others. I'm not done with the game yet, so I'm going to have to hold off, but I think it's a neat way to close the book on the game. My message was "Proposal: In the end, rules exist so that we may know our freedoms."

Mailbox

Hmm, just got the final primary ending. Going to briefly dicuss my reaction in general terms, beware of spoilers:

Can't say I wasn't expecting something more, profound? The end had some good bits, but I kind of expected more of an impact in the end. Oh well, even though I had been spoiled on the majority of Nier, its story ultimately had more impact for me. This is still a really good game, but it unfortunately didn't really reach the level of story I expected. Only the final bit did much that was really neat. I was hoping the conclusion would elevate this from a solid 9/10 to 10/10, but sadly I can't really say that it did.

I still really liked the game, just wish it had more to it.

Edit:

Oh yes and (end-game final moments spoilers):

Thank you to all those who came to the rescue of others. I'm not done with the game yet, so I'm going to have to hold off, but I think it's a neat way to close the book on the game. My message was "Proposal: In the end, rules exist so that we may know our freedoms."

i recommend you look into analyses on the game now. this game has way more meat and depth than one might think.

the writeup on the trans-humanistic aspects of automata is a good start.

I have a potato rig and I average at 20-25 FPS at the lowest settings. I want to ask you all something.

Do you think I should play the game to completion now, or wait for 1.5 years (as I'll graduate high school then and will get a new PC) to play the game in the intended 60 FPS?

About 10 hours in and I think the game is amazing even though I feel that I'm not fully immersed in it (frame drops everywhere, 576p graphics)

https://www.reddit.com/r/nier/comments/6445ng/psa_useu_104_appears_to_have_the_broken_english/

Getting reports here from NA/EU users that the new 1.04 patch has introduced the broken English language issue originally found in the Japanese/SEA 1.06 patch.

When this occurs, it leads to corrupted English text in the game menu, and during hacking mode. This is not intentional, and does not occur in other languages.

The problem isn't limited to a specific console version, or release version, (it has occurred on both Pro and vanilla PS4s, and in both digital and physical copies of the game.) It does not happen to every user, but does occur 100% of the time once a user has the issue.

Examples of this problem can be found here, (no spoilers): http://imgur.com/a/qGIAi and here, (spoilers): https://youtu.be/-FrI5nsNkvA

It completely ruins major story events, such as 9S's memory space in route B, as the lines it obscures are not voiced, giving the player no way of knowing what has been said in the dialogue boxes (spoilers): https://youtu.be/rkNMWevZvQg

For now, avoid installing 1.04 if you can, as there is no documented fix for this problem, other than to play in a different language.

Square are aware of the issue, (we bug reported it for Japan/SEA over a week ago,) but it won't hurt for you to bug report the issue if you have it, along with screenshots as supporting evidence.

US support: https://support.na.square-enix.com/

EU support: https://support.eu.square-enix.com/

chrono01

On the subject of lines not being voiced, did anyone else miss (near end-game spoilers)
Pascal's memory segments (when you're wiping them) as not being subtitled?
I played with Japanese VO and English subtitles and there were no subtitles for me during that event. (Yes, I played well before this patch was released, in fact, I still haven't downloaded it yet.)

Can I ask something?

On PC, the dialogue is either in auto mode if the lines are voiced, or I can click to advance if the lines are not voiced. How can I make it so that it's always click to advance? Using FAR if that matters.

killatopak

Gold Member
I have a potato rig and I average at 20-25 FPS at the lowest settings. I want to ask you all something.

Do you think I should play the game to completion now, or wait for 1.5 years (as I'll graduate high school then and will get a new PC) to play the game in the intended 60 FPS?

About 10 hours in and I think the game is amazing even though I feel that I'm not fully immersed in it (frame drops everywhere, 576p graphics)

If I were you, I would play it later. Anything that hampers the presentation would be disheartening. But if you are up for replaying later on and seeing how much better it is, thrn by all means play the game right now.

Edit: I would also like to add that finishing it now and joining the discussion about the game here and in the spoiler thread is worth it as well especially for story driven games that has a lot of hidden bits.

If I were you, I would play it later. Anything that hampers the presentation would be disheartening. But if you are up for replaying later on and seeing how much better it is, thrn by all means play the game right now.

Edit: I would also like to add that finishing it now and joining the discussion about the game here and in the spoiler thread is worth it as well especially for story driven games that has a lot of hidden bits.

Thanks a lot!

...I also have AP exams in the first two weeks of May. The decision is difficult. ;_;

Arion

I don't think the death mechanic of the game works all that well since you can just reload the save and get all your stuff back. A pretty huge oversight on their part.

Exentryk

I don't think the death mechanic of the game works all that well since you can just reload the save and get all your stuff back. A pretty huge oversight on their part.

Not an oversight. They just didn't want to force the tediousness for this aspect, thankfully.

black070

Could someone in spoiler tags tell me how many full playthrough routes there are ? I'm on route
C
and just want to mentally prepare myself for how much more of the game I have ahead considering I'm holding off on Persona 5 in it's favour.

Thanks a lot!

...I also have AP exams in the first two weeks of May. The decision is difficult. ;_;
You could also watch a playthrough on YT and then actually play it once you have a better computer. This way you won't have to endure playing it with low fps. Obviously it won't be the same, but if you're interested primarily in the story it might be a better alternative than waiting altogether for 1.5 years.

BumRush

So I'm really digging the game so far (just fought the
silver haired guy that was birthed by robots (?) in the desert
) but I have one main gripe. Is there any way to tone down the washed out effect? It's incredibly jarring and putting strain on my eyes.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Could someone in spoiler tags tell me how many full playthrough routes there are ? I'm on route
C
and just want to mentally prepare myself for how much more of the game I have ahead considering I'm holding off on Persona 5 in it's favour.

That's pretty much it.

Endings
C, D & E
branches from there.

gngf123

So I'm really digging the game so far (just fought the
silver haired guy that was birthed by robots (?) in the desert
) but I have one main gripe. Is there any way to tone down the washed out effect? It's incredibly jarring and putting strain on my eyes.

It's an artistic choice that suits the game and looks great IMO, but if you wish and are on PC you should be able to hook Reshade to it and change some settings there.

You could also watch a playthrough on YT and then actually play it once you have a better computer. This way you won't have to endure playing it with low fps. Obviously it won't be the same, but if you're interested primarily in the story it might be a better alternative than waiting altogether for 1.5 years.

Nope, not happening. I'd rather play it in 20-25 fps than watch a video. But thanks!

After watching the original NieR on Youtube and having to look up some things to understand why exactly I messed up, I am *not* going to watch a video of Automata if I can play it, haha.

Details: (HUGE NIER 1 SPOILERS)
I decided to watch a "movie cut", basically one of those things where the uploader just meshes all cutscenes together. And what the person did was basically shopping everything together so they showed the dialogue between the Shades in Route A and what was happening got really confusing.They also shopped the endings back to back without any explanation so it was really weird.

The OST is still god tier though, lol.

BTW, is there any way to stop the dialogue from auto-advancing?

Also, does this Reshade thing offer anything that could be a performance boost?

Robiin

Beginner question. What does levelling up get me?

As far as I can tell, all your "power" comes from equipment (weapons, chips)?

BTW, before I forget, this is the most amazing detail about the game so far for me (early game sidequest):
Jackass' Experiment, an inconspicuous sidequest,
reveals that androids feel something analogous to love. This is enough premise to build a whole fictional universe upon, but Taro just has this as a detail in a tiny sidequest.
You beautiful bastard, Taro. You. Beautiful. Bastard.

Jubern

I just started the game yesterday, had the bug from the get go and thought it was part of the game ahah...

I didn't have the text corruption after rebooting the game though, should I assume it's safe to play if the settings's text is okay?

Arion

For people that want to explore it, they have that option.

To me it just seems like they didn't have confidence in that mechanic since they allow such an easy way to circumvent it. It just seems like a weak design decision.

It seems weird how they have a system designed to make deaths more tense and punishing but at the same time give an easy out.

Ghazi

Because it's not only a mechanic, it's part of the worldbuilding.
You don't respawn when you die, your memory-backup gets downloaded into a new body.

They could include that world-building without a tedious mechanic, it's a system that punishes you for using your best gear.

Not even Dark Souls (the series that clearly inspired this mechanic) went down that route.

Top Bottom