• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

I'm still sad about throwing away 60 dollars ;_; but hearing positive impressions is leaving me with confidence. I guess I'll leave the thread until usa date.

I'm not really talking about new content. Is there a story reason to when you beat the game (ending a), that you need to replay it again.

I can't speak for this game until American launch but my answer is maybe. Drakengard 1 had no reason but the other endings offered a fuller picture to previous events and generally topped each other.

Nier 1, a million percent there was a reason. And it made new game plus feeling like an entirely different game in some aspects. Drakengard 3 had a reason from a different time characters prospective making all the endings pretty valid with ending d feeling the most yoko taro.

So take your pick, either way the other endings are designed to be played, this is not optional content. I couldn't imagine talking about the original nier without the context of the other paths.

Jiraiza

Damn it Taro.

The recording of you configuring your settings after the demo gets used in the second playthrough.
That's hilarious.

Side quest help:
For the Lost Girl I'm taking her through the desert but now she won't move and I've defeated all the enemies around her
Edit: Finally figured it out

Lmao died to a
moose

They're so mean.

But take revenge!

If for some reason you're having trouble with the wildlife, tame them with bait, then hitch a ride. Now go jump off somewhere high, and it'll kill the creature upon landing You can loot it's body afterwards. If for some reason you need a round-about way of getting beast hides lol. I found this out by accident, but it was amusing and rewarding in a horrible way :D

Route A and Route B?
What is this all about?

Essentially new timelines - in one
you control one character,
in another
you control another
. Different events occur in each, to my knowledge.

Specifics Spoiler:
The first is 2B, and the second seems to be 9S.

McGwigan

Banned
I am doing my best to avoid spoilers :D Thank you guys so much for using the
hamburger
tags.

Does anyone know if song titles in the OST have spoilers? I was going to try to find songs on Youtube now that the game is out in Jepan.

Goldboy

Sorry if this information was in the OP and I missed it, but would you guys recommend this game for a newcomer? I haven't played any of the Drakengard games or the original Nier, but this has piqued my interest and I'd love to give it a shot. Just wondering if I should play the original first.

LotusHD

Banned
Sorry if this information was in the OP and I missed it, but would you guys recommend this game for a newcomer? I haven't played any of the Drakengard games or the original Nier, but this has piqued my interest and I'd love to give it a shot. Just wondering if I should play the original first.

Don't need to play any of the other games. You can just jump right in.

DevilDog

I am doing my best to avoid spoilers :D Thank you guys so much for using the
hamburger
tags.

Does anyone know if song titles in the OST have spoilers? I was going to try to find songs on Youtube now that the game is out in Jepan.

None of the titles are spoilery. Unless you're like 100% blind. In that case, there are boss names. That's about it.

I can find only 9 songs though, is that all??

McGwigan

Banned

You dont have to play the first game at all but do it anyway

It's in the OP under "What if I want to play the Original?" - check out the Clemps Analyses playlist if you want backstory without playing the original.

Otherwise, no, you don't need to have played the original.

None of the titles are spoilery

I can find only 9 songs though, is that all??

There should be 3 discs on the physical release, so I doubt it's only 9 songs long.

Just wanted to say that this is one of the most impressive OT's I've ever seen in my many years on NeoGAF. Great job!

Thank you very much - this means quite a bit, I'm glad you've enjoyed it.

EdmondD

Yes, no prior knowledge of the previous games is needed. This game is set thousands of year after the original Nier. They wanted the game to be friendly for newcomers. That being said those who have played the other games will be rewarded. The lore of these games is really rich and deep.

So I've never played nier nor any of this guys games, I know they have multiple endings and you play through it multiple times but can you explain it to me. I see posts about routes, how does it all work?

Also since people are finishing the game, how is it? Amazing?

Exentryk

Random.

C5XlsviWQAArrQT.jpg

TissueBox

Can't wait to jump back into this tonight. Game has such a minimalist vibe.

Minimalist is an adequate word for it!

Suffice it to say, Nier Automata is a much more subdued kind of experience. There is restraint in its storytelling and it's solidly done. Though the wackiness is there it's absorbed into this very levelheaded emotional center and the game makes it work, even if it feels a bit lightweight at face value. About to head into the other routes and see what happens though. xD

JayEH

Uhh so I guess I just got ending (not A)
H.That's about an hour's worth of progress lost...I didn't even hear the pod say the warning before I left the area.

So I've never played nier nor any of this guys games, I know they have multiple endings and you play through it multiple times but can you explain it to me. I see posts about routes, how does it all work?

His past games have gone one of two ways:
  • 'Ending' Structure: Complete the game with one ending, replay certain segments with new information/events/mechanics and get a new ending, etc until the true ending. (Used in NieR)
  • 'Timeline' Structure: Play throught the game once to get Ending A. Start the game again to play through a new timeline which starts & ends completely differently with characters in new roles, etc, until the True/Final Ending. (Used in Drakengard 3.
NieR: Automata - based on what we're hearing so far (only two actual endings have been talked about) - seems to be
the former, but with some changes.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Question for people playing the game;

Its known there is a juke box that allows you to play/mix music from the game; is this there from the start or is it quested/unlocked?

Goldboy

Thanks for the help everyone, I'm going to Gamestop later today to see if they have a used copy of the original but if I can't find it I'll just watch the recap video in the OP before getting Automata.

cLOUDo

Essentially new timelines - in one
you control one character,
in another
you control another
. Different events occur in each, to my knowledge.

Specifics Spoiler:
The first is 2B, and the second seems to be 9S.
So,
you can't play with both character
in the same walkthrough?

convo

Just watching Liam's stream i think Yoko Taro is really having a laugh with
how many endings there will be.the whole alphabet is totally happening
. And jesus the experience will be so different for newcomers, since Nier fans
will know when to be pacifists

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Played for 5 hours yesterday, got to level 16, did 8% of side quests and defeated the first 3 bosses (including the prologue one).

I have 2 questions, which themselvs aren't spoilery at all, but since someone might find answers spoilery, please reply in spoiler tags, I guess?

- Are all save points unlocked as fast travel locations later on? I explored 3 big "zones" of the first (?) area and only found 1 or 2 save points allowing for fast travel. Since some side quests require you to go really far, I was wondering if I should just wait before doing them.
- Are side quests missable? So far I've been able to go back to all locations, but I'm wondering if there's a point where I should clean up everything I have left before progressing.

convo

Played for 5 hours yesterday, got to level 16, did 8% of side quests and defeated the first 3 bosses (including the prologue one).

I have 2 questions, which themselvs aren't spoilery at all, but since someone might find answers spoilery, please reply in spoiler tags, I guess?

- Are all save points unlocked as fast travel locations later on? I explored 3 big "zones" of the first (?) area and only found 1 or 2 save points allowing for fast travel. Since some side quests require you to go really far, I was wondering if I should just wait before doing them.
- Are side quests missable? So far I've been able to go back to all locations, but I'm wondering if there's a point where I should clean up everything I have left before progressing.
yes they do unlock as fast travel points
yes some can be failed and if you progress far enough into the story certain quest get locked out as well, leaving them for the when you do other endings. Not certain if things can get really permanantly fucked
Save at every corner to be save.

Vic_Viper

Anyone know if the Mech or ship is drive/flyabe outside of shmup sections or for faster travel? Is there any form of faster traversal or a fast travel mechanic?

TissueBox

Anyone know if the Mech or ship is drive/flyabe outside of shmup sections or for faster travel? Is there any form of faster traversal or a fast travel mechanic?

No traversable mechs but you can ride an animal after luring it with bait (though getting off will require you to do it again and they can't go everywhere). Fast travel is acquired later in a main story mission.

Labolas

Just watching Liam's stream i think Yoko Taro is really having a laugh with
how many endings there will be.the whole alphabet is totally happening
. And jesus the experience will be so different for newcomers, since Nier fans
will know when to be pacifists

Does Liam like the game? I mean, I know he's a huge Nier fan so I want to know how this ranks for him.

convo

His past games have gone one of two ways:
  • 'Ending' Structure: Complete the game with one ending, replay certain segments with new information/events/mechanics and get a new ending, etc until the true ending. (Used in NieR)
  • 'Timeline' Structure: Play throught the game once to get Ending A. Start the game again to play through a new timeline which starts & ends completely differently with characters in new roles, etc, until the True/Final Ending. (Used in Drakengard 3.
NieR: Automata - based on what we're hearing so far (only two actual endings have been talked about) - seems to be
the former, but with some changes.

I like that western fans will have some concrete advice waiting for them when the game comes out here. Making sense of all this madness right now would be a bit much for a casual gamer.

Top Bottom