• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Nap1400

Does anyone know where the track from the very first Paris Game Show trailer plays, and if so, would it be too spoilery to ask?

just curious on various people's playtimes.

Im not too concerned about length as I am a lover of Taro games. Just trying to gauge it from the various people who have it.

12BoM

Also this game must have an absurd amount of music. I've heard unique themes for like, side quests. Jeezus.

Vocal themes no less.

Really? That makes me happy. I've only listened to about 5 tracks but I noticed only like 9 has been uploaded so far to youtube so was concerned. Thats sick

Skatterd

So looks like no matter what you'll end up spending more if you buy from another store?
If that's the case I'll wait till US release.

Slaythe

So looks like no matter what you'll end up spending more if you buy from another store?
If that's the case I'll wait till US release.

Not exactly.

If you have friends in HK or Japan they can get cards for you with no profit and then it's not much more expensive.

Re-sellers make a huge margin over it.

Okay.
Question time

1) how are the combos? Are they like different bw different weapons of the same type? If so do they get crazier or are they just cycling through different moves?
2) how different is the playstyle between the 3 characters? Like all new moves/weapons/skills?
3) how is magic compared to nier 1?
4) are installed skills only passive? I once saw this gameplay where every slash released a projectile, am i right to assume thats a skill and there are more like it?

Thanks. Feel free to spoil

Jiraiza

What weapon combos are you using? Is spear as good as it looks?

I was using two small swords on set 1 and spear/huge sword on set 2. It's definitely pretty fun to use.

On another note,
has anyone noticed those lone, single white flowers around the world? I want to think it's Drakengard related, but I have no idea.

Bladenic

Really sad I had to cancel my pre-order. Funds are just too tight and I'd rather wait and save for Mass Effect. Definitely will get the game once it's on sale though, and I hope it sells well (for its pedigree).

jonjonaug

Does anyone know how to continue the sidequest where you're doing treasure hunting in the castle? I have the key but can't find how to get to the door the quest log mentions.

EDIT: Never mind, figured it out.

Okay.
Question time

1) how are the combos? Are they like different bw different weapons of the same type? If so do they get crazier or are they just cycling through different moves?
2) how different is the playstyle between the 3 characters? Like all new moves/weapons/skills?
3) how is magic compared to nier 1?
4) are installed skills only passive? I once saw this gameplay where every slash released a projectile, am i right to assume thats a skill and there are more like it?

Thanks. Feel free to spoil

Bamp?

Jiraiza

1. All weapons of the a type have the same moveset. The more you upgrade your weapons, the more you add to the move set of said weapon, though I think the demo had them all unlocked already.
2. Haven't played A2 yet, but 9S you only use 1 weapon per set, but your triangle is reserved for hacking the monster. You can make them blow up, rewire them to attack other robots, or control it directly.
3. No magic so far?
4. I haven't really seen any other chip that modifies the properties of an attack other than shockwave. But that's just me.

N° 2048

What's up with
The Lost Girl
quest?
I guided her back and it says "The Lost Child thanked you for guiding her out of the desert and returned to Pascal's village."
but the quest isn't marked as completed. It's still "active".

Do we have any playtime estimates to reach ending A? Don't really wanna read through the thread in fear of spoilers. Also are subsequent ending runs much faster like in OG Nier?

jonjonaug

What's up with
The Lost Girl
quest?
I guided her back and it says "The Lost Child thanked you for guiding her out of the desert and returned to Pascal's village."
but the quest isn't marked as completed. It's still "active".

Go back to the village yourself.

Jiraiza

Do we have any playtime estimates to reach ending A? Don't really wanna read through the thread in fear of spoilers. Also are subsequent ending runs much faster like in OG Nier?

You could probably run through the game for ending A in 4-5 hours if you're fast and efficient.

I'm about 13 hours in and haven't hit ending A yet. I've been doing side quests as I get them and exploring new areas a little, but otherwise I've just been casually making my way through.

jonjonaug

Entirely depends on how much time you do sidequesting and experimenting with the combat system. I'm about 12 hours in and I think I'm only about halfway done with the first playthrough?

It was bugged out, the marker was showing in some inaccessible place but I restarted the game and then the maker was in the village -.-

Yeah that happened to me too, but I just went back to the village anyway and it worked.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Maybe this is a stupid question, but how is the story in this game?

I've heard the first is pretty good. Is it RPG-esque with a long, winding story? Is it engaging? I really need a competent story to keep me interested.

Leeness

I...really want spoilers for the entire story and how it connects to Drakengard and Nier. 😔 All of them, just give them to me.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how is the story in this game?

I've heard the first is pretty good. Is it RPG-esque with a long, winding story? Is it engaging? I really need a competent story to keep me interested.

Given I haven't even hit ending A yet, it's still WAY too early for me to comment with any authority on how it all comes together, but up till now it's been very intriguing.

That said, the real standouts for me so far have been the side quest stories and NPC writing thus far. It's all been really phenomenal.

Not actually a spoiler but just conjecture ala 2B
She's mostly been pretty cold this run, but she's gradually warming up to Nine and the robots. I get the feeling she won't really start to develop in full until after ending A, whatever that is.

Exentryk

Given I haven't even hit ending A yet, it's still WAY too early for me to comment with any authority on how it all comes together, but up till now it's been very intriguing.

That said, the real standouts for me so far have been the side quest stories and NPC writing thus far. It's all been really phenomenal.

That's surprising. I wasn't expecting much on this front, but good to hear.

Top Bottom