• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata PC performance thread

Zanzura

Hmm, it's a different area, but there doesn't appear to be any major differences. I'm curious as to what the hell is going on with that alleyway and the GI setting at 16, because I'm currently reproducing it after several restarts now.

I've checked. With me at 0 or 16 I get what you had at 16, the grass in the ally being bright but at 32 and up (32, 48, etc) I get it being dark like it should. At 32 it also runs better. I'm going to just leave it there as it seems to run better but look more or less the same.

Ok, thanks for the report. It appears there's something wrong with setting it to 16.

Kindekuma

Banned
Yoooo this GI fix is legit. Went from around 50-60FPS in city ruins to constant 59-60FPS. Even added in AA as well and it's still stable at that.

I've checked. With me at 0 or 16 I get what you had at 16, the grass in the ally being bright but at 32 and up (32, 48, etc) I get it being dark like it should. At 32 it also runs better. I'm going to just leave it there as it seems to run better but look more or less the same.

It runs better for you at 32?
I tried with 16 and performance definitely improved, though unfortunately it's still not rock solid in the city ruins, but the stutter only seems to happen when large geometry is popping in.

Pretty insane that they managed to bump the FPS up this much with the fix. Unfortunately the FAR fix crashed on me one evening and I haven't gotten it to launch again while it feeds me the same error. Clean install of both nier and the program. Guess I have to wait for an official patch and pray it helps the fps as much as this lod fix.

I had it crash once and refuse to run again as well. Deleting the the SpecialK folder in Documents/My Mods fixed it for me, not sure if you have the same problem.

Melchior

I had it crash once and refuse to run again as well. Deleting the the SpecialK folder in Documents/My Mods fixed it for me, not sure if you have the same problem.

Holy moly thanks a ton that was it. I was doing everything I could think of. I didn't even know it made a folder there. Again I really appreciate that hahahaha

Zomba13

Hmm, it's a different area, but there doesn't appear to be any major differences. I'm curious as to what the hell is going on with that alleyway and the GI setting at 16, because I'm currently reproducing it after several restarts now.

Ok, thanks for the report. It appears there's something wrong with setting it to 16.

OK, checking again and yeah, now I'm getting it looking similar to 128 when I pick 0 (but with better performance). Weird. I did run around and look at the area just behind where you took the screen shot and tried sliding the slider (in the FAR menu thing) up and down there and noticed the differences.

Don't know why when I was setting it to 0 when I posted before it was looking the same as 16. It wasn't jumping up to 16 either, it was showing as 0 on the menu and I could see the changes going down from 128 to 0.

EDIT: So yeah. Just running around the city with it at 0 it does seem very close to 128 but without the perfomance hit. I mean, I know it's not, but 0 seems to look closer to it being at default compared to 16.

It runs better for you at 32?
I tried with 16 and performance definitely improved, though unfortunately it's still not rock solid in the city ruins, but the stutter only seems to happen when large geometry is popping in.

Oh no, runs best at 0, then 16, then 32. It's just going by that ally and the surrounding area 32 is the "best of both worlds" option from my experince. Better performance than 128/the default but better accuracy compard to 16 (as in the ally grass appears darker than grass in the sunlight like it does in the default setting). Just reread my post, I meant it runs better at 32 compared to 48 and above (up to the default). That was my bad.

J_Viper

I'm dumb, where do I find this modified patch?

The link here is for the old one right?

EDIT: Never mind, think I got it
I'm sorry if it's a stupid question, but did you reboot your PC since installing the game? I'm only asking because I was getting 40fps in combat rooms in the first mission, even at 900p, and went and bought a new graphics card (that should arrive this week), but the next day I tested again and for whatever reason it ran the same part much better, 60 fps with a few drops here and there. So I'm assuming it's because of that.

I actually haven't launched yet for a second time, though hopefully this new patch will fix everything up!

ike_

Yeah nice work, this fix brings my GTX760 (one notch below min req card) up to running a little better than my OG PS4 where it should be (900p 16x AF 2x AA).

Sure hope Platinum picks this up.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
GI setting is facinating. I hope they add a toggle in game, could be low - 16, med = 48, high = 128 something like that.

Edit: Seems like it's sort of being used as the worlds most expensive AO? It's hard to tell which setting I'd use I guess, needs more testing in other areas. Also they've got new testing branches for patches now so they are working on something

J_Viper

I'm new to this sort of thing with PC games, so I'm a bit confused.

I downloaded the updated fix. Am I good, or do I need to enable some settings in the "Shift+Control+Backspace" menu?

I'm new to this sort of thing with PC games, so I'm a bit confused.

I downloaded the updated fix. Am I good, or do I need to enable some settings in the "Shift+Control+Backspace" menu?

Once you shift+control+backspace and get the menu, go under the nier option which has a slider, slide it to 16 for most performance boost. You can fiddle with it in increments of 16 (like 16, 32, 48, etc)

Nvidia is asking those with crashes to submit their feedback though. Maybe it's a driver related. Anyone with crashes using a geforce 10 series?

I've had no crashes as well. GTX 1070.

I had a random crash last night about 10 minutes into a new game. Then again I had just updated drivers but not restarted yet + had other things in the background + testing out the Nvidia game streaming thing lol.

It was running fine then all of a sudden boom crash. Did not get a chance to test again but will get to that tonight. 1070 as well.

Zafir

Nice.

That 'fix' is allowing me to play the game at 1440p/60FPS on my 970GTX. Big improvement over before where I was getting 45FPS at best.

While I was playing I decided to grab some screenshots that were requested earlier (no comparisons, though, sorry!).

That brightened grass thing isn't actually a problem. I believe it's a case of the GI fix defaulting to zero, so if you set it to 16 manually you think it's on, but the next time you boot the game it's disabled (set back to 0).

Here's how that alley looks with GI set to 16 (click for full size):

With GI actually set to 16, it looks pretty much the same as 128. With GI set to 0 (i.e. off) it looks like the brightened grass image posted before.

As a bonus, here's two screenshots of the desert. One sort of like the image Durante posted earlier, and one of the
Oasis
. Click for full-size (I won't embed the potentially-spoilery one, so click it if you want to see it).

Second image

These are at GI 16. They look pretty close to 128, and certainly run better. I can't see a reason to use anything higher than 32, unless you've got performance to spare and really want the slight improvement.

EDIT: Gah, Steam's screenshot tool + imgur compression really added banding to those screenshots. Well, at any rate, they're enough to show that GI at 16 doesn't change the overall lighting that much.

Zomba13

While I was playing I decided to grab some screenshots that were requested earlier (no comparisons, though, sorry!).

That brightened grass thing isn't actually a problem. I believe it's a case of the GI fix defaulting to zero, so if you set it to 16 manually you think it's on, but the next time you boot the game it's disabled (set back to 0).

Here's how that alley looks with GI set to 16 (click for full size):

Huh, weird. When I tried it it looked like that when I set it to 0 and not 16. 0 was dark, 16 was light, 32-128 was dark. I use the slider in game, not the .ini.

Exentryk

So with this new GI change, is it better to turn on AA and turn off AO? Or perhaps downsample with AO, and keep AA off?

While I was playing I decided to grab some screenshots that were requested earlier [...]

Thanks for this. Looks great to me at 16, so I'll install this tonight. I don't play on fullscreen, so don't need Kal's mod, but will probably have to install it for this.

Momentary

Banned
Man the camp is still super demanding. Just walking around in there is like a bench mark for this game.

What are people setting the GI to who are running this at 4K?

The difference between 16 and 32 seems to be substantial. After that 32 and up looks almost the same to me.

I've settled on 32 myself, I still get some hitches moving through the open world, but they are brief.. aside from that, mostly 60 fps @ 4k on my Titan XP.. so I'm happy.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully if there is a patch, they end up adding a GI detail option. If they weren't planning to maybe this would inspire them to do it, and maybe patch it down a notch on the PS4 to improve the experience for everyone.

Momentary

Banned
I've settled on 32 myself, I still get some hitches moving through the open world, but they are brief.. aside from that, mostly 60 fps @ 4k on my Titan XP.. so I'm happy.

Yeah 32 seems to get me 60FPS no matter where other than the camp where it dips down to 57 for some reason. I'm over clocking my Titan to be able to do it. This game doesn't seem get a large boost from overclocking though. maybe 4 to 5 frames. In the camp it went from 52 to 57FPS.

Game is still studders for me as well, but it's not bad at all. Since NVIDIA and Platinum both seem to be planning to push some updates for this game, I'm sure something will improve. I'll probably beat the game by then, but it'll be nice to come back and revisit the game with a Volta Ti.

Hopefully if there is a patch, they end up adding a GI detail option. If they weren't planning to maybe this would inspire them to do it, and maybe patch it down a notch on the PS4 to improve the experience for everyone.

I'm sure the PS4 could be bumped down to 64, 32, or even 16 if they want to push the game's resolution up to 1440p.

Momentary

Banned
I'm really considering restarting the game just because of this community patch.

DrDaxxy really pulled through with this one. Kaldaien hasn't even done anything for the performance of the game yet. Seems like he's going to take a crack at it next week.

Hopefully we'll get a new frame limiter, improved shadows, and maybe even some decent AO for this game.

These guys make it so easy to click that donate button.

J_Viper

So with the new patch, I've got everything but AA maxed (that's on 4x) at 1440p and I'm having almost no drops in the open world.

I haven't gotten into a ton of combat, but the encounters I've run into don't produce any noticeable drops. There's a stutter that hits every so often, but that seems to be an engine issue?

I also haven't noticed any stutters in the pre-rendered cut-scenes, though I've only seen two so far.

God bless the folks who fixed this game.

My performance seems good (can't say exactly how it is, haven't monitored FPS at all, but feels like 60fps) after installing the fix. Running on a 4GB 960 and 3570k @4.4GHz. It still does some weird stuff with fullscreen/borderless/alt+tabbing/etc. but I can deal with all that pretty trivially. Totally playable at this point, no meaningful issues outside of occasional cutscene stutter.

gngf123

The new patch actually does wonders. I can basically perfectly run this game in 1080p 60fps on my aging HD7950.

Need to do more testing tomorrow.

robotrock

Banned
Any of you guys having issues where the M/KB button prompts keep showing up despite playing with a controller?

OBiYlFTl.jpg

so the game is definitely supposed to look like this? just got to this area and was thinking it must have been a glitch due to the GI fix, but glad to see it's not!

Game looks super weird in a few places but also gorgeous in others.

Laiza

Can't get reshade to work with the newest release. Tried everything mentioned previously in the thread.

That's kind of a deal-breaker. I feel the game is rather ugly by default. Grumble-grumble, mutter-mutter...

Anteater

yeah I can't get reshade to work with the new ver :(

the performance gain is nice, don't think I notice too much differences above 32 with the GI setting, my gpu is still too weak to downsample though, I could maybe downsample from a slight higher res but not sure if it's really worth it, anyway, it's good to have more options.

Stalwart

What I wouldn't give for a decent readme...

So, how does this work? I've got a zip folder from that link, and an installer file. I run the installer file in the main Nier folder, and it only gives me an option to "uninstall", and no ability to change branch.

There a reason you didn't use the automatic one?

Pixieking

Banned
There a reason you didn't use the automatic one?

What do you mean? The SKIM64 installer? Every relevant option on it is greyed out.

Edit 2: Nope. I hit install on SpecialK, but it doesn't appear to have done anything?

Edit 3: Ahhh ha. I have an overlay that wasn't there before, so I guess something happened.

Kiru

What do you mean? The SKIM64 installer? Every relevant option on it is greyed out.

Edit 2: Nope. I hit install on SpecialK, but it doesn't appear to have done anything?

Edit 3: Ahhh ha. I have an overlay that wasn't there before, so I guess something happened.
Click uninstall, then the install won't be greyed out anymore. Then you click migrate for the new GI stuff.

Pixieking

Banned
Click uninstall, then the install won't be greyed out anymore. Then you click migrate for the new GI stuff.

I got it working now, thanks. I think it may have thought the Reshade files were part of FAR, so it didn't do much - I shifted them into a new folder, and it came aliiiiiiiive. :D

Top Bottom