• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 1 (reboot) |OT| Itagaki's Masterpiece

Wow. You can't gamesave Sigma 1. I wanted to unlock Very Hard off the bat and have the costumes. :(

Also the graphics for 2007 are good. But look bad in comparison to Black. Did they change Ayane between the two because she looks bad here. It's amazing how Team Ninja changed her in Black->Sigma->2->Sigma 2 in a good->bad->okay->Great fashion. :/

yeah, she looks like an alien in Sigma 1. HUGE eyes. None of the models look all that great compared to her DOA models imo.

benzy

Definitely like her look in Black the best.

ngayane0okyeg.jpg

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just beat "Very Hard" in Ninja Gaiden Sigma this morning. Surprisingly didn't have that much trouble with ch18, even the extra bosses like ishtar was surprisingly not that hard for me, once I nailed down her pattern, I actually probably had more trouble with the alma clone beforehand since she kept grabbing me.:mad: only took me 4 attempts top to get that boss rush section down in any case.

Master ninja mode is pretty insane so far, finally got to the first save point after 15 or so deaths. Those pesky red ninjas.>:

OmegaZero

Yeah, I think the first 2 chapters might just be the hardest in the game.
Screw those horse-riding arrow samurai. Seriously. >_>

I guess Master Ninja mode is going down a bit easier then I thought, but since I'm playing Sigma Plus, I'm using his NG3 costume and the OP helm accessories. Even those aren't helping me meet the karma timer's strict time limits though.

Is there a surefire strategy to getting Master Ninja ranks or does it differ for every chapter?

dokish

Banned
Damn. I have the original Xbox and the Xbox 360 (NGB + NG2). Also a PS3 with NGS.

I lost my save on both Xbox's and now I'm replaying NGB. Good fuck, this game is annoying as hell for multiple playthroughs. The water parts, the plataforming, the backtracking, the puzzles. So much annoying shit. But Itagaki was smart and made Mission Mode, with is pretty much all the action of the game together, and I find myself playing over and over again in times of boredom.

Still can't believe they cut this from NG2 (refuse to pay for this kind of DLC).

BUUUT! Let's talk about what I wanna talk about.

I'm almost finish with normal mode on NGB on my 360. Any useful tips about Hard Mode? Should I buy the wooden sword and play with her only (upgraded, of course), or this is just for VH and MN? (Also, tips on how to upgrade, if it is the case).

Any bracelets I should consider? Is VITAL that I fully upgrade my health bar?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm almost finish with normal mode on NGB on my 360. Any useful tips about Hard Mode? Should I buy the wooden sword and play with her only (upgraded, of course), or this is just for VH and MN? (Also, tips on how to upgrade, if it is the case).

Any bracelets I should consider? Is VITAL that I fully upgrade my health bar?

Yes, it's vital to upgrade your bar unless you're wanting an unnecessary challenge. Yes, you can beat the game with default health values but you're gimping yourself/making the game tougher than it should be with that choice.

If you want to live life on the edge, upgrade the wooden sword to max, get the power up bracelet, get down to 10% of your HP bar and break the game.

dokish

Banned
Thanks for your answer.

A couple more:

- Where's a good point to farm yellow essence?
- How far in the game I will have it fully upgraded? (I only have to upgrade the wooden sword and nothing else, right?)

Thanks again!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The Wooden Sword is not your go-to weapon. It's a good weapon when it's maxed out and you know what to do with it, but if you're replaying the game for the first time don't go out of your way to use it.

You can farm yellow essence near the secret X-box (the OG X-box prototype) area, IIRC. Once you get an accessory for yellow essence values being higher (IIRC) it becomes much easier to deal with stuff like that.

Go upgrade your Dragon Sword to at least level 2, then Izuna Drop people left and right. Try the other weapons (especially the Lunar!) out and while doing these upgrade the sword as it hitting max is going to be a near late game unlock. But when that unlocks try it out at 10% HP to see what the pros do with it at times.

dokish

Banned
I'm finally in the tower in chapter 15 and getting a beat from the demon guy that summon some bosses. :p

Man, when I first entered the tower I got the same feeling I have the first time I was playing. After a pretty hard tower climbing, you still have these monster in the warps, just for right after fight Alma and the final boss. How awesome is that? You feel the action pumping through your heart! How many single player games offers that experience?

The only game that made me feel this way was Demons Souls. Of course, you kinda have uncharted, but with the difference is, with DS and NGB you have to swtich weapons, use health itens carefully, learn how the enemies operate, you have to manage really well your devil elixirs, etc. You can't take cover, only dodge. That's awesome.

Andrew.

Banned
So I'm bumping this thread.

OG/Vanilla Xbox Gaiden just arrived at my office today.

I originally picked it up when it first released and it really blew me against the wall back then. That first Alma battle kept me up until 3am on a worknight when I had to be in at 6. I finally did beat her, but no game boss had ever put me through that kind of pain and suffering. The feeling of finally beating her though was one of those feelings only Demons Souls has ever been able to successfully replicate.

The one thing that has haunted me though, is that I never really did beat it. My friend had to finish off that second to last boss for me because I was having so much trouble. I did best the final boss on my own, but I always felt that I never truly finished the game myself, and yeah, basically I didnt. So now I have the chance to redeem all that.

Thing is, I'm pretty anxious and scared about it (though in a good way). Ive never been really good at these super fast paced skill based action games and it's been close to 10 years since I played it last. I'm gonna be so damn rusty and I know it's gonna be one of those games where I'll be bitching up a storm because I'm going to be expecting myself to be able to pick up the controller and kick ass like I did when I was in my early 20's.

If anyone has some quick general hints to refresh my memory it'd be greatly appreciated. Reading through the thread memories of that first Doku fight and that early mini boss battle against the dude riding the horse came flooding back into my memorybanks. Not looking forward to those. That horse guy was a fucking pain in the ass.

Also, in what levels did they have those seeimingly infinitely respawning enemies where if you kill all of them a chest appears?

Cant wait to get my ass re-kicked.

Ninja Dom

Played this on every format available except Vita. So now I can play Sigma + on Vita due to Playstation Plus and a free download.

Naaaah, I'm not enjoying this version at all. I'm on the airship and the 30fps and the camera are making this a nightmare. The camera is even worse than on PS3 version. Why is that?

I finished Sigma recently (no Xbox) and was pleasantly surprised. While I prefer the more fluid combat from the other games, I really liked that this actually had some slight Metroidvania/Resident Evil esque progression woven in. I really had no idea that it would play like this, after playing the others first. Pretty awesome, despite some minor annoyances. It also took me quite fucking long. Ingame clock says 12 hours, but it must have been much more.

Top Bottom