• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 1 (reboot) |OT| Itagaki's Masterpiece

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Why does the Kinetsu exist?

I can't find a scenario or enemy that it's the best option for. The life-sucking ability would be good, but most enemies on hard seem to dodge it with ease.

It's just badass. I remember equipping it with the tranquility (?) bracelet and messing fools up.

I suppose.

BTW, those fucking bugs that come out of the ground are a pain in the ass on hard in the final tower section with the red dragons.

can't you combo into the life suck move?

i think i'll finish hard today. I got to the water stage last night and my morale and will to play was instantly depleted. I love how you have to have all the golden scarabs at that point to get the spear gun. itagaki so cruel!

Do you get points off for using items? I know in Bayonetta you do.

It affects your rank at the end of a chapter but not your score. I'm not sure how it works exactly, but I got a perfect score in every category in one chapter, but only "head ninja" rank...i had used a talisman of rebirth and probably some potions. Other chapters, if you do certain things, you get an automatic master ninja rank, no matter what (namely, if you do fiend challenges.) The rank stuff is a bit more lenient than DMC and the game does let you potion spam quite a bit, though a good karma score still has to be earned by playing well and smart. The game should take away karma points for potions.

Done with hard mode...basically 100%'d everything. No ninpo until the last boss (I do this only because I always hit ninpo on accident against the ghost fish.) That ogre challenge in the coliseum gave me carpal tunnel.

nNOix.jpg

I think the timer is a bit low, if you include continues.

On to Very Hard!

Ricker

The game was awesome but very hard,even on normal for me but it was so good that I beat it in the end...I got stuck on Alma for about 2 months though,I would try her a few times a day and finally beat her lol...smooth sailing almost after that for me...

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
It's just badass. I remember equipping it with the tranquility (?) bracelet and messing fools up.

Yeah Kitetsu is probably my favorite weapon from Ninja Gaiden. I loved how they got rid of the life drain in Black so that you could equip other bracelets while using it.

A maxed out Kitetsu is slightly less powerful than a maxed Dragon Sword but the damn thing is just fun to use and looks twice as awesome when you're killing shit with it.

plasma saber MK2 is my favorite. I think it's just a cosmetic change from the True Dragon Sword, but you can't not like having a light saber in this game. i wish there were plasma vigoorian flails o_o or just plasma everything.

just a shame you don't get it until the end game.

i think you might have it set to normal...no bugs or red dragons in the tower section on the end...

Not the tower, the ultimate challenge (or whatever it is where you get locked in a room and have to battle it out for a Devil Stone). I was thinking ahead with dread and must have written it by mistake.

New question.

Unlabored Flawlessness? Does it do more damage than a Lvl3 Dabi, or no? I seem to remember it was severely toned down in the Hurricane Pack updates to vanilla NG, and even at 5% health, it didn't seem to be a worthwhile upgade in damage for the trouble.

More damage than lv.3 Dabilahro when it's activated, less when it's normal. but it's got a launch + izuna drop. I still like Dabilahro better overall, but if you're familiar with a boss and are low on health, you can wreck some bosses with it!

LOL, goddamnit.

I beat Evil Ryu 3, paused it, and got distracted by a night of hockey. Changed the receiver back to my 360, saved and my game clock is now at 22 hours!

dat ryu 3 section. first, it's fiend ryu 3...not too tough but he can be a problem. then, 4 chests with 2 containing ghost fish, which stress me out even though I know how to deal with them. then, alma 2. They really try to break your spirit for alma! game is cake after that though, unless you're dumb and save the 80 ogre challenge for the end, like i did. 80 hit sponge enemies is no bueno...they aren't so bad in regular numbers, but during that challenge you get tired, stop paying attention, and just get owned by the other ogres when you're wailing on one of them.

Holding off on a VH run for a few days to play some Nocturne, one of my other favorite games, which I did a "way too much writing" OP for today...check it out! NG/DMC : Action genre :: Nocturne : JRPGs.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Truly an amazing game but unfortunately we never got a true sequel to it. ='(

header_ninja_gaiden_2.jpg

Gaiden 2 got rid off a lot of the bullshit "platforming"and metroid-lite exploring and instead focused on incredible combat throughout the game. I don't see how anyone who likes Gaiden 1 can't like 2. Sure, you may prefer one over the other, but 2 is such a kickass character action game.

Ugh, I hate that Ogre challenge.

I hate the Ogres in general. Slash slash slash with Dabi, jump and roll away, repeat. Or just keep jumping to jump off their head and do a downward slash... more risk of being grabbed though.

They're just not fun to fight. At all.

pa22word

Gaiden 2 got rid off a lot of the bullshit "platforming"and metroid-lite exploring and instead focused on incredible combat throughout the game. I don't see how anyone who likes Gaiden 1 can't like 2. Sure, you may prefer one over the other, but 2 is such a kickass character action game.

because 2 is chock full to the brim with bullshit and lazy balancing/boss design/level design (IS/rocket spam on higher difficulties, chapter 2 boss + all chapter 9 bosses, fucking chapter 9, respectively), not to mention it plays nothing like the defensive based NG1 settling more on a much more offensive playtype due to all the iframes you're forced to abuse to get through the game

Ok, for those who are better at this game than me (probably all of you):

What is the best weapon/tactic for the Ogres?

I ask, because while I have been able to deal with them thus far, I have yet to make it through a battle with them and feel confident or get through it without damage dealt.

My biggest frustration at this point is that when I attempt to dodge away from their attacks, I get forced into a corner, where I start having to deal with the camera, and getting caught with at least an attack or two while I make my way out.

Obviously the immediate answer is 'Stay away from the damn walls', which I would love to - the thing is these fuckers have such long range on their attacks, that in order to dodge out of range (and dodge again, out of the range of the other Ogres), the walls invariably get closer.

I also find it difficult to evade their attacks in general once they go 'red'. I roll, but their attacks still hit me with startling consistency, regardless of what part of their wind-up I time my roll to, I still get hit a lot of the time.

So yeah, any help would be great, it would help me save on potions. :p

because 2 is chock full to the brim with bullshit and lazy balancing/boss design/level design (IS/rocket spam on higher difficulties, chapter 2 boss + all chapter 9 bosses, fucking chapter 9, respectively), not to mention it plays nothing like the defensive based NG1 settling more on a much more offensive playtype due to all the iframes you're forced to abuse to get through the game

After playing the action packed II, NG1 is waaay to fucking slow. I mean yeah you're still a badass, but not even close to as one in NGII.

More damage than lv.3 Dabilahro when it's activated, less when it's normal. but it's got a launch + izuna drop. I still like Dabilahro better overall, but if you're familiar with a boss and are low on health, you can wreck some bosses with it!

When you're low on health it does the most damage in the game and you can kill Doku in 10secs, but it's very risky. That's why I think that Dabliahro is much better.

Edith: I think NG2 is way cooler just for the Death Scythe, everything else is discuss-able.

dokish

Banned
header_ninja_gaiden_2.jpg

I like the game, but is pretty much unplayable because of the FPS drop.

And I still don't consider it "a true sequel". A think the enemies and the maps in NGB much more immersive, and it was nice just "to be there", despite the flaws everyone hates (military mission, plataforming, water missions, etc). I think the bosses in NG2 a little uninspired. NGB was badass. NG2 doesn't have this feeling. Like Rachel cutting the head of a dragon, Alma fucking you up, or those piranha fish parts there always make you shit bricks.

And I miss the "roll and jump".

I ask, because while I have been able to deal with them thus far, I have yet to make it through a battle with them and feel confident or get through it without damage dealt.

My biggest frustration at this point is that when I attempt to dodge away from their attacks, I get forced into a corner, where I start having to deal with the camera, and getting caught with at least an attack or two while I make my way out.

Obviously the immediate answer is 'Stay away from the damn walls', which I would love to - the thing is these fuckers have such long range on their attacks, that in order to dodge out of range (and dodge again, out of the range of the other Ogres), the walls invariably get closer.

I also find it difficult to evade their attacks in general once they go 'red'. I roll, but their attacks still hit me with startling consistency, regardless of what part of their wind-up I time my roll to, I still get hit a lot of the time.

I use the Dab and try to roll behind them and then do the forward slash. If you hit them in the back with it you can take them out in a few hits without them turning red on you.

lv.3 dabilahro is the best way and you can kill them before they turn red or during the transformation animation (that only happens when you hit their helmet, so don't do any hits in the air. sometimes it's unavoidable.) if you get that X,X,X,X,X,Y (or w/e it is, you know which one i mean) combo twice, they will die. Sometimes it knocks the helmet off, but if you can keep the combo going, they'll die during the change.

You want to confirm that the first hit in the combo puts them into hit stun or they're just gonna knock you out of it. If it doesn't stun them, stop. You can't mash it out or you'll screw up and hit them whne they aren't stunned, so the timing can be a bit tough. I think the only attack that has guaranteed hit stun if you punish it is that vertical bash, where they take a second to lift the club off the ground.

When they jump, you don't need to get that far away because they always land right where you stand. Roll to where they were standing and you can get hits in from behind.

If you get trapped against a wall, you can jump on their head to get away, but don't hit any attacks in the air or you'll take off their helmet. Sometimes you just have to eat hits from other ogres off screen, because they don't make any special sounds signifying they're going to attack, which is bullshit.

You can block most of their attacks without getting stunned yourself, so sit there and see what works. The vertical slash might break your guard, i forget. The key to stay in there and look for opportunities to use that dab combo.

hope that helps

Wow, thanks guys. I wasn't aware you could kill them in short order without taking out their head gear. I thought that was a necessary step to weaken them and kill them faster. It felt like they were taking forever to die with the shield on, but maybe I was just mixing up targets.

You know those fuckers all look alike. :p

Ha, I've been making it harder on myself.

I've completed the game several times but I really feel it's more through brute force than any sort of understanding of the combat system. Which sucks. I want to expand my knowledge can anyone point me in a good direction to do so?

There used to be a site called iberians realm that had tons of great info and videos of the best ways to approach different battles. I think it might be gone now but try googling it. Unfortunately my work blocks pretty much anything game related so I cant check for you.

I've completed the game several times but I really feel it's more through brute force than any sort of understanding of the combat system. Which sucks. I want to expand my knowledge can anyone point me in a good direction to do so?

There used to be a site called iberians realm that had tons of great info and videos of the best ways to approach different battles. I think it might be gone now but try googling it. Unfortunately my work blocks pretty much anything game related so I cant check for you.

all that in the OP

I just beat
doku
for the first time. That was possibly the most badass thing ive seen in a game.

"Must I take your life yet again?"

The drum beating and the clanking of the armor while you fought him, so awesome. Hyped on this game

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

And I still don't consider it "a true sequel". A think the enemies and the maps in NGB much more immersive, and it was nice just "to be there", despite the flaws everyone hates (military mission, plataforming, water missions, etc). I think the bosses in NG2 a little uninspired. NGB was badass. NG2 doesn't have this feeling. Like Rachel cutting the head of a dragon, Alma fucking you up, or those piranha fish parts there always make you shit bricks.

I don't think NG2 drops frames. It just slows down, doesn't it?

Really? Sorry for not reading close enough :S Cheers for making it so easy to find, can't believe I missed it.

no problem. it's a wordy mess of an OP, but I tried to make it easy to scan for pertinent info.

If you have any questions, let me know...some stuff may be pretty unclear or even a little off.

no problem. it's a wordy mess of an OP, but I tried to make it easy to scan for pertinent info.

If you have any questions, let me know...some stuff may be pretty unclear or even a little off.

That gamefaq is one the densest things I've seen in ages. Will certainly keep me busy. Can't believe how deep the game is, it's almost structured like a single player fighter.

That gamefaq is one the densest things I've seen in ages. Will certainly keep me busy. Can't believe how deep the game is, it's almost structured like a single player fighter.

yeah, personally i think it's a bit overcomplicated. above all, reactions are important in this game. reacting to everything and knowing the enemy cues + what to counter it with. but there's a lot of good beginner's info in there too.

i dont quite understand how this works, but isnt this type of thread supposed to be in the community forum? i dont mind, but i just think it does

i dont quite understand how this works, but isnt this type of thread supposed to be in the community forum? i dont mind, but i just think it does

I dunno...it's a new OT for an old set of games. kind of a RTTP/LTTP, but also written to get people who haven't tried it into the series. Sounds like a gray area, I'll let mods sort it out however they see fit.

Just wanted to say that tip about having the karma meter on was amazing. Made me work and try so much harder, react, plan and think better. If you take one thing from this thread, take that!

Just wanted to say that tip about having the karma meter on was amazing. Made me work and try so much harder, react, plan and think better. If you take one thing from this thread, take that!

good deal, that really is the best way to get good. Missing those timers pisses you off enough to try harder.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Finally got my copies of sigma 1 and 2. I'm actually looking forward to playing them,maybe devils 3rd will live up to the glory of NGB
lol :I

ultim8p00

Banned

Seriously, can we all quit with this? The game was not "unplayable." Everything you did just happened in slow motion, it was still very much playable, just not 60fps...and that was mostly pre-patch.

MELT FASTER YOU DICKS

that's the spirit!

Seriously, can we all quit with this? The game was not "unplayable." Everything you did just happened in slow motion, it was still very much playable, just not 60fps...and that was mostly pre-patch.

oh man...we are so close to the staircase debate.

totally intentional. shit, i just derailed my own thread

Started very hard today. it's an accurate difficulty description. Making it to that first check point felt good and I owe it all to the nunchucks.

Finished Hard, the last boss took less time than he did on Normal. Flying Swallow seemed to interrupt everything he did, leaving him open to my favorite TDS combo (X, hold Y, YYY). Toss out some nimpo for the invincibility whenever things got dodgy, finished without using a potion.

Oh, and btw, storyline question:

WHO THE FUCK IS THE VIGOR EMPEROR? The giant collection of skulls? I bet he's a hit at the UN meetings.

WHAT THE FUCK IS A ZARKHAN?

Finished Hard, the last boss took less time than he did on Normal. Flying Swallow seemed to interrupt everything he did, leaving him open to my favorite TDS combo (X, hold Y, YYY). Toss out some nimpo for the invincibility whenever things got dodgy, finished without using a potion.

Oh, and btw, storyline question:

WHO THE FUCK IS THE VIGOR EMPEROR? The giant collection of skulls? I bet he's a hit at the UN meetings.

Post when you get to the first save point on VH and tell me how good that feels.

OmegaZero

So, I've never played a Ninja Gaiden game before.
Would Sigma Plus be a good start if I don't have access to the other versions?

So, I've never played a Ninja Gaiden game before.
Would Sigma Plus be a good start if I don't have access to the other versions?

Absolutely. I have played every version of NG there is and Sigma+
is fantastic. It is so perfect to have on the go, the new missions they added are really fun. Even the new items add a new layer of strategy which is fun to play around with. I really cannot recommend it enough, but far the best game on the Vita.

Top Bottom