• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 1 (reboot) |OT| Itagaki's Masterpiece

Will do, but first I want to go through the missions and unlock that DOA costume. :p

I can't decide when to tackle the missions. They must take 50 hours to beat them on all difficulties! Probably after VH, before MNM. But I have a feeling MNM will be cake after all that. VH is really not so bad so far, except that first chapter and a couple of new encounters that threw me off, and people say MNM is the same as VH with remixed enemies.

OmegaZero

Absolutely. I have played every version of NG there is and Sigma+
is fantastic. It is so perfect to have on the go, the new missions they added are really fun. Even the new items add a new layer of strategy which is fun to play around with. I really cannot recommend it enough, but far the best game on the Vita.

Sounds good.
Going to buy it today.

What's the fastest way to break Doku's life-sucking throw?

Also, any tips for the mission where you take on Doku AND Satan at the same time in an arena smaller than my apartment?

Also, any tips for the mission where you take on Doku AND Satan at the same time in an arena smaller than my apartment?

For those missions just wall jump like crazy and use a heavy sword, UF, or DDB, or Dabilahro depending which you have.

Wow. So Doku's throw is complete bullshit. Sometimes a roll away will protect you, sometimes the game just decides 'Ha, no, you're taking damage now, so we're just going to break our own rule-set to punish you' and he'll grab you straight out of a roll.

Awesome.

There's 'challenge' and then there's 'bullshit'.

Oh, and I forgot about those large-sword fiends, that will just straight up ignore any move you attack them with after they go red.

Hahaha, bad.

On to better games.

For those missions just wall jump like crazy and use a heavy sword, UF, or DDB, or Dabilahro depending which you have.

Exactly, you hit him with this very time.

The game is still pretty responsive during the slowdowns too. Still more playable than the choppy mess in Lord of Shadows or Heavenly Sword.
Also, there is just one scene where it slows down very much. It's the staircase and I thought this was badass. There where so many black spider-clans spawning and after a UT2 of your Death Scythe everything returns to normal. It felt awesome.

Wow. So Doku's throw is complete bullshit. Sometimes a roll away will protect you, sometimes the game just decides 'Ha, no, you're taking damage now, so we're just going to break our own rule-set to punish you' and he'll grab you straight out of a roll.

Awesome.

There's 'challenge' and then there's 'bullshit'.

On to better games.

Dont get anywhere near Doku. He is another boss that you can just hang out in a corner and wait for him to come near you. Once he does just wall jump and hit him with a heavy sword. Even on master ninja you can beat him with basically no damage, the only problem are the ninjas that help him.

Been revisiting Ninja Gaiden Sigma/Black and Ninja Gaiden 2 and Sigma since beating Ninja Gaiden 3 a few days ago. My take is that Ninja Gaiden 1 is probably the better balanced better thought out game, but ill be damned if Ninja Gaiden 2 is not more fun. Ninja Gaiden 2 destroys 1 with better weapons, combat and you gotta love the levels. Neo Tokyo, NYC, Venice, Hayabusa Village and some of the other crazy levels were just a lot of fun. The enemy variety was great too giving us fresh enemies on almost every level in the game and dat blood.

NGS2 was cool for some of the extra content.

Dont get anywhere near Doku. He is another boss that you can just hang out in a corner and wait for him to come near you. Once he does just wall jump and hit him with a heavy sword. Even on master ninja you can beat him with basically no damage, the only problem are the ninjas that help him.

Yes, but I have to try and avoid him while I also avoid Satan from grabbing me out of the air while I'm doing the wall jump maneuver.

I had no problem taking on Doku in the game... the fucking third level blimp dude gave me more problems than him.

Beat it.

Thank fucking god.

Any strategies for those fuckers with the large swords, two forms, and what look like UT combos? Cause I can't come up with anything better than 'three hit combo, RUN LIKE HELL, repeat'.... not very ninja like, really.

Yes, but I have to try and avoid him while I also avoid Satan from grabbing me out of the air while I'm doing the wall jump maneuver.

I had no problem taking on Doku in the game... the fucking third level blimp dude gave me more problems than him.

Oh I thought you were also having a problem with Doku in the sp. The later missions are a lot of luck. Doku and Marbus can each grab you for huge damage. The main tip is to stay in the air. Doku cant grab you in the air, and you get a few invincibility when you do the y slach from a wall jump, so you can use that to avoid Marbus' grab if you time it right. It will click one time and you will get through it with like no damage.

wish i could help, the missions are outside my experience...

I'm going to work, taking a break for a bit. Maybe when I get back late I'll jump back in again.

Doing very hard and MNM may have actually been a better plan... going through those difficulties, you train yourself that one hit basically equals death, so you get forged in fire and ready to tackle the BS in the missions.

But damnit, I've completed them once, I'll do'em again. :p

I remember when HP2 came out...I played it for weeks and never beat it (it's the same thing that's in the final set of missions.) The missions are fucking tough. But i'm a much better player now, so I can't wait to give it another shot.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I remember when HP2 came out...I played it for weeks and never beat it (it's the same thing that's in the final set of missions.) The missions are fucking tough. But i'm a much better player now, so I can't wait to give it another shot.

One of the few times in my life where I was shaking of excitement when I finished a game/challenge.

Jigsaw

Banned

if you think this mission is bad wait until you see some of the shit they put in sigma/sigma plus

doku and marbus?pff, throw in alma into the mix

2012-04-08-155330ickt9.jpg

Liamario

Banned

That's just ridiculous. That's not even about challenge.
It's like someone said,
"what if we throw every boss in the game at the player. "

"you mean, like a boss rush mode?"

"NO, I mean every. single. boss. AT ONCE!"

*child faints in the background*

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I have the Hurricane Pack but honestly I haven't played through it due to XBL shutting down and having to be careful to not save over it.

I really wish MS would put a "buy the ability to get the DLC for X-box Live titles for the OG X-box on a DVD installer disc for the OG X-box" disc service up. I'd buy so much shit because of it.

Also I've never known how you're supposed to beat the stupid time limits for karma bonuses. It seems like abusing the Izuna Drop doesn't do shit for that.

That's just ridiculous. That's not even about challenge.
It's like someone said,
"what if we throw every boss in the game at the player. "

"you mean, like a boss rush mode?"

"NO, I mean every. single. boss. AT ONCE!"

*child faints in the background*

Bitch, you haven't seen anything yet. Go do that in co-op Master Ninja mode of Sigma 2. All four Greater Fiend bosses, and one of you basically has to be Rachel and twirling to glitch Alexi to even stand a chance.

Bitch, you haven't seen anything yet. Go do that in co-op Master Ninja mode of Sigma 2. All four Greater Fiend bosses, and one of you basically has to be Rachel and twirling to glitch Alexi to even stand a chance.

this is where i stopped going for the plat, heh. not gonna bother with glitches.

I still have a completely separate original Xbox with the Hurricane pack. I bought it brand new for Hurricane pack use. There probably weren't many people in Hungary to register on the original XBL at the time either :-D After not playing it for a month or two, I tried playing it again - and the DVD drive didn't work (not really a rare thing with the original Xbox), so it wasn't really worth it, but I still have it so maybe it's possible to mod it or something.

i've been owning normal and hard for so long that I forgot about boss deaths sending you back to the last save instead of at the boss. Those checkpoints really suck.

This Very Hard run is humbling. Missed a scarab in the military base (can't go back to get it), didn't get the dabilahro at the earliest point I could, dying all the time, started actually using ninpo somewhat frequently, stopped giving a crap about the fight timers, missed the 100 fiend fight in the library, been playing a legitimate 10 hours with hardly any AFK time, and I'm only on chapter 10. Good stuff!

PhatSaqs

Banned
NG & Black are easily in my top 10 games of all time.

Thank you Itagaki. Kinda sad that it'll probably never be duplicated.

I'm in chapter 11. Looks like its a swimming section (absolutely hate them). I found the handle in the ship and the first of the two artifacts.

I know that the other artifact is at the end of a very long swimming section but I want to know how to get it without using health potions. How do?

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Oh, and I forgot about those large-sword fiends, that will just straight up ignore any move you attack them with after they go red.

Vigoorian Berserkers. Probably one of the most difficult non-boss enemies in any game, ever. When I started facing those things in mission mode was when I finally stopped playing. I couldn't complain though, the game held my attention for well over a year.

Revan

I'm in chapter 11. Looks like its a swimming section (absolutely hate them). I found the handle in the ship and the first of the two artifacts.

I know that the other artifact is at the end of a very long swimming section but I want to know how to get it without using health potions. How do?

If you are playing Sigma/Sigma+ - at the bottom of the boat there is a breathing tank that will give you the ability to breathe underwater forever.

If you are playing NG/NGB - I don't think that there is an underwater breathing apparatus (I could be mistaken tho as I've never played NG/NGB)

I think it's in every version because you have to swim over to the doku fight, which also has a golden scarab on the way.

and yes, the water stage sucks ass, easily my least favorite chapter.

OmegaZero

So I found another glitch in Sigma Plus if anyone cares. Apparently it makes the Kitetsu act more like the Dragon Sword, since while you can steal souls and do most of its moves, you can't split it into two and it's UT is the Dragon Sword's UT.

EDIT: It's also repeatable, at least for me, so if anyone has a copy and wants to examine it further, they can.
The water stage was okay for me. No idea if Hard and Very Hard will change my mind.

Ryu sucks at swimming though.

Haha, Ryu doesn't approve.

In other news, Very Hard is very hard. I managed to actually beat Ch.2 Doku, but the enemies are relentless.
Can't wait for Master Ninja.

I finished VH with a full, legit 20 hours on the clock. It was...very hard.

now that I've taken such a long break, MN will be just as tough. I'll probably do another VH run for practice before I do MN, which I want to stream later this summer.

I'm having a hard time remembering the toughest parts. There were some times when I'd keep playing even though I was hungry or tired or burnt out on it and I'd end up repeating shit a million times. I think the white crab fiend challenge in the peristyle passage killed me a lot. But I also do dumb stuff like refusing to change weapons to make it easier on myself or refusing to use ninpo (I ended up using a fuck ton of ninpo, which I just don't use on normal or hard) or refusing to use potions. I had a million runs in the lava section with the ogres because I had no health and was getting screwed up on the platforming in that section constantly, but wouldn't use my potions.

Alma 2 was a bitch, expectedly. I think she's a pretty poorly designed boss fight in every mode. I swear there's a percentage of likelihood to hit with a flying swallow and knock her down, like RPG stat-style, and it's about 5%. Occasionally she stops when charging at you, so you waste the 360 UT with the dragon sword. All around, she just doesn't have a reliable time to do any damage, but not because she's tough to get in on, I can stay in and consistently attack, but it's because the game gives you the damage when it damn well feels like it based on some arbitrary stat.

pretty much all my qualms with the game got amplified to 10 zillion on this run.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wow. You can't gamesave Sigma 1. I wanted to unlock Very Hard off the bat and have the costumes. :(

Also the graphics for 2007 are good. But look bad in comparison to Black. Did they change Ayane between the two because she looks bad here. It's amazing how Team Ninja changed her in Black->Sigma->2->Sigma 2 in a good->bad->okay->Great fashion. :/

Top Bottom