• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo breaks 8 year streak, could be getting ready for a Switch 2 announcment

Is the Switch 2 announcement coming this month?

• Yes

Votes: 84 60.4%
  • No

Votes: 55 39.6%

• Total voters

GinSama

You could play physical Wii games on the Wii U no?

Nintendo pretty much always does BC where it made sense.

That's way too short. Nintendo and third parties will need time to market the hardware and software.
Really ?!? Fuck i though you couldn't lol

Robb

Gold Member
I mean, it’s been out for 7 years now. Most people who wanted one have one & if they’re not aware of a new Switch on the horizon, they likely don’t care.
I mean, while sales are slowing for sure it’s still estimated to sell 13M units by March 2025.

And they did 2.10M in Q1 (April-June). I don’t think Q2 will be vastly different, so I think it’s safe to say they’re banking on the holiday sales to be at least in the 6M range in Q3.

Sojiro

Yeah, SNES, N64, GameCube, and Switch were the Nintendo consoles without BC to their previous gen. All of their handhelds have had it too, so I would be really surprised if the Switch 2 doesn't have it, unless we see some radical change in physical media which I highly doubt will happen.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Holiday Bundles Annouced Instead 👀
Lh1VnIV.gif

Looking at the Circana threads Switch sales seem to have fallen off a cliff so I think now’s the time.

Just think, we could be seeing the next big 3D Mario in a couple of weeks!

AngelMuffin

I mean, while sales are slowing for sure it’s still estimated to sell 13M units by March 2025.

And they did 2.10M in Q1 (April-June). I don’t think Q2 will be vastly different, so I think it’s safe to say they’re banking on the holiday sales to be at least in the 6M range in Q3.
Yeah. I get it, I just think if you’ve waited 7 years to buy a Switch you’re probably not in the market for a Switch 2. I mean, it’s the biggest open secret in gaming at the moment,

Woopah

Generally the only time Nintendo doesn't do BC is if there's a drastic format change. Which shouldn't be the case for Switch to Switch 2.
Looking at the Circana threads Switch sales seem to have fallen off a cliff so I think now’s the time.

Just think, we could be seeing the next big 3D Mario in a couple of weeks!
Well we have the direct shipments from Nintendo. How steep would a decline have to be to count a "fallen off a cliff"?

Tams

Nintendo has acknowledged that they will reveal hardware this quarter. Seems like they're following a similar rollout to the Switch 1 reveal.

So yes October sounds reasonable

Nope, they only said this financial year, which ends at the end of March in Japan. The last quarter won't start until January.

Which lines up pretty well. They'll want to sell Switches over Christmas and New Year (in Asia, all that money from relatives), also to reduce some of the stock.

That would the. Allow for anything from an April/May launch to an October/November one. They've done both in the past.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Next year, they won't want to harm Switch holidays sales.

This line of thinking gets trotted out a lot but at this point in the life cycle it just makes no sense to me.

If think if you are Nintendo who hasn't always had the best success with follow up consoles...why da fuk would you sacrifice potential sales of your new consoles for your old one? You want all momentum and build up going into your new console...even 6 months out.

Robb

Gold Member
This line of thinking gets trotted out a lot but at this point in the life cycle it just makes no sense to me.

If think if you are Nintendo who hasn't always had the best success with follow up consoles...why da fuk would you sacrifice potential sales of your new consoles for your old one? You want all momentum and build up going into your new console...even 6 months out.
I don’t necessarily disagree. The main irk for me is that Nintendo themselves are estimating to sell a surprisingly high amount of units, 13.5M, by March 2025, which means they also expect to sell a lot during this holidays (Q3). I think this might be the latest data we have:
OC82NQK.png

Had they estimated, like, 9M I think things would be a lot more certain. But they’re going to need pretty great holiday sales to reach 13.5M.

But then again they could also reveal the Switch 2 and then do heavy price cuts of the current Switch alongside bundles in time for the holidays.

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
I don’t necessarily disagree. The main irk for me is that Nintendo themselves are estimating to sell a surprisingly high amount of units, 13.5M, by March 2025, which means they also expect to sell a lot during this holidays (Q3). I think this might be the latest data we have:
OC82NQK.png

Had they estimated, like, 9M I think things would be a lot more certain. But they’re going to need pretty great holiday sales to reach 13.5M.

But then again they could also reveal the Switch 2 and then do heavy price cuts of the current Switch alongside bundles in time for the holidays.

Aren't Switch sales kinda dwindling? Lets face it...it's not exactly like Nintendo has killer sales around the Holidays anyway.

This whole strategy seems kinda bizarre to me. They are going to try to eek out some last sales of their old platform immediately before they announce and launch there next platform? Still don't understand why it isn't launching in the fall anyway...

This feels like a very unconfident strategy. Instead of gung ho it's half foot in half foot out.

BlackTron

Aren't Switch sales kinda dwindling? Lets face it...it's not exactly like Nintendo has killer sales around the Holidays anyway.

This whole strategy seems kinda bizarre to me. They are going to try to eek out some last sales of their old platform immediately before they announce and launch there next platform? Still don't understand why it isn't launching in the fall anyway...

This feels like a very unconfident strategy. Instead of gung ho it's half foot in half foot out.

Nintendo's fiscal year ends March 31...which is why that graph is labeled with two years in each row. I think Q3 in this chart refers to holiday sales. Holiday has always been their biggest period.

I agree with everybody saying Nintendo does not want to castrate this holiday by going out of their way to tell everybody to wait for Switch 2 stuff instead.

BlackTron

This sounds like the most elegant solution but I'm not sure how badly they feel the need to discount it to sell it. Indeed, if they felt a need to cut the price to sell as many as they hope, they might not want to make it look any less attractive with the Switch 2 announcement. It almost sounds like Wii U posturing to do this.

Switch 1 just isn't flogging enough for it to seem that likely to me. It feels like any price cut would be either very small or more likely come in the form of intangible goods (two digital games instead of one).

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
If it boosts switch games I'm day one.
I’m on Day 1 so long as it plays physical Switch games regardless if they’re boosted. But I am holding off on playing a few games in hopes of them looking better on a switch 2. I hope it launches with an OLED screen. I’m still rocking a launch switch.

Crayon

I’m on Day 1 so long as it plays physical Switch games regardless if they’re boosted. But I am holding off on playing a few games in hopes of them looking better on a switch 2. I hope it launches with an OLED screen. I’m still rocking a launch switch.

I don't think there is any way it launches with oled. If only because it's nintendo and they want something in their pocket to make you buy it again in a couple years.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m still holding out hope the switch 2 is VR. You can switch between VR and handheld mode. If anyone can bring VR to more houses, it’s Nintendo. But it has to be an option, not forced.

sachos

Make it BC. Make it improve BC games just like the XSX/PS5 do with XO/PS4 games. Make a "Pro" home console only version for those that never use it portable mode. Its GG.

Robb

Gold Member
Aren't Switch sales kinda dwindling? Let’s face it...it's not exactly like Nintendo has killer sales around the Holidays anyway.
It’s definitely slowing down, which is expected. But the curve is looking pretty steady, so I’m not sure about dwindling. But we’ll have to see what they managed for Q2.

The holidays (Q3 in the table) is by far their biggest quarter every year.

Last edited:
They did say they will show the successor within this fiscal year, which I believed ends around March 2025. More than likely a reveal around that time and then a release date around fall of 2025, just in time for the Holidays.

Emedan

Hmm, agreed, why make consumers buy a switch 1 instead of a switch 2 for 100 dollars more?

Top Bottom