• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.
CVIII used an advanced mapper (think like the SNES special chips) which could be complicating things... but more likely, it's simply being held back in case this first mini does well.

(edit) Looking at this list again... StarTropics, Bubble Bobble, Gradius, and Zelda 2... It's like my B-team game dream on top of the great A games on there.

What...

univbee

What what I liked the first FF on my NES :(

>_____>

We all did but it is super-janky and absolutely riddled with glitches (most items which are "strong against [enemy type]" arent) and puzzling design flaws (e.g. there is a spell, AMUT, which quite literally does nothing, because no enemy has mute as an ability), most of which are resolved in the GBA/PSP/Mobile remakes.

Wow actually seeing some news stations report on this. It's...kind of shocking really. And by the right names and everything.

I guess Pokemon GO made it so that reporters can't deny talking about Nintendo.

oti

Banned
Germany is pretty weird right now. It first launched on Amazon for 69,99€. GameStop sold it for 59,99€ for a while until they upped the price to 69,99€. And now it is sold out on Amazon.

RedBoot

With all the Konami stuff I'm surprised they didn't toss in Bomberman Nes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Classic_NES_Series_games#List_of_games

I bet Nintendo loves and misses the guy.
Save him from Konami someday please.

If the (inevitable) SNES Mini has 4 controller slots, then Super Bomberman 1 or 2 is a given. Secret of Mana and Vegas Stakes would be as well, since those would be all the 3+ player games that Nintendo would likely have access to.

If the (inevitable) SNES Mini has 4 controller slots, then Super Bomberman 1 or 2 is a given. Secret of Mana and Vegas Stakes would be as well, since those would be all the 3+ player games that Nintendo would likely have access to.

They'll probably wait until N64 Mini (if it ever comes, since N64 games are good remake/enhanced-port fodder, but then so was SNES not so long ago (see the GBA library)) to do 4P and possibly include one of those three Bomberman titles. Are any of them on VC?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
brPht5s.png

Wow, I'm in for a controller! It would be a real fun way to play NES Remix!

I'm wondering if there are additional buttons on the back for OS?

RedBoot

They'll probably wait until N64 Mini to do 4P and possibly include one of those three Bomberman titles. Are any of them on VC?

As far as I know, Bomberman Hero's the only non-TG-16 Bombergame on the Virtual Console.

Normally I wouldn't suggest any non-VC game would be on one of these, but if Nintendo expands past the NES, they'll likely have to get stuff that wasn't on the VC. The N64 wouldn't be able to reach 30 games otherwise (though they could certainly sell it with less).

I also have trouble thinking Secret of Mana would be on the SNES Mini if you couldn't play with 3 people. Of course, that would most likely mean they'd just leave it off, sadly.

Pinky

Banned
I am excited to see the UI when this boots up. I hope they go the extra mile like Rare did with Rare Replay.

I'd like to see them go with a plain and simple 8-bit interface. I think the UI should be reflective of the NES's capabilities. It would make the experience more authentic and rich with nostalgia. It would be weird turning on the NES Mini and seeing a high-def interface on screen.

EBreda

Does anyone predict it will come to Amazon.com (us) today?

It's up in other countries already... I'm going to keep an eye on it for sure.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

We've all been F5ing furiously for the last 24 hours.

Danneee

Hah, Spelbutiken in Sweden are charging $87 for this.
I'll just wait for a better deal, it won't be hard to come by.

Holy... thats actually the cheapest here. Other stores want around $150. This will bomb so hard here if they don't adjust that later.

Lettuce

So there is no way to add more games to this device then....and its going to use emulation right?.......so how long before someone rips the guts out and sticks a Raspberry Pi inside it and unlock all the NES library!!??

To me this is a great start, but please allow the ability to add more games and for god sake dont use the VC emulator!!. Also why they heck didnt the add a cart slot to play your original games!!

Normally I wouldn't suggest any non-VC game would be on one of these, but if Nintendo expands past the NES, they'll likely have to get stuff that wasn't on the VC. The N64 wouldn't be able to reach 30 games otherwise (though they could certainly sell it with less).

Well considering N64 titles are much more expensive on the VC (so Nintendo deems them to have much more value) I'm very doubtful they would sell a N64-mini with 30 games if they want to keep an appealing price point. More likely they'd settle for 10-15 games tops.

So there is no way to add more games to this device then....and its going to use emulation right?.......so how long before someone rips the guts out and sticks a Raspberry Pi inside it and unlock all the NES library!!??

Well go ahead? You'd be replacing everything inside with a Raspberry Pi, including the controller ports.

To me this is a great start, but please allow the ability to add more games and for god sake dont use the VC emulator!!. Also why they heck didnt the add a cart slot to play your original games!!

It wouldn't look like an NES - the cartridge connector is probably as wide as the console. And it's not an actual NES. They're selling a $60 closed box with a controller and 30 games, not a fully functioning console.

Pinky

Banned

1- An NES cartridge is probably about as big, if not bigger, than the Mini itself. No way it would fit.

2- Nintendo probably didn't feel it was worth it, considering NES games/cartridges are pretty much isolated to collectors and enthusiasts circles. It would also wrongfully suggest that NES games are physically available at retail.

Lettuce

Well go ahead? You'd be replacing everything inside with a Raspberry Pi, including the controller ports.

Shouldnt have to remove the ports, the Wii mote port wiring diagrams are available on the net and wouldnt be too must of an issue to wire them up to the GPIO pins on the RPi

spectator

1- An NES cartridge is probably about as big, if not bigger, than the Mini itself. No way it would fit.

2- Nintendo probably didn't feel it was worth it, considering NES games/cartridges are pretty much isolated to collectors and enthusiasts circles. It would also wrongfully suggest that NES games are physically available at retail.

It would be cool if they included a smaller card slot and then they could sell multi-game expansion cards at retail. ***Add 10 more classics for just $9.99***, anyone?

Jesus I didn't enough sleep before this news dropped and couldn't math. Yep, far better value than buying all these on VC obviously. I'm in.

AgeEighty

I don't think you're getting who this device is for. It's not really targeted at gaming enthusiasts, but at people who played Nintendo as kids and haven't kept up with gaming much since. To that end, keeping it simpler is best.

javac

I don't know why but I came to the realization that this normally would have been something that Nintendo would have revealed in a Nintendo Direct, we haven't had one in a while :(

Yeah but the Genesis mini that came out a couple years ago had a cartridge slot in conjunction with pre installed Sega games, and you cant buy those very easily. It would have without a doubt driven the price of NES carts up higher than they already are, but it still would have been a smart move to make an official competitor to the Retron's. This seems short sighted to only have 30 of the most common NES games locked to a system and no ability to upgrade it via Virtual Console or to add your own carts.

I feel like i am the audience for a move like this from Nintendo, but with the way it is being handled has me little interested when i can play most of those games in HD on the Virtual Console, or just play my cartridges in blurry 240i. This really could have been so cool if it just had a slot, or if they had just gone the extra mile and made a full on official 3 in 1 NES/SNES/64 box. That would have been dope.

Lettuce

I don't think you're getting who this device is for. It's not really targeted at gaming enthusiasts, but at people who played Nintendo as kids and haven't kept up with gaming much since. To that end, keeping it simpler is best.

Heck im an enthusiasts, i own a 2 x PAL NES's, 2 x NTSC NES's, 3 x AV Famicom's with about 50 boxed games in total and im getting one of these devices as im use other retro heads will.

Just pre-ordered a PAL version, does this mean the games will run at 50hz?

AgeEighty

Heck im an enthusiasts, i own a 2 x PAL NES's, 2 x NTSC NES's, 3 x AV Famicom's with about 50 boxed games in total and im getting one of these devices as im use other retro heads will

Well yes, I'm not saying it doesn't have any appeal for gamers, only that we aren't its primary target from Nintendo's perspective.

Yeah but the Genesis mini that came out a couple years ago had a cartridge slot in conjunction with pre installed Sega games, and you cant buy those very easily. It would have without a doubt driven the price of NES carts up higher than they already are, but it still would have been a smart move to make an official competitor to the Retron's. This seems short sighted to only have 30 of the most common NES games locked to a system and no ability to upgrade it via Virtual Console or to add your own carts.

I feel like i am the audience for a move like this from Nintendo, but with the way it is being handled has me little interested when i can play most of those games in HD on the Virtual Console, or just play my cartridges in blurry 240i. This really could have been so cool if it just had a slot, or if they had just gone the extra mile and made a full on official 3 in 1 NES/SNES/64 box. That would have been dope.

I feel like I'm in the middle, because I'm part of the market that wants this device as-is but also wants it a bit more expanded, and I understand that market is much bigger than the market of people who would want this device to also play existing NES carts.

I really think making this NES emulator box also able to play existing carts would've been amazing, and it would make it both a mass-market item and a niche-market item all at once. I know it wouldn't be perfect, but I'd definitely buy this over a Retron if it gave me an option to play my NES games on my HDTV in an officially supported capacity.

I think some of you have to realize this isn't a release for people interested in buying game carts, connecting to wifi, downloading VC games, etc.

This literally is for the person who grew up with a NES...probably forgot about games all together..or at least hasn't owned a system since NES or SNES. This is a simple all inclusive package for the mass market to enjoy their childhood NES memories.

It's like the best holiday gift. Everything you need is in that box. It has almost all the games anyone average joe would ever want in a NES (aside from California Games!!!).

Simple. No set up. Your mom and dad can use it and have a nostalgic blast.

jmizzal

Amazon doesnt charge until its shipped right?

I might preorder mine there and then change it to Best buy once its up.

Phoenixus

I hope controller extension cables become more frequent after this one releases, I'd like to use either my Wii Classic or SNES Classic but the cables are too short. What's around at the moment is a bit too pricey.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Maybe it's just me, but I would replace FF1 with Rad Racer any day; I can play better versions of FF1 anywhere.
Me too.

I'd replace these games with something else personally...
DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE
FINAL FANTASY®
NINJA GAIDEN
SUPER C™
TECMO BOWL
Ice Climber™

Maybe Ironsword: Wizards and Warriors II, Rad Racer, RoadBlasters, Dragon Warrior, (I really want all 4 NES games in one place. If not just the first because of its history.) Batman, (Maybe) and some others I can't think of.

These are the games I'm most excited for:
Balloon Fight™
BUBBLE BOBBLE
Donkey Kong™
Donkey Kong Jr. ™
Dr. Mario™
Kirby’s Adventure™
Mario Bros. ™
StarTropics™
Super Mario Bros.™
Super Mario Bros. ™ 2
Super Mario Bros. ™ 3
The Legend of Zelda™
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link™

Kirby is a nice inclusion given that it was the biggest NES game made with a huge circuit board twice the size of all other games and pushes the graphics to near-SNES level.

Hopefully they make a sequel box and StarTropics II (Even if it completely ruins what made the original unique) and the other games I mentioned can be on it. Top the inclusion of all three Mario and both Zelda with all four Dragon Warrior games. Someone get Square on the line. And hopefully they can work with Rare for the hopefully inevitable SNES version(s).

Comet

Kirby is a nice inclusion given that it was the biggest NES game made with a huge circuit board twice the size of all other games and pushes the graphics to near-SNES level.

It really was a feat huh? I remember playing it when my friends were busy with their SNESs and thinking this game looked just as good as some of the stuff they played.

Pinky

Banned

I get what you're saying and I would've loved to have had the option to add additional titles via wifi and play original NES cartridges. However, as some have already pointed out, Nintendo's aim with this device is to offer fans and consumers who grew up playing the NES with a plug-and-play device that is super easy to set up and jump into right away. Now, if the Mini proves to be a huge success and Nintendo gets an overwhelming surge of feedback requesting these features, we could possibly see future iterations of the Mini with these features included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom