• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct: new presentation (over) (Wii U / 3DS)

FWIW, there was an exec at one point who said GCN VC was coming. But I think she was talking out of turn or didn't know what she was talking about.

Didn't hear that, but clearly remember Nintendo Direct in which they mentioned N64 and GBA games in Wii U VC. Hell, I still have a Wii U/3DS promotional booklet which says the same about Virtual Console.

It pisses me off how ignored Pilotwings 64 is by Nintendo. No Wii VC release, no Smash Bros. love (while the SNES and 3DS games get love), etc. It makes me wonder if there's something more to the Pilotwings 64 story other than Nintendo just not releasing it. Technical issues, rights issues, etc. No idea.

But it saddens me because it is by far the best Pilotwings game. I played it more than Mario 64 when the N64 launched.

Agreed. It's by far one of the most progressive and forward-thinking games Nintendo made in the 90s. A huge open world to explore in a variety of ways? The way the world was setup in many ways served as a template for the modern day GTA games.

I'm with you in thinking that Nintendo's current philosophy regarding controlling a player's movements could likely conflict with the design aesthetic of Pilotwings 64 giving such free-wheeling control. It's a shame too because it is still one of the most enjoyable N64 games to play even today due to its laid-back nature, atmosphere (lots of great overcast or snowy environments) and variety (something that the latest Pilotwings really lacked).

There could very well be a legal issue with the developer at the time, Paradigm Entertainment, as well as the composer Dan Hess. But it's the one game that I would absolutely love to enjoy on my couch in 1080p. Nintendo simply doesn't make games like they did on the N64 anymore. Now they have everything so focused and trimmed that there's no latitude for players to just discover or explore the game world.

tebunker

Banned
I would just be happy with some relative dates for spring of next year, and some movement on things that have already been announced to the press.

I don't need new announcements or games I just want good info on stuff we know about.

Honestly DS VC on WiiU would be enough for me but it seems like NOA wants to pretend it was never said

rjinaz

Got my Xenoblade Chronicles X on my avatar to show support! Here's hoping for a release date, but I'll take anything.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Got my Xenoblade Chronicles X on my avatar to show support! Here's hoping for a release date, but I'll take anything.

I think we'll get a release date at E3. It's likely going to be a Fall 2015 game.

I'd love to see what they've been working on with Splatoon.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any clock counter until the ND?
t1415224800z4.png

rjinaz

I think we'll get a release date at E3. It's likely going to be a Fall 2015 game.

Agreed, that's most likely. Some new clips today is what I am realistically expecting and maybe a release window.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I expect:

2nd round of Amiibo figures (they ship 12/31)
highlights of Amiibo features in titles other than Smash
Bayonetta 2 DLC
Full Smash Trailer with some DLC teasers
Captain Toad launch Trailer
MK8 DLC preview
eShop Holiday sale
Final Pokemon ORAS trailer/preview
Teasers of Splatoon and Yoshi's Woolly World
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate something, something

I'd like:

-SMT X FE teaser revealing actually two titles (3DS & Wii U) with the 3DS being FE inspired and Wii U being a full fledged JRPG complete with Persona characters
-Dates for Xenoblade Chronicles and Splatoon
-Preview of upcoming digital titles (specifically Gone Home. my PC sucks)
-Something for 3DS owners (that are not into ORAS) for the spring
-StarFox Teaser
-HD remake of Luigi's Mansion featuring the 3DS sequel and some content from the Capcom arcade

I could't conceive:

-A new preview in which Devil's 3rd looks damn good & polished
-Revival of other doomed projects: Timespitters 4, Human Heads Prey 2 as a Metroid Bounty Hunter spin-off, etc
-anything from Capcom for Wii U I'd actually want
-Igarashi X Retro for the only thing they are good for together
-Suda 51
-Kojima Pro Remake of Hybrid Heaven on WiiU with Fox Engine
-New 3DS info & release date
No

emb

I mean, if you can make a gif, you can run a company and start a family. No need for gif makes to stick around the lowly Gaf. Traded in the a for an i.

Axass

That seems so far away for a game originally scheduled for the end of 2014. I think we're gonna see it around Summer time. Especially since StarFox and Zelda are probably Fall.

I feel like people don't realize how long Monolith takes because Xenoblade was already done by the time people took notice.

There was a point in Xenoblade's development where they were ready and willing to cut a massive swath of the game (apparently almost everything from Fallen Arm on) to make the release date until Nintendo told them to just finish the game and not worry about it. The game was delayed about a year.

I am going in to XBX fully expecting something similar to happen.

Frolow

Banned
I feel like people don't realize how long Monolith takes because Xenoblade was already done by the time people took notice.

There was a point in Xenoblade's development where they were ready and willing to cut a massive swath of the game (apparently almost everything from Fallen Arm on) to make the release date until Nintendo told them to just finish the game and not worry about it. The game was delayed about a year.

XBX has been in development since at least 2012. A mid-to-late 2015 release would make sense.

Lunar15

Add in HD development, and you're sure to get some delays.

Unrelated Note: I hope we see the Hyrule and F-Zero tracks for MK8.

Kouriozan

What I want :

- Splatoon solo campaign/more multi modes
- Mario Maker, just more of everything
- Amiibo features in other games
- Reveal the 2 new characters of Majora's Mask DLC in Hyrule Warriors
- Xenoblade Chronicle X worldwide release in June~August (keeping Zelda as the big Wii U holiday game)
- Smash Wii U/3DS DLC packs, new characters/stages/music/modes (Break the Target pls), if you pre-buy them you get some new costumes (like MK8/Hyrule Warrios and Mario Golf 3DS)
- Majora's Mask 3DS FINALLY revealed, we know it's coming Nintendo, getting some N3DS enhancements

Of course I'm looking forward to other stuff but I'll be super happy with those.

I just assumed that the 5 years since xenoblade means they took that into account from the get-go this time.

TheMoon

That delay already happened, in case you forgot.

Zero²

Yeah, plus they are making Xenocross with their future projects in mind, since its their first HD game. We can only think that their next game will come way faster, if they actually have a chance in this hardware.

All this talk about Majora's Mask 3DS but wouldn't it be much better to get a fully original 3D Zelda on the system? I loved ALBW but I want a real sequel to OoT/MM that lets me explore a new world.

Zero²;137455543 said:
Yeah, plus they are making Xenocross with their future projects in mind, since its their first HD game. We can only think that their next game will come way faster, if they actually have a chance in this hardware.

Even if they don't, seeing Xenostuff as a next-gen title near-launch wouldn't be the worst thing.

Kouriozan

All this talk about Majora's Mask 3DS but wouldn't it be much better to get a fully original 3D Zelda on the system? I loved ALBW but I want a real sequel to OoT/MM that lets me explore a new world.

Majora's Mask sequel, that's why it's taking a long time to come :p

TheMoon

MM3DS can be outsourced easily (Grezzo) while main EAD3 finishes up Zelda U. That also plugs the Zelda hole on handhelds before they can jump into the next original handheld installment (maybe planned for close to the next handheld generation launch)

TunaLover

I just want Monolith refine its graphic engine in order to 'hide' better the pop-up, some objects just jumped to the screen when you were only about 3 meters away. Good thing they used a method to objects start appearing gradually (don't know what's the technical name)

XBX has been in development since at least 2012. A mid-to-late 2015 release would make sense.

I know you said "at least 2012", but Xenoblade was done in 2010 in Japan, so I would assume they started immediately on Xenoblade X or shortly thereafter. 4-5 years should be plenty of time.

Frolow

Banned
I know you said "at least 2012", but Xenoblade was done in 2010 in Japan, so I would assume they started immediately on Xenoblade X or shortly thereafter. 4-5 years should be plenty of time.

I thought it was released in 2011 in Japan? Looks like I was wrong, so development should have started around in 2011 at least. That's been plenty of time for them to hit a 2015 release date.

TheMoon

I thought it was released in 2011 in Japan? Looks like I was wrong, so development should have started around in 2011 at least. That's been plenty of time for them to hit a 2015 release date.

Yup, Xenoblade came out in Summer 2010. I vividly remember jamming out to the four disc soundtrack while dreaming about localization announcements! :)

maxcriden

They need to stop saying things like that. First N64, then DS, then GCN and we still have absolutely none of those three.

I think the GCN mention was long before N64 or DS, FWIW. But yeah, I don't expect to see any of these anytime soon, and not GCN on Wii U at all.

Didn't hear that, but clearly remember Nintendo Direct in which they mentioned N64 and GBA games in Wii U VC. Hell, I still have a Wii U/3DS promotional booklet which says the same about Virtual Console.

Yep. I think that was the Jan. 2013 Direct when they dropped all the bombs.

DNAbro

Well one requires significantly more work and resources.

Finite resources, really.

Flagship no longer exists - or it does, but it's part of the Zelda core team now, so the number of people that can design a Zelda game from the ground up is probably pretty low. Wii U Zelda is likely all-hands-on-deck since WWHD and ALBW finished, Grezzo is a good port house but they probably don't have the chops to make a new original Zelda on their own.

They could, however, take the work done on OoT3D and parlay that into Majora's Mask 3D fairly easily.

I would much prefer a fully original 3D Zelda on the 3DS, but like others have said, that would require a lot more work/resources on Nintendo's part. I'm not a big fan of Majora's Mask personally, but I would still buy a 3D remake of it.

Yeah, it came out in 2010 in Japan, 2011 in EU, and 2012 in NA. So they've had at least 4 years by now assuming they started by the end of 2010. I am hoping for a summer 2015 release for Xenoblade X, but we'll see.

What I would truly love would be a worldwide release at the same time, but I'm not getting my hopes up about that at all.

Top Bottom