• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - December 2011

It's the circle of GAF...

It is interesting that the Club Nintendo site is still down -- there were some odd reports about its update that I'm waiting to confirm...

Anything to do with making games available for purchase directly online, as per the announcements at the investor meeting earlier in the year? Adding a webshop to the CN site?

@MUWANdo

Banned
quoting myself for an answer

It's easily one of the better third-party GB/C games, but it *is* hard (although savestates help, obviously), and the small screen size may bug you. I still like it a hell of a lot more than Metroid 2, put it that way.

beje

Banned
It's easily one of the better third-party GB/C games, but it *is* hard (although savestates help, obviously), and the small screen size may bug you. I still like it a hell of a lot more than Metroid 2, put it that way.

Thanks, I'll give it a chance then.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
New info from the EU Nintendo Channel -

vYU92.png

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software

• 3D Classics: Kid Icarus (Nintendo | €? | £?) Upcoming (01/05)

Wii | WiiWare

• Football Up! (EnjoyUp Games | ? Points) Upcoming (12/22)
  • Paint Splash! (Knapnok Games | 500 Points) Upcoming (12/15)

Nintendo DSi | DSiWare

• Make Up & Style (Cypronia | 500 Points | €5.00 | £4.50) Upcoming (01/12)
  • Antipole (Saturine Games | ? Points | €? | £?) Upcoming (01/05)
  • Castle Conqueror: Heroes (CIRCLE Entertainment | 500 Points | €5.00 | £4.50) Upcoming (12/29)
  • Flipper 2: Flush the Goldfish (Engine Software | 500 Points | €5.00 | £4.50) Upcoming (12/29)
  • Commando: Steel Disaster (Cinemax | 800 Points | €8.00 | £7.20) Upcoming (12/22)
  • Cake Ninja (Cypronia | 500 Points | €5.00 | £4.50) Upcoming (12/15)

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Hey, everyone...

I'm trying to identify all DSiWare titles that were previous retail releases -or- that were extracted from retail releases. (Generally, such DSiWare titles will have a notation on their eShop page, noting that the title was previously available at retail in some form).

I've made notations on the Club Nintendo Coin Spreadsheet, and I'm including a brief summary in this post. If you know of any titles I didn't list, please let me know.

PREVIOUSLY RELEASED AT RETAIL
Animal Boxing
Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ
Need for Speed: Nitro-X (may have been cut down)
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords (no voice over in DSiWare release?)
Real Soccer 2009

EXTRACTED FROM PREVIOUS RETAIL RELEASE
Anonymous Notes Chapter 1 - From The Abyss -
Anonymous Notes Chapter 2 - From The Abyss -
Bird and Beans (from WarioWare GBA)
Battle of Giants: Dinosaurs Fight for Survival
Battle of Giants: Dragons Bronze Edition
Battle of Giants: Mutant Insects Revenge
Brain Age Express: Arts & Letters
Brain Age Express: Math
Brain Age Express: Sudoku
Bejeweled Twist
Bookworm
Clubhouse Games Express: Card Classics
Clubhouse Games Express: Family Favorites
Clubhouse Games Express: Strategy Pack
Electroplankton Beatnes
Electroplankton Hanenbow
Electroplankton Lumiloop
Electroplankton Luminarrow
Electroplankton Marine-Crystals
Electroplankton Nanocarp
Electroplankton Rec-Rec
Electroplankton Sun-Animalcule
Electroplankton Trapy
Electroplankton Varvoice
Ivy the Kiwi? Mini
Master of Illusion Express: Deep Psyche
Master of Illusion Express: Funny Face
Master of Illusion Express: Shuffle Games
Paper Airplane Chase (WarioWare GBA)
Plants vs. Zombies
Puzzle League Express
Scrabble Classic
Scrabble Slam!
Scrabble Tools
True Swing Golf Express

Other Notes...

Later combined and updated as DS retail title:
Art Academy: First Semester
Art Academy: Second Semester

All New Material:
Master of Illusion Express: Matchmaker
Master of Illusion Express: Mind Probe
Master of Illusion Express: Psychic Camera

@MUWANdo

Banned
System Flaw Recruit was a retail release in one region and a DSiWare release in another.

Most of the GO series (I think? one of those Japanese import series, anyway) ended up getting a retail release on a single cartridge along with a bunch of new games.

I'm guessing most of the Ubisoft Petz! releases were once retail games, too.

zigg

System Flaw Recruit was a retail release in one region and a DSiWare release in another.
Actually, in my region (U.S.), it was on the shelf as "System Flaw", and Recruit became available on DSiWare later--and it's my understanding the latter is a cut-down version.

Maestro! made a full retail appearance in Europe (I imported it), and I think the DSiWare Maestro! was supposed to be an "episode 1" thing...?

@DavidDayton
Sujin Taisen Number Battles
was a retail title in Japan as far as I know (Extracted Category I think).

(And it's one of the best and most addicting DSi Ware Games!!)

Hey, everyone...

I'm trying to identify all DSiWare titles that were previous retail releases -or- that were extracted from retail releases. (Generally, such DSiWare titles will have a notation on their eShop page, noting that the title was previously available at retail in some form).

I've made notations on the Club Nintendo Coin Spreadsheet, and I'm including a brief summary in this post. If you know of any titles I didn't list, please let me know.

PREVIOUSLY RELEASED AT RETAIL
Animal Boxing
Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ
Need for Speed: Nitro-X (may have been cut down)
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords (no voice over in DSiWare release?)
Real Soccer 2009

EXTRACTED FROM PREVIOUS RETAIL RELEASE
Anonymous Notes Chapter 1 - From The Abyss -
Anonymous Notes Chapter 2 - From The Abyss -
Bird and Beans (from WarioWare GBA)
Battle of Giants: Dinosaurs Fight for Survival
Battle of Giants: Dragons Bronze Edition
Battle of Giants: Mutant Insects Revenge
Brain Age Express: Arts & Letters
Brain Age Express: Math
Brain Age Express: Sudoku
Bejeweled Twist
Bookworm
Clubhouse Games Express: Card Classics
Clubhouse Games Express: Family Favorites
Clubhouse Games Express: Strategy Pack
Electroplankton Beatnes
Electroplankton Hanenbow
Electroplankton Lumiloop
Electroplankton Luminarrow
Electroplankton Marine-Crystals
Electroplankton Nanocarp
Electroplankton Rec-Rec
Electroplankton Sun-Animalcule
Electroplankton Trapy
Electroplankton Varvoice
Ivy the Kiwi? Mini
Master of Illusion Express: Deep Psyche
Master of Illusion Express: Funny Face
Master of Illusion Express: Shuffle Games
Paper Airplane Chase (WarioWare GBA)
Plants vs. Zombies
Puzzle League Express
Scrabble Classic
Scrabble Slam!
Scrabble Tools
True Swing Golf Express

Other Notes...

Later combined and updated as DS retail title:
Art Academy: First Semester
Art Academy: Second Semester

All New Material:
Master of Illusion Express: Matchmaker
Master of Illusion Express: Mind Probe
Master of Illusion Express: Psychic Camera

Chronos Twins was originally a retail game in Europe. Commando: Steel Disaster was a retail game in the US, and it's being released for DSiware in Europe next week.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Added notation.
Most of the GO series (I think? one of those Japanese import series, anyway) ended up getting a retail release on a single cartridge along with a bunch of new games.
Just looking for North American releases at the moment, though -- I should have specified that. The GO series was only on cart in Japan, right?

I'm guessing most of the Ubisoft Petz! releases were once retail games, too.
I'm not sure if the DSiWare titles are new bits of software or conversions from retail games, though -- anyone know for sure?

Maestro! Jump in Music
That was only retail in Europe, right?

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Nintendo's Q1 release schedule revealed two new eShop titles: Kirby's Block Ball and Jett Rocket Super Surf.

L4mHK.jpg

It also shows La Mulana as a 2012 Q1 WiiWare title.

EDIT: Kirby's Block Ball was a GameBoy title. Not sure if it's a VC title, a 3D Classics or a remake? Seems weird that they would list a VC title in with the rest being all new titles.

Roto13

NightSky! Was that announced for 3DS before? Because I was a little disappointed when the WiiWare version never happened.

Also why is Zen Pinball apparently taking until Q1? It was supposed to come in November.

@MUWANdo

Banned
NightSky! Was that announced for 3DS before? Because I was a little disappointed when the WiiWare version never happened.

Yeah, he announced it a while back, and said it wouldn't feature stereoscopic 3D, but some more recent tweets suggest that it will have 3D visuals after all.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Is there a reason you guys still haven't downloaded Zen Pinball?
It's the best game *exclusively* on the eShop (not that it's saying much) and it's just €5.

Maybe it's for the same reason I still haven't downloaded Donkey Kong...

Dash Kappei

You know Pushmo/Pullblox is on the eShop now, right?

Yes, I know.

:p

Being serious, there are tons of competent puzzlers on DSiware and while Pullblox is great I'm much more inclined to single out something more unique like Zen Pinball (Pinball Pulse is also not available on the eShop's DSiware section) which also has a great, GREAT price, looks fabulous, sports great online features and one of the best S3D on the system.

Chopper

Yes, I know.

:p

Being serious, there are tons of competent puzzlers on DSiware and while Pullblox is great I'm much more inclined to single out something more unique like Zen Pinball (Pinball Pulse is also not available on the eShop's DSiware section) which also has a great, GREAT price, looks fabulous, sports great online features and one of the best S3D on the system.

So it's....pinball?

jgkspsx

It's not out in the US and won't be until next year. There's already a cart game (Pinball Hall of Fame) with better physics and real (and better) tables. And all the tables in this come from the existing PSN and XBLA games.

And frankly us pinball nuts are a tiny minority.

wsippel

Banned
It's not out in the US and won't be until next year. There's already a cart game (Pinball Hall of Fame) with better physics and real (and better) tables. And all the tables in this come from the existing PSN and XBLA games.

I consider myself a pinball nut, and I actually kinda like Zen Pinball's kinda floaty, but still predictable physics. I also prefer their made up fantasy tables, as "real" tables only serve to hold video game pinball back. Either way, the new thing by the Hall of Fame guys is also coming to 3DS sometime next year.

Dash Kappei

I own both Pinball Hall of Fame (Gottlieb PAL and Williams NTSC) on Wii, plus Williams on PS360.
Farsight Studios is the king of pinball videogames. Unfortunately the 3DS version was clearly rushed out and, it breaks my heart, pretty shitty (broken 3D, bad framerate) and of awful value (only 8 tables for $30 iirc and it lacks two of the best)
I've always been critical to Zen Studios and its ball's physics plus the majority of tables are pretty crap.
Here we have Zen Pinball 3D that I've bought on a whim just to support the genre, and as it turns out 2 out of the 4 tables (DLC incoming) are pretty good (1 decent and 1 crap) and, more importantly, the physics are better (yes, try it yourself!) then the HD counteparts (let's not even talk about the awful iOS version) and do a better simulation of bumpers, table's verticality and has less invisible rails and prederminate reaction (shame on El Dorado's skill shog tho). Far from perfect, still much far behind Farsight Studios' work (can't wait for Pinball Arcade!) also in camera's work (only cam5 is really useful out of eight cams!). It's a good game, cheap, still fairly unique genre, with online, impressive as a "3D *can* enhance gameplay" showoff and fairly priced.
Give it a chance.

Unless on a big screen I don't think I'll ever want to go back to S3D-less pinball games, it adds so much!

Pretty sure it's just the original Game boy version of Kirby's Block Ball, as it's already been available on the JP Virtual Console for awhile.

That being said, the eShop lineup for next year looks pretty great.

It's a VC release of the original GB Kirby's Block Ball. Jesus Christ, does nobody here outside of me know anything about the Kirby series!?

I know what the game is.
I just figured that since they are listing it with all these other games that it wasn't just a straight port.
So sue me.
:(

I know what the game is.
I just figured that since they are listing it with all these other games that it wasn't just a straight port.
So sue me.
:(

It's not just you, I keep hearing this being stated everywhere! Everyone seems to think it's a new Kirby game! and it pisses me off!

It's not like they haven't listed VC games on quarterly release lists before (Metroid 2, SML2 and Chrono Trigger immediately spring to mind)

jgkspsx

Unfortunately the 3DS version was clearly rushed out and, it breaks my heart, pretty shitty (broken 3D, bad framerate) and of awful value (only 8 tables for $30 iirc and it lacks two of the best)
Huh, I heard the 3D was good. I ordered it from Amazon for $15 shipped, so that colors my perception of the value, admittedly. Also, I haven't played it yet, just watched videos :)

I own three packs and a couple tables for Pinball FX2 and will buy Zen 3D day 1, don't get me wrong. I just think Pushmo etc. is a really special game.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
It's not just you, I keep hearing this being stated everywhere! Everyone seems to think it's a new Kirby game! and it pisses me off!

It's not like they haven't listed VC games on quarterly release lists before (Metroid 2, SML2 and Chrono Trigger immediately spring to mind)

!!!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

You need a license to chill, dude.

It's all good.

Dash Kappei

Huh, I heard the 3D was good. I ordered it from Amazon for $15 shipped, so that colors my perception of the value, admittedly. Also, I haven't played it yet, just watched videos :)

I own three packs and a couple tables for Pinball FX2 and will buy Zen 3D day 1, don't get me wrong. I just think Pushmo etc. is a really special game.

Damn, well if I could get one for €12 euro shipped myself I'd be all over it! So your pow is understandable :)
I'm looking forward to your impressions then, everything I've read about the port has been terrible but who knows.
There were also other very annoying problems that I can't remember at the moment, but I'm mostly interested in how the game holds up in 3D and 2D.

Chopper

Ugh. Has anyone bothered to watch Red Bull Over Norway on Nintendo Video (UK)? I thought it was so rubbish I felt the need to post about it. It promises "Fascinating 3D images...created using special technology on board a helicopter". Well, I'm calling bullshit.

Celine

Is there a reason you guys still haven't downloaded Zen Pinball?
It's the best game *exclusively* on the eShop (not that it's saying much) and it's just €5.
Spent my last euros on Pushmo that's the reason.
Zen looks captivating though , probably will buy at a later time.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Flipper 2 is nothing like the original aside from name - it looks to be some sort of WarioWare/QTE-packed platformer thing?

Top Bottom