• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - February 2013

It's not overpriced per say, but I definitely paid 30 cents too much for that trash game.
I'd debate that, Balloon Trip mode has its merits, true the Balloon Flight game in Nintendo Land is more substantial but I certainlly got my money's worth out of Balloon Flight. Also its fun to take screen caps of your high score and post it up on Miiverse for others to challenge.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I don't know if I want to live in a world where people think Balloon Trip isn't worth 30 cents.

Watch someone say this about Super Metroid this spring.

rjc571

Banned
Finished Witch's Cat with all platinum medals at 12 hours. Though if you don't care about the medals it will probably take half that.

I'm 37 levels/37 platinums in after 9 hours. Seems like we're making similar time.

Level 8-2 was brilliant, the type of level that seems impossible at first until you slowly build towards the solution.

Glass Joe

Any U.S.'ers itching for some pinball entertainment on the U this week, I just want to let you down gently. I messaged one of the green checked people for the game on Miiverse (Barb?) and she confirmed it's not coming this week, and that they're shooting for the end of February.

Side note: Wouldn't it have made a lot more sense for the initial download to just include the trial tables? I keep hearing people getting confused because they're buying unlock codes for tables that hadn't been downloaded. OR, if the download key just checked to see if the trial was there, and if not, downloads the full version? Whatever way they do it just sounds unintuitive.

So, just Fist of the North Star this week? For full retail price? Oh well.

also

Banned
Any U.S.'ers itching for some pinball entertainment on the U this week, I just want to let you down gently. I messaged one of the green checked people for the game on Miiverse (Barb?) and she confirmed it's not coming this week, and that they're shooting for the end of February.

Side note: Wouldn't it have made a lot more sense for the initial download to just include the trial tables? I keep hearing people getting confused because they're buying unlock codes for tables that hadn't been downloaded. OR, if the download key just checked to see if the trial was there, and if not, downloads the full version? Whatever way they do it just sounds unintuitive.

So, just Fist of the North Star this week? For full retail price? Oh well.
Someone (one of the devs?) commented they will make it more intuitive when a more intuitive solution is possible, so I guess Nintendo is to blame for not being prepared for free to play games.

We'll be updating the game with a better implementation once a better implementation is possible.

Glass Joe

Someone (one of the devs?) commented they will make it more intuitive when a more intuitive solution is possible, so I guess Nintendo is to blame for not being prepared for free to play games.

Or, maybe just making Zen 2 a cheap paid game -- Comes with one table (chosen by Zen) for the standard table price, then making the rest DLC. Nintendo seems to be the problem, but Miiverse comments show that some people felt misled that they were actually getting a free game and not a demo.

Anyway, many ways they could have gone about this, and not surprisingly, the most confusing one was chosen.

also

Banned
Or, maybe just making Zen 2 a cheap paid game -- Comes with one table (chosen by Zen) for the standard table price, then making the rest DLC. Nintendo seems to be the problem, but Miiverse comments show that some people felt misled that they were actually getting a free game and not a demo.

Anyway, many ways they could have gone about this, and not surprisingly, the most confusing one was chosen.

I don't get what's confusing about it. The base game (time limited tables) is free and you buy the tables you want. If Nintendo had allowed them to simply implement quick in-game purchases, wouldn't everything be all right? If they had included one table for cheap, the game would still have the DLC implementation issues and people would just be stuck with a table they may not even want.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
uxwGK.png

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Nintendo 3DS | Virtual Console

Nintendo DSi | DSiWare

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I'm not sure nitendo is the sole party to blame here. The game does not as much as mention you need to get the trials + unlocks for a proper purchase.

BTW, another suboptimal but less frustrating option would have been if the unlock purchase re-downloaded the original content, but in an unlocked form - ie the unlocked version would overwrite the trial table. It's not like the tables download takes too long.

wsippel

Banned
I'm not sure nitendo is the sole party to blame here. The game does not as much as mention you need to get the trials + unlocks for a proper purchase.

BTW, another suboptimal but less frustrating option would have been if the unlock purchase re-downloaded the original content, but in an unlocked form - ie the unlocked version would overwrite the trial table. It's not like the tables download takes too long.
I believe that the current Wii U firmware simply doesn't support in-app purchases yet, and that an update enabling that features was scheduled for December 2012, but never materialized. Which would also explain the delays for Zen Pinball. Zen quickly hacked something together to get the game out of the door, and will most likely release a patch as soon as in-app purchases become possible.

The second point you mention is something Nintendo could easily fix by adding dependency checking to the eShop. A few lines of Javascript should do the trick.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I believe that the current Wii U firmware simply doesn't support in-app purchases yet, and that an update enabling that features was scheduled for December 2012, but never materialized. Which would also explain the delays for Zen Pinball. Zen quickly hacked something together to get the game out of the door, and will most likely release a patch as soon as in-app purchases become possible.
Ok, that would explain why the game remains silent about what constitutes a full purchase - ie. if they always meant to have in-game purchases, and were waiting for that update till the last moment when they realized the update was not coming.

And yet, the time it took them to implement the 'go to eShop' info dialogue would not have been much longer if the dialogue contained yet another sentence there saying you needed both trial & unlock for a proper purchase.

Not meaning to complain much as it's still a great game, but clearly something somewhere fell through the cracks.

sakipon

I don't get what's confusing about it. The base game (time limited tables) is free and you buy the tables you want.

A time limited free game? By that definition a lot demos are actually free games. You merely cannot advance to further areas without buying the additional adventure.

I knew what the deal was and I still think the advertising is unnecessarily deceiving. Either include a free table or be honest and call it a demo.

Edited: Also, I would be fine with it if you could only play the free table for like 5 times a day. But a limit on high score and cutting the game before you finish is silly.

also

Banned
A time limited free game? By that definition a lot demos are actually free games. You merely cannot advance to further areas without buying the additional adventure.

I knew what the deal was and I still think the advertising is unnecessarily deceiving. Either include a free table or be honest and call it a demo.

Edited: Also, I would be fine with it if you could only play the free table for like 5 times a day. But a limit on high score and cutting the game before you finish is silly.
A lot of free to play games are time limited. ''Wait 24 hours for your energy to recharge and continue your quest or pay 2$ to purchase a set of stamina potions.'' Sure, the time limit is implemented differently here, but the logic is the same; pay if you want to play more time.
If they called it a demo, people would just be more confused when they went to the eShop and couldn't find the full game.
Furthermore, when I think of a demo, I usually have in mind a separate download, whereas here you are just upgrading the basic game.

BooJoh

A lot of free to play games are time limited. ''Wait 24 hours for your energy to recharge and continue your quest or pay 2$ to purchase a set of stamina potions.''
I sincerely hope that horrible and exploitative type of marketing doesn't make it to consoles, and if it does then I honestly hope we as educated gamers will have the common sense to not give those type of developers our business.

Just to be clear: I realize this isn't what's happening here, that comment just struck a bit of a nerve.

Lizardus

I sincerely hope that horrible and exploitative type of marketing doesn't make it to consoles, and if it does then I honestly hope we as educated gamers will have the common sense to not give those type of developers our business.

Just to be clear: I realize this isn't what's happening here, that comment just struck a bit of a nerve.

This.

Let us just pay for it and be done,
but you know they will still charge for DLC

zoukka

uxwGK.png

Nintendo DSi | DSiWare

This looks acceptable to me. But I live in europe and it feels there's nothing new in the store when I check it out.

What's this? Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask Plus

Animation and episodes have been added to the "Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle" 5th series, is the work of the limited download sales. Past episodes will be crossing about "mask", and modern case about "Mask of Miracle" of Professor Layton puzzle challenge. Has also been added under the supervision of Mr. Fai mystery lake many more.

Sounds like bundled DLC?

also

Banned
What's this? Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask Plus

Sounds like bundled DLC?
Where did you google translate that from?
Level 5 is releasing an updated version of Miracle's Mask on the eShop in Japan. No word of a Western release or if you will be able to buy the DLC separately. Don't count on it.

vdlow

Shin'en is amazing at taking the best from Nintendo hardwares. 3D, 60fps, and I bet that the graphics will be pretty much the same as the wii version of Jett Rocket. Amazing. Day one for sure.

Roto13

The 'Balloon Trip' mode in Balloon Fight (arguably the best part of the game) is what I and Stump were talking about.

You don't get to just pretend that the main mode of the game is absent before deciding whether it's worth buying for 30 cents.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I just realized something...

A rather shovelware-looking title has been present on the Wii U eShop/Miiverse for ages now : Family Party: 30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade. I'd ignored it as it looked like your typical "PARTY GAME SHOVELWARE" collection, but whilst perusing the Japanese Miiverse I realized that the FP3GGOA icon was attached to Simple Series for Wii U Vol.1: The Family Party...

Family Party is a Simple Series game?

I'm slightly interested now, but only slightly. Has anyone actually PLAYED this Family Party game and come back, alive, with thoughts? I'm still assuming it isn't very good, but I know the eclectic and esoteric game community have enjoyed some of the Simple Series...

BooJoh

I just realized something...

A rather shovelware-looking title has been present on the Wii U eShop/Miiverse for ages now : Family Party: 30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade. I'd ignored it as it looked like your typical "PARTY GAME SHOVELWARE" collection, but whilst perusing the Japanese Miiverse I realized that the FP3GGOA icon was attached to Simple Series for Wii U Vol.1: The Family Party...

Family Party is a Simple Series game?

I'm slightly interested now, but only slightly. Has anyone actually PLAYED this Family Party game and come back, alive, with thoughts? I'm still assuming it isn't very good, but I know the eclectic and esoteric game community have enjoyed some of the Simple Series...

Well, Nintendolife gave it a 1/10.

rjc571

Banned
Finished getting all platinums in Witch's Cat! The last level was a bitch and a half to get the platinum time. Took me 11:32 overall. The final cutscene that plays after the credits pretty much confirms that Rabi Laby 3 is coming, which is great.

DDayton

How much longer until Balloon Trip is no longer free?

I was going to make a witty comment, but I realized I didn't have Balloon Fight visible on my spreadsheet... I forgot to add a Wii U VC page. Sigh.

Balloon Fight is 30 cents until the 21st

DDayton

I wonder if we'll get that Street program tomorrow... or tonight, even.

I'll update Mr. Spreadsheet in the morning.

One step Nintendo can take in improving the 3DS/Wii U eShop is by releasing more games quicker. I'm tired of waiting every week and only getting something like Gameboy Tennis or something totally obscure.

I don't know what the hold up is. They should release a lot of games at a time and let people decide what to buy. Releasing them one at a time is not going to make us want them.

Don't get it.

Velcro Fly

Games are always going to trickle out. That isn't going to change.

What should change is NoA doing a better job of keeping up with Japan/EU in terms of VC releases.

Still waiting on Kirby's Dream Land 2. It's been out everywhere else for many months by now.

At least tomorrow brings Mega Man 2. I watched the 47 second video and knew I was spending $5 on a game I already own just to get it on my 3DS. And it's only a matter of time until I've racked up like 20 or 30 hours playing it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
7f5TM.png

• Rayman 3D (Ubisoft | $29.99) Latest release!

vYU92.png

Wii U | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

• Mega Man 2 (Capcom | NES | €4.99 | £4.49) Latest release!

Wii | Virtual Console

• Sengoku 2 (D4 Enterprise | Neo Geo | 900 Points) Latest release!

uxwGK.png

Wii U | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

BriBri

Is there anywhere I can see the Wii U download sizes? I just bought the basic as I'm a 'lil white power in regards to consoles. Fearing I can only download Balloon Fight (
and F-Zero!)
until I get an external drive!

Wii U eShop US front page is really disappointing me.

I liked when they updated and featured 3rd Party games and indie titles

now they have Balloon Fight taking up half the space, I hope they don't continue to take up space with that 30cents stuff for the next 6 months. This is not very Indie Friendly!

javac

Is there anywhere I can see the Wii U download sizes? I just bought the basic as I'm a 'lil white power in regards to consoles. Fearing I can only download Balloon Fight (
and F-Zero!)
until I get an external drive!

Not my picture but it gives you an idea. Before you want to purchase a game on the eShop it'll show you the download size.

Top Bottom