• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - February 2014

Glass Joe

Super C is on the 3DS VC and Contra III is on WiiU VC. You can't go wrong either way, so make your decision based on if you'd rather play on your TV or on 3DS.

Contra III for Wii U should be first, that game is just so over-the-top fun. And you don't have to play that on the TV, you can also play it on only the gamepad. So unless portability out of the house is important, go for that. Super C will probably come to Wii U eventually too.

I would get Contra III, it's a 16-bit beast. Skip
Super C 3DS because A) while it's good it's no Contra 1 and B) you can get both Contra 1 and Super C on the Contra 4 DS cart.

Odd how about 7 1/2 years since VC launced, Konami STILL hasn't given us Contra 1 VC. Not to mention Hard Corps on Genesis. The way Konami neglects their classic franchises is just weird. Gotta spend more time and money on other things like indulging Kojima in his $40 demo I guess.

Also bummed SMB 3 probably isn't coming tomorrow, why couldn't they just release it and Ninja Gaiden? I remember on Wii VC in November 2007 before SMG launch they released SMB 3 and Alien Soldier together.

Well awesome, thanks so much for the recommendations. I'll check into Contra III first, and see if my work (GameStop!) has a copy of Contra IV on the DS that I can buy or rent on the cheap.

I absolutely cannot believe the original Contra hasn't been released on the VC. What the hell! That is always mentioned as a top-tier third party NES game. Surely there is enough demand for it, right?

Oh well, I guess it doesn't particularly affect me, since I have no attachment to the franchise... but still, I love filling in my retro gaming gaps, and after finding out the OG Contra isn't available conveniently anywhere, it makes me want to try it all the more :p

I just got a spotpass notification for the MH3 sale (ends today) so better late than never. It had some good info in there too like a tutorial video to help people with the demo and at the end it said Capcom was releasing MH4 Ultimate in early 2015?

I absolutely cannot believe the original Contra hasn't been released on the VC. What the hell! That is always mentioned as a top-tier third party NES game. Surely there is enough demand for it, right?
I would have assumed it was due to mappers* but the North American version uses the same mapper as Mega Man and Pro Wrestling. The Japanese version on the other hand used the third party VRC2 mapper (in North America only first party mappers could be used)). I'm not familiar enough with the VC games to see if Nintendo ever bothered to emulate third party mappers (it might be a similar dispute thought to affect super-FX, though the Capcom chip in MMX2/3 was emulated fine)

*-MMC chip emulation is the correct term I guess

L~A

I just got a spotpass notification for the MH3 sale (ends today) so better late than never. It had some good info in there too like a tutorial video to help people with the demo and at the end it said Capcom was releasing MH4 Ultimate in early 2015?

Actually; this notification is several days old, got in on Monday/Tuesday (can't remember which day exactly). And yeah, it does mention the 2015 release.

QUBE Director's Cut : April (US)
Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails : March? April?
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse : Q1?
Armillo : March 24 (US)
Grinsia (Nicalis) : ???
1001 Spikes (Nicalis) ???
Tengami : ???
Pier Solar HD : ???
Putty Squad : ???
Teslagrad : March/April (US)
Treasurenauts : ???
Wooden Sen'Sey : Q2
Retro City Rampage : Feb. 6 (US) Feb 20 (EU)
Knytt Underground : available
Unepic : available
Siesta Festa : ???
Shovel Knight : March 31st
Tappingo : Feb.
Ittle Dew : Q1 (US)
Ballpoint Universe : March 18th (US)
Nihilumbra : March (US)
Squid Odyssey : March (US)
Monkey Pirates : Q1 (US)
Assault Android Cactucs : April (US)

Edit : hmm, that started as 'let's check if each game shown during the Nov. direct has a release date' to 'list of eShop games coming soon", so I'm just gonna stop there :p

(at best, you'd miss a few references, but nothing vital).

If that's the case, I'll just get VLR. I have £25 still in my account since Christmas and I have been told I would enjoy VLR as I'm a massive Phoenix Wright fan, so would enjoy the type of game. This plus Layton vs PW and having to finish Dual Destinies means the 3DS is my most played machine still!

Robin64

Never played Gargoyle's Quest II, so I'll definitely pick this one up. But I don't really follow their reasoning that this must be for WiiU VC.

No, I agree, that's not a very good conclusion at all. Personally hoping it's for 3DS.

Weird, I thought Spot the Differences would be an eShop game for sure, but apparently it's a retail release.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-3DS/Spot-the-Differences--851753.html

150 photos to spot the differences on! Very very odd retail release.

90sRobots

Ninja Gaiden! I downloaded that on my 3DS almost two years ago! Fucking jokes.

I think VC games in Wii Mode have less input lag. I could never pull off those menu cheats in the Super Star Wars games on the Wii but they were a cinch on Wii U. If you smartly ported them before they went off the eShop, give it a shot! It's fun to take quick tours of those games with the debug menu.

L~A

Get 30% off Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games on #WiiU #eShop from tomorrow until 23:59 on 9/2

Pretty cool, though it'd be even better if they actually advertised the game during the Olympics.

I think VC games in Wii Mode have less input lag. I could never pull off those menu cheats in the Super Star Wars games on the Wii but they were a cinch on Wii U. If you smartly ported them before they went off the eShop, give it a shot! It's fun to take quick tours of those games with the debug menu.
I think what you are seeing is an effect of the Wii U upscaling the image to whatever the Wii U video settings are. This is probably faster than the TVs upscaler.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
From press release site:

Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS™
Bravely Default™ – Square Enix's highly acclaimed fantasy RPG brings deep, strategic combat to the Nintendo 3DS system in an ambitious game that bolsters its turn-based combat with a compelling new risk-and-reward system. Explore Luxendarc as Tiz and other memorable characters on a visually stunning quest to restore balance to the world. Bravely Default will be available on Feb. 7.

Retro City Rampage™: DX – Rampage the '80s in an open world by stealing cars and running missions, all while jumping on civilians for coins and outrunning the law with power-ups. This send-up of '80s and '90s video games and pop culture includes both a full Story Mode of open-world adventure as well as an Arcade Mode for quick pick-up-and-play action. If that's not enough, it also packs an interactive city full of shops, mini-games, customizations, collectibles and special guest stars.

Nintendo eShop on Wii U™
The LEGO® Movie Videogame – Step into the blocky shoes of Emmet, an ordinary, rules-following, perfectly average citizen who is mistakenly identified as the key to saving the world. Players guide him as he is drafted into a fellowship of strangers on an epic quest to stop an evil tyrant, a journey for which Emmet is hopelessly and hilariously underprepared. The LEGO Movie Videogame will be available on Feb. 7.

Virtual Console™ on Wii U
Ninja Gaiden® – Players take the role of Ryu Hayabusa and fight their way through 10 challenging side-scrolling levels while defeating gangs of street thugs, battling evil ninjas and fighting barbarian bosses. Using the deadly Dragon Sword, ninja skills and ninja magic, players make their way through each stage and collect items to gain points, strength and weapons.

Nintendo eShop Sale
Urban Trial Freestyle – Race through a wide range of environments in this fresh take on the action bike-racer genre. Starting today, download Urban Trial Freestyle from the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS at a discounted price of $3.49 until 9 a.m. PT on Feb. 20.

Also new this week:
• The LEGO® Movie Videogame (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS) – Available on Feb. 7
• ONE PIECE: Romance Dawn (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS) – Available on Feb. 11
• Percy’s Predicament (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
Ya know, one of these days, I wish Ninja Gaiden would have a sale or at the very least a bundle for all 3 games.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Wasn't there some kind of collection of the Ninja Gaiden games for SNES? Maybe they can release that someday.
Anyway, I'll buy Ninja Gaiden when it comes to Europe.

L~A

That's it, Virtue's Last Reward and Hakuoki : Memories of the Shinsengumi are finally on sale in Europe! :)

Oh, and there's some new communities for Miiverse in Europe :

BfzCR5cCMAAjl4w.png

Looks like all those games are sharing their communities with the Wii U counterparts.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wasn't there some kind of collection of the Ninja Gaiden games for SNES? Maybe they can release that someday.
*checks Wiki*

" Few improvements were made, but passwords were included and the cinematic sequences were improved. The graphics were retouched and the soundtrack was updated. The third game was also made more playable by reverting the difficulty level to that of the Japanese version, with infinite continues and more reasonable damage from enemy attacks. Unfortunately, the ports suffered from slowdown, unresponsive controls, finicky hit detection, and no closing credits."

Eeeeeeh, sounds like a mixed bag. I heard that was the version that you could unlock in the original Xbox version of Ninja Gaiden.

sörine

Banned
Percy's Predicament looks, uh, interesting.

I would have assumed it was due to mappers* but the North American version uses the same mapper as Mega Man and Pro Wrestling. The Japanese version on the other hand used the third party VRC2 mapper (in North America only first party mappers could be used)). I'm not familiar enough with the VC games to see if Nintendo ever bothered to emulate third party mappers (it might be a similar dispute thought to affect super-FX, though the Capcom chip in MMX2/3 was emulated fine)

*-MMC chip emulation is the correct term I guess
No VRC2 games released on Wii VC in Japan but VRC4 and VRC6 games did. For other 3rd party mapper titles only Sunsoft's FME-7 games ever made it.

Also Konami released the MSX version of Contra on Wii VC in Japan.

sörine

Banned
Eh, I guess that version looks pretty bad thanks to the MSX's trademark scrolling?
There is no scrolling, it screen flips. I think the game looks okay but it's nowhere near the greatness of the NES version and unlike MSX Vampire Killer it doesn't really offer a different enough experience to make it worthwhile in it's own right.

GulAtiCa

Percy's Predicament looks kinda bad. How much is this selling for?

$5.99. Honestly, should prob be lower.

It's from the same guy who tried and failed a Wii U kickstarter for Acoustic Highway by not actually showing any gameplay till like the last week.. Even then the video was just of tech demo for showing slow motion look at some "proof" that they made something..

Jucksalbe

Banned
sörine;99828605 said:
There is no scrolling, it screen flips. I think the game looks okay but it's nowhere near the greatness of the NES version and unlike MSX Vampire Killer it doesn't really offer a different enough experience to make it worthwhile in it's own right.

Just watched a longplay. This actually looks like a pretty decent port, at least quite a bit better than I imagined it to be.

terrisus

Anyway, I'll buy Ninja Gaiden when it comes to Europe.

Ninja Gaiden Trilogy.

That said, the individual NES games are the way to go.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It seems there's a sale in the European eShop for Mario & Sonic: 30% off till 9/2.

Is this the first time Nintendo discounts a first party retail title?

tolkir

Week finished

7f5TM.png

Wii U | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Wii U | Virtual Console

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

• Pokemon Bank (Nintendo | 30-day trial until 03/14, then $4.99/year)

Nintendo 3DS | Sales

• Urban Trial Freestyle (Tate Multimedia | $3.49 until 02/20, then $5.59)

vYU92.png

• My Farm (BiP media | €7.99 | £7.19)

Wii U | Virtual Console

Wii U | Sales

• Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo | €34.99 | £27.99 until 02/09, then €49.99 | £39.99) Upcoming 02/07

• Pokemon Bank (Nintendo | 30-day trial until 03/14, then €4.99/year | £4.49/year)

• Animal Hospital (Bigben Interactive | Demo Version)

Nintendo 3DS | Sales

• Urban Trial Freestyle (Tate Multimedia | €3.49 | £3.15 until 02/13, then €6.99 | £6.29)
  • Virtue's Last Reward (Rising Star Games | €12.49 | £9.99 until 03/06, then €24.99 | £19.99)
  • Hakuoki: Memories of the Shinsengumi (Rising Star Games | €16.99 | £14.99 until 03/06, then €29.99 | £29.99)
  • Beyblade Evolution (Rising Star Games | €14.99 | £14.99 until 03/06, then €19.99 | £29.99)
  • Bit.Trip Saga (Rising Star Games | €9.99 | £8.99 until 03/06, then €19.99 | £17.99)
  • Girl's Fashion Shoot (Rising Star Games | €14.99 | £14.99 until 03/06, then €19.99 | £29.99)
  • Shifting World (Rising Star Games | €9.99 | £8.99 until 03/06, then €19.99 | £17.99)
  • Super Black Bass 3D (Rising Star Games | €9.99 | £8.99 until 03/06, then €19.99 | £17.99)
  • Jewel Master Cradle Of Rome 2 (Rising Star Games | €9.99 | £8.99 until 03/06, then €19.99 | £17.99)
  • Jewel Master Cradle Of Egypt 2 (Rising Star Games | €9.99 | £8.99 until 03/06, then €19.99 | £17.99)

Nintendo DSi | DsiWare

uxwGK.png

Wii U | Virtual Console

Nintendo 3DS | Virtual Console

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It seems there's a sale in the European eShop for Mario & Sonic: 30% off till 9/2.

Is this the first time Nintendo discounts a first party retail title?

If you are talking about "Real" first party games - this isnt one since its a Sega game published by Nintendo, so its not really different from the current Monster Hunter sale or RE Revelations before it.

Ocarina of Time 3D is the only real first party Wii/3DS title (developed and published by Nintendo) which went on sale, and apparently they werent satisfied with the results since they never did it again lol.

D-e-f-

Banned
BWAHAHAHA that Percy's Predicament Wii U game literally looks like it was ported from the PSX.

sörine;99826781 said:
Percy's Predicament looks, uh, interesting.

Percy's Predicament looks kinda bad. How much is this selling for?

It's Maestro Entertainment. All their games look like that. And they always show off 15fps (that's what it feels like) in-editor preview videos with mouse camera movement and absolutely no commentary that tells you how early this or what the game is going to be or whatever. They're trying their best to make you not buy any of their games and not take them seriously at all. And they're apparently successful.

We solved the technical hurdle for VC.

*continues releasing one game*

That comment was clearly and unmistakably tied to the DS games coming to VC.

Also, they have no trouble releasing multiple games in Japan. It's entirely an issue for EU and NA specifically.

Majestad

Banned
I'm disappointed that there's no 3D on RCR DX, but the port seems pretty solid so far. I like the new camera way better.

zroid

Banned
It's too bad he didn't at least redo the cutscenes in 3D. Probably wouldn't have been all that much work, and it would've been a nice effect.

I already own both Toki Tori 2+ and MSF HDE so more than eligible for the 60% off indie sale. I dunno if I will bite due to time spent on other games right now but would like recommendations, yays/neighs on Giana Sisters (reboot of a retro game?) and BitTrip Runner. Not in the market for another party game so Spin the Bottle/Bumpie is out. Or maybe I'll just get Ninja Gaiden because I don't own a copy of the game and currently have $5 of deluxe digital promo credit.

Anyways, like I said before, back in 2007 before SMG launch NOA gave us both SMB 3 and Alien Soldier the same day, so no idea why the saps who handle VC at NOA these days can no longer wrap their heads around the concept of releasing two different AAA games on the same day.

D-e-f-

Banned
It's too bad he didn't at least redo the cutscenes in 3D. Probably wouldn't have been all that much work, and it would've been a nice effect.

"at least"

Did you see the list? He's doing this all by himself. Dude is insane and has lived and breathed this game for years now. All the tweaks he did exclusively for the 3DS version would've never been done by 90% of other devs porting an older game over. Just doing cut scenes would've been a wasted effort since you'd have to turn on the 3D for the cut scenes every time. If I were him, I wouldn't do it either. All or nothing.

There's really no room to complain with all the extra effort he put into the DX version. The guy really cares, apparently.

zroid

Banned
you could just leave the 3D slider on, lol...

anyway, it's not a big deal but what Brian said in his blog is that it's easy to do for 2D games, and that's the approach he could've taken with the cutscenes, since they are basically 2D tableaux.

terrisus

I just want to play SMB3.

While I understand wanting things on the 3DS or WiiU VC, if you "just want to play SMB3," there's the NES, SNES (All-Stars), GBA (Advance 4), Wii (All-Stars - which can even be played on the Wii U), and Wii VC (again, also playable on Wii) versions.

I own all of the above aside from the Wii VC. And will be getting it again for Wii U as well

D-e-f-

Banned
While I understand wanting things on the 3DS or WiiU VC, if you "just want to play SMB3," there's the NES, SNES (All-Stars), GBA (Advance 4), Wii (All-Stars - which can even be played on the Wii U), and Wii VC (again, also playable on Wii) versions.

I own all of the above aside from the Wii VC. And will be getting it again for Wii U as well

inb4 "but I just have a 3DS" :D

Top Bottom