• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - February 2014

zroid

Banned
I am going to pick up Attack of the Friday Monsters and Liberation Maiden for sure. Undecided on Starship Damrey. I have Crimson Shroud already. The others I think I'll pass on.

Going to grab the Weapon Shop game day 1 though.

It's the first, as far as I understood. Certainly looked like the first in the Direct.

Ah, alright. $20 seems a bit steep for such an old game, but I've been interested in the series for a while so I may check it out. If this one selling well is what it takes to bring over the new Inazuma games at retail, it'll probably be worth it.

Roto13

Starship Damrey isn't nearly as good as it could be, unfortunately. It's interesting at first but then nothing really happens until the ending. It's also poorly written.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Hmm...I liked it, in part because it's pretty calm most of the time. It's not like it's a long game. The ending could have been done better, but it was still satisfying.
And it's not like there's anything like it on the 3DS.

Starship Damrey isn't nearly as good as it could be, unfortunately. It's interesting at first but then nothing really happens until the ending. It's also poorly written.

It would have to be complete dog shit for me not be able to get 3 quids worth of value out of it. Hell you can barely even buy a sandwich for that much money these days.

LayLa

recently played Attack of the Friday Monsters and would urge anyone on the fence to buy buy buy at that price. It's short and there's not a whole lot of gameplay but it's incredibly charming and I had a big stupid grin on my face the whole time I was playing it - made me feel nostalgic for a childhood I never even had so god knows how hard it hits some Japanese people in their 30s/40s.

Did anyone play Tanks vs Bugs? It's the only one I don't have, and it just doesn't seem very exciting. As for the others, Crimson Shroud is one of my favorite 3DS games, Liberation Maiden was fun, if a bit simple, Aero Porter was neat, but way too hard, Attack of the Friday Monsters had an incredibly charming story, although it was disappointing on the card battle front, and Starship Damrey had a great beginning and end, but a really disappointing middle.

So in April 2014, a full year after the Wii U VC launch and a year after GBA support was announced, we'll finally be getting a couple of GBA games (assuming they can bother releasing more than one that month). I'd be a lot more enthusiastic if April also saw the release of N64 and TG-16 titles and if the VC release schedule and output wasn't still so horrendous.

2 1/2 months after 3DW's launch and close to a year since SMW launched Wii U VC and we still don't have SMB 3 in NA and I'm supposed to be excited that GBA will be added to the VC's slow drip pace? I still have all my GBA carts, I still have my GBA SP and DS Lite, plus I have my Ambassador GBA games, so no, I'm not doing this anymore.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wait, what's this about a sale? *checks eShop* Damn it, Nintendo, be more vocal about these! All I heard was that Rising Star sale.

Kind of wish I waited for Attack of the Friday Monsters to be that cheap. Oh well. Not sure if I'll get Crimson Shroud & Bugs vs. Tanks. I already have Liberation Maiden & Aero Porter. Unless someone can REALLY sell me on CS & BvT, I think I'm done with the Guild games until Weapon Shop de Omasse is out.

Of course, this makes me want to wait on that weapon shop one coming out next week seeing as this is...what, the third time the Guild 01/02 games have been on sale?

zroid

Banned
I didn't know people still needed to be sold on Crimson Shroud. It's an excellent little RPG which takes a lot of inspiration from tabletop games. Good story too.

If that sounds good to you, you're gonna love it. If not, you probably won't.

Chopper

I'm having quite a lot of fun with Steel Diver. The pace might not be for some and the graphics are pretty shitty, but the multiplayer is great and the controls are awesome. You should all be downloading this.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I didn't know people still needed to be sold on Crimson Shroud. It's an excellent little RPG which takes a lot of inspiration from tabletop games. Good story too.

If that sounds good to you, you're gonna love it. If not, you probably won't.
That's my dilemma. The RPG part makes me interested, but the tabletop inspiration kind of clashes with me. I think I might have just given in & tried it for the price, but considering I've got other games and the fact these games have been on sale numerous times, I don't know.

It's times like this I really wish Nintendo had more demos.

That's my dilemma. The RPG part makes me interested, but the tabletop inspiration kind of clashes with me. I think I might have just given in & tried it for the price, but considering I've got other games and the fact these games have been on sale numerous times, I don't know.

If the tabletop part is the big hangup, rest assured, it's mostly a visual element. Dice rolling has no connection to how any D20 system works, at least. The game just lets you improve your rolls by adding more dice, there is little else that resembles a real tabletop RPG, and the story is quite strong. In a real tabletop RPG, you would be using all kinds of spot, search, and listen checks as you go through the dungeon to deal with traps, enemies, and treasure, and you would have lots of different ways to interact with the setting.

zroid

Banned

Ah I see. Well, you can rest assured that it's not a D&D video game. It's just an RPG with certain trappings of tabletop games like dice rolls to change your fortunes in battle a bit, and the story is narrated as would a tabletop RPG.

I think you will enjoy it if you like RPGs. The tabletop aspect is more like an additional layer which will probably be nostalgic for some people, but it doesn't affect the gameplay much.

EDarkness

Ah I see. Well, you can rest assured that it's not a D&D video game. It's just an RPG with certain trappings of tabletop games like dice rolls to change your fortunes in battle a bit, and the story is narrated as would a tabletop RPG.

I think you will enjoy it if you like RPGs. The tabletop aspect is more like an additional layer which will probably be nostalgic for some people, but it doesn't affect the gameplay much.

It should also be noted that you don't level in the game. It's all from gear.

rpmurphy

NES Remix 2 has me soooooooo excited. :D

Loved the first one. <3
Same, especially because of the lineup in the games.

I wonder if Nintendo could get 3rd party IPs involved as well, that would be sweet. Wouldn't at all mind NES Remix: Konami/Capcom/Namco/Squaresoft versions.

zroid

Banned
NES Remix 2 has me soooooooo excited. :D

Loved the first one. <3

I KNOW.

And this one looks so much better. I got a ton of mileage out of the first one, and most of its games aren't even that good on their own IMO. Remix 2 has godlike stuff such as SMB3 and Kid Icarus and Lost Levels. Oh lawd.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
If the tabletop part is the big hangup, rest assured, it's mostly a visual element. Dice rolling has no connection to how any D20 system works, at least. The game just lets you improve your rolls by adding more dice, there is little else that resembles a real tabletop RPG, and the story is quite strong. In a real tabletop RPG, you would be using all kinds of spot, search, and listen checks as you go through the dungeon to deal with traps, enemies, and treasure, and you would have lots of different ways to interact with the setting.

Ahh, so it's more about the visual presentation than actual gameplay. That makes me feel more at ease at trying this game.

& add me to being excited for NES Remix 2. I was hoping for DLC, but a sequel works just fine. Game selection looks more solid as well (though Golf again?). Also like the fact they're adding a mode similar to Nintendo World Championship. Wonder if they'll try to replicate The Wizard & what Jimmy did in SMB3 with grabbing the whistle (despite having no idea it was hidden there...or what it did).

Katsuragi

So NCL is going to release about 10 GBA games in a single month! It will be very interesting depressing to see how many we'll get on a weekly basis in Europe/NA. :p

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Considering GBA games in Japan are going to cost a little over $6, I wonder if we'll get a price close to that for the US games.

Though I forgot it was Wii U & not 3DS, because I totally wouldn't mind having Superstar Saga on my 3DS to go with the ambassador games.

jmizzal

So NCL is going to release about 10 GBA games in a single month! It will be very interesting depressing to see how many we'll get on a weekly basis in Europe/NA. :p

Yea crazy

April 3rd

- Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World
- WarioWare
- Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
- Golden Sun, F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
- Advance Wars 1+2

April 30th

- Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
- The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
- Mario Tennis Advance
- Wario Land 4
- Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
- Metroid Fusion

They better not drop 1 game at a time in the US, plz I just want Advance Wars, Metroid Fusion and Minish Cap

DVCY201

Hey, as an aside, do you all recommend Super Mario RPG? I remember playing it when I was young, but I do not remember if I enjoyed it or not. Was thinking of picking it up for 200 coins.

zroid

Banned
Hey, as an aside, do you all recommend Super Mario RPG? I remember playing it when I was young, but I do not remember if I enjoyed it or not. Was thinking of picking it up for 200 coins.

It is one of my favourite games ever, but I don't know how well it holds up. I can see how someone who hasn't played it before could get frustrated with the the controls sometimes, and the graphics are kind of odd by modern standards.

It is bursting from the seams with charm though, and the battles are a lot of fun.

Roto13

I want Nightmare in Dream Land. And Mario & Luigi. And Golden Sun.

I'd be buying a lot more of those if I wasn't a 3DS Ambassador.

Pre-rendered graphics are kind of ugly, but other than that, it's pretty great.

Boogiepop

I've asked in the past, but I'll ask again: just how unplayable is Liberation Maiden for lefties? Any chance I could wing it? I was kind of able to make it work by using my thumb on the dumb Pokemon Super Training minigame, so maybe I could manage here? Also, is Bugs vs. Tanks at all worthwhile?

Already have Crimson Shroud and Attack of the Friday Monsters, and at that price I'll probably go ahead and grab Starship Damrey and Aeroporter.

Roto13

Aero Porter is weird. It starts off easy and gradually adds more mechanics and things to watch out for and gets harder and more interesting, but then it eventually gets too hard and there's no way to roll back the difficulty.

Worth $3, though.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I have most of those GBA games, but I'll gladly buy some of them again. Especially when SMA3: SMW2/Yoshi's Island comes out.

Also jumping on the Guild games I don't already have.

DVCY201

It is one of my favourite games ever, but I don't know how well it holds up. I can see how someone who hasn't played it before could get frustrated with the the controls sometimes, and the graphics are kind of odd by modern standards.

It is bursting from the seams with charm though, and the battles are a lot of fun.

Pre-rendered graphics are kind of ugly, but other than that, it's pretty great.

Thanks, I guess I'll pick it up then!

Jucksalbe

Banned
2 1/2 months after 3DW's launch and close to a year since SMW launched Wii U VC and we still don't have SMB 3 in NA and I'm supposed to be excited that GBA will be added to the VC's slow drip pace?

Good thing is, with the announcement of NES Remix 2 you now have a date by when SMB3 has to be out. So two more months maximum. ;)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I'll finally be able to play Metroid Fusion!
You're in for a treat. I've spent more than a hundred hours in that game. I'll gladly double that on the gamepad.

I paid £7.19 for Attack of the Friday Monsters!
I ain't even mad though. I got to play it outside in the sun when it came out which added to its atmosphere and it's still one of my favourite 3DS experiences.

I'll probably jump on Starship D. Knowing ahead of time it's not great and it being so cheap means I'll be okay with it.

Hyped for the Pocket Football game! Would've taken the Baseball one too but if it had to be one (which seems to be the case) then I'm happy with what we're getting.

Phatmac

Which are the must own guild games? I'm on the fence on both liberation maiden and crimson shroud but I'll probably get Friday monsters.

Jucksalbe

Banned
The best ones are Crimson Shroud and Attack of the Friday Monsters. Liberation Maiden is okay, but very short and repetitive. For that price it's good.

Phatmac

I forgot that you have to pay $10 in order o get funds on the eshop(which sucks). Guess I'll get both Friday monsters and shroud. I'll probably get maiden for that price. Or maybe just get the Phoenix wright dlc.

Phatmac

Been waiting on a sale for it. Guess I'll get that over crimson shroud? That's kinda depressing since I'd be skipping over 2 games for dlc but if it is that good then I'll get the dlc.

Sendou

Nintendo needs to drop the price on more stuff. Get sonic racing down to 20, same with deus ex and splinter cell.

Sonic Racing dropping down to 20 would be up to Sega. Deus Ex dropping down to 20 would be up to Square Enix. Splinter Cell dropping down to 20 would be up to Ubisoft.

Nintendo can only really discount games they have published. Out of those they can't freely tamper with games they don't fully own like Bravely Default for example.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone have a list of the Level 5 sale in EU?

Jucksalbe

Banned
It's all 6 Guild games for €2.99 each.
That's

- Liberation Maiden
- Aero Porter
- Crimson Shroud
- Attack of the Friday Monsters
- Starship Damrey
- Bugs vs Tanks

Top Bottom