• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - March 2013

DaBoss

I wonder if they will give a dual-pack discounted release for the Oracle games. You can get both games cheaper than you would if you bought them both separately.

I wonder if they will give a dual-pack discounted release for the Oracle games. You can get both games cheaper than you would if you bought them both separately.
They did that in Japan, so you'd hope so. But who knows, releasing it 7 months late with no discount would be right up NoE's alley.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Can't decide if I like the game enough. When is it?

Sometime this week. Will likely start on Friday and you'll be given a day to coordinate your matches.

PS- If enough people sign up I can offer a neat prize maybe.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I am looking for some good 3DS games either downloadable or not. I loved Mario 3Dland but I hate Paper Mario: Sticker Star. Any good advise out there? Also, I am not buying Ocarina....I have beat it like 3 times.

I loved (and it's super cheap) Sonic Generations, it's not in the eShop tho :(
Same for Kid Icarus.

Best game on eShop imo is Fire Emblem if you are in the US.

Looks like the new Giana Sisters game is hitting the Wii U eShop. I played a bit of it on PC, great game.

Can't wait until these indie games start releasing, most are perfect for off-screen play and should work well to alleviate the typical lulls between big releases.

Celine

Looks like the new Giana Sisters game is hitting the Wii U eShop. I played a bit of it on PC, great game.

Can't wait until these indie games start releasing, most are perfect for off-screen play and should work well to alleviate the typical lulls between big releases.
Really?

How is the music?

zroid

Banned
Never played it, but I watched the GB Quick Look and it seemed like a solid game. Might pick it up for Wii U.

stuminus3

Really?

How is the music?
It's Chris Hülsbeck as you know and love him! Also it does this neat thing where the classic chiptunes seamlessly warp into a heavy metal version of the same tune when you switch characters (same as how the whole world warps from being cute to being nasty), it's a cool effect. If the port is as good as the PC version I'd recommend it to any platformer fan.

ngower

I've never played a Zelda game. Should I (a) hold out for Ocarina of Time 3D until after I graduate, (b) buy the original NES title, or (c) buy Links Awakening DX? I'm leaning towards option (a), but what would you recommend?

rjc571

Banned
I've never played a Zelda game. Should I (a) hold out for Ocarina of Time 3D until after I graduate, (b) buy the original NES title, or (c) buy Links Awakening DX? I'm leaning towards option (a), but what would you recommend?

d) Buy Link to the Past on Virtual Console

Roto13

Link's Awakening DX is a fine starting point. So is Ocarina of Time. Zelda 1 is pretty tough to get into here in 2013 unless you're an old fan of the game.

ngower

d) Buy Link to the Past on Virtual Console

I should have been clearer: I only own a 3DS XL. While I never actually played it, I did watch a friend play it quite a bit growing, so I'm sure I'll grab it if it ever comes out.

Link's Awakening DX is a fine starting point. So is Ocarina of Time. Zelda 1 is pretty tough to get into here in 2013 unless you're an old fan of the game.

Hm. Are there better VC options? I grew up a Sega kid, so I never really got to play any of the Nintendo titles. I had an N64, but only had Smash Bros. and Pokemon Snap, so I missed out on pretty much every major franchise by Nintendo.

Roto13

I should have been clearer: I only own a 3DS XL. While I never actually played it, I did watch a friend play it quite a bit growing, so I'm sure I'll grab it if it ever comes out.

Hm. Are there better VC options? I grew up a Sega kid, so I never really got to play any of the Nintendo titles. I had an N64, but only had Smash Bros. and Pokemon Snap, so I missed out on pretty much every major franchise by Nintendo.

The only other Zelda game on 3DS VC right now is Zelda 2 and that's even less accessible than Zelda 1. :p (Basically any Zelda game is a fine starting point besides those two, though.)

If you're asking if there's anything better on the 3DS VC in general, not just Zelda games, that's kind of a big question.

Boney

Banned

Well Link's Awakening is the best in the series so it's gonna be downhill from there.

But yeah it's a great starting point definately.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Ocarina and Link's Awakening are fine entries into the 3D and 2D series, respectively. And I say series, because 2D and 3D Zelda are so vastly different. Given that the 3DS is your only option, that's fine. Hopefully the library expands later and you can play games like Minish Cap, A Link to the Past and Majora's Mask.

ngower

The only other Zelda game on 3DS VC right now is Zelda 2 and that's even less accessible than Zelda 1. :p (Basically any Zelda game is a fine starting point besides those two, though.)

If you're asking if there's anything better on the 3DS VC in general, not just Zelda games, that's kind of a big question.

Yeah, I was referring to the overall VC library. Again, I haven't ever beaten a first-party Nintendo title, and have only played bits and pieces of Star Fox and Super Mario on the SNES. So I've got some learnin' to do.

I'm leaning towards Link's Awakening, but I've got a little over 24 hours until I head home to an internet-less land, so I'm trying to stock up on titles.

serplux

Yeah, I was referring to the overall VC library. Again, I haven't ever beaten a first-party Nintendo title, and have only played bits and pieces of Star Fox and Super Mario on the SNES. So I've got some learnin' to do.

I'm leaning towards Link's Awakening, but I've got a little over 24 hours until I head home to an internet-less land, so I'm trying to stock up on titles.

Gah, man. You've got a hell of a lot of catching up to do. Link's Awakening is the second best 2D Zelda game ever, and it's definitely a good place to start. It's a little weirder than the rest of the Zelda series though, so keep that in mind.

Ocarina of Time 3D is the definitive version of what many people (but not me) consider to the be greatest Zelda (and game) of all time, so that's an excellent option too.

Roto13

Well, here are some noteworthy Virtual Console games I have on my 3DS:

Game Boy

Donkey Kong (buy this, it's fantastic)
Link to the Past
Mario's Picross
Mole Mania (not a lot of people know this game but it's a great puzzle game)
Super Mario Land 2
Wario Land
Wario Land II (much better than Wario Land 1 but I like them both)

NES

Baloon Fight (but I have a lot of nostalgia for this one so ymmv)
Metroid (you might need to draw a map)
Super Mario Bros.
Wrecking Crew

And if you're interested in some 3D Classics (classic games remade in 3D), Kirby's Adventure is the best one and Kid Icarus Uprising is really good too (and available for 150 Club Nintendo coins right now).

There's also a bunch of good non-VC games on the eShop if you want some recommendations for those too.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
^^^

edit2:
Would never recommend Metroid, Baloon Fight, Wrecking Crew or NES Zeldas to people new to Nintendo really. Honestly the only ones I'd recommend (which doesn't mean *I* don't love NES/GB Nintendo series) out of those on 3DS VC are Donkey Kong 94, Wario Land 2, Super Mario Bros NES and GBC's TLOZ Link's Awakening DX.
See where those take them and then go with older/harder stuff.

c) A Link To The Past on Wii's VC/GBA port.

edit 1: damn, well go for Link's Awakening and then Ocarina 3D, both are still superb to this day and they're vastly different games anyways.

As soon as you can grab Mario 3D Land.

ngower

c) A Link To The Past on Wii's VC/GBA port.

edit: damn, well go for Link's Awakening and then Ocarina 3D, both are still superb to this day and they're vastly different games anyways.

As soon as you can grab Mario 3D Land.

I've pre-ordered Luigi's Mansion 2, which should be waiting for me when I get home. Once I register that, I'll download Super Mario 3D Land per terms of the 3DS XL promotion.

As for downloadable titles, I've already beaten Gunman Clive (which I loved) and am slowly playing through Crashmo, mostly for five to ten minutes a morning on weekends when I don't want to get out of bed. I'll be in airports and on trains for about ten hours on Thursday, so I'll probably make a pretty big dent in it then. I bought Sakura Samurai earlier today, but I've only played the tutorial.

I just bought Link's Awakening DX. All reviews point to it being amongst the best titles on the 3DS, either retail or digital. Given it's only about ten or so hours to beat, it should make for a great title to work through while I'm home.

I perused Google Images, YouTube, Tumblr, etc and the art style seems pretty neat.

Thanks to all for the input and feedback thus far.

EDIT: Oh, and on the note of SM3DL, I played about five hours of Super Mario Galaxy and absolutely loved it, so I'm really excited for that title. I'm going to try and leave it alone until May, otherwise I could see myself failing college. :D

Roto13

3D Land is by the same team as Mario Galaxy, so it's pretty fantastic, too. Different style from Galaxy, but still great.

ahm998

I read in website 2 games announced for Wii U Eshop still no release date for both.

Giana Sisters

Delver's drop

Both game really cool .

Anyone confirm it for us.

n64coder

I just bought Link's Awakening DX. All reviews point to it being amongst the best titles on the 3DS, either retail or digital. Given it's only about ten or so hours to beat, it should make for a great title to work through while I'm home.

10hrs? I don't think it's that short. I seem to remember playing for closer to 30 hours but it's possible that my memory is hazy.

I agree with some of the others that Link to the Past is probably the best title. LA is great. OOT is also great. Zelda 1/2 are still good but harder to get into.

I just picked up Oracle of Seasons + Ages on the J-eShop since they're discounted. Which one should I play through first? Does it not matter?

I'm sorry if someone else already asked this question...

I just picked up Oracle of Seasons + Ages on the J-eShop since they're discounted. Which one should I play through first? Does it not matter?

It doesn't matter. You can play them in either order, just make sure to finish one before you start the other so that you can link the save files.

vdlow

I've never played them, but in Hyrule Historia, Oracle of Seasons is comes before in the timeline. So, I guess you should start with Seasons and then go to Ages.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Maybe pick a better game?

image.php

You did not just go there.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Took me about 13 hours to beat it on my 3DS playthrough of DX, with 100% of heart pieces collected. That's with knowing where everything is and how to do everything. I wasn't blazing through it though. I could see spending closer to 20 hours on it, if you're new to the game and maybe new to Zelda entirely. It's about no par with A Link to the Past, if people are really worried about it.

Captain N

A World of Keflings Comes to Win 8 Today, Wii U Later This Year

OREM, Utah – March 13, 2013 – The Keflings are spreading like rabbits. A World of Keflings, the popular city-building game that first made a splash on Xbox Live Arcade, arrived on the Windows 8 Games Store today, becoming the latest of a handful of XBLA titles to release on Microsoft’s new operating system.

“With the current generation of consoles coming to an end, we saw opportunities to bring what is perhaps our studio’s most well-loved game to many, many more players,” said Brent Fox, Art Director at NinjaBee. “With that said, we’re proud to announce that in addition to today’s release on Windows 8, A World of Keflings will be coming to the Wii U later this year.”

“Both of these new platforms offered us huge advantages and were ideal marketplaces for a light-hearted city-builder,” Fox said. “Windows 8 gave us the chance to make the game mobile and add in very smooth, natural touch controls. The Wii U has allowed us to significantly enhance the game’s visuals and, with the Wii U GamePad, explore new ways to interact with the game and its characters.”

As an Xbox game on Windows 8, A World of Keflings makes use of the power of Xbox Live to enhance the gaming experience. By signing into Xbox Live, gamers can play as their individualized Xbox Avatar, compete for high scores on Xbox Live Leaderboards, and unlock 20 all-new Achievements. Even gamers who have already earned full Gamerscore from the Xbox 360 version of A World of Keflings will be able to earn an additional 200 Achievement Points when playing on Windows 8.

A World of Keflings on Windows 8 also provides intuitive touch controls and a new picture-in-picture feature allowing players to quickly explore the map while keeping an eye their avatar’s progress.

The game is now available for purchase in the Windows Games Store for 6.99 USD and supports both Windows 8 and Windows RT. The DLC offerings for A World of Keflings are not yet available on Windows 8. A World of Keflings on Windows 8 does not include multiplayer or Avatar FameStar functionality.

A World of Keflings for the Wii U will release later this year.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hope the Wii U version has Mii support. I'd triple-dip.

For those not familiar the game is basically the resource gathering and city building component of an RTS mixed with a little bit of LEGOs and a character-driven story. It's peaceful, there is no combat or aggression. It's relaxing, funny, and very joyous.

Captain N

Hope the Wii U version has Mii support. I'd triple-dip.

For those not familiar the game is basically the resource gathering and city building component of an RTS mixed with a little bit of LEGOs and a character-driven story. It's peaceful, there is no combat or aggression. It's relaxing, funny, and very joyous.

I tried posting a thread about it, but remembered I got bumped down to a Jr. I think its big enough news to have its own thread. its going from PC/XBLA only title to Wii U eShop as well.

A World of Keflings Comes to Win 8 Today, Wii U Later This Year

OREM, Utah – March 13, 2013 – The Keflings are spreading like rabbits. A World of Keflings, the popular city-building game that first made a splash on Xbox Live Arcade, arrived on the Windows 8 Games Store today, becoming the latest of a handful of XBLA titles to release on Microsoft’s new operating system.

“With the current generation of consoles coming to an end, we saw opportunities to bring what is perhaps our studio’s most well-loved game to many, many more players,” said Brent Fox, Art Director at NinjaBee. “With that said, we’re proud to announce that in addition to today’s release on Windows 8, A World of Keflings will be coming to the Wii U later this year.”

“Both of these new platforms offered us huge advantages and were ideal marketplaces for a light-hearted city-builder,” Fox said. “Windows 8 gave us the chance to make the game mobile and add in very smooth, natural touch controls. The Wii U has allowed us to significantly enhance the game’s visuals and, with the Wii U GamePad, explore new ways to interact with the game and its characters.”

As an Xbox game on Windows 8, A World of Keflings makes use of the power of Xbox Live to enhance the gaming experience. By signing into Xbox Live, gamers can play as their individualized Xbox Avatar, compete for high scores on Xbox Live Leaderboards, and unlock 20 all-new Achievements. Even gamers who have already earned full Gamerscore from the Xbox 360 version of A World of Keflings will be able to earn an additional 200 Achievement Points when playing on Windows 8.

A World of Keflings on Windows 8 also provides intuitive touch controls and a new picture-in-picture feature allowing players to quickly explore the map while keeping an eye their avatar’s progress.

The game is now available for purchase in the Windows Games Store for 6.99 USD and supports both Windows 8 and Windows RT. The DLC offerings for A World of Keflings are not yet available on Windows 8. A World of Keflings on Windows 8 does not include multiplayer or Avatar FameStar functionality.

A World of Keflings for the Wii U will release later this year.

Ooh! This has my attention, do I spy... EFFORT?! :p

Top Bottom