• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - May 2014

terrisus

Anyone try that 16-bit-esque JRPG that came out on the 3DS a couple weeks back? Any good?

--->

Some quick (30 minutes or so) thoughts on Grinsia:

Pretty much your pretty standard SNES-era-style turn-based RPG (which, for me, is a very good thing, as that's exactly what I wanted)

Has an "Automatic KO" system (like in Earthbound), where if you're significantly stronger than an enemy, you automatically win the battle. Further, this is actually an option that can be toggled Off or On, so if you don't want to do it that way, you don't have to (although I don't know why you would - every RPG since Earthbound should've had this feature)

World map is pretty darn big. No idea how it will actually end up playing out, but from an initial impression, there appears to be a whole bunch of stuff there.

Intro to the story was pretty corny, but, meh, whatever. As I said, only just started, so can't really comment beyond that.

Basically, if you like SNES-style turn-based RPGs, this appears to be a pretty good choice, as it seems to fit into that mold pretty well.
If that type of game isn't your thing though, you'll want to pass, as there isn't anything here that would win you over otherwise.

I still need to finish up Bravely Default, so it's probably going to be a bit before I put too much time into this game. But, very glad to have it on the 3DS now, since, despite buying it for Android ages ago, I was unlikely to ever put any time into it with touchscreen controls.

joedick

It's a good price but things like this really irk me, what is the extra dollar for? It's like you said it's almost as if they acknowledge it was heavily fan requested and cashed in for no other reason than that.

Are you mad about supply and demand?

jholmes

Has anyone run a story yet about Fit Music? Not the actual gameplay, but the shameful viral marketing behind it? They are posing as legitimate posters recommending the game. They don't have any posts other than in the Fit Music communities and often don't have a checkmark showing ownership of the title. I find this highly unethical and offensive. Again, they're pretending to be gamers instead of the game makers.

This does appear to be the situation. Bafflingly, some have bought the game in another territory and have the checkmark, but they didn't bother to get the North American build. It's just baffling -- do they think people would normally post about one game in multiple territories? And why not just spend the $18 or whatever to get another copy? Or hell, just toss them a free code? And WHY is the game 11 GB?!

This is really something. Hopefully the GAF-lurking media seizes on this.

Does SFA2 or any other non-GBA VC games released lately have the same enhancements that the GBA VC games do?

EDIT: Also, why on Earth is Super Metroid number 1 in the eShop Recent Best Sellers chart?

GWX

Does SFA2 or any other non-GBA VC games released lately have the same enhancements that the GBA VC games do?

EDIT: Also, why on Earth is Super Metroid number 1 in the eShop Recent Best Sellers chart?

Club Nintendo has Super Metroid as a reward this month.

GWX

Also, it's awesome.

And it's the best Metroid game

It is, indeed. A masterpiece, if you may. Controls irk me a bit, though: I know this released way earlier, but wish it controlled like Metroid: Zero Mission, where the missiles where shot by pressing down a dedicated button (I think it was L) plus the shoot button. I waste waaaay too much missiles because I forget to press Y to stop using them :lol

maxcriden

thanks if anyone can answer

Haven't played it, but I generally trust this site's reviews, and they gave it an 8/10:

There's no denying that the original Super Nintendo port of Capcom's Street Fighter 2 arcade hit was extremely impressive and damn near arcade-perfect, but there's also something to be said for the job they did in bringing a very ambitious Street Fighter Alpha 2 arcade title to the console without having to sacrifice too much in the transition. Sure the visuals are a bit toned down and the brief loading times are irksome but overall the game is intact and still every bit as playable as it was in the arcades. Fans of the Alpha series will likely find this Super Nintendo release quite solid and a good bargain at 800 Wii Points. And anyone that has yet to give the Alpha series a try, now might be as good a time as any.

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/vc/street_fighter_alpha_2_snes

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's a good price but things like this really irk me, what is the extra dollar for? It's like you said it's almost as if they acknowledge it was heavily fan requested and cashed in for no other reason than that.

GB games don't have a set price on 3DS, they seemingly have tiers. Other high profile games come out at the higher price, lower profile stuff goes at the lower price.

Shauni

GB games don't have a set price on 3DS, they seemingly have tiers. Other high profile games come out at the higher price, lower profile stuff goes at the lower price.

Which games are lower than $2.99? I don't have my 3DS on me to check right now.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Playing Advance Wars on the Gamepad. soooogud.gif

Please just flood us with AWs and FEs forever, IS.

deleted

The 3DS has three firmwares: one for 3DS games, one for DS/DSi games and another one for the GBA games. When you launch a GBA or DS/DSi game, the system actually reboots into the corresponding firmware.

These firmware aren't the actual DS/DSi and GBA firmwares: they are basically there to provide the functionality DS/DSi/GBA games expect and make them work with the rest of the system. The rest of the system doesn't cease to exist: in DS and GBA mode the 3DS GPU is running, since it's used to scale the image and to render the popup window that shows up when you press the HOME button and the firmware maps the circle pad input into the D-pad, for example.

In theory Nintendo could beef up these firmwares to provide the same functionality as the default firmware, but I suspect the way DS (and GBA) games interact with the hardware doesn't play well with the ability to run multiple processes in parallel that native 3DS software do. In the case of DS games, there are also security risks, since save games can be compromised and the native 3DS firmware has processes in background that can do stuff like install software.

GBA games have encrypted saves, so they couldn't be as easily compromised, but other technical details make the home menu a problem. For example, the GBA doesn't have a native suspend feature. Unlike DS games, pressing HOME doesn't pause the GBA games. If the GBA games had the full home menu, they would still keep running in background. This is actually true for some DS games: the HOME button sends a "lid closed" input to DS games and some DS games can ignore this in some circumstances (like playing online). These games wouldn't be suspended in background either.

I think I even saw mode 7 and transparencies in some of those games. Based Namco.

Edit: Bad timing.

It has a BIOS which kind of acts as one. In the early day of emulators Metroid Fusion would not play properly if you were missing the BIOS so games do make use of it.

But the 3DS firmware does come with a GBA firmware (dumps of the firmware show this) so it might be pseudo GBA even rather than DS mode. I assume this acts as the BIOS, handles the home button working and re-writes some of the read-write bits to an allocated bit of RAM and SD card and handles any other problems (like does the 3DS still have the GBA sound chip bits even).

Given GBA VC was handed to M2 on the Wii U side I think that should tell you how much of a priority GBA is for Nintendo.

IIRC this happened to some people a few months ago and it seemed to be somewhat widespread for when it happened suggesting a mess up on the Nintendo side. Pending charges do eventually vanish (it is an annoying thing from the banking side, I'm still waiting for my £112 to be re-usable from the Wii U deal that was not).

Thanks guys, that makes it a bit easier to understand the hardware limitations. So I guess it would be possible, but just isn't a priority for Nintendo.

For the bolded - I'm not sure I understand this correctly. I would guess it is a rather huge priority for Nintendo if they source it out to a company that excels in emulation. But you could also point out, that Nintendo doesn't bother enough to handle the VC in house.
So which is it? :p

Shiggy

Has anyone run a story yet about Fit Music? Not the actual gameplay, but the shameful viral marketing behind it? They are posing as legitimate posters recommending the game. They don't have any posts other than in the Fit Music communities and often don't have a checkmark showing ownership of the title. I find this highly unethical and offensive. Again, they're pretending to be gamers instead of the game makers.

To give further weight to your allegations:

spinelloqhsxx.jpg

spinello26ws6f.jpg

http://www.oxygenemedia.it/about

And for some reasons all of the other posters are from Italy...

tebunker

Banned
Anyone get or have played Squids Odyssey yet?

I see that it is an Hd compilation of a couple of iOS titles with some added content. It has reviewed well and looks decent, but I have some trepidation. Also not as excited that they drastically raised the price versus just buying the mobile versions.

Just got Superstar Saga because I was getting stressed out on the complexity of Wonderful 101.

Forgot how good the Mario RPGs were you know for what should be the "My 1st JRPG", while simple, it's pretty masterfully done with 1st attacks and the length of battles. And all those 15 sec battles require some attention.

jmizzal

Zelda The Minish Cap coming to the VC next week in Europe, will NA get it too? Or will we still lag behind, we still dont have Mario Kart SNES smh

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
was street fighter alpha 2 on SNES good?

Not really. The game was probably too much for the SNES to handle and as a result, it got a lot of cut animation, muffled sound, and had load times. It's only worth checking out for curiosity's sake or if you're a collector. No point in bothering with it when there are arcade-perfect ports available on other platforms.

Haven't played it, but I generally trust this site's reviews, and they gave it an 8/10:

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/vc/street_fighter_alpha_2_snes

8/10 for a shoddy port is ridiculous. It was almost-tolerable in the late 90s but is not a port that has aged well.

Penguin

Anyone get or have played Squids Odyssey yet?

I see that it is an Hd compilation of a couple of iOS titles with some added content. It has reviewed well and looks decent, but I have some trepidation. Also not as excited that they drastically raised the price versus just buying the mobile versions.

I have

What do you have worries about

tebunker

Banned
I have

What do you have worries about

Is it worth the "HD Tax" so to speak? Have you read any of the reviews? Are they accurate? Any general impressions.

It looks interesting, the strategy, and style and game play look neat, but I was put off by the price tag

L Thammy

To give further weight to your allegations:

spinelloqhsxx.jpg

spinello26ws6f.jpg

http://www.oxygenemedia.it/about

And for some reasons all of the other posters are from Italy...

This is pretty damn sleazy, and is totally worthy of a thread. Has anyone posted one yet?
(Make sure to note that it isn't Wii Fit.)

EDIT: Well, I probably reacted too much, but it's still sleazy. Four of the people in the player posts have not posted in any other community. Hm.

maxcriden

Someone should contact Nintendo Life to write a story about Fit Music's purported shadiness. Or alternately, start a separate thread.

Would be funny if Minish Cap and Lttle Dew hit the same day! LoLz

That would be kinda mean. I don't think Ittle Dew is a bad game, but god damn is it short. It really does make it seem like spending $10 on that, or spending $8 on Minish Cap an easy choice if you hadn't played either before.

Haha, sweet Jesus, no. The demo was one of the worst things I've played on the 3DS.
This speaks more to the quantity you've played moreso than the game's quality. It's not bad, just sorta bland.

If you've played Code of Princess and Mirror of Fate already and feel like supporting a tiny studio from Thailand, the game isn't bad.

So my GF got an American 2DS (the new pink one!) that can now be used for our import machine (we're from New Zealand).

Quick question, what is the best way to use the eStore? Set it to US and buy points cards from somewhere or set it to like Brazil and use a credit card and buy funds?

I just ask because I remember needing to set my NTSC Wii to Brazil to be able to use a NZ credit card with the store or else it wouldn't work.

Cheers.

According to NintendoLife, Alien on the Run is a really good little game, its from g-style, the same ones from jump trials supreme .

So my GF got an American 2DS (the new pink one!) that can now be used for our import machine (we're from New Zealand).

Quick question, what is the best way to use the eStore? Set it to US and buy points cards from somewhere or set it to like Brazil and use a credit card and buy funds?

I just ask because I remember needing to set my NTSC Wii to Brazil to be able to use a NZ credit card with the store or else it wouldn't work.

Cheers.

the US eshop has cheaper retail games and the atlus sales .

LayLa

Cheers.

Set it to Canada and you can use your credit card - only downsides to this are that different states charge different rates of tax within the eshop so choose carefully, and prices of full games have been creeping up in the Canadian eshop because exchange rates have been unfavourable

the US eshop has cheaper retail games and the atlus sales .

So I should set it to US and get like the prepaid cards from play-asia sorta thing? Thats cool, thanks.

Any recommended (eStore exclusive or retail I will import) notable games we missed out on here in 'PAL' to get me started?

And before everyone says it, I already have SMTIV. :p

Edit: Hmm didn't think of Canada, to be honest I'm more likely to buy full retail games physically and the eStore would be used just for eStore games or VC or whatever. Am I better off just using the prepaid card thing every-so-often?

So I should set it to US and get like the prepaid cards from play-asia sorta thing? Thats cool, thanks.

Any recommended (eStore exclusive or retail I will import) notable games we missed out on here in 'PAL' to get me started?

And before everyone says it, I already have SMTIV. :p

Edit: Hmm didn't think of Canada, to be honest I'm more likely to buy full retail games physically and the eStore would be used just for eStore games or VC or whatever. Am I better off just using the prepaid card thing every-so-often?

I imported a US 3ds XL and then i imported a bunch of 50$ eshop cards, i really dont like buying just the codes online and it was cheaper

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I'm not sure I'm enjoying Ittle Dew as much as I'd like and anticipated :/
The game looks lovely, really it seems the word has been cut around this game's visuals because it's really that: LOVELY. You could easily mistaken it for a top notch Nintendo 2D production and if the sheer quality of the art could've been followed by comparable variety/quantity then you'd get a perfect match.
The downfall of the game IMO is its mediocre combat mechanics. Honestly, it looks like the devs knew that from the beginning since Ittle Dew is a 2D Zelda sans combat and enough action to really be considered a proper Zelda-esque game: the vast majority of ID's gameplay revolves around puzzle-solving of the push-this-block nature. I miss the action, but the combat's so mediocre that you'll be happy there's so little of it and yet... something's missing. Boss battles are also puzzles to solve and in true Zelda fashion you'll be using the latest item you've acquired to beat it. Also, the game is pretty short and if it weren't for the production values the asking price would be honestly way too much. I'm not one to value filler/padding in a game or even prioritize the length of a game over a tightly built experience, but I feel there's some minimum standards a game should aim for and provide in relation to the asking price (I mean, I didn't buy Ground Zeroes despite loving MGS and dying to play it). I liked the story, it's charmingly simple and well written and the characters borrowed from TWW Link's designs appeal to infuse their portraits with character and emotions, I loved that!

Well, just my two cents anyway... hopefully it'll d...DON'T SHOOT ME PLEASE! XD

Top Bottom