• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - May 2014

Yumi's Odd Odyssey sale is tempting.

Rune Factory 4 is published by XSeed.

wow , thats news for me , so natsume doesnt publish rune factory anymore too...

sörine;114045898 said:
Probably make their own Harvest Moon games. Maybe with the original Harvest Moon creator's new company.

Did they publish Hometown story?
that could be a new franchise

tolkir

sörine;114045898 said:
Probably make their own Harvest Moon games. Maybe with the original Harvest Moon creator's new company.

If you want off-tv don't buy it. There's no audio for the gamepad.

Other Giana-gate.

sörine;114045898 said:

That's all we know on the game? I'm not really interested in off tv since my stupid game pad doesn't connect at more than four feet. :/

Slermy

So, I grabbed Mega Man 5 from the eShop (NES release, not the GB one) and I noticed that the Mega Buster sound doesn't play 90% of the time when charging. Has anyone else noticed this?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
That's all we know on the game? I'm not really interested in off tv since my stupid game pad doesn't connect at more than four feet. :/

Posted my impressions a few pages back:

Originally Posted by Dash Kappei
I'm not sure I'm enjoying Ittle Dew as much as I'd like and had anticipated :/
The game looks lovely, really it seems the word has been cut around this game's visuals because it's really that: LOVELY. You could easily mistaken it for a top notch Nintendo 2D production and if the sheer quality of the art could've been followed by comparable variety/quantity then you'd get a perfect match.
The downfall of the game IMO is its mediocre combat mechanics. Honestly, it looks like the devs knew that from the beginning since Ittle Dew is a 2D Zelda sans combat and enough action to really be considered a proper Zelda-esque game: the vast majority of ID's gameplay revolves around puzzle-solving of the push-this-block nature. I miss the action, but the combat's so mediocre that you'll be happy there's so little of it and yet... something's missing. Boss battles are also puzzles to solve and in true Zelda fashion you'll be using the latest item you've acquired to beat it. Also, the game is pretty short and if it weren't for the production values the asking price would be honestly way too much. I'm not one to value filler/padding in a game or even prioritize the length of a game over a tightly built experience, but I feel there's some minimum standards a game should aim for and provide in relation to the asking price (I mean, I didn't buy Ground Zeroes despite loving MGS and dying to play it). I liked the story, it's charmingly simple and well written and the characters borrowed from TWW Link's designs appeal to infuse their portraits with character and emotions, I loved that! If you plan to play it on the gamepad beware that the game needs patching since it currently doesn't output sound in off-tv mode, kinda crazy that passed QA and Nintendo's certification.

Well, just my two cents anyway... hopefully it'll d...DON'T SHOOT ME PLEASE! XD

donny2112

sörine;114045898 said:

Thank you! Basically only play Wii U in off-TV mode, so that's definitely a great reason to hold off until that's patched. :)

No reviews on ittle Dew? I thought it looked promising.
It's a neat little puzzle game focused on creative speed running, don't go into thinking it's anything like Zelda, because those similarities are surface level (if that).

I put twelve hours into the Steam version for 100% achievements, I don't know if they added any additional content for Wii U, but it's a solid $10 game if you like block puzzles and speed running.

If you have any questions about it, just let me know.

Edit: I'll go a little deeper.

If you only want to get the game to play once and "beat," it'll probably take you two to five hours. But the REAL meat of this game is in replaying it using different limited combinations of the three available items. Each set of items creates new paths and puzzles inside the main castle, sometimes requiring some creative use of your limited item set. AND it goes beyond that, because there are multiple shortcuts inside every single dungeon and set of items, but these require some crazy puzzle solving to unlock. So once you've finished the game with all four item combinations, there's an even greater challenge on doing it as quickly as possible using a variety of these challenging shortcuts.

1001 Spikes confirmed for June 3rd for Wii U and 3DS. Apparently a patch is incoming to fix some issues.
Lol after they tweeted that June 3 was only for the PSN version, I became one of 'those people' and bitched on their Facebook about how completely incompetent they were that they couldn't even get a day and date release right for a game they've been working on for three years and assured them they'd lost two sales.

Good on them. I'll reward them by buying it on 3DS and Wii

Edit: You forgot to mention the loyalty program for the 3DS. If you own Cave Story+, NightSky or Ikachan you get 1001 Spikes for $5 off.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
sörine;114045898 said:
WHY!?

I enjoyed the game quite a bit. The puzzles are very clever, specially the end-game ones (or trying to complete the game with missing items). However, the Android version was considerably cheaper, which might had helped things.

wilflare

not sure where else I could ask
anyone using a headset with the WiiU

I can't seem to get my PS Wireless PULSE Elite working w it

cacildo

Looks like How to Survive is finally coming to WiiU next week June 5th listed on the Euro eShop, I think this will be for NA also, since the devs has said in the past the NA game was ready well before the European version, maybe the long wait has been getting approved for both regions

http://nintendoeverything.com/how-to-survive-may-finally-be-hitting-the-european-eshop-next-week/

And after all, is it good?

I was looking forward to it when the WiiU had a dought. Right now i have too much to play already.

But if its something really fun with guns to play with the girlfriend, maybe ill give it a try?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Isn't Ikachan only $5 anyway? So if you don't have any of these games and plan to buy 1001 Spikes, you should buy Ikachan first.

maxcriden

1001 Spikes confirmed for June 3rd for Wii U and 3DS. Apparently a patch is incoming to fix some issues.

The downside is that Nicalis has found " a few issues" at the 11th hour, and the initial releases will have those issues — on the flipside it says "Nintendo has assured us that an update could be issued within a couple of days of release to knock out those bugs". As a result the studio has decided to release the games alongside the other platforms and will, presumably, get that fix applied promptly.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/05/1001_spikes_hitting_3ds_and_wii_u_on_3rd_june

Pretty discomfiting :(

I hope these bugs aren't too major.

maxcriden

I've been aching for 1001 Spikes since it was announced, but dat discount means day 1. Did I miss a price announcement?

I think it's $15 before the discount (which is for 3DS only but IIRC you have one).

And after all, is it good?

I was looking forward to it when the WiiU had a dought. Right now i have too much to play already.

But if its something really fun with guns to play with the girlfriend, maybe ill give it a try?

It's supposed to be just okay to mixed based on other versions' reviews:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/how-to-survive

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/how-to-survive

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/how-to-survive

ETA: double post, whoops. Sorry!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
but ikachan is short as fuck, buy cave story , is the better game .
Agreed. Even when I got Ikachan on sale (I think $3?), it just felt so short with absolutely no replay value (I think you can beat it in about an hour). If you want to check out what feels like the prototype of Cave Story, then I GUESS get it (maybe wait for a sale again), but it feels like it would have been better as an unlockable in one of the many versions of Cave Story or something.

enishi

It seems that 3DS Japan eshop stopped releasing VC titles for nearly 1 month (last title was DK GBC on 7th May)

Any clue on this move?

maxcriden

Speaking of Cave Story, I'm a bit turned around on the differences between all of the Wii/DSi/3DS versions and which is best for someone new to the series. My understanding is that they're all ostensibly the same game. If so, what is the best version? Thank you!

Muzy72

Banned
Speaking of Cave Story, I'm a bit turned around on the differences between all of the Wii/DSi/3DS versions and which is best for someone new to the series. My understanding is that they're all ostensibly the same game. If so, what is the best version? Thank you!
3DS is definitely the best version IMO.

L Thammy

I haven't tried the others myself, but apparently Cave Story+ is the best version. Should be a 3DS version of it alongside the DS version, and it contains everything from the Wii version. Cave Story 3D is actually a 2.5D remake, but apparently it's glitchy and doesn't have the content from Cave Story+.

Of course, there's always the freeware PC version.

The game looks lovely, really it seems the word has been cut around this game's visuals because it's really that: LOVELY. You could easily mistaken it for a top notch Nintendo 2D production and if the sheer quality of the art could've been followed by comparable variety/quantity then you'd get a perfect match.
The downfall of the game IMO is its mediocre combat mechanics. Honestly, it looks like the devs knew that from the beginning since Ittle Dew is a 2D Zelda sans combat and enough action to really be considered a proper Zelda-esque game: the vast majority of ID's gameplay revolves around puzzle-solving of the push-this-block nature. I miss the action, but the combat's so mediocre that you'll be happy there's so little of it and yet... something's missing. Boss battles are also puzzles to solve and in true Zelda fashion you'll be using the latest item you've acquired to beat it. Also, the game is pretty short and if it weren't for the production values the asking price would be honestly way too much. I'm not one to value filler/padding in a game or even prioritize the length of a game over a tightly built experience, but I feel there's some minimum standards a game should aim for and provide in relation to the asking price (I mean, I didn't buy Ground Zeroes despite loving MGS and dying to play it). I liked the story, it's charmingly simple and well written and the characters borrowed from TWW Link's designs appeal to infuse their portraits with character and emotions, I loved that! If you plan to play it on the gamepad beware that the game needs patching since it currently doesn't output sound in off-tv mode, kinda crazy that passed QA and Nintendo's certification.

Well, just my two cents anyway... hopefully it'll d...DON'T SHOOT ME PLEASE! XD
Thanks! Glad I didn't spring. A lot of these indie games are deceiving. I'm not a fan of one-trick pony games. I want a varied experience.

Murrah

Banned

I haven't played the 3DS retail version yet, but Cave Story eShop or Cave Story+ on Steam are definitely the way to go. + has everything from the WiiWare version plus two new challenge thingies, plus they added in an option to use 3D's soundtrack (so three different versions of the soundtrack). eShop one doesn't have the redone graphics option from WiiWare or Steam or 3D's soundtrack option, but it does have all the new modes and whatnot, and I really like playing the game on a dpad and not my 360 controller on steam. And the stereoscopic 3D looks all right too

daydream

Banned
Thanks! Glad I didn't spring. A lot of these indie games are deceiving. I'm not a fan of one-trick pony games. I want a varied experience.

Wow. So Zelda or any other game is a one-trick pony, also? All games offer a limited array of mechanics.

Also, I'm sure your indie preconceptions must make things a lot easier. Good for you!

Edit: To be clear, it's not about your purchasing decision. I will continue to jump on everyone who makes ridiculous generalisations about indie games as if they were a homogenous body of work, though.

terrisus

Natsume doesnt make Harvest Moon games, they translate them. Marvelous makes them, and Marvelous now owns XSEED. Makes no sense for them to use Natsume anymore.

Yeah, I know - but it's still difficult to think about Harvest Moon without Natsume being in there.

zroid

Banned
Yeah, I know - but it's still difficult to think about Harvest Moon without Natsume being in there.

Yeah I can relate, especially because the Harvest Moon name itself is now dead. In the end though, this is probably for the best. XSEED has a better track record than Natsume and the fact they are owned by Marvelous will streamline the localization process.

Wow. So Zelda or any other game is a one-trick pony, also? All games offer a limited array of mechanics.

Also, I'm sure your indie preconceptions must make things a lot easier. Good for you!

Edit: To be clear, it's not about your purchasing decision. I will continue to jump on everyone who makes ridiculous generalisations about indie games as if they were a homogenous body of work, though.
I don't think you understand. Zelda is a varied experience. From the review ittle Dew sounds like all puzzle and no adventure.

tebunker

Banned
I don't think you understand. Zelda is a varied experience. From the review ittle Dew sounds like all puzzle and no adventure.

watching the wife play now, plenty of adventure, but it is just more puzzle heavy that it appears at first glance

If I could give it a good description, think if Adventures of Lolo and The Legend of Zelda had an illegitimate child. Their is a lot from both games here, and it is fun. It may not be for everyone.

maxcriden

3DS is definitely the best version IMO.

I haven't tried the others myself, but apparently Cave Story+ is the best version. Should be a 3DS version of it alongside the DS version, and it contains everything from the Wii version. Cave Story 3D is actually a 2.5D remake, but apparently it's glitchy and doesn't have the content from Cave Story+.

Of course, there's always the freeware PC version.

I haven't played the 3DS retail version yet, but Cave Story eShop or Cave Story+ on Steam are definitely the way to go. + has everything from the WiiWare version plus two new challenge thingies, plus they added in an option to use 3D's soundtrack (so three different versions of the soundtrack). eShop one doesn't have the redone graphics option from WiiWare or Steam or 3D's soundtrack option, but it does have all the new modes and whatnot, and I really like playing the game on a dpad and not my 360 controller on steam. And the stereoscopic 3D looks all right too

Thanks guys! So just to be sure I understand, Cave Story 3DS (not to be confused with Cave Story 3D) has the same content as Cave Story + (i.e. the challenge stuff)?

Top Bottom