• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS: the new design !

btrboyev said:
is it using bigger screens now? they look much wider..like 16:9.

give me this bitch in black...drool..............

Yeah, I noticed that to.

I can see gamers now, just holding it for hours without even turning it on.

Sagitario

CVXFREAK said:
I think the power button might be in a bad place though... what if someone accidentally presses it?

That's what I was thinking...

explodet said:
If it was up to me I'd have the power button require the user to hold it down for a few seconds to shut it off.

But then it's not up to me.

That would be a good solution...

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
TheGreenGiant said:
I'll be the first to say it but I now think the DS looks better than PSP. visually

As for specs+usability

clam shell +1
power/battery life +1

The DS owns the little PSP bitch

Amazing, you know what the PSP Battery life is!
Tell us your source!

Meanwhile the PSP produces graphics better then the 64

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
THANK GOD. Much better. The E3 version looked very prototype-ish. This looks quite sleek..has the same retro/geometric tones that have permeated through the GC/GBA-SP designs imo. I love the bevelled look when closed.

edit - and yes, the screens do look bigger..but it may just be the way the top is angled..

Press release is up at NOA's site, along with pictures featuring a right-justified logo!
f49a1422-f6e3-44ba-b146-8ec0b3214dc9.jpg

32c25001-25c6-4332-bdf2-9b8cadac6395.jpg

The press release at NOA

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It looks really superb. The power button thing is the only iffy bit in my opinion, although after actually holding one I could have all kinds of other comments.

Too bad I have no plans to buy one.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
TheGreenGiant said:
yeah. but only for so long. unless you want to look like the borg with that wrist battery pack.

NINTENDO WINS! BC WINS!

*sigh*
its no use

Bregor

The NOA press release says that the buttons are larger, and that the unit is slimmer (which would make the screens look bigger).

Dante

Looks better, although the PSP design is still much more slick IMO. I actually think this new design has a more retro feel to it then the old one. Too bad the software hasn't really grabbed me yet, I am sure that will change in time though.

btrboyev

where have you been? we've known the ds will have a built in mic since E3 .

and no the screens definately are wider..just look at the old model: the screens were 4:3..the new ones look 16:9.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Hmmm. There appears to be a volume knob on the bottom right, near the earphone jack. What is the slot/switch/nub on the bottom left, then?

Whoever sits in Nintendo's labs and designs things like the SP and the DS should get a raise.

Kon Tiki

Banned
"Dual screens, chat
functions
, a touch screen, wireless capabilities, voice recognition --
these abilities surpass anything attempted before, and consumers will
benefit from the creativity and innovation the new features bring to
the world of video games."

AIM? MSN? NIM?

FightyF

Banned
I think it looks a whole lot better!

Though I still think it shouldn't be released :)

Does it have a built in microphone? What does "MIC." refer to?

mj1108

DavidDayton said:
Ok... now for Nintendo to explain the "play with friends from overseas" Reggie comment.

Reggie said at E3 you could play against friends in other time zones (Wi-Fi). Nothing that isn't already known.

nubbe

Fight for Freeform said:
Does it have a built in microphone? What does "MIC." refer to?
It's one of the major selling points

Besides... It will be they key feature in DoA for DS... together with the touch screen... eheh

neptunes

DavidDayton said:
Hmmm. There appears to be a volume knob on the bottom right, near the earphone jack. What is the slot/switch/nub on the bottom left, then?

Whoever sits in Nintendo's labs and designs things like the SP and the DS should get a raise.

I belive it took more than on person to come up with the re-designs.

probably a small group in their R&D department.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
I have an intense desire to lick my monitor while looking at the giant pics posted above.

mj1108

July 28, 2004 03:00 AM US Eastern Timezone

Nintendo Announces Official Name and New Design for Nintendo DS; More Than 120 Games in Development Worldwide for Nintendo's New Game Platform

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 28, 2004--In preparation for the launch of Nintendo DS(TM) in North America and Japan later this year, Nintendo today announces major global developments for the innovative dual-screen, wireless, hand-held video game system.

Nintendo DS, originally chosen as the code name, has been selected as the official product name. The Nintendo DS name evokes the idea of a portable system with "dual screens," providing the rationale for the final name. The hardware also has been redesigned to sport a slimmer, sharper look. The retooled Nintendo DS features a thinner, black base and an angular platinum flip-top cover. The face buttons and shoulder buttons are larger, and some have been reconfigured for optimum use. The unit includes a new storage slot for the touch screen's stylus, and the speakers now broadcast in stereo sound, with or without headphones.

"The Nintendo DS will change the future of hand-held gaming," says Satoru Iwata, president of Nintendo Co., Ltd. "Dual screens, chat functions, a touch screen, wireless capabilities, voice recognition -- these abilities surpass anything attempted before, and consumers will benefit from the creativity and innovation the new features bring to the world of video games."

Software companies worldwide have more than 120 Nintendo DS games in development. Nintendo alone is developing more than 20 titles, and in excess of 100 companies have signed on to create games for the new system.

"The innovative functions make Nintendo DS a superior game device, while the chat feature and ability to detect other DS units make it a social device as well," says Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of sales and marketing. "We've figured out the magic of what makes portable game play so attractive to consumers. We've defeated nine challengers and once again we're prepared to win."

Nintendo will announce the launch date, price and game lineup for Nintendo DS at a later date.

The worldwide leader and innovator in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its popular home and portable video game systems. Each year, hundreds of all-new titles for the best-selling Game Boy(R) Advance and Nintendo GameCube(TM) systems extend Nintendo's vast game library and continue the tradition of delivering a rich, diverse mix of quality video games for players of all ages. Since the release of its first home video game system in 1983, Nintendo has sold more than 1.9 billion video games and more than 170 million hardware units globally, creating enduring industry icons such as Mario(TM) and Donkey Kong(R) and launching popular culture franchise phenomena such as Metroid(R), Zelda(TM) and Pokemon(R). A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo's operations in the Western Hemisphere. For more information about Nintendo, visit the company's Web site at www.nintendo.com.

Nothing about the screens being larger....

cvxfreak

Stereo sound? Way to go Nintendo!

EDIT: I hope GBA software is affected by the stereo too because of the GBA Video format.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Now all we need is a DS to LAN cable.

(Yes, I know.. I can buy a wifi router... but I really don't feel like it.)

nubbe

I don’t think the power button on the top is the actual power button, it’s probably the stand by button.
Since DS will be able to be in standby mode and notify you when you are within radius of someone else who has a DS in standby mode.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I am so hard right now ;)

Seriously, the Nintendo DS looks like Nintendo, Apple, and Bose designers had a threesome born lovechild. It looks magnificant. I told you guys! :p

And Square asking fans what games they want on the Nintendo DS?!? If you don't say a proper FF game, I will cast Bahamaut on you all!

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
I'm going to wait for the DS SP.

edit:
Chrono said:
If I like just ONE game on that sexy thing I'm getting one. :D
Wouldn't it suck if there wasn't a single game you wanted for the DS? ;P

Chrono

Banned
Scrow said:
I'm going to wait for the DS SP.

I do not think that will happen. When GBA first came out it already had problems with screens getting scratched and no back light... the SP solved those. Also, with Revolution coming, and Nintendo still supporting the GBA, they'd be really stupid to throw in another variable in the mix and bother marketing the difference.

Just look at the NDS dude, you can see for yourself that there's nothing but sweet, sweet goodness oozing from it. ^__^

edit:

Wouldn't it suck if there wasn't a single game you wanted for the DS? ;P

It would. :(

Top Bottom