• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS: the new design !

Chrono

Banned
Lost Weekend said:
Hopefully we'll get the Platinum and some metallic colors. That would be nice (Especially a nice metallic banana yellow!)

lol banana yellow would suit a special donkey kong edition or something.. other then that it's just meh.. =\

Now a gold limited edition that comes with the first DS Zelda game... :D

GDGF

Soothsayer
I would want a SNES special edition one of these days, but I always thought the SNES was kinda ugly, even as a Nintendo fan :) Now a Super Famicom edition would kick much ass!

etiolate

Banned
They seemed to improve the design in many ways. Even the dpad looks bigger. The buttons are much closer in appearance to a Sony product than any previous Nintendo hardware. No color coordination. Nintendo is certainly trying to avoid the toys for kids image with this it seems.

neo2046

someone try to exchange the black and white color, and the result is not bad :)

up0265.png

GDGF

Soothsayer
Hey that's cool neo. If anyone would like to photoshop some colored versions (so that we may get an idea of what they might look like) please go ahead! :)

COCKLES

being watched
Looking good. But a bit too silver, like it needs another colour like black to break the colour scheme up a bit. And the space above the speakers looks a little barren - like there should be something there - perhaps Nintendo will ship it with stickers so you can customise it.

Deg

Banned
Looks fantastic.

COCKLES said:
Looking good. But a bit too silver, like it needs another colour like black to break the colour scheme up a bit. And the space above the speakers looks a little barren - like there should be something there - perhaps Nintendo will ship it with stickers so you can customise it.

Silver/metallic is the modern thing right now. Thats why the silver version will sell more than the others. They did mix in a little black though.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
TheGreenGiant said:
I'll be the first to say it but I now think the DS looks better than PSP. visually

As for specs+usability

clam shell +1
power/battery life +1

The DS owns the little PSP bitch

Can you just circle jerk without calling the PSP and its fans in ?

I told myself "leave this thread alone, you have nothing to add", well I guess I have something "DS's design has improoved, but it is still owning nobody" :p.

Belfast

Meh. It looks *better* but the PSP still makes it its bitch design wise. Though I honestly wish Nintendo would stop preying on consumers' "retro" sensibilities. It makes it seem like that's the only thing they can ever rely on to push sales.

GDGF

Soothsayer
:lol Why are all the PSP fans whining?!? You're making yourselves look bad! (as I said before, this is a Nintendo DS thread. He's got the right to state how he feels)

And you're allowed to make a PSP thread if you can't take the NDS gushing:)

Rock.

I liked the E3 design, as it resembled a futuristic Game & Watch, but this version is even better. This isn't as retro as some people make it out to be. Not everything has to look like a PS2 or PSP to be considered "modern" looking.

Now we need to see the launch line-up. I call...

Gattsu25

Banned
looks much better now...hopefully they drop the stylus and focus more on creating a better use for the mic and double screens

as it stands...this is higher on my list for a new portable than anything else...just have to wait and see how the games turn out

Tritroid

Now THAT is sexy. At least it'll be able to compete with PSP for sexiness now. :D

DjangoReinhardt said:
It looks better, but still a step back from the SP.

..No. This would be a step forward.

The other thing the redesign does confirm for us that Nintendo will continue creating hardware that is very sleek and sophisicated instead of childish or toy-like devices like the tradegy that was the original indigo GameCube! Absolutely hideous to most ppl.
I actually quite like the GameCube design (particually in Platinum colour) but I'm glad Nintendo's hardware designers have chosen not to design childish and toy-like devices anymore. I eagerly await the Revolution's design. It's going to be interesting to see how it turns out. I hope that the "revolutionary" feature(/s) don't make it look too weird or anything.

Outside of the GBASP and NDS I'd have to say the N64 was Nintendo's best designed piece of hardware. Certainly the best designed home console they ever made. The PAL SNES was good for it's time I suppose too.

nubbe

Red Dolphin said:
Outside of the GBASP and NDS I'd have to say the N64 was Nintendo's best designed piece of hardware. Certainly the best designed home console they ever made. The PAL SNES was good for it's time I suppose too.

N64 is the kiddiest design they ever made… If you look at it upside down you’ll see that it looks like a teddy head!
The Euro/Jap SNES was the best design since it was slim and sleek

SP/DS are the sexiest yet, compared to any console.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah, I would like an analog stick. But then I guess every Nintendo system has to have some huge obstacle to overcome, it's just their way. Then again, I'm not sure I'd want to be playing games that required analog precision when I'm on-the-go.

Ooooo... I just realized that I would love a racer where you had one screen for inside the car and one screen for outside the car. It wouldn't really be innovative but it would be really useful.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i think a lot of nintendo fans have got it in their heads that the gamecube is struggling because of its industrial design, and thus disparage it. i think gamecube is the best looking hardware nintendo have ever put out - it's impressively compact, and the shape is catchy. and it looks particularly good in indigo. as far as the case design goes, gamecube ROCKS.

n64 looks terrible and cheap. it reminds me of the genesis in that respect.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
As I've said (many, many) times before, you can't just put one analogue stick in. The system has to be symmetrical because of the touchscreen, to cater for lefthanded players too. So they'd have to put two in, or none.

Clealry they've gone for none. I wish they were there, but maybe it's a cost thing, I dunno.

cja

I'm worried that having the hinge in the middle is going to become a distraction during play. The old design, despite many thinking it was fugly, did surround the dual screens in black and have the hinges on the side. There was an apparent attempt to help focus the eyes on the displays. This redesign could be aesthetics over practicality.

Dice

Mama Smurf said:
As I've said (many, many) times before, you can't just put one analogue stick in. The system has to be symmetrical because of the touchscreen, to cater for lefthanded players too. So they'd have to put two in, or none.

Clealry they've gone for none. I wish they were there, but maybe it's a cost thing, I dunno.
...Huh? All games require you to use both hands, what kind of brain damage-induced lefthandedness are we talking about here?

Tritroid

Mama Smurf said:

Agreed.

And anyway, the stilus is intended to act as an analogue stick in a sense.

Mama Smurf

Dice said:
...Huh? All games require you to use both hands, what kind of brain damage-induced lefthandedness are we talking about here?

The kind practically everyone has. You know, for writing and drawing etc?

Dice

Hahaha, sorry to bait n's switch, but you see I am left handed. It's not an issue, trust me.

And anyway, the stilus is intended to act as an analogue stick in a sense.
I'm sure that will be just great to make fast minor adjustments of direction and speed in Mario 64, or take turns just right in racers, oh and all the tapping in that Metroid game... yes, those all sound so immersive and fun.

Mama Smurf

Yes, it is. It doesn't matter if you're right handed or left handed, you just have to switch the side of the analogue stick to your weaker one.

We've already seen a game where you have to draw a Pac-Man relatively clearly, a game where you have to precisely slice fruit as it flies across your screen, where you have to draw clouds quickly before Mario hits enemies etc...now maybe your right hand is far better than my left, but no way in hell would I want to have to use my left to do any of those things.

Kseutron

Reggie "The Meg4T0N" Fils Aime said > "We've defeated nine challengers and once again we're prepared to win."

MARRY ME REGGIE !

One of the nice advantage of the old contour design was it looked like you could slip it right in your back pocket.

main_DSoverview_lrg.jpg

look at how sleek the black stripe in the middle looked.

Damn complainers >:

Dice

Mama Smurf said:
Yes, it is. It doesn't matter if you're right handed or left handed, you just have to switch the side of the analogue stick to your weaker one.

We've already seen a game where you have to draw a Pac-Man relatively clearly, a game where you have to precisely slice fruit as it flies across your screen, where you have to draw clouds quickly before Mario hits enemies etc...now maybe your right hand is far better than my left, but no way in hell would I want to have to use my left to do any of those things.
I don't think any of those games need you to use the controls and stylus at the same time.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Wow, that looks nice... though the silver and black seem to contrast a bit, maybe if they toned down the black... I like how there's finally 4 buttons, like the style of the SNES controller (maybe we'll get some more SNES style games and ports for the system?). And the list of developers look really awesome... So far, the PSP I think is pretty ugly (there's way too much going on with all the buttons and stuff, the screen is too big compared to the rest of the system... the DS looks a bit more minimalist and I love the silver color (have a platinum SP)... I can't wait for them to release them in different colors, the emerald green SP with that Pokemon guy on it looks AMAZING. DS seems to have more original games, with the exception of MG:Acid, the only other PSP games I'd consider are Tales of Eternia and Ys 6, but I already have TOE for PSX and will be getting Ys 6 for PS2.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Obviously, this is much better. The only problem with the DS physical design (old and new) is that it's screens cover so little of the unit's surface that it has an inescapably toy-like look. I also want to see real photos of the unit, or even actual real units to judge the plastic/build quality. I know I was really put off by the look & feel of plastic used for SP, after I saw the initial promo pictures which made it look all sexy and expensive.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Marconelly said:
Obviously, this is much better. The only problem with the DS physical design (old and new) is that it's screens cover so little of the unit's surface that it has an inescapably toy-like look. I also want to see real photos of the unit, or even actual real units to judge the plastic/build quality. I know I was really put off by the look & feel of plastic used for SP, after I saw the initial promo pictures which made it look all sexy and expensive.

do you buy handhelds to play or to put on display in some glass showcase???

;)

my frothing demand increases! I may have to import this one dont think i can wait until 2005, stupid Nintendo missing the boat with europe AGAIN

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Looks better when it's closed, no bigger improvement when it's opened though. And it's still looks too thick.

i fixed some stuff on this new design.
i dont like the edges and i DO not like it that there aint no analog!!!!

EDIT: ok you have to imagine that there is a HOLE in the top lid, as i forgot to make a hole for the analog stick. :)

newDS.jpg

Top Bottom