• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS: the new design !

daMandus

Scrow said:
I'm going to wait for the DS SP.

Seems like your wait is over. This is the SP :p

But I'm still going to wait for more colors. And for some good games to be released, I'm sure they will come since Animal Crossing and Wario Ware is enough.

That looks fantastic! I was never a big fan of the original design and was always jealous of how sexy the PSP was. But I actually like the new DS better then the PSP! Me want!!!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
My one must-have for this, thusfar, is Animal Crossing. A massive must-have if it's playable over wireless networks.

The thing to remember though, is that Nintendo has barely shown any of the actual software for the system yet. E3 was all about tech demos and potential..I imagine the next time it is shown, the experience will be quite different.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I gotta have Mario 64x4 at launch. Damn is that gonna be great. Having magnificant technicolor memories of September 1996 over here. And the Mario 64 soundtrack is going to rule coming out of the stereo speakers in the unit!

Socreges

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
Pretty much. :(
:(

I like the system quite a bit. The software, save Wario Ware DS, has been so poor, though. I can only hope that we see some new software soon.

Also, I hope the lack of an analog stick encourages developers to make 2D games, rather than 3D ones. I already have home consoles kthx.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Lost Weekend said:
I gotta have Mario 64x4 at launch. Damn is that gonna be great. Having magnificant technicolor memories of September 1996 over here. And the Mario 64 soundtrack is going to rule coming out of the stereo speakers in the unit!

It's another potential, but not a definite for me yet. I need more visibility on their plans - will the single player game be included, and how many levels will appear in the multiplayer mode? I'm not sure of those factors yet..I got the impression that not all the levels (or even most) would be 4-player enabled, and that the single player game may not be included. Also, there's an issue of control for me..but we'll see. Like I say, I think we'll get a really good look at the lineup proper in the next couple of months.

Hero

Hot neon sex.

Although I'd still rather have 2D games on handhelds than 3D, Nintendo should put a Neo Geo Pocket Color 'analog' stick somewhere.

Hot and sexy. I love this new design, especilly how it looks in the clamshell. Not at all like the SP and it looks much more sleek than the SP as well. Now I have no reason NOT to buy this, it looks too good.

Where are the GBA and DS slots? I can't tell on my monitor, the black comes out too dark to make out anything.

Vieo

Square should re-release Secret of Evermore on this thing, then release Secret of Evermore 2 for it. After that, they should give us Chrono Trigger 2. =P

Looks terrific, hopefully this will open up the floodgates and we'll actually get a proper look at some of the games. It's practically August and this baby is launching in November and we've seen next to nothing.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Um, it looks a bit like a Lynx 2 with a vanity mirror Selotaped to the top! ;-)

atari_lynx2.jpg

Delightful though, innit?

There's also the point that when Reggie says, "We've defeated nine challengers and once again we're prepared to win," doesn't this contradict the ever-affirmed line that the DS has nothing to do with any Game Boy programs?

ourumov

bttfii3.jpg

"Hello. Anybody home?"

20 titles from Nintendo itself !!!! Do you remember you have a GC that is screaming for games ? I hate when companies fuck big userbases and they are happy because the next system has great support.
Fuck DS support, I want my GC games now.

GDGF

Soothsayer
The DS is the new Gameboy. If Nintendo didn't want it to happen, developers certainly did. One of the IGN guys said a few weeks ago that nearly every GBA developer he talked to has already made the switch to DS.

Chrono

Banned
Folder said:
Um, it looks a bit like a Lynx 2 with a vanity mirror Selotaped to the top! ;-)

atari_lynx2.jpg

Delightful though, innit?

That looks more like the PSP actually.

There's also the point that when Reggie says, "We've defeated nine challengers and once again we're prepared to win," doesn't this contradict the ever-affirmed line that the DS has nothing to do with any Game Boy programs?

wuh? No it does not contradict anything. He was talking about Nintendo taking on challenges-- PR stuff. Nothing more and nothing less. Just curious, what is DS's involvement with game boy judging from only that quote? (yeah the DS does look like it should be the next game boy but I'm talking specifically about that quote :p )

Just awesome. I'm really diggin the art deco style for nintendo's portables as of late. Looks damn classy now!

Goodbye plastic toy gizmo. Hello sexy metallic sweet thang!

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
ourumov said:
20 titles from Nintendo itself !!!! Do you remember you have a GC that is screaming for games ?
I sincerely doubt DS is taking much, if anything, away from GC.

ourumov

I think the marketing move was to make some believe there would be a GBA 2 to fight PSP...Perhaps it will come but not in the near future. That's all Nintendo has to fight PSP. God Bless the Rings...ehrrr Nintendo.

cybamerc

Lost Weekend said:
The DS is the new Gameboy. If Nintendo didn't want it to happen, developers certainly did. One of the IGN guys said a few weeks ago that nearly every GBA developer he talked to has already made the switch to DS.
Of course. NDS has cheaper media. It's not a huge problem for Nintendo though as they can keep GBA alive with their own software. The more devs on the NDS the better in fact.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Chrono said:
Just curious, what is DS's involvement with game boy judging from only that quote? (yeah the DS does look like it should be the next game boy but I'm talking specifically about that quote :p )

The quote was obviously directed at Sony's entry into the market...thus, suggested that DS is now Nintendo's prime focus as a handheld => DS is a "gameboy" in everything but name. I'm sure the GameBoy brand will be explicitly attached to their next handheld after DS, but even as it stands, I already consider the DS to be the next GB...just a different type of GB, which allows the GBA to co-exist with it for the time being. They're avoiding the GB name to keep the GBA alive just in case the market doesn't react well to their "innovation" with DS.

ourumov

I sincerely doubt DS is taking much, if anything, away from GC.

Well, I would consider that DS!=GBA. We are no longer talking about cheap 2D SNES ports but about N64 ports/ new stuff. New stuff that is 3D.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Shoryuken said:
It doesn't look anything like the Lynx 2.

Just the lower section. I think it does a little, the angles and the screen... The little winking smilie idiciated that I was kinda joking. :)

GDGF

Soothsayer
huzkee said:
Just awesome. I'm really diggin the art deco style for nintendo's portables as of late.

That's exactly the art movement I was trying to remember. It looks very art deco. I love it :)

cybamerc

ourumov said:
Well, I would consider that DS!=GBA. We are no longer talking about cheap 2D SNES ports but about N64 ports/ new stuff. New stuff that is 3D.
Nintendo has stated that the focus of NDS is 2D. Either way they're not putting their best 3d programmers on NDS I'm sure.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Chrono said:
That looks more like the PSP actually.

wuh? No it does not contradict anything. He was talking about Nintendo taking on challenges-- PR stuff. Nothing more and nothing less. Just curious, what is DS's involvement with game boy judging from only that quote? (yeah the DS does look like it should be the next game boy but I'm talking specifically about that quote :p )

If you say. "The DS is a stand-alone project - nothing to do with the Game Boy."

You can't say, "However, it will succeed because the Game Boy did."

That is a contradiction. Isn't it? At least in basic logic.

Chrono

Banned
Folder said:
If you say. "The DS is a stand-alone project - nothing to do with the Game Boy."

You can't say, "However, it will succeed because the Game Boy did."

That is a contradiction. Isn't it? At least in basic logic.

If you take the comment literally then yes. Saying "it will succeed because the Game Boy did" is just Nintendo saying they have a strong place in the hand held market and the DS is, even though different then gameboy, still a hand held. Imagine sony saying PSP will succeed because the playstation did-- it would not mean the psp is replacing the playstion but only that Sony is bullish about taking another bite of the game market like they did with the playstation. It just means they are aggressive about it and plan to "take over" like they did with the PSX. It's all PR. :)

Lionheart

ourumov said:
bttfii3.jpg

"Hello. Anybody home?"

20 titles from Nintendo itself !!!! Do you remember you have a GC that is screaming for games ? I hate when companies fuck big userbases and they are happy because the next system has great support.
Fuck DS support, I want my GC games now.
Exactly what I was thinking. I really doubt they are able to fully support 4 systems as Revolution software seems to be in planning as well... :( I think the new Zelda will be the last big release from Nintendo on the GameCube.

Anyway, the new design looks HOT!

I like it. It's more angular and sleek, definitely more interesting to look at. The first design was a bit plain and bland. I also like the color scheme… should be more appealing to a broader demographic.

I remember being at a Nintendo press event where they asked everyone who handled the DS what they thought. Everyone said it needed bigger buttons and the reps all wrote it down. It seems they listened. Nice, nice job.

Killbin

Banned
TheGreenGiant said:
I'll be the first to say it but I now think the DS looks better than PSP. visually

As for specs+usability

clam shell +1
power/battery life +1

The DS owns the little PSP bitch
Oh come on, fanboy. Stop that shit.
I think the design of the DS looks like.....well..crap. But I don't post it because I know I'm gonna start a war with that.
So just love your DS and good.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Chrono said:
It just means they are aggressive about it and plan to "take over" like they did with the PSX. It's all PR. :)

Sure I agree. But it's also demonstrating that the DS was a knee-jerk reaction to PSP and the (obvious lies) spouted by Nintendo at the time, namely that the DS wasn't a knee-jerk reaction to the PSP and that it clearly is a rushed update the Game Boy project proper are just that - Obvious lies.

I love Nintendo but this does illustrate the company's cynical stance in the handheld market. If the PSP did not exist, the DS would not exist. And we'd all be playing ancient, rehashed software on machines that should be capable of so much more.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
FortNinety said:
I remember being at a Nintendo press event where they asked everyone who handled the DS what they thought. Everyone said it needed bigger buttons and the reps all wrote it down. It seems they listened. Nice, nice job.

Totally true. At the London showing NEO's rep stated that the whole point of showing the machine to as many journalists as possible was to guage reaction and mage augmentations to its design. Operating in this way is clearly the future.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Killbin said:
Oh come on, fanboy. Stop that shit.
I think the design of the DS looks like.....well..crap. But I don't post it because I know I'm gonna start a war with that.
So just love your DS and good.

To be fair, this is a DS thread. I do believe he's allowed to say that he likes the design better (certainly in this safehaven)

I think DS looks better than the PSP now, too BTW :)

Killbin

Banned
Lost Weekend said:
I think DS looks better than the PSP now, too BTW :)
Yeah, because you are a Nintendofan. It could look like a banana and you would still say that.
But ok, I'm quiet. Go ahead!

GDGF

Soothsayer
Anyway, I am so looking forward to seeing what alternative colors this thing will launch in. Plat looks very very sexy, but a metallic blue would be great as well! Anyone remember what colors the GBA launched with? We'll probably see the same choices (at first at least)

Chrono

Banned
Killbin said:
Yeah, because you are a Nintendofan. It could look like a banana and you would still say that.
But ok, I'm quiet. Go ahead!

For the record I'm a Nintendo fan and I would HATE a banana DS design. :)

GDGF

Soothsayer
I wouldn't expect to see any indigio Nintendo hardware ever again :)

Hopefully we'll get the Platinum and some metallic colors. That would be nice (Especially a nice metallic banana yellow!)

Top Bottom