• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS: the new design !

Kon Tiki

Banned
Mama Smurf said:
Is a mouse really better than a stylus? I'm just imagining drawing a Pac-Man with a mouse and then with a stylus, and stylus would definitely be easier.

I can't really think of a situation where the mouse would be better, now that i try.

Does the stylus have buttons? Remember that you lose the controls on the left side (or right side if your left handed) when holding a stylus. In this case, a mouse with 5 buttons/functions (right click, left click, mouse wheel depressed, mouse wheel +, mouse wheel -) would be better.

Deg

Banned
for fps stuff a mouse is better.

But a stylus is different because you can be 'off the screen'. Also you can use fingers. Its a touch screen afterall. Taks that require natural movement of the hand will be more attuned to a the touch screen. + people not good at controllers or mice can use it :p

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Metroid Prime Hunters for one. Any game that simulates an FPS basically.

I can see why it'd be better in terms of not having your hand covering the screen at all, but apart from that you're still going to be stuck with controlling the game as if using a stylus, even if you are using a mouse.

Does the stylus have buttons? Remember that you lose the controls on the left side (or right side if your left handed) when holding a stylus. In this case, a mouse with 5 buttons/functions (right click, left click, mouse wheel depressed, mouse wheel +, mouse wheel -) would be better.

Once again, we're talking in terms of the DS being emulated. There's not going to be any point in those mouse buttons as any decently designed DS game isn't going to require you to use buttons with the hand you're already using the stylus with.

I think the stylus would work for things like RTS games.

Quick, somebody tell Blizzard to make a Starcraft DS with Wi-Fi capabilities.

Deg

Banned
IAmtheFMan said:
I think the stylus would work for things like RTS games.

Quick, somebody tell Blizzard to make a Starcraft DS with Wi-Fi capabilities.

I think the DS media size will come in handy for strategy games. Come on Blizzard.

cvxfreak

AniHawk said:
Found it. :)

043506big.jpg

Looks like a real blend between the N64 and the GC.

We could dream...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I could go for Diablo DS. TAP TAP TAP

Sonic Team should make a PSO online game for the DS, that would be so sweet

The redesign is really nice and all...But I'm really interested in learning more about the software. I hope that now that Nintendo revealed the final design, they will continue on with a media blitz. I want to see more games and hear more info.

Zaptruder

Banned
lol... that's a great photoshop.

But it still looks sexy... goes to show how sexy they've managed to look a piece of metallic rectangular block.

MaddenNFL64

Nintendo sexed it up nicely :).

And I think developers will find a way to use the touch screen as a pseudo analog stick soon enough.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Somebody make with the NDS photoshopping in various colors, and see if you can't get one done up to look like a SNES (ala NES edition GBASP)

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Much better. Needs an analog stick.

But I'm not a handheld gamer anyway.

sasimirobot

Well...before this thread gets derailed...

I was just interested in how they worked the ergonomics out on the bottom.

Some people where complaining that it was hard to hold with one hand and use the stylus with the other.
Maybe there grooves or rounded handles or soft rubber (kinda like the camera stick for GC controller) on the bottom?

Hands on should be coming soon I guess.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
The more I think about it, the less likely it is that the DS will be out this year. Software is very vague, Nintendo redesigned the actual hardware, there are no specifics about a date or price point only a few months away from the purported launch...this is coming out next spring.

True, but we also have a few clues that it'll be out in November. EA have given a release date of November for the Urbz DS, I don't think they'd have done that unless Nintendo had told them November is set in stone. I'd imagine over the next few weeks we'll be seeing a lot more of the DS and it's games, surely it's about time.

Memles

Guileless said:
The more I think about it, the less likely it is that the DS will be out this year. Software is very vague, Nintendo redesigned the actual hardware, there are no specifics about a date or price point only a few months away from the purported launch...this is coming out next spring.

The thing is...Nintendo has spefically not shown hardware. All of next month, plans are to tour Japan with the DS (And likely Launch software). In the States, there is already the Urbz announced for November, and chances are they'll be revealing more third party titles as the weeks go on. Rather than have a huge unveiling for the system, they seem to be almost low key right now, waiting until everything is finalized. Or maybe they simply want to wait until TGS ends and resteal their thunder from the PSP. Who knows...but either way, Nintendo is looking like they're ready for November...hell, IGN is even insinuating that it may launch Stateside first.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Guileless said:
I think most, if not all of these details (including a full launch line-up), will be revealed in August.

wazoo

The days where you had to unveil everything well in advance for the press are over. Now with internet, you know that you can allow a late unveiling, those which will targeted by the lauch shipment will get the information.

Mama Smurf

Nintendo have a retailers product guide thing in Japan on August 1st, I imagine plenty of things will be revealed/leaked then, including price of course.

u_neek

Mama Smurf said:
Nintendo have a retailers product guide thing in Japan on August 1st, I imagine plenty of things will be revealed/leaked then, including price of course.

wee that's great..

can't wait to see some actual games..

Jacobi

Banned
Mama Smurf said:
Tomorrow ? Cool. I thought this would take place on August 4th...But teh earlier is teh better :)

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
These are titles that Nintendo is reffering to being actual titles. There are more, but these are the ones we have seen:

Bomberman (Hudson)
Egg Monster Heroes (Square-Enix)
Metroid Prime: Hunters (Nintendo)
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed (Bandia)
Pac-Pix (Namco)
Pictochat (Nintendo)
Super Mario 64X4
Warioware, Inc. DS
Yu-Gi-Oh!: Nightmare Troubadour (Konami)

These are titles that they've reffered to as just tech demos:

Table Hockey
Carving
Special Effects
Mario's Face
Balloon Trip
Nintendogs
Submarine

Don't ask me how they distinguish between a real project and tech demo.

Mama Smurf

Well that Pikachu game was supposed to be just a demo, but I have a hard time believing it won't be turned into a game. It looked great graphically, would appeal to Pokemon fans and is absolutely perfect for the DS's capabilities.

As for the retailers' summit, I don't know that DS stuff will be shown, but it seems like it'd be ridiculous if it wasn't. Plus I hardly think the timing of the new design's revealing is coincidental.

Memles

JJConrad said:
These are titles that they've reffered to as just tech demos:
Table Hockey

I fully expect Table Hockey to be included, along with Pictochat, as pseudo MSN Games...something cheap that you don't have to pay for that all people with systems can use to play mutliplayer, even without a game.

AniHawk

Mama Smurf said:
Well that Pikachu game was supposed to be just a demo, but I have a hard time believing it won't be turned into a game. It looked great graphically, would appeal to Pokemon fans and is absolutely perfect for the DS's capabilities.

I think it would be included in a game.. Making it a Hey You, Pikachu! 2 would suck, despite how well the N64 game sold.

Maybe an unlockable dealy for DS hardware on the upcoming Pokemon Emerald or something (similar to the shops in Oracle of Ages and Seasons).

AniHawk said:
Maybe an unlockable dealy for DS hardware on the upcoming Pokemon Emerald or something (similar to the shops in Oracle of Ages and Seasons).
It would be pretty awesome if they worked something like that into Emerald, but I'd rather see gameplay enhancements (could they program a GBA game to use both screens, or the touchscreen?).

Top Bottom