• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS: the new design !

I think it's looking a lot smarter now. I'd like to see a photo of an actual tangible unit of this thing so I know it's not a render or anything though.

It reminds me of a cigerette case / specs case / drinks canister. Except much better looking and with 'dual screen handheld gaming with optional use of stylus' inside.

I'd like to see the stylus that matches this unit too.

Thom

AniHawk

Don't know how I missed this thread...

Damn, that new design looks nice. I wonder if they gave the buttons the soft click feel of the console controllers rather than the hard click of the GBA SP (which always bothered me).

I can't believe how awesome NDS looks! Man, it b***h slaps PSP in the face!!!!!

No analog stick?

Is it possible that using the stylus pen as an analog stick to use in 3-D games?

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Not to revisit this again, but Kojima-san explicitly stated that they decided to make MG Acid turn based because of the PSP's lack of true "analog control." Anyhow, the new design bodes well for Nintendo as well as for the Revolution's upcoming design. I cannot wait to see what it will look like.

AniHawk

Li Mu Bai said:
Not to revisit this again, but Kojima-san explicitly stated that they decided to make MG Acid turn based because of the PSP's lack of true "analog control." Anyhow, the new design bodes well for Nintendo as well as for the Revolution's upcoming design. I cannot wait to see what it will look like.

Yeah, hopefully it means Revolution will look cool as well. That mockup, "Nexus" looked nice if I'm remembering it correctly.

Li Mu Bai said:

Honestly, Metal Gear Ac!d would work even better on DS. Touch the screen to pick a card.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Chrono said:
I guess we'll see true handheld analog control on the GBA2.. the one that'll play Gamcube ports. :)

Fixed ;)

I'd love for it to happen but I don't see any miracles happening in the next 5 years that will allow Nintendo to get a decent amount of battery life out of a GC portable. They may just stick with the DS media.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Not to revisit this again, but Kojima-san explicitly stated that they decided to make MG Acid turn based because of the PSP's lack of true "analog control."
He never used those words. What he said is that the team that makes the game thought that handheld console by the nature of it's use cannot have the player perform the same precise input as it can be done on the home console (where you are sitting firmly and playing)

Some weird logic, if you ask me, but he definitely never said that the PSP lacks true analog control.

Memles

Marconelly said:
Some weird logic, if you ask me, but he definitely never said that the PSP lacks true analog control.

What I think the comment was used for in this situation was to show that, while everyone believes an analog stick like the PSPs will be a savior for the DS, the PSP one isn't exactly perfection, although definitely making 3D Platformers more serviceable.

If the PSP analog stick isn't able to make a game like MGS possible in the eyes of the development team, then likely it wouldn't lead to brilliance on the DS either.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Marconelly said:
He never used those words. What he said is that the team that makes the game thought that handheld console by the nature of it's use cannot have the player perform the same precise input as it can be done on the home console (where you are sitting firmly and playing)

I'll search for that quote marco.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Marconelly said:

I remember what he said, but I still believe the reality of the situation was that he knew he would be unable to make the Metal Gear Solid game that he knew people expected without greatly reducing the PSP's battery life (as it would most certainly be one of those 2.5 hour battery killers Kutaragi spoke about), and since Metal Gear games are often finished in one run through (after their first initial beating) making one that you couldn't beat in one sitting due to battery issues made the whole project not worth the effort.

Sriram

I would have prefered it if the edges were flush when closed like the sp. Apart from that, I quite like it though, all they need iss to bring it out in pink at launch (photoshop anyone?).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I remember what he said, but I still believe the reality of the situation was that he knew he would be unable to make the Metal Gear Solid game that he knew people expected without greatly reducing the PSP's battery life (as it would most certainly be one of those 2.5 hour battery killers Kutaragi spoke about), and since Metal Gear games are often finished in one run through (after their first initial beating) making one that you couldn't beat in one sitting due to battery issues made the whole project not worth the effort.
Riiight... that must be it.

Games like Metal Gear Solid defeat the point of portability. There are some rather action oriented elements that would be distracting, not to mention the massive story you're meant to be paying attention to.

I just think games you can have a quick bash at every now and then, games that don't require long-term concentration, turn based type games etc suit the market better.

epmode said:
omfg it's thom yorke! and he likes the ds!!

I had to resist the urge to just leave that comment and hope a Thom Yorke / Nintendo DS story made a headline somewhere. But that would have been daft. Big radiohead fan and my name is Thom too. :p Just coincidence really. They played Oxford on my 18th birthday too (3 years ago) which was another weird coincidence. I was wholly expecting the planets to align on my 21st birthday earlier this month and have them knocking at my door to party hard with me or something. No such luck.

Thom

Kudie

Looks much better! I like how they made the D-pad a little bit bigger, or so it seems; I think the GBA's d-pad is way too small.

However, they need to put in an analog stick. I can't imagine playing any of the 3-D games with a D-pad, let alone one that small; it's possible, but will most likely hinder my play.

Mirk

Woohoo late to the party. looks great and its got stereo. Thats all I wanted them
to change. Lets just hope they get loud enough.

I'd like to see an analog d pad actually.

You'd only really need four directions... It'd just go off of X axis and Y axis pressure. I think this would be just as good as analog for 3d games IMO and also double as the perfect 2d control feature for those games too.

Thom

ge-man said:
That sidesrolling Mario game looked neat. I would love to have Mario game that plays a lot like quest mode in SSM:B. All they need to do is find a clever way of using the bottom screen--something in the vain of Four Swords where you pulled into a different section yet you have to keep track of what's going on in both realms.

I have a cool idea that could work. Think of Super Mario Bros. 2 which had the Subcon World. Now imagine having the normal world on the top screen, and a Subcon-type world on the bottom. Give Mario the power to make a red door pop up at anytime to switch between the two, and let some awesome gameplay ensue.

GDGF

Soothsayer
That's actually a pretty cool idea. I think we'll see plenty of gameplay on top screen influences environment on bottom screen ideas for the DS. Maybe Square will give us a Chrono Trigger or Nintendo a Zelda that will work in such a fashion.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
BobbyRobby said:
I have a cool idea that could work. Think of Super Mario Bros. 2 which had the Subcon World. Now imagine having the normal world on the top screen, and a Subcon-type world on the bottom. Give Mario the power to make a red door pop up at anytime to switch between the two, and let some awesome gameplay ensue.

This could not be done using a single screen or could it ?

Edit: actually if you add some more ideas to your concept it could not be done ona single screen.

Say that you needed to see the layout of the second "world" to appropriately open the doors... yeah that woudl work.

Panajev2001a said:
This could not be done using a single screen or could it ?

Edit: actually if you add some more ideas to your concept it could not be done ona single screen.

Say that you needed to see the layout of the second "world" to appropriately open the doors... yeah that woudl work.

Well, in my vison this subcon-esque world would not simply be for acquiring power-ups. It would have its own unique enemies and obstacles. You wouldn't want to blindly enter it.

Edit: what you said too.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Although this is totally off topic, and to diffuse the demons inside me, yes I will be buying this at/near launch like so many other Nintendo hardware products;

This thought just came to me.

GBA emulation is huge, bigger than what most people think of it as and still Nintendo make a decent profit from it all (probably due to over-priced games, that's another issue altogether)..

What will happen when someone decides, "OMFG new "suchandsuch" title on DS!!@#$ where's my EMU!!1".

As far as I can see it, emulation of the DS is somewhat unforseeable. 2 screens, one 2D, the other 3D.. PLUS the use of a touchscreen. Is this maybe a 2nd plan that Nintendo had wanted all along? (knowing how ruthless they are against GBA emulation, even to the point of "licensing" the patent to themselves)

Thoughts?

AniHawk said:
Yeah, hopefully it means Revolution will look cool as well. That mockup, "Nexus" looked nice if I'm remembering it correctly.
The Nexus was made by an IGN boards user named Paladin69, if I remember correctly. Completely fake, but completely professional too. He's quite the talent.

AniHawk

speedpop said:
Although this is totally off topic, and to diffuse the demons inside me, yes I will be buying this at/near launch like so many other Nintendo hardware products;

GBA emulation is huge, bigger than what most people think of it as and still Nintendo make a decent profit from it all (probably due to over-priced games, that's another issue altogether)..

What will happen when someone decides, "OMFG new "suchandsuch" title on DS!!@#$ where's my EMU!!1".

As far as I can see it, emulation of the DS is somewhat unforseeable. 2 screens, one 2D, the other 3D.. PLUS the use of a touchscreen. Is this maybe a 2nd plan that Nintendo had wanted all along? (knowing how ruthless they are against GBA emulation, even to the point of "licensing" the patent to themselves)

Thoughts?

Yes, I thought about that as well at first. Though, where there's a will, there's a way. DS emulation will definitely be harder than GBA emulation, but instead of a touch screen, they could just have the mouse do the work along with the buttons on the keyboard. I doubt it'll be as widespread as GBA emulation however.

Multiple screens and a touchscreen can be simulated and emulated. Trust me. It wouldn't be exactly the same, but so what?

Justin Bailey

------ ------
speedpop said:

Thoughts?
Yeah, I wonder if someone would be able to program an emu to use two different windows and use a mouse pointer over the bottom window to mimic the DS touchscreen. . .

AniHawk

metsallica said:
The Nexus was made by an IGN boards user named Paladin69, if I remember correctly. Completely fake, but completely professional too. He's quite the talent.

Found it. :)

043506big.jpg

Looks like a real blend between the N64 and the GC.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
AniHawk said:
Found it. :)

043506big.jpg

Looks like a real blend between the N64 and the GC.
I forgot how awesome that looked, not to mention the cool features (except maybe make the controllers "optional" wireless). Nintendo should definitely go with this for their next console.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Is a mouse really better than a stylus? I'm just imagining drawing a Pac-Man with a mouse and then with a stylus, and stylus would definitely be easier.

I can't really think of a situation where the mouse would be better, now that i try.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Mama Smurf said:
Is a mouse really better than a stylus? I'm just imagining drawing a Pac-Man with a mouse and then with a stylus, and stylus would definitely be easier.

I can't really think of a situation where the mouse would be better, now that i try.

Metroid Prime Hunters for one. Any game that simulates an FPS basically.

Top Bottom